• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft Accidentally Announces Assassin's Creed Revelation (Altair Connection?)

RPGCrazied said:
Another one? Whoa, this series is getting milked. Need more PoP games.

I bet they're rushing like crazy so they won't miss the AC3/2012 thing. But I love the AC (core) games, so I don't care if we get a yearly release, as long as it's an improved game over the previous ones.

Ether_Snake said:
Unreal engine?? Lol, they don't make AC with Unreal.
Or a brand new engine, whatever.

Ether_Snake said:
Yeah great keep expecting twice as much from AC sequels than you do from Uncharted, Gears of War, or whatever other series out there.

I'm not playing Uncharted again until we have a new protagonist and a major change of scope and feel!!
Exactly what I was thinking.

ShockingAlberto said:
I honestly don't feel AC:B is required playing at all.

You could probably safely skip it and read a two-sentence summary on the story.
- Obviously what happens within the team is important
- Subject 16 stuff is important
- and I also think Cesare is important. I thought his death sequence was MEGA weird,to me it implied that he wasn't necessarily human and that he would be back some how

and the game is fun...

ShockingAlberto said:

Or, you know, play it just to have fun. What games are supposed to be delivering. Simple stuff.

Bog

Junior Ace
ShockingAlberto said:

Yeah, I totally regret the 35 hours of fun I had with that game. Good call.

syoaran

ShockingAlberto said:

You could, but the same could be said about ME1, if your happy with the default choices the game picks for you. Same could be said about multiple games like any franchise (COD4 to MW2, for example). The enjoyment is in the game itself and how the story reveals itself. I thought Subject16's section was particularly well done, so was the romance subplot and the ending itself - all not required by very enjoyable in their own right.

Massa

Bog said:
Yeah, I totally regret the 35 hours of fun I had with that game. Good call.

He's not saying that you didn't have fun with the game. Heck, he's not even saying he didn't have fun with the game.

jett

D-Member
Ether_Snake said:
Yeah great keep expecting twice as much from AC sequels than you do from Uncharted, Gears of War, or whatever other series out there.

I'm not playing Uncharted again until we have a new protagonist and a major change of scope and feel!!

You're such an Ubisoft apologist, I swear. Your Uncharted comparison is nonsense, by the way. I don't see ND massively reusing assets from previous games.

duckroll

Ether_Snake said:

Yes, I'm sure this makes perfect sense, because I'm known to be such a great supporter of the Uncharted and Gears of War franchises. Right? Lol. Is your ability to debate so poor that you are unable to argue on points without bringing in completely unrelated subjects?

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Ether_Snake[B said:
I'm not playing Uncharted again until we have a new protagonist and a major change of scope and feel!![/B]
Don't forget a new engine. And why the hell are we still playing the same historical settings - I'm tired of gear-marines in space - WW1 next Epic.

duckroll

I think some fanboys don't understand the difference between defending the quality of a game, and sounding like a total apologist shill. Oh well!

People really don't believe this is a console AC do they? It's obvious it's another handheld one. Which don't hold my interest.

Irish

Darknessbear said:
People really don't believe this is a console AC do they? It's obvious it's another handheld one. Which don't hold my interest.

I don't know. I mean, it is getting the GI cover piece and all.

jett

D-Member
Darknessbear said:

Game Informer cover story all but confirms it to be a "main" game.

Irish

SketchTheArtist said:
Woah, where did it say it's gonna make the GI cover? Next month? What? O_O
shagg_187 said:
oXYLG.jpg

Shagg posted it on the first page.

Of course, not sure where he got it from.

Andy_MC semi-confirmed it with a sigh on twitter though. :p

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Irish said:
Shagg posted it on the first page.

Of course, not sure where he got it from.

Andy_MC semi-confirmed it with a sigh on twitter though. :p
I think that came out of the .swf Flash page from their servers.

My cache viewer died with Firefox 4.0 though so it has been a large hassle to try and check these days for me unfortunately.

Goldrusher

jett said:
You're such an Ubisoft apologist, I swear. Your Uncharted comparison is nonsense, by the way. I don't see ND massively reusing assets from previous games.
What's all this reused assets nonsense ?

With the exception of a tiny portion of Vatican City, mostly indoors, nothing from Brotherhood was in any of the previous games.
Unless you want to count Ezio's house, which was very different in Brotherhood, as we got to explore it in the modern world, with street lights, road signs, bikes, even cars. By the same logic, every Tomb Raider is "massively reusing assets" because of Lara's mansion.

