• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

StuBurns

Banned
SalsaShark said:
Im more inclined to the whole "GLaDOS taking over Steam to release Portal 2 early"
In terms of likelihood or awesomeness?

I think it's maybe more awesome to think the community broke her free, but it's a coin flip. Regardless this is the by far the most interesting game launch of all time, the most amazing marketing I've ever witnessed and it's almost embarrassing that the first time Valve handles their own marketing this is what they produce, just effortless mastery of everything they take on. Stunning.

Salsa

StuBurns said:
In terms of likelihood or awesomeness?

both!

StuBurns said:
Regardless this is the by far the most interesting game launch of all time, the most amazing marketing I've ever witnessed and it's almost embarrassing that the first time Valve handles their own marketing this is what they produce, just effortless mastery of everything they take on. Stunning.

Certainly. Im having almost as much fun as if i was playing the damn game. People saying this wait is killing them are crazy, this is the most enjoyable waiting process ever.

I have to say, in regards to Valve's marketing abilities, I'm not even sure what's happening as I've been following the ARG events on and off, but I am completely enthralled by all these events. Valve knows their shit, simple as that.

Twig

Banned
faceless007 said:
I wouldn't be surprised if they collaborated with a company that specializes in ARGs to do this.
I would. They hired the, uh, developer of the Minerva mod precisely because he(/she? I think he) did an ARG at some point, IIRC. It's clear they want to handle it themselves.

Atilac

Anything significance to this from the giantbomb quicklook?
vtqCN.jpg

The dude was playing fine at first then went to switch to inverted, the gamertag is that jumbled mess "Xefab5bf40SDYUX" its a new gamertag even, is that a code for something?

Salsa

Atilac said:
vtqCN.jpg

The dude was playing fine at first then went to switch to inverted, the gamertag is that jumbled mess "Xefab5bf40SDYUX" its a new gamertag even, is that a code for something?

For some reason this shot gets me all giddy.

I love that pause menu, i love how clean it is.

Im gonna play Portal 2 and never stop.

Phantom Limbs said:
Pretty much, haha. I'm glued to my computer right now, ignore all other life responsibilities.

Dude i got a new desk with a dual monitor setup like 3-4 days ago.

I had nothing to do today, im in my underwear sitting in the middle of two big monitors filled with ARG stuff, i feel like Kevin Smith on Die Hard 4.

007LFD_Kevin_Smith_002.jpg

Dot50Cal

Banned
Atilac said:
vtqCN.jpg

Gamertag is from his debug unit. You can create anything you want, and usually people just do any old combination of letters/numbers.

Twig said:
I would. They hired the, uh, developer of the Minerva mod precisely because he(/she? I think he) did an ARG at some point, IIRC. It's clear they want to handle it themselves.
Thought they hired him because he made an awesome mod. I mean, they hired him as a level designer. Not saying that proves anything, but none of us knows for sure.

Twig

Banned
faceless007 said:
Thought they hired him because he made an awesome mod. I mean, they hired him as a level designer. Not saying that proves anything, but none of us knows for sure.
Both. J:

I didn't mean "because", but "ARG happened as a result of" whoops.

You know, I just had a thought...

Since the potato hat is named [CLASSIFIED] in TF2, I'm willing to bet that the number of potatoes we get will determine the name, and/or maybe even the skin of it. Also makes sense because the Potato Sack deal ends the day Portal 2 releases...

Salsa

Mr. Spinnington said:
ya salsa you're our boy! where are the potatoes, boy? where are they? go get 'em, boy! go on!

Baha has the upper hand with his 33 against my 32 :p still waiting on that Defense Grid patch since i didnt tried to get recruited.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
faceless007 said:

Yeah but it's been mentioned many times that no one really has a any set jobs at Valve. They all kind of move around and have their hands in tons of stuff, and are allowed to work on what they feel is important. Wouldnt be surprised if he had a lot to do with the ARG

I don't understand anything thats going on but it seems pretty cool. Was totally surprised to see GlaDOS show up in my Defence Grid game today...

Zomba13

Woo! Just done the Cog log-in potato. This is after the patch so you can't more the grey blocks and get it easy like you could before.
30 taters now.

TheExodu5

Banned
How the hell do you beat that Audiosurf song? The best I've gotten was 130k and that was flailing back and forth. The next time I tried to get all the non companion cube blocks and ended up with 85k. =\

edit: oh lol, I get it.

Salsa

TheExodu5 said:
How the hell do you beat that Audiosurf song? The best I've gotten was 130k and that was flailing back and forth. The next time I tried to get all the non companion cube blocks and ended up with 85k. =\

Play on novice pointman, hit every block you can, specially companion cubes, get a clean finish, repeat until you get it.

Joe Molotov

TheExodu5 said:

Companion Cubes give you 5k a piece, so you need to get all of them you can. Even so, I can't get more than 160k. :(

SalsaShark said:
Play on novice pointman, hit every block you can, specially companion cubes, get a clean finish, repeat until you get it.

I tried that like ten times, still no dice.

corn_fest

TheExodu5 said:
The Audiosurf potato is ridiculous, pure luck on whether the game generates enough companion cubes really. I made the mistake of trying to do it first today and ended up killing my desire to get potatoes.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
Mr. Spinnington said:
jesus and i had been treating them like grey blocks

Have you seen Orgazmo? Because I totally just read that as "Jesus and I had been treating them like grey blocks", not "Jesus, and I had been treating them like grey blocks."

Baha

I did it on pro, collecting orange + companion during slow parts and blue + companion during fast parts. Clean finish and you should get it after a few tries. The score to beat on pro is 335k.

Zomba13

My god. These Cog levels for the Audio/phase 3 potatoes are fucking impossible! You need to be lightening quick to get the time!

Daigoro

corn_fest said:
The Audiosurf potato is ridiculous, pure luck on whether the game generates enough companion cubes really. I made the mistake of trying to do it first today and ended up killing my desire to get potatoes.

it doesnt help that i suck at Audiosurf, but yeah, same.

the song was cool though.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Is everything fine?

blamite

Goddam, just scored 178.5k on The Device Has Been Modified. >.> I'm not gonna get this, am I? I'm at a nice even 10 potaters now, so I might just end up keeping it that way.

Nabs

I tried the Audiosurf track in Pro... and shit feels so slow. Back to Elite!

I actually got the score in Pro, but I'm liking the song and skin.

Another tip for Audiosurf, grab one of the inks with the portal gun just in case you are about to overfill on one of your lines, so you have a backup plan. It's also handy to use at the end for a clean finish.Grab every block no matter what. If it does happen to overfill more than once or twice, reset.

Almost done with The Ball potato. That was a very well put together bunch of levels.

Mio Akiyama

Neo Member
Just wondering if anyone has any extra potato sack games? A lot of the games I really been meaning to play like The Ball or Defense Grid

blamite

Alaskanbullworm said:
Another tip for Audiosurf, grab one of the inks with the portal gun just in case you are about to overfill on one of your lines, so you have a backup plan. It's also handy to use at the end for a clean finish.Grab every block no matter what. If it does happen to overfill more than once or twice, reset.
I never even realized you could grab paints. >.> Argh, back to the game! Homework can wait!

Top Bottom