• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft Accidentally Announces Assassin's Creed Revelation (Altair Connection?)

jett said:
LOLWUT

AC1 took four years to make, AC2 took two because the engine was already in place. The only reason AC:B was developed in a year was because they reused a shitload of assets from AC2. I liked AC:B well enough, but I don't want another rushed product. If it wasn't for Ubisoft's greedy execs Brotherhood wouldn't exist and we'd be getting the conclusion of the series this year.

Or because they had 450 people working on it instead of 150. You decide.

An engine doesn't mean shit when you still have to rip half of it out and make all new assets.

rdrr gnr

Reused Asset's Creed.

I enjoyed the last game greatly, but I'm ready for the numbered sequel with a new character in a new time period.
But, I'll still buy it anyways because I'm a sucker for convoluted conspiracies and all that jazz.

Brotherhood felt really rushed to me and, in my opinion, it hurt the game. I think 2 was a better overall experience.

Not enthused about yet another game with the same cycle this year.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
AC3 obviously has to be released a few weeks before the real end of the world:p

Chorazin

ShockingAlberto said:
Brotherhood felt really rushed to me and, in my opinion, it hurt the game. I think 2 was a better overall experience.

Not enthused about yet another game with the same cycle this year.
Really? AC:B felt like the game AC2 wanted to be, but didn't have the development time to become.

AC:B was AC2 part 2. I'm pretty sure at some point during development they decided to cut it in half because it was too big.

Just because this game isn't called AC3 doesn't mean it isn't going to be developed that way. They likely are just trying to follow the lead of other games by dropping numbers to draw in players that don't like playing sequels of games they didn't play.

I think it'd be cool if Renaissance Italy and the Holy Land bled together in strange ways due to (HEAVY ACB SPOILERS)
Desmond falling into a fucked up coma at the end of ACB and trying to navigate his messed up memories and his ancestor's past lives while being left to his own by "William". Perhaps we can play as multiple protagonists... similar to him bleeding through to the Holy Land in his dream state during AC2

Also, return of Subject 16 please!

syoaran

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
I think it'd be cool if Renaissance Italy and the Holy Land bled together in strange ways due to (HEAVY ACB SPOILERS)
Desmond falling into a fucked up coma at the end of ACB and trying to navigate his messed up memories and his ancestor's past lives while being left to his own by "William". Perhaps we can play as multiple protagonists... similar to him bleeding through to the Holy Land in his dream state during AC2

Also, return of Subject 16 please!

Heavy spoilers:
I dunno if anyone else noticed this, but if you had subtitles on when playing the DLC, the last line of dialogue is something that amounts to one of the two men saying that Desmond always finds his way out of the coma, as if he has been in this situation many times before. So you might be right in the area that the game might not follow one constructive story and follow smaller ones as Desmond mind tries to work though it all -I'd also say that its more likely that we will play a new protagonist in a new setting but with a lot of bleeding effects to characters and events from the previous two games, seen in an alternative light

syoaran said:
Heavy spoilers:
I dunno if anyone else noticed this, but if you had subtitles on when playing the DLC, the last line of dialogue is something that amounts to one of the two men saying that Desmond always finds his way out of the coma, as if he has been in this situation many times before. So you might be right in the area that the game might not follow one constructive story and follow smaller ones as Desmond mind tries to work though it all -I'd also say that its more likely that we will play a new protagonist in a new setting but with a lot of bleeding effects to characters and events from the previous two games, seen in an alternative light

That would definitely be very cool. Though I interpreted that line to just mean
that Desmond is very capable of escape out of bad situations, not that the coma thing has happened to him often, but that would be an interesting route to take.

Everyone pre-complaining about reused assets, what do you do when you walk down the same street everyday in the real world? I'd imagine that your neighbors haven't painted their houses green or landscaped their yards overnight.

syoaran

Blast Processing said:
Everyone pre-complaining about reused assets, what do you do when you walk down the same street everyday in the real world? I'd imagine that your neighbors haven't painted their houses green or landscaped their yards overnight.

