• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UTIII: Epic didn't steal user created map, unbans user from forum, GAF wipes off egg.

Mark Rein has intervened personally, EpicJon has been unbanned on the UT3 forums, and his threads have been restored:

Mark Rein said:
Jon,

I've asked our guys to look into this. As I said in my email to you I assure you that Epic is not the kind of company that would knowingly steal somebody's work.

Mark Rein said:
Not just "with permission" but we've actually gone out and paid folks to license their maps when we've included them in one of our bonus packs or within one of our games.

The main thread on the Epic forums about this is here.

EpicDumbass said:
ok this is bull, they stole my arctic shipment map idea, the exact same thing - http://www.gametrailers.com/player/33033.html

look at the map wit the crane and the crates, its snowing and there icebergs and everything from like my map. Thats retarded, is Epic really going that low to steal others work? I can't believe this...

:lol

and after reading that thread no wonder his ass was banned.

Tieno said:
So probably a fluke, a mistake. All sounded very un-Epic.

did you read epicwhiners thread? he deserved to be banned. and they delete complaint threads all the time.

Nocebo

I don't understand how anyone could say the user made map looks better than the epic made one. The only thing that's better in the screenshots is the quality and proportions of the pictures themselves. The actual user map is empty and bland. Look at the deck textures in both maps. One has repeating ugly squares the other is partly covered in snow, partly revealed, having far more detail. The geometry in the pro level is far more impressive aswell with snowy heaps here and there, scattered rubbish, railings, pipes, etc.

Anyway, it doesn't matter because they both ripped off Duke3d which had a level with a huge ship and stuff, too.

Z3F said:
Being demodded is probably a good thing for Sp0rsk. Maybe now he'll realize that having mod powers in a nerd forum doesn't make him better or smarter than everyone else.
*Shock*
Metalmurphy said:
Never let a woman moderate your forum again Mark :p

Epic Respect +1
What the hell Metal!? Why'd you have to say something so stupid and get yourself banned?

*sigh*

Gaf. Can the mod who banned him possibly say if it was perm or temp? and if so how long? =/

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
CrushDance said:
What the hell Metal!? Why'd you have to say something so stupid and get yourself banned?

Metalmurphy has a knack of doing things like that. I wonder how long it was for this time.

blazinglazers said:
Even if Epic had actually wanted to rip off this guys map, there's no way from a production standpoint that they could do it in under a month's time. It's ludicrous. And a big bravo to MetalMurphy for the trolling topic, especially if it's true that he himself stole some guy's mods for his own site... what's the deal with that?
if?

you can visit his site and see them there.

I only see a minor similarity between both maps. If epic stole something, than it's the idea. And ideas alone aren't worth anything in the gaming industry, it's about how well they are implemented. It's a common practice to rip others ideas and make the most out of it. (GOW's cover system anyone?). IIRC it was the matrix mod for UT1 that introduced double jumps which later became a part of UT2003's standart gameplay. Looks like a similar situation here.

Nocebo

Wow at the EpicJohn posts in that thread. How dumb is that guy? He came up with the layout? In other words he basically invented cargoships, talk about a time paradox of epic proportions.

industrian

blazinglazers said:
And a big bravo to MetalMurphy for the trolling topic, especially if it's true that he himself stole some guy's mods for his own site

He didn't "steal" anything - Metalmurphy just reuploaded ripped models. If anyone wants to complain about Metalmurphy "stealing" their property, then it should be companies like EA and Epic and not some guy who thinks that by ripping models and converting them for use in UT3 makes them belong to him.

industrian said:
He didn't "steal" anything. Metalmurphy just reuploaded ripped models. If anyone wants to complain about Metalmurphy "stealing" their property, then it should be companies like EA and Epic and not some guy who thinks that by ripping models and converting them for use in UT3 makes them belong to him.
"i didnt steal videogames, i just reuploaded ripped roms, i don't think they belong to me, look, i even credited nintendo!"

how does that sound to you?

come on now, when someone creates something and says this is how they want it to be distributed, and someone else just puts it on their website, what is it called?

industrian

The Faceless Master said:
"i didnt steal videogames, i just reuploaded ripped roms"

come on now, when someone creates something and says this is how they want it to be distributed, and someone else just puts it on their website, what is it called?

I was responding to the allegation that Metalmurphy stole a person's original mods. Hence the reason why i highlighted "steal." As far as I'm concerned, the situation is akin to people trying to take credit for charasets and chipsets they ripped from Final Fantasy games for use in RPGMaker 2000. It's still stealing, but why should the one guy who ripped them be entitled for any credit for actually making it?