Assassin's Creed II:
- Florence
- Forli
- San Gimignano
- Venice

Brotherhood:
- Rome
- Vatican City
- tiny bits of Naples, Colli Albani, Valnerina & Monte Circeo
- (TDVD) Delizia di Belriguardo
- (MP) Pienza, Siena, San Donato, Alhambra, Castel Gandolfo & Mont Saint-Michel

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Goldrusher said:

With the exception of a tiny portion of Vatican City, mostly indoors, nothing from Brotherhood was in any of the previous games.
Unless you want to count Ezio's house, which was very different in Brotherhood, as we got to explore it in the modern world, with street lights, road signs, bikes, even cars.

Assassin's Creed II:
- Florence
- Forli
- San Gimignano
- Venice

Brotherhood:
- Rome
- Vatican City
- Colli Albani, Valnerina, Monte Circeo
- (MP) Pienza, Siena, San Donato, Alhambra, Castel Gandolfo, Mont Saint-Michel

He means the assets, which were reused :p

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Goldrusher said:

Unless you want to count Ezio's house, which was very different in Brotherhood, as we got to explore it in the modern world, with street lights, road signs, bikes, even cars. By the same logic, every Tomb Raider is "massively reusing assets" because of Lara's mansion.

Assassin's Creed II:
- Florence
- Forli
- San Gimignano
- Venice

Brotherhood:
- Rome
- Vatican City
- tiny bits of Naples, Colli Albani, Valnerina & Monte Circeo
- (MP) Pienza, Siena, San Donato, Alhambra, Castel Gandolfo & Mont Saint-Michel
They're talking about stuff like textures, character models, animations, and building geometry, which had much heavier reuse than a lot of sequels since it was in such a similar location.

Some were slightly modified of course, but a lot of them were still basically the same art assets.

Comparing the art asset reuse between BioShock 1 and BioShock 2 versus the art asset reuse between BioShock 1 and BioShock Infinite is a good comparison here. BioShock Infinite definitely reuses art assets, but far less than BioShock 2 did.

iNvid02

i dont get it, its wrapping up ezio's story so obviously it makes sense to reuse stuff, i want it to have some resemblance to AC2, if it was a completely different game it wouldn't make sense.

with AC3 we have a fresh palette (sort of) so hopefully they redesign

iNvidious01 said:
i dont get it, its wrapping up ezio's story so obviously it makes sense to reuse stuff, i want it to have some resemblance to AC2, if it was a completely different game it wouldn't make sense.

with AC3 we have a fresh palette (sort of) so hopefully they redesign

Yeah, I kind of agree. It's not as though the developers are reusing assets from one setting and city to make a completely different one.

Cities in a specific region and time have similar palettes.

If they re-use assets from Italy to make the Mayan jungle or something for part 3, then we have a problem.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don't think the complaint is that the plot doesn't explain the asset reuse, but rather that the people complaining would find it more fun and interesting if the game took place in a notably different location.

Using the BioShock example again, I don't remember anyone saying "It doesn't make sense to reuse art assets from Rapture when the game takes place in Rapture again.", but rather, "I want a new location to learn about and explore."

Nirolak said:
I don't think the complaint is that the plot doesn't explain the asset reuse, but rather that the people complaining would find it more fun and interesting if the game took place in a notably different location.

Using the BioShock example again, I don't remember anyone saying "It doesn't make sense to reuse art assets from Rapture when the game takes place in Rapture again.", but rather, "I want a new location to learn about and explore."

Fair enough.

I guess I just don't feel like I've been to the Italian Renaissance twice and the Crusades twice (maybe). Both are interesting, beautiful, and meticulously rendered world that no other game has taken us to, or given us quite the same vantage of.

So I don't mind going back to each a few times.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The Antitype said:
Fair enough.

I guess I just don't feel like I've been to the Italian Renaissance twice and the Crusades twice (maybe). Both are interesting, beautiful, and meticulously rendered world that no other game has taken us to, or given us quite the same vantage of.

So I don't mind going back to each a few times.
I'm not wholly opposed to the idea either, but I just can see why some people would be, since I was pretty opposed to returning to Rapture for BioShock, since I feel the location has a much larger impact on that series and what I like about it, even though Rapture was quite a unique location.

Zeliard

I enjoyed Brotherhood quite a bit but my issue with it was the win button.

They took a series that's already one of the easiest mainstream series out there, and made it even easier by giving you the 3D action equivalent of a shmup bomb. Amazingly unbalanced.

Zeliard said:

They took a series that's already one of the easiest mainstream series out there, and made it even easier by giving you the 3D action equivalent of a shmup bomb. Amazingly unbalanced.