This argument could be used for any re-used asset of any type in any medium, and still would have no validity. They go to work every day on the exact same route, doesn't mean they want to watch the exact same TV program at the end of the day, or listen to the same piece of music on their way to work. Video games follow the same idea, re-using the same game assets eventually looses its interest because customers have seen it all before.

Italy has been done twice over and we've seen all that Ezio's story has to offer. Altiar's story I feel has been good and properly done, unless he somehow succeed in what he was trying to accomplish in his final diary entry
living on inside the Apple, much in the same way that Subject 16 has done, in fact
, but that still would not mean we would go back to that era. I also think that the current story model of doing 40% in the past, 10% in the future, 40% in the past, 10% in the future has to change in order for AC to still be fresh.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Router said:
Needs a new engine. I hope it's running a new engine.

I dont think it does. On PC, at least, Brotherhood looks downright beautiful. Brotherhood for PC has a new shadow rendering code though, so they might try and get that on consoles too.

Blast Processing said:

your analogy will make sense when i'm paying 60/40/30 bucks to walk down the same street.

PJX

DoomXploder7 said:
your analogy will make sense when i'm paying 60/40/30 bucks to walk down the same street.

If you work then you are paying to walk down the same street.

I don't remind revisiting a past setting when the setting in question is huge, beautiful, and full of varied terrain to free-run around.

Plus, REALLY, how many times have you been the middle-east in the middle of the Crusades in a 3rd person adventure game? How tired of that setting can you really be after ONE game?

EatChildren said:
I dont think it does. On PC, at least, Brotherhood looks downright beautiful. Brotherhood for PC has a new shadow rendering code though, so they might try and get that on consoles too.

Agreed. AC Brotherhood PC looks incredible. Blows AC2 away.

The Antitype said:
Plus, REALLY, how many times have you been the middle-east in the middle of the Crusades in a 3rd person adventure game? How tired of that setting can you really be after ONE game?
I loved the Florence, Rome and Venice settings of AC2/ACB and having been there it made it even more awesome.

But I'm always disappointed the crusades setting wasn't used more because it was an amazing time to set the first game. I prefer this setting to the renaissance Italy period.

Ubisoft's Assassin's Creed 2 page is just posted a "Like" the official AC page to get a full reveal of the new game" status update.

-Winnie-

I suppose it does make sense for AC3 to come out in 2012, I just hope Revelations actually has a purpose and isn't just a cash-in.
Brotherhood reeked of cash-in when it was announced, but it turned out pretty good. But then I do hope Ubi will go a bit further to differentiate Revelations from the older games.

duckroll

I'll probably continue to wait until AC3 is a few months away, before looking for the cheapest deal to buy Brotherhood and Revelations to catch up on the storyline. That way I can enjoy AC3 on day 1 without missing out on any of the story, without directly supporting Ubisoft's ridiculous milking of the brand.

I've always wanted them to flesh out Altair's story because they did a terrible job in AC1. It'd be neat if they go back to when he was young up to the start of AC1 and then continue on from the end of AC1 or AC Bloodlines.

duckroll said:
I'll probably continue to wait until AC3 is a few months away, before looking for the cheapest deal to buy Brotherhood and Revelations to catch up on the storyline. That way I can enjoy AC3 on day 1 without missing out on any of the story, without directly supporting Ubisoft's ridiculous milking of the brand.

Dude, Brotherhood is an amazing game. Its better than AC2. I wouldn't be so sure if they will ever release a game called "AC3" to be honest. So you may just be waiting for a long time (forever) if you take that attitude :/

Also, think about how freaking BIG AC2 and Brotherhood are. The content (and budget) would've been enormous if they made it into a single game. And the extra year gave them time to develop some extra things which weren't in AC2. They went back and looked at the design of AC1 and brought in some elements that were missing from AC2.

ace3skoot

Is the Brotherhood multi-player still alive and playable? I really enjoyed the few games i played but for some reason I can't quite remember I never bothered to play it again hmm

anyway count me on the AC hype train, I got to admit I was sceptical about brotherhood but it was easily the best if they can pull a similar level of improvement in one year id be very impressed.

duckroll

infinityBCRT said:
Dude, Brotherhood is an amazing game. Its better than AC2. I wouldn't be so sure if they will ever release a game called "AC3" to be honest. So you may just be waiting for a long time (forever) if you take that attitude :/

Why would you say that? The AC designers themselves have said that there will be. The next "real" sequel in the AC series will be another big jump from like AC->AC2. They said will be take quite a while to make, so in the mean time Ubisoft does not want to stop releasing the series in regular intervals. Hence Brotherhood, and now Revelations.

