• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump widens his lead over closest GOP rival (NBC/WSJ poll)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see Trump with Rubio.

doesn't make sense. Trump is weak with the evangelical crowd, which he will need to turn out since women and minorities will be voting for hillary en masse against him.

The only candidates that have any pull with that crowd are Huckabee, Carson, and Cruz, and the first two aren't viable.

doesn't make sense. Trump is weak with the evangelical crowd, which he will need to turn out since women and minorities will be voting for hillary en masse against him.

The only candidates that have any pull with that crowd are Huckabee, Carson, and Cruz, and the first two aren't viable.

I don't foresee Trump tapping any of the other candidates for VP. I think he'll go for a woman not involved in politics. Someone like Carly Fiorina that isn't Carly Fiorina.

If Petraeus were still viable I could see Trump going in that direction for his VP pick.

If Petraeus were viable he'd probably be running. I agree though, that would also be a good call.

I don't foresee Trump tapping any of the other candidates for VP. I think he'll go for a woman not involved in politics. Someone like Carly Fiorina that isn't Carly Fiorina.

Pointless. McCain tried nominating Palin in 08 to bring women to the GOP and it didn't work. There's no way to win women in this match. Women naturally gravitate to the democratic party overall (The GOP has been attacking abortion, reproductive rights, and planned parenthood for so long that this one is a given), and Hillary at the top of the ticket is going to move far more casual/indpendent voters than a VP pick.

noshten

Guys you are being far too predictable with the Trump VP nomination.
He will turn the whole process into a Political Reality and a person who applied will end up his VP.
The Vprentice

I'm in Arizona visiting my wifes family. Most of them are staunch conservatives. We were at her uncles house(Republican) and her aunt(Democrat) was there. They started talking polotics and the uncle said he really liked Trump which isn't to much of a shocker. Her aunt though said if Hillary gets the nomination she would vote for Trump.

Calamari41

41 > 38
If Petraeus were viable he'd probably be running. I agree though, that would also be a good call.

Yeah, good point. Either way, I think he has to steer clear of "politicians" and go for someone respected in either the military or the private sector. A Petraeus or a Mark Cuban over some Senator or Governor. Trump's whole campaign is based on the idea that those types are scumbags who we can't rely on anymore.

rjinaz

I'm in Arizona visiting my wifes family. Most of them are staunch conservatives. We were at her uncles house(Republican) and her aunt(Democrat) was there. They started talking polotics and the uncle said he really liked Trump which isn't to much of a shocker. Her aunt though said if Hillary gets the nomination she would vote for Trump.

I wonder if she was serious though . Sometimes we say things just to appease family members.

Also.

GO CARDS!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Trump could do two things for his VP pick: either get one of the current candidates, just to reassure the establishment, or get another outsider to try and really outdo the Democrat ticket and reinforce the anti-establishment message.

Sapiens

No opinion on Trump, but it fascinating watching people like Christie, Bush and Rubio drop the ball this bad.

Holmes

Trump is launching some vicious attacks against Cruz on Twitter.

He ain't going to be his VP.
I thought so too, but after Trump's "if Cruz wins, his eligibility will be tied up in the courts for years" comments, I don't think so anymore either. I'm moving my prediction to Rick Scott.

TDLink

If he goes with one of the current candidates they only one I can really see Trump choosing would be John Kasich. But I don't find that incredibly realistic either. It will likely be someone entirely different. It definitely won't be Cruz, Jeb, or Rubio.

Good choices for Trump would be Carly Fiorina, Susana Martinez - hispanic female governor of New Mexico - or Mia Love, a black congresswoman from Utah.

No opinion on Trump, but it fascinating watching people like Christie, Bush and Rubio drop the ball this bad.

Yeah, I'm really curious to see how the next primary season shapes up for the GOP in 2020. Will the establishment regain control with more appealing candidates? Will the "government is bad and therefore politicians are bad" sentiment continue onward? Will the party legitimately splinter? There's really no uninteresting direction.

ZPs

Honestly, given polls and how the electorate works on a national scale....

Trump v Clinton likely results in a comfortable Clinton win.

Trump v Sanders? Trump has obvious flaws as a candidate on a national level, but Sanders might end up being just as flawed if not moreso when presented to a national audience. Meaning that Trump will most likely have a legitimate chance of winning if this is indeed the matchup.

Sanders in many ways is effectively the democratic party's version of Trump. A candidate who enjoys much larger support in the primary process than he could hope to achieve in a general election. He's not nearly as dominant as Trump in the primary process, but if he does manage to defeat Hillary, I think all bets are off in terms of who wins the election later this year.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Trump is launching some vicious attacks against Cruz on Twitter.