Yeah....but it's so coooooooooooool. :p

Seriously, Assassin's Creed is basically just a badass-simulator. The moment-to-moment gameplay may not be difficult but it's always fun, IMO.

Dibbz

It's fine that Ubisoft reused assets from ACII for AC:B didn't bother me too much.

What they do need is to change the gameplay dramatically if this is meant to be the next rung on the AC ladder.

Dibbz said:
It's fine that Ubisoft reused assets from ACII for AC:B didn't bother me too much.

What they do need is to change the gameplay dramatically if this is meant to be the next rung on the AC ladder.

I don't really think it is.

AC3 will be the next definitive jump.

These 'brotherhood' games, for lack of a better term, are basically half-steps to flesh out the story, keep the franchise at top of mind, and let players be badasses. :D

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Dibbz said:

Yeah, that's actually my biggest problem with one year development cycles.

I would be far less opposed to this level of output if the Assassin's Creed games actually had parallel teams working with two year development cycles.

I would have rather had AC3 and AC4 come out on a yearly schedule as opposed to these half/quarter steps.

Speaking of two year development cycles...

The Antitype said:
Yeah....but it's so coooooooooooool. :p

Seriously, Assassin's Creed is basically just a badass-simulator. The moment-to-moment gameplay may not be difficult but it's always fun, IMO.
...Why hello sir, there was a new Need For Speed game announced you know. :p

Just in case you wanted to like, comment or answer some questions or anything.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Nirolak said:
Ether_Snake, what are some things you think Ubisoft does poorly?

Taking forever to release another Far Cry or Rainbow Six or Splinter Cell?

But wait, does that mean they are taking their time? lol

Stumpokapow said:
He means the assets, which were reused :p

Characters, fine, but outside of that what? Barrels and street lights? All houses were new, all new huge landmarks like the Coliseum, Pantheon, etc.

Ether_Snake said:
Taking forever to release another Far Cry or Rainbow Six or Splinter Cell?

But wait, does that mean they are taking their time? lol

Forever? Conviction was just released last year. It may not be to everyone's taste, but it's still an SC game.

Dibbz

Nirolak said:
Yeah, that's actually my biggest problem with one year development cycles.

I would be far less opposed to this level of output if the Assassin's Creed games actually had parallel teams working with two year development cycles.
Ubisoft seem to like having 4 different studios working on the one game rather than saying studio one gets odd years, studio two gets even years.

I can see the advantages for doing things that way. You won't have the problem CoD does with IW making good CoD's and Treyarch making crap CoD's because the core designers are working on every AC. Assets can be completed a lot faster with so many studios chipping in. Side quests and secondary missions can be handled by different studios. This is a big one for open world games like AC because you need fun things to do outside of the main story arc. The tombs are a good example of how this worked out well for ACII.

of course the down side is that there is only one game being worked on by all these studios meaning Ubisoft will not let the tittle have extra time to bake and will force it out yearly.

Personally I wouldn't mind if the next AC was released on the next gen consoles. That way there is more to work hardware wise with and will help to reinvent the series because of it.

Goldrusher

Nirolak said:
They're talking about stuff like textures, character models, animations, and building geometry, which had much heavier reuse than a lot of sequels since it was in such a similar location.

Some were slightly modified of course, but a lot of them were still basically the same art assets.

Comparing the art asset reuse between BioShock 1 and BioShock 2 versus the art asset reuse between BioShock 1 and BioShock Infinite is a good comparison here. BioShock Infinite definitely reuses art assets, but far less than BioShock 2 did.
So they were against giving Ezio a second game.
Why the whole vague assets bullshit then ? Simply say you don't like Ezio and Italy.

Because using the same assets makes sense if the game is a sequel, scheduled to be released less than a year after the original, using the same engine, starring the same characters in the same region in the same time period.

syoaran

Goldrusher said:
So they were against giving Ezio a second game.
Why the whole vague assets bullshit then ? Simply say you don't like Ezio and Italy.

Because using the same assets makes sense if the game is a sequel, scheduled to be released less than a year after the original, using the same engine, starring the same characters in the same region in the same time period.

Talking about assets is not vague, its a specific problem about reusing items over and over again. It makes sense under certain conditions, and falls apart under others. Dragon Age II had a very few environmental assets that were reused so many times that it felt like you were going down the same six or seven buildings for 30 hours. Assassins creed Brotherhood had all the assets from the second game and a few new ones added. Fine, it's disappointing to people expecting a whole new game, but in retrospect it wasn't bad.