If Revelations features a brand new time period, with a brand new ancestor, and major changes in terms of scope and feel, then sure, I'll buy it even if it isn't called AC3. But it's looking very likely that this will not be AC3, and will probably be another Altair game, which would fit perfectly into the things that the developers have been saying in the interviews.

Amir0x

Banned
infinityBCRT said:
I've always wanted them to flesh out Altair's story because they did a terrible job in AC1. It'd be neat if they go back to when he was young up to the start of AC1 and then continue on from the end of AC1 or AC Bloodlines.

Also, think about how freaking BIG AC2 and Brotherhood are. The content (and budget) would've been enormous if they made it into a single game. And the extra year gave them time to develop some extra things which weren't in AC2. They went back and looked at the design of AC1 and brought in some elements that were missing from AC2.

I definitely think AC2 is much better than Brotherhood, with the caveat that Brotherhood had a surprisingly decent multiplayer mode marred by absolutely devastatingly awful online matchmaking/glitching. AC2 is the real deal - multiple gorgeous cities, far meatier content, way better challenge tombs (the highlight of both Brotherhood and AC2 and a staple of any AC game if you ask me - incredibly good platforming fun) and subject 16 puzzles.

AC Brotherhood is still good and has a few of its own neat ideas (PARACHUTES YES), but the actual Brotherhood system itself is comically broken with virtually no real use (I used them like maybe twice the whole game, not counting the times they force you to use it). And also their leveling up system is so simplistic and inflexible that I'm not even sure why they bothered to include it. The only positive thing about it was that I got fortunate and my entire Assassin team turned out to be female so I giggled to myself about my Assassin's Creed "Sisterhood".

ACB had far more content than ACII could ever hope to have, and that's not including the multiplayer, which I've almost finally reached the level cap for. I'm not a huge multiplayer fan, but ACB's multi is by far and away one of the most unique and fun modes I've ever played.

Not to mention Cesare is one of the best most assholish villains of all time. I find ACB's story better and more focused overall than ACII, and Rome as it's own contained map, was far more memorable then any of the smaller cities from ACII as well.

Also the DaVinci disappearance absolutely nut stomps the throwaway DLC chapters from ACII as they were all completely pointless.

Criminal Upper said:
Also the DaVinci disappearance absolutely nut stomps the throwaway DLC chapters from ACII as they were all completely pointless.

Says you. I learned a few new words from those AC2 DLC chapters.

Puttana!

duckroll said:
Why would you say that? The AC designers themselves have said that there will be. The next "real" sequel in the AC series will be another big jump from like AC->AC2. They said will be take quite a while to make, so in the mean time Ubisoft does not want to stop releasing the series in regular intervals. Hence Brotherhood, and now Revelations.

If Revelations features a brand new time period, with a brand new ancestor, and major changes in terms of scope and feel, then sure, I'll buy it even if it isn't called AC3. But it's looking very likely that this will not be AC3, and will probably be another Altair game, which would fit perfectly into the things that the developers have been saying in the interviews.
So you want a new time period with a new character. Thats what you're really looking for, and not a number "3" in the title (which may or may not happen).

Thats fine but I still think its absolutely insane not to play Brotherhood right now if you like the series and the story. You can't just skip it, and you'll probably ruin the experience of the next few games if you play them all together.

duckroll

infinityBCRT said:
So you want a new time period with a new character. Thats what you're really looking for, and not a number "3" in the title (which may or may not happen).