He ain't going to be his VP.

If Trump won the nomination picking Cruz as his VP would be a HUGE mistake. You're supposed to pick a VP that can garner you additional votes or who will bolster a quality you are lacking such as certain experience. Ted Cruz is in no way an asset to Trump, Cruz speaks to the same base as Trump, the far-right, so he wouldn't be gaining any new votes with Cruz as VP and would likely hinder any new votes needed for the general. Second, Cruz doesn't possess any experience that Trump is lacking, the main area Trump lacks in is foreign policy and Ted Cruz is in no way a foreign policy wonk.

Of the primary candidates already already up there Marco Rubio or Kaisch would be Trump's best VP picks. That said, there are probably a few "outsiders" who Trump could turn to.

fritolay

Can someone for the love of God, tell me what people see in Cruz? I can understand why Trump is popular, but Cruz? Guy looks like a creepy scumbag.

Well if you are a offended by Trump, such as a minority, then you go to Cruz which is the opposite of Trump people think.

params7

Banned
It was obvious in the last debate the ideological differences between Trump/Cruz. They're not going to be in the ticket together. Trump might just get someone from outside the race.

It was obvious in the last debate the ideological differences between Trump/Cruz. They're not going to be in the ticket together. Trump might just get someone from outside the race.
Trump is going to pick Palin lol
landscape-1438185027-gettyimages-114965052.jpg

FiggyCal

Banned
Herman Cain recently endorsed Trump. If he hadn't had that sex scandal he would have made an excellent VP candidate.

Edit: I think Cruz blew it. Maybe we'll get Ann Coulter. The possibilities are endless.

If he wins the primary, the nomination could still go to someone else, no? Isn't there some kinda voting that occurs at the convention?

HylianTom

Banned
If he wins the primary, the nomination could still go to someone else, no? Isn't there some kinda voting that occurs at the convention?

If I recall correctly, delegates won are bound by party rules to be faithful to their pledged candidate. If the vote on the floor goes to a second round, they are free to vote their conscience, or wheel-and-deal. So if Trump wins an outright majority of delegates, there is no way for them to deny him the nomination.

maxcriden

If I recall correctly, delegates won are bound by party rules to be faithful to their pledged candidate. If the vote on the floor goes to a second round, they are free to vote their conscience, or wheel-and-deal. So if Trump wins an outright majority of delegates, there is no way for them to deny him the nomination.

It would be really bizarre... And unprecedented, right? I think there was a recent thread about the RNC wanting to consider a brokered convention in a scenario of Trump winning the nomination based on the Primaries, though...lemme see if I can find it...

Edit:

here it is:

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1154741

Pointless. McCain tried nominating Palin in 08 to bring women to the GOP and it didn't work. There's no way to win women in this match. Women naturally gravitate to the democratic party overall (The GOP has been attacking abortion, reproductive rights, and planned parenthood for so long that this one is a given), and Hillary at the top of the ticket is going to move far more casual/indpendent voters than a VP pick.

I thought Mccain got Serah in because he actually thought she was smart and goofed.

We need a young, charismatic, black American-Muslim to run for the Democrats and then be endorsed by Pres Obama. The day that happens would make Fox News box office.

HylianTom

Banned
It would be really bizarre... And unprecedented, right? I think there was a recent thread about the RNC wanting to consider a brokered convention in a scenario of Trump winning the nomination based on the Primaries, though...lemme see if I can find it...

Edit:

here it is:

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1154741

For the modern era, it's pretty much unprecedented. The closest comparison made is usually Goldwater in 1964, and that's a bit tenuous, given that he was entrenched in party politics for a long time before running and beating his party's establishment.

No matter what, we're going to see something special happen: either a true outsider is really going to be nominated (the "It's Happening" Scenario), or this will be the first time where a frontrunner leads the race for so long and then completely collapses, leaving the process in chaos.

It's going to be fascinating to watch! *popcorn.gif*

FiggyCal

Banned
We need a young, charismatic, black American-Muslim to run for the Democrats and then be endorsed by Pres Obama. The day that happens would make Fox News box office.

The dems would lose a lot of independents, so it probably wouldn't happen.

I wonder if the opposite could happen though. A Muslim running as a conservative republican; extremely hawkish and tax cut crazy. I think that would legitimize him for the group of people that would otherwise be dismissive.

FiggyCal

Banned
Why must the president be religious?

Bernie Sanders has made it pretty clear he's not religious at all and that doesn't seem to hurt him. Hillary Clinton said that her favorite book was the Bible and the only people that seem to care about that are the people who realize how much bullshit it is that she actually said it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom