• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

StuBurns said:
Portal 2 is only downloading right? Do we know it's actually unlocked and will be playable?
I'll tell you soon, it's downloading at 2.0 MB/s 25% done so far, but I think it's just a pre-load.

Edit: I also want to announced publicly that I am a tool and just bought the potato pack, carry on...

dave is ok

aztek is ok
SalsaShark said:
Some of them.

Dude, im seeing posts in this thread about people saying they wont EVER play Bit.Trip.Beat and/or Super Meat Boy again because they were too frustrated trying to get the potato, or used a savefile that already completed the game for them.

Do you realize the kind of loss we are talking about here ? those 2 are some of the best indie games ever made. It's just wrong.
I played a bunch of games I never would have played for this ARG, I went through Amnesia just to find out the order the glyphs appeared in the game. (SUPRISE! They aren't viewable in game)

Salsa

dave is ok said:
I played a bunch of games I never would have played for this ARG, I went through Amnesia just to find out the order the glyphs appeared in the game. (SUPRISE! They aren't viewable in game)

Like i said, there's two sides to the story. It's just the other one that makes me really sad. Super Meat Boy was my 2010 GOTY and i followed that game since the beggining of development. Makes me sad to see people just rushing through it without giving it a chance.

Arozay

There's a Portal 2 level in Bit.Trip.Beat, has glados in the background and a modified paddle. When I beat it it opened up another webpage and downloaded an audio file with Glados saying something.

Greyvvolf

I just tried the new test stage on BIT.TRIP BEAT and fought against GLaDOS. After I got to the end another screen popped up. It was like the potato login screen but it just played a sound of GLaDOS. I checked my Steam profile and now I have 14 potatoes.

Edit: Beaten.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Zaro said:
There's a Portal 2 level in Bit.Trip.Beat, has glados in the background and a modified paddle. When I beat it it opened up another webpage and downloaded an audio file with Glados saying something.
Whoa. I'm in.

dLMN8R

SalsaShark said:
The indie guys are getting the wrong kind of exposure.

People are buying the games, getting the Potatoes and never playing them again. They are exploiting them with savefiles that get you all the achievements and completition rates, getting frustrated, etc and taking the fun out of them, just read through the thread.

Its a cool thing for Valve to do, other devs are getting money, but sometimes they should wonder if the people buying them are really getting the best out of them. If i was a dev id like my games to be played, not only to unlock stuff in some other, supposedly better game and never touch that thing again.

The whole thing is really weird when you think about it.
Nonsense. You actually think that would be anywhere close to a majority case?

gibration

gibration said:
Anyone know if I will still get the special skin from the potato sack with the ps3 version of Portal 2?
Quoting for new page. Would like to know since the ps3 version comes with a pc copy for use on steam.

XeroSauce

SalsaShark said:
Some of them.

Dude, im seeing posts in this thread about people saying they wont EVER play Bit.Trip.Beat and/or Super Meat Boy again because they were too frustrated trying to get the potato, or used a savefile that already completed the game for them.

Do you realize the kind of loss we are talking about here ? those 2 are some of the best indie games ever made. It's just wrong.

Sadly agreed. Super Meat Boy is a godly must and Bit.Beat.Beat is good, but it does hurt the eyes after a while.

You guys need to try the new Portal song in Audiosurf if you haven't already. Heart is pumping.

Goon Boon

Banned
I sort of rushed through the games to get the potatoes, but I really like most of the games (except kick it but thats a beta) and will go through them at my own pace when I get a chance.

Bit.Trip Beat is love or hate. It's not like the potato condition is grossly misrepresenting the game.

People complaining about Beat or SMB probably aren't inclined towards masochistic games in the first place.

SalsaShark said:
Like i said, there's two sides to the story. It's just the other one that makes me really sad. Super Meat Boy was my 2010 GOTY and i followed that game since the beggining of development. Makes me sad to see people just rushing through it without giving it a chance.
You are talking about people who would likely have just never played it if they haven't at this point. They aren't really even customers of these indie devs and probably will never buy a future game just because they love the devs. They found a way to get tons of money for these devs from people who would never have bought the game, and this doesn't effect the existing customers base in the slightest. That's about as good as it gets. I think bemoaning the fact that people who weren't going to buy it anyways aren't playing it the right way or getting the proper experience is a bit odd.

