• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft Accidentally Announces Assassin's Creed Revelation (Altair Connection?)

People keep saying "Oh well, as long as the quality is good, keep up the milking Ubi!" I really don't agree with that statement at all. If they took 2 years in between AC 2, and the next one, this year we could've had an excellent sequel instead of one pretty good half sequel last year, and what looks to be another spin off coming up.

Too much of a good thing...well you know.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Net_Wrecker said:
People keep saying "Oh well, as long as the quality is good, keep up the milking Ubi!" I really don't agree with that statement at all. If they took 2 years in between AC 2, and the next one, this year we could've had an excellent sequel instead of one pretty good half sequel last year, and what looks to be another spin off coming up.

So the multiplayer of Brotherhood isn't that good? I've been waiting for the game to hit $30 to get the singleplayer (Ezio. <3) and try that given how critics were raving about it (and get my Platinum. >:|), but so far the price hasn't been right for me.

Angry Fork

If this is for PC/PS3/360, different setting or bust. AC2 and Brotherhood were great but I think that setting is done now, something tells me Revelation will be the same setting though and basically be another Brotherhood, while AC3 will be the whole new setting.

I hope they're actually working on AC3 and not just having every team do these yearly things. I remember reading it took them like 300+ people and 4 teams to get out Brotherhood in a year maybe more, so how many people would be needed for part 3? I'm just not sure how they're managing this stuff except on a year to year basis which kinda sucks for anyone hoping for AC3.

LiK

TheSeks said:
So the multiplayer of Brotherhood isn't that good? I've been waiting for the game to hit $30 to get the singleplayer (Ezio. <3) and try that given how critics were raving about it (and get my Platinum. >:|), but so far the price hasn't been right for me.
MP is tons of fun. Especially when you play in a party with friends.

Marleyman

Banned
I am ready for more. I love the storyline and the potential to "milk" it doesn't bother me much considering the vast amount of history available.

rataven

TheSeks said:
The MP is very good; it's a relatively unique experience, and up until all the PSN nonsense, the community was really active.

The platinum is very, very tough. Two MP trophies that'll give you a run for your florins.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
TheSeks said:

I dont really like Assassin's Creed but even I have to admit the mutliplayer is pretty damn fun. It could have been such a shitty tacked on extra, but instead it integrates the single player mechanics into a multiplayer environment really well, which in turn makes the experience a very different one to all the other multiplayer titles on the market.

It's genuinely great, surprisingly so, and worth looking into.

Can't believe I almost passed on Brotherhood because I thought is was mostly focused on MP. The sp was my favorite AC of them all. Bring on more AC please!!!

WonkersTHEWatilla said:
Can't they just fucking call it Assassin's Creed 3? Jesus.

Because that's not what it is. I don't get why people can't understand this. AC3 will be the next full entry in the series, with a new character and new setting. AC1 had Altair in Crusades-era Holy Land. AC2 had Ezio in Renaissance Italy. AC 3 will have someone new in Revolutionary France.

Brotherhood wasn't AC3, not just because the marketing department didn't want it that way, because it actually WASN'T AC3. It was a smaller scale entry expanding Ezio's story.

We don't have a lot of info on Revelations, but it is clear that it will be a smaller scale entry expanding Altair's story. They're not avoiding calling it AC3 just to frustrate you, they're not calling it AC3 because it just plain isn't AC3.

dk_

Haunted said:
3 full-fledged games on PC and PS360
2 on DS
1 on PSP
1 on Facebook
1 on iPhone

And 1 more announced for the 3DS.

So roughly one Assassin's Creed game every 6 months.
Keep 'em coming, Ubisoft!

Would be cool to go back to the crusades with Altair, now with what they have done with AC2 and AC:B, the first game was kind of short changed with character and story substance with them spending more time developing the engine and shoehorning game mechanics afterwards.

Maybe use some of the story from Bloodlines with Altair going to Cyprus? Could this mean that the "Eve" Desmond is looking for could be from the bloodline of Maria, the chick we saw Altair boning in AC2?

Still though, I would like to see the next AC game have a new character and setting. I want French Revolution or the Russian setting the comic book series used.

FUCK YES!

I've been wanting another Altair story since the idea of Brotherhood demonstrated that Ubisoft was willing to expand the lore around the ancestors.

I am so excited. So ready to head back to the Crusades!

The follow-up to the original AC is so interesting.

Altair is alone. He has no Assassin clan to help him. The Templars are stronger than they've ever been, now that their enemies have been dispatched.

He's on the run. But he still has a mission.

Imagine an Assassin's Creed game where you're constantly on the run yourself, while you're hunting people down and completing missions. Totally adds a new sense of urgency when you don't have a base of operations to fall back to.

ChocolateCupcakes said:
So I guess its say to say this isn't a handheld but the official Assassin's Creed 3, right?

No. It's not safe to say that. Brotherhood was not a handheld and not AC3. Why does Revelations have to be handheld or AC3?

Angry Fork

The Antitype said:
Altair is alone. He has no Assassin clan to help him. The Templars are stronger than they've ever been, now that their enemies have been dispatched.

He's on the run. But he still has a mission.

Imagine an Assassin's Creed game where you're constantly on the run yourself, while you're hunting people down and completing missions. Totally adds a new sense of urgency when you don't have a base of operations to fall back to.
379_Bourne-Ultimatum-Kil921354.jpg

It sucks not being able to avatar quote anymore.

Doodis

Forget Altair. Just finish Desmond's story already.

I love the series, but after three games of dragging on the major plotline, I need to see some sort of resolve, here.

NullPointer said:
Step 1. Grab a broom and pick a fight with the largest armored dude you can find.
Step 2. *Whistle*
Step 3. gluk-gluk-GAR-ching-SMASH-uuugh-splatter-CLANG-ooze-groan
Step 4. Wipe hands on cloak. Walk away like A FUCKING BADASS.

Haha, yes. The broom was by far the best weapon in Brotherhood. And I hope it stays that way.

Mr_Brit said:
Give the franchise a break already! Whilst Brotherhood beat expectations to actually turn out good, there is no way they can make yet another game in a year without it being absolutely horrible and rushed. TBH I'd prefer it if they waited till next gen to make AC3.

Hell no. The AC teams are some of the few left in this industry that can deliver outstanding games in a modest development time. I'll be damned if they are going to turn into a Polyphony for the sake of people like you who feel it's too much.

Ledsen

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Hell no. The AC teams are some of the few left in this industry that can deliver outstanding games in a modest development time. I'll be damned if they are going to turn into a Polyphony for the sake of people like you who feel it's too much.

Brotherhood was basically AC 2.1, and after almost 100% it I'm dead tired of the formula. If the next game is going to be as small an evolution they should just let the franchise rest for a few years, because I have no interest whatsoever in playing that game a third time.

Crewnh said:
If it's about Altair...they should just remake the first game cause the first game is kind of crappy.

It was flawed but still great.

Honestly it was a little more austere than most games are. Felt less like a game than the next AC titles.

You had your mission, you had choices about how to get information you needed, and then you could tackle it however you wanted (one would think, influenced by the information you received).

Wasn't perfect. But I've replayed it twice, simply because the actual assassination missions are so great.

Ledsen said:
Brotherhood was basically AC 2.1, and after almost 100% it I'm dead tired of the formula. If the next game is going to be as small an evolution they should just let the franchise rest for a few years, because I have no interest whatsoever in playing that game a third time.

Your choice. I'd be more than happy to play one of the best games of 2010 again with a new setting to explore, a new character to develop, and new tweaks to the gameplay formula.