If anyone has an issue with Metalmurphy putting characters from Gears and Crysis on his website, then it should be Epic and EA.

The Faceless Master said:
"i didnt steal videogames, i just reuploaded ripped roms, i don't think they belong to me, look, i even credited nintendo!"

how does that sound to you?

What? It's a map. Hosted by Metal so that others can download it, free of charge...........................

"but it's a map hosted on the disk by epic so 360 owners can play it!"

so only 'original' mods count, and derivative ones, regardless of how much work is put into them, are fair game?

Haunted

So Epic aren't a bunch of huge dicks anymore? Only Capps? That's the consensus right now?

Cause I'm fine with that. I like UT and Gears. :/

Mash

Can someone summarise this, I can get the jist but was it that the guys map just resembled it or did someone screw up accidentally?

WrikaWrek said:
Sp0rsk lost his powers?!

Let's get 'im boys, now's our chance, he's weeeaaak :lol
:lol Hopefully he'll get them back though. Because lets face it, he's the only one who had time to crack down on trolls in Nintendo threads.(Apart from Dragona).

WrikaWrek

Banned
CrushDance said:
:lol Hopefully he'll get them back though. Because lets face it, he's the only one who had time to crack down on trolls in Nintendo threads.(Apart from Dragona).

Yeah sp0rsk is good people, he's good people. Nintendo fans need him.

Metalmurphy said:
Never let a woman moderate your forum again Mark :p

Epic Respect +1

wtf....

Icy

Banned
Mash said:
Can someone summarise this, I can get the jist but was it that the guys map just resembled it or did someone screw up accidentally?

a mapper accused epic of stealing his map because they showed a Xbox 360 trailer with a map that has a similar theme.. ie a boat in the artic.

bosx2

Banned
it would have gone so nice, if Epic would have credited him in his official map creation thread, by saying something like "your map is cool and inspires us for something exclusive on 360.. " or whatever

I am sure EJ would have loved to be credited and I am sure Epic would have sent him some special mega Edition of UT or whatever

"it would have gone so nice, if Epic would have credited him in his official map creation thread, by saying something like "your map is cool and inspires us for something exclusive on 360.. " or whatever

I am sure EJ would have loved to be credited and I am sure Epic would have sent him some special mega Edition of UT or whatever "

You're missing the point, they're not that similar so they probably didn't really think about it before his meltdown. Epic didn't have to do anything.

Dabanton

bosx2 said:
it would have gone so nice, if Epic would have credited him in his official map creation thread, by saying something like "your map is cool and inspires us for something exclusive on 360.. " or whatever

I am sure EJ would have loved to be credited and I am sure Epic would have sent him some special mega Edition of UT or whatever

Did you actually read this thread?

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Wished I had posted yesterday, but because I didn't have the time, I didn't get to say that I'd rather hear from more people/see a saved version of the thread because I'd never rely on just that post that Metalmurphy made, knowing how he is...

Damn.

I'll give him credit for successfully bringing all of his fellow knee-jerkers in here - but kudos to the level-headed members who knew better, as well as the ones who actually posted pics to show that the two maps were nothing alike, other than being a tanker in the arctic (whoa - the odds of that happening!)

I've never heard of Epic pulling of something as crude as that, and didn't think they'd start now...

industrian

WrikaWrek said:

I'm guessing it was an ill-advised joke by Metalmurphy. But as long as he's not permed he'll remember to use the laugh smilie more often. :p

Nocebo

bosx2 said:

Why should he be credited from making something similar? It happens all the time. Valve "stole" the premise and general outline for Half Life from my Duke Nukem3d maps (not that they ever saw them). :rolleyes:

FirewalkR

What, banned again??

Epa tens de ter mais cuidado, senao o poder tuga sobre o neogaf diminui!!

industrian said:
I'm guessing it was an ill-advised joke by Metalmurphy.

Obviously a joke, no matter how ill-advised. The mods are watching us closely though! :lol

industrian said:
I'm guessing it was an ill-advised joke by Metalmurphy. But as long as he's not permed he'll remember to use the laugh smilie more often. :p
He would've been banned for that comment even with a smiley.

Or, as the famous words go, "lol misogyny"

Dunlop

WrikaWrek said:
Yeah sp0rsk is good people, he's good people. Nintendo fans need him.

I guess that's one way to look at it......

On topic, glad to see Epic opened up the thread, too bad I'm back at work and blocked by a firewall. Should be an interesting read tonight

Top Bottom