Salsa

dLMN8R said:
Nonsense. You actually think that would be anywhere close to a majority case?

No need for it to be a majority, it still sucks.

BobTheFork said:
You are talking about people who would likely have just never played it if they haven't at this point. They aren't really even customers of these indie devs and probably will never buy a future game just because they love the devs. They found a way to get tons of money for these devs from people who would never have bought the game, and this doesn't effect the existing customers base in the slightest. That's about as good as it gets. I think bemoaning the fact that people who weren't going to buy it anyways aren't playing it the right way or getting the proper experience is a bit odd.

Some of the people who buy them were inclined to trying out the game or somewhat interested in them, and decided to buy them in this pack at a low price. At the same time they decided to get the potatoes quick in case they would end, and downloaded a savefile that gave them all the achievements, etc. Maybe they were into that stuff, who knows. Like i said, i dont blame Valve at all, this is awesome for the indie devs, im just saying that there's some people out there who are going through this the wrong way.

StuBurns

Banned
Spire said:
Because it's preloading and they usually only let you preload right before release.
Interesting. I know some people would be pissed, but it'd be cool if it's unlocked for people with all the potatoes straight away, and everyone else Friday.

Arozay

2bwlq8.png

I beat it again, she Glados said "Noodles are the primary food of a retro gorilla"

dLMN8R

SalsaShark said:
I don't see how it sucks if the indie devs are still getting their money and a good number of people will actually play their games legitimately. Better for the devs than them not buying the game at all.

Salsa

dave is ok said:
I bought SMB on XBLA and loved it. I played through the first three worlds on keyboard only for the potato and despised it.

Get an adapter and use the 360 pad on the PC version, it has a lot more content and a level editor.

edit: and to clarify to all the quotes; im not saying this sucks or that its bad, not at all, its great, i just think the challenges should be placed in a way to make the people playing it enjoy and realize how great ths "indie game i never heard about" is, and get them to play them afterwards. Some of they are, some of they arent, and it sucks that people found savefiles and ways around them.

(i did used a savefile in a couple of games, but i already owned them and had bought them to actually play them)

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
I own SMB on 360, I was complaining about what a bitch it is playing with a keyboard. Whoever designed that game thought it would be a good idea to not let you customize the fucking controls so after about 15 minutes the side of my thumb was sore from jamming on spacebar while my pinky was on l-shift.

The Technomancer

EmCeeGramr said:
Donkey Kong/Portal crossover. GlaDOS and DK open up a ramen shop.
Salsa pointed out in the other thread that EviLore changing his avatar occurred at a very...coincidental time. And then I noticed this:

0PIMP.png

KiKaL

SalsaShark said:

So you are upset that people who wouldn't have purchased the game originally did buy it even though it's not there type of game? The developers are seeing money they never would have. Also I am sure there are people who originally thought they wouldn't like the game but purchased it because of this and found out they did enjoy it. I really don't see how this is even remotely bad.

Nabs

Spire said:
I own SMB on 360, I was complaining about what a bitch it is playing with a keyboard. Whoever designed that game thought it would be a good idea to not let you customize the fucking controls so after about 15 minutes the side of my thumb was sore from jamming on spacebar while my pinky was on l-shift.

You can customize the controls.

buttonmap.cfg

You can also use a 360 controller, as long as its wired or has a wireless adapter.

The Technomancer

Nabs said:

buttonmap.cfg

You can also use a 360 controller, as long as its wired or has a wireless adapter.
Seriously. I love Meat Boy with keyboard controls, but you need to remap jump and run. I don't know who thought shift and space would be a good idea.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Nabs said:

buttonmap.cfg

I have to fuck around in config files to change four buttons? Genius.

Exuro

Caved in on the Potato Sack even though I have 4 of the games(gifts woohoo). I'll get around to playing them all but I would like to get those potatoes on my profiles asap. Which ones are the hardest to get?

Exuro said:
Caved in on the Potato Sack even though I have 4 of the games(gifts woohoo). I'll get around to playing them all but I would like to get those potatoes on my profiles asap. Which ones are the hardest to get?
this, I need specific instructions and how to get the portal login screens and what passwords to use, halp!

Top Bottom