Lakitu

st5fu
Yeah, I would have liked a new setting but an Altair game would be great. Completed AC:B earlier in the year, yeah... the story is not it's strong point but damn if Rome isn't just one of my favourite places along with Venice in the series. Both incredible.

fernoca

As long as it's as good as the last 2 games, day one. Hope they start putting a closure to the story though and end the current story next year.

Irish

Finally, another GI reveal that actually has me excited. Wasn't too interested in ME3 or SR3.

I really want the next AC game to actually feel like Assassin's Creed instead of Grand Theft Assassin like both 2 and Brotherhood did.

The Storytelling/Main Character Archetype/Mission Structure/Art Style/# of Enemies of the first game combined with the Combat/Stores/Additional Weapons/Clothing Dyes/Mission Variety/Allies of the previous two games would truly be the perfect AC game to me.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
One thing I'd love to see would be an increase in difficulty. Maybe fewer enemies, but tougher to kill. Dying is so rare in AC. I just don't ever feel challenged.

jett

D-Member

LOLWUT

AC1 took four years to make, AC2 took two because the engine was already in place. The only reason AC:B was developed in a year was because they reused a shitload of assets from AC2. I liked AC:B well enough, but I don't want another rushed product. If it wasn't for Ubisoft's greedy execs Brotherhood wouldn't exist and we'd be getting the conclusion of the series this year.

Captain Pants said:
One thing I'd love to see would be an increase in difficulty. Maybe fewer enemies, but tougher to kill. Dying is so rare in AC. I just don't ever feel challenged.

The difficulty in in AC:B was a joke. In a one-on-one fight, you can't die. It's impossible. Your health regenerates so quickly that anything the enemy throws at you won't kill you.

jett said:
The difficulty in in AC:B was a joke. In a one-on-one fight, you can't die. It's impossible. Your health regenerates so quickly that anything the enemy throws at you won't kill you.
Its one of those games where death isn't really the issue. Instead of dying you get penalized by looking like a shithead getting tossed around by your enemies. Its about maintaining the aura of badassedness and making each move count.

Doodis said:
Forget Altair. Just finish Desmond's story already.

I love the series, but after three games of dragging on the major plotline, I need to see some sort of resolve, here.

you know they are going to drag and drag and drag, making shit up as it goes.. :( the series is massively succesful so what else can they do but milk it.

i'm buying the next major entry for sure though, i can't resist the beautiful open-worlds Ubi creates, heh.

Altair is so garbage in the first game, it was only in ACII where they actually gave him a decent backstory and made him kinda cool.

Ezio 4 lyfe, yo.

jett said:
LOLWUT

yep and then you have medicine on top of that, so......yea.

jett

D-Member
NullPointer said:
Its one of those games where death isn't really the issue. Instead of dying you get penalized by looking like a shithead getting tossed around by your enemies. Its about maintaining the aura of badassedness and making each move count.

I'd rather have a proper challenge. I even tried to make AC2 challenging by refusing to buy armor or use health potions. Made little difference.

so excited, but i really hope they turn down the "digital"/animus effects
i.e. the pixelated blur of the sword, the city building up when you enter a new area,...
so annoying

Irish

Criminal Upper said:
Altair is so garbage in the first game, it was only in ACII where they actually gave him a decent backstory and made him kinda cool.

Ezio 4 lyfe, yo.

Altair was always awesome. Ezio made some headway in Brotherhood, but he could still be considered a douchey frat boy.

Zeliard

jett said:
I'd rather have a proper challenge. I even tried to make AC2 challenging by refusing to buy armor or use health potions. Made little difference.

I agree it's incredibly easy but the devs are almost stuck. They'd have to basically change the setting to something more modern, i.e. with guns, to make combat that much more challenging since it's all about killing enemies quickly and efficiently with use of one-hit counters.

Since you're an assassin, that's basically how you roll. If you get into a fight the character you're playing as would want to finish things as quickly as possible and get out of there. On some level to make that work it has to be fairly easy from a mechanics standpoint.

Top Bottom