People critising here are already divided up into different groups, with some upset that the game series is not conforming to the inital promised "triology", and so asset reusal is unberable. Some here (like myself) feel like both Altair's and Ezio's stories have been completly exhausted that there isnt anything meaningful here to look at. Ezio was a great character, but he has nothing thematically to add. The only thing he did in Brotherhood was form the Brotherhood and
contain the Apple in the vault
, both of which could have been explained in diary entries ala AC2. It was a good game, but the overall theme had been stretched thin and the game pushed existing quests as far as it could go.

Personally I want progression within the story. The historical aspect helps frame the future story quite well, and hopefully is done a bit better as to draw continuous comparisons between the present day and the past setting. It's this constant link that's important, and you can't do it by constantly retreading old ground.

Theres a third group of people that seem to be quite happy paying full price for the exact same content again, which I don't understand.

I don't want to see this series go downhill, which I feel like they can only do by padding the story as much as they can. I can see ton's of potential in the franchise beyond Desmonds story, so I wish Ubisoft would nail down the core series and complete it up. I don't want another MGS, where I had to cross three generational gaps to see the resolution to the events that happened in the first game.

XAL

Why the hell are people bitching about re-used assets when Brotherhood was the most solid and refined of all of the console AC games gameplay wise (the thing that's actually important for...a game)...

And why are people convinced that the main character of AC3 or Revelations is going to be Altair? Because Ubisoft put out a short derp video with his name flashing in it? How much do you want to bet that there is going to be a second video with Ezio's name in it...and then eventually the name of the character we will get to play as in the proper sequel...

Also, the crazy theories...lol. I guess that's what happens when you combine the matrix, aliens/first peoples, and history.

XAL said:
Why the hell are people bitching about re-used assets when Brotherhood was the most solid and refined of all of the console AC games gameplay wise (the thing that's actually important for...a game)...

And why are people convinced that the main character of AC3 or Revelations is going to be Altair? Because Ubisoft put out a short derp video with his name flashing in it? How much do you want to bet that there is going to be a second video with Ezio's name in it...and then eventually the name of the character we will get to play as in the proper sequel...

Also, the crazy theories...lol. I guess that's what happens when you combine the matrix, aliens/first peoples, and history.

It makes sense given that Ubisoft has been besieged by requests for another, full Altair story since it was revealed that Ezio would staring in the second chapters of the trilogy.

Dibbz

XAL said:
It's more about Brotherhood being AC2.5

It made good improvements to the gameplay but nothing significant. It was just a more refined version of AC set in the world of AC2.

Obviously people are worried that Ubisoft are going to continue the trend and make small improvements rather than taking their time and making an entirely new AC.

Zeliard said:

I'm not sure why everyone moans about the counter button everytime AC is brought up. You don't HAVE to you use it you know.

To be honest, it is useful for "suck" players like me who would rather climb/parkour around rather than engage in 15 minute duels everytime a goddamn archer spots me or something. For those times when I do feel like mucking it up, they've provided a decent combat system as well. It's not as well polished as, say, the one in Batman, but I think they can get there soon. In fact, I hope most games have a fighting system like Batman where people like me can button mash their way to success and someone else can also perform "skillfull" takedowns. To each their own, as long as they aren't restricting choices.

Zeliard

I'm not talking about the counters, I'm talking about calling down your Assassin bros. It's one of the most overpowered abilities I've ever seen in a game, and AC already had easy (but fun) combat to begin with.

Zeliard said:
I'm not talking about the counters, I'm talking about calling down your Assassin bros. It's one of the most overpowered abilities I've ever seen in a game, and AC already had easy (but fun) combat to begin with.

The bros? That was hands down the most badass feature in ACB! I can't even think of going back and replaying AC2 without it, it made me feel like a total boss. Again, yes it was very OP, but you can still choose not to use it and dispatch the guards yourself. Other times, you just whistle and a couple of your assbros (/giggle) will come and take care of business!

Zeliard

It looked awesome, I'm not arguing that, but it unbalanced it even more. I haven't played Brotherhood in a while but was there even a limit to how many times you can call down the bros? Didn't seem like it.

I was saying earlier how AC's combat is based on you being a badass assassin, and so it would be difficult to make the combat much harder than it is without something like a change in enemy weaponry (like them sporting guns). But I still don't think they had to go and make it even easier. :p

It's a cool mechanic, especially visually, but I think they should put more strict limits on it.

iNvid02

maybe a difficulty setting, the bros were overkill in normal combat as the game is pretty easy, but they were useful on some of the borgia towers.

Top Bottom