Thats fine but I still think its absolutely insane not to play Brotherhood right now.

Right. I'm not really looking for a number, but that's the easiest way to express that because that is also how Ubisoft so far seems to be using the numbers (for major leaps in the franchise only).

I don't really care for nor do I seek your approval on how I choose to buy and play my games, so whatever. :p

Epcott

ffs I still have yet to beat AC2... damnit, slow down Ubi.
Maybe they're trying to rush to get the series done by December 2012?

duckroll said:
Right. I'm not really looking for a number, but that's the easiest way to express that because that is also how Ubisoft so far seems to be using the numbers (for major leaps in the franchise only).

I don't really care for nor do I seek your approval on how I choose to buy and play my games, so whatever. :p

I'm just trying to guide you in the right direction, brother. ;)

Epcott said:
ffs I still have yet to beat AC2... damnit, slow down Ubi.
Maybe they're trying to rush to get the series done by December 2012?

I think theres multiple factors. One is the whole 2012 thing, another thing is the impending next generation. I think they want to rush out as many games as possible and then when the next set of consoles have been announced they'll go back to the labs and rebuild the game based on the latest version of Unreal Engine. I think the worst case scenario for them would've been to spend a lot of time after AC2 to make the next game and then release it as next-generation consoles were coming out.

iNvid02

brotherhood removed the online DRM, future games wont have it either i believe.

also brotherhood wraps up ezio's story for good, if you care about the series you'll want to play it.

and it has a surprisingly unique multiplayer which isn't half assed

duckroll

iNvidious01 said:
brotherhood removed the online DRM, future games wont have it either i believe.

also brotherhood wraps up ezio's story for good, if you care about the series you'll want to play it.

Oh that's good to hear. Well, I guess I'll pick it up at the next Steam sale! :p

I never said I -don't- want to play Brotherhood. I just said I had no intention of supporting the game day 1 because of the way Ubisoft has been handling the franchise. My plan was always to catch up before AC3, and judging from the announcements, I have plenty of time. :)

Luigiv

Haunted said:
3 full-fledged games on PC and PS360
2 on DS
1 on PSP
1 on Facebook
1 on iPhone

And 1 more announced for the 3DS.

So roughly one Assassin's Creed game every 6 months.
You forgot the 1 on Java phones.

Dibbz

The series needs better AI and crowd systems.

ACII and Brotherhood improved what was there but the whole walk into an area and stare at a guard, then before his bar fills up red you hide behind a wall and the guard just carries on is stupid.

Also there needs to be more ways to interact with enemies. You should be able to whistle, or throw things to get there attention. Maybe you could start a fight in a crowd then walk away and let it draw guards out. Maybe you could steal a guards armor and walk passed them. Shit there's tons of stuff they could do. AC is has the opportunity to be Hitman where there are tons of ways to do things.

Last thing I want is another AC that has a different setting but the same 5 ways to complete a mission.

Let me get through via stealth, let me knock people out, let me steal cloths and armor to walk by guards. I don't want to be forced to kill all the time.

duckroll said:
I just said I had no intention of supporting the game day 1 because of the way Ubisoft has been handling the franchise. My plan was always to catch up before AC3, and judging from the announcements, I have plenty of time. :)
If you really want to hit them where it hurts, don't ever buy the games, even used, and don't ever play them. Then they miss out on co-opting your grassroots enthusiasm for the games as free word of mouth, too.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
duckroll said:

Yeah great keep expecting twice as much from AC sequels than you do from Uncharted, Gears of War, or whatever other series out there.

I'm not playing Uncharted again until we have a new protagonist and a major change of scope and feel!!

infinityBCRT said:
I think theres multiple factors. One is the whole 2012 thing, another thing is the impending next generation. I think they want to rush out as many games as possible and then when the next set of consoles have been announced they'll go back to the labs and rebuild the game based on the latest version of Unreal Engine. I think the worst case scenario for them would've been to spend a lot of time after AC2 to make the next game and then release it as next-generation consoles were coming out.

Unreal engine?? Lol, they don't make AC with Unreal.

Top Bottom