• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The Omega Man said:
I can access mine profile and I have a whopping 0 potatoes :(
Why!? why didn't I try to get potatoes when I had the chance....

If you have any of the games you can still get the taters. I just got Aaaas.

Salsa

adg1034 said:
Is this the part where I say I completed Descent and got the login screen on my first try?

this was me on my first try:

rAJOZ.png

m3z38.png

xl5al.png

with the last one being the big one i guess

you guys suck :p

Zenith

Banned
Seeing as there's only a week from us getting the full game I don't really know what the ARG could offer that's a substantial enough reward.

derFeef

Maybe there are two potatos per game - we still have one week.
I am really curious about the outcome.
Free Portal 2 for friends per potato?
Additinoal timed exclusive coop missions? (doh!)
... ?

Red

derFeef said:
... ?
It's not the destination, it's the journey.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Crunched said:
It's not the destination, it's the journey.

People do need to keep this in mind. ARGs are tons of fun, but they're not just about having a pay off at the end. They complexity and communal interactivity is what drives so many to participate. How well made and involved the puzzles are is, for a lot of people who ARG, a reward in itself.

I'm sure something will come of this, but it won't necessarily be a megaton, especially for those of us sitting on the side lines. An early unlock would be the best case scenario.

Salsa

derFeef said:
... ?

we talking about Valve. Limited and exclusive content for their games isnt really their cup of tea, and i thank them for that. If i didnt had 11 games from the potato sack already i wouldnt have had the money to buy it (i just bought the 2 games i was missing) and i would be fuckin mad if it meant some sort of exclusive content for Portal 2 (since the potato games have nothing to do with Portal really..).

The only way they do this is through TF2 hats, maybe its that, maybe its nothing, but i doubt they're gonna put people with money to buy the sack on a pedestal over the ones that couldnt buy it, that's just not very valve-like.

derFeef

SalsaShark said:
we talking about Valve. Limited and exclusive content for their games isnt really their cup of tea, and i thank them for that. If i didnt had 11 games from the potato sack already i wouldnt have had the money to buy it (i just bought the 2 games i was missing) and i would be fuckin mad if it meant some sort of exclusive content for Portal 2 (since the potato games have nothing to do with Portal really..).

The only way they do this is through TF2 hats, maybe its that, maybe its nothing, but i doubt they're gonna put people with money to buy the sack on a pedestal over the ones that couldnt buy it, that's just not very valve-like.
Oh I completely agree and I am sure it will also piss a lot of people off if it would be something like that. I was just wondering out loud about it.

many more people will be involved in this if they knew what are we getting out of this, as it is right now I don't feel like buying all those game just to get a few potatoes in my profile, for all we know that might be all there is to it.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
Datwheezy said:
when you pre-order a game on steam, does it charge you immediately?

Yes, "preordering" is effectively purchasing the game with the acknowledgement that you can download the game when it comes out. It isn't like preordering from GameStop that only charges you when the game is delivered.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Datwheezy said:
when you pre-order a game on steam, does it charge you immediately?

I went and checked my credit card, so your mileage may vary:

I preordered on April 8th and as of April 12th it still hasn't been charged to my credit card. It is in the "pending charges" section, but that doesn't reflect on my balance. So, by the looks of it, they wait for the game to be released to charge your card.

adg1034

Updates to Defense Grid, RUSH, Super Meat Boy, and Toki Tori are apparently going out now. This according to the wiki. I'm not seeing anything on my end yet, though.

EDIT: And that news item is gone now. Hmmm.

Forkball

Interesting theory regarding the 15 potatoes in Echo's profile:

Echo, who works for Hidden Path, is found to have 15 potatoes on his Steam Profile. They probably were added manually, since according to his Steam game list, he hasn't even played some of the Potato Sack games, though it is possible that he triggered the 13 potatoes on his account, and then earned two legitimately.

Potato games are updating. Ambiguous notes plus Chell on a surfboard!

Chinner

Banned
Update for Amnesia as well; quite big at 215mb.
Amnesia: The Dark Descent gets a free expansion!

Now with 20% more horror and 10% less cake. Enjoy this brand new flavor of canned horror - manufactured with license by Aperture Science.
(might contain traces of potatoes)

Nabs

lol @ the amnesia one

Amnesia: The Dark Descent gets a free expansion!

Now with 20% more horror and 10% less cake. Enjoy this brand new flavor of canned horror - manufactured with license by Aperture Science.
(might contain traces of potatoes)

Top Bottom