• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

This is insane. I really wish this stuff existed when I was younger.

Valve is really in touch with gamers. I have only been checking out the Amnesia updates, but holy shit it is awesome.

I hope it got lots of sales off of this. I honestly wasn't interested in Portal 2 at all before this ARG. I figured it was just a cash in, but now I think otherwise.

So fucking good.

Baha

They cracked it! In AaAaAA!, go to the Portal button on the main menu and type "Killing you and giving you good advice aren't mutually exclusive." without the quotes. Now beat that level with 100%. Good luck!

Zomba13

32 spuds now. If you press the alt key in cogs it freezes the game and on the youtube pages linked on the argwiki there is a telephone pad style numbering guide that is very easy to follow. That + alt pausing makes it easy. Wish I knew that sooner >.<

Salsa

Baha said:
They cracked it! In AaAaAA!, go to the Portal button on the main menu and type "Killing you and giving you good advice aren't mutually exclusive." without the quotes. Now beat that level with 100%. Good luck!

doesnt work for me

Sciz

HOW TO SCORE IN AUDIOSURF:

Look at the bottom of the screen. Clear a match. See how that white bar got bigger? That's your combo meter. Every match you clear increases it. The bigger it is, the higher the multiplier on every match you clear. As long as some action occurs on your grid (hit a block, have a match clear, use a character's special ability) within about two seconds, it keeps rolling. Maintaining a large combo over as much of a song as possible is critical to scoring well.

Baha

SalsaShark said:
doesnt work for me

Did you put the period at the end?

In the main menu, press the bottom left button. Type in the phrase "Killing you and giving you good advice aren't mutually exclusive." (EXACTLY that, minus quotes). Beat the level that appears with 5 stars (hit EVERY plate, even the 0X7FFF plate, for 58517 points).

celebi23

The IRC channels are a mix of spam & red herrings. This is why I like NeoGAF. At least we don't have the massive amounts of spam.

Jintor

Pai Pai Master said:
Hopefully this becomes a regular thing for them. If they do an ARG for Half Life 3's reveal it's going to be a fucking epic event.

Well, I wouldn't want an ARG for L4D3 :p

Just for special occasions I think.

Daigoro

HurricaneJesus said:
This is insane. I really wish this stuff existed when I was younger.

Valve is really in touch with gamers. I have only been checking out the Amnesia updates, but holy shit it is awesome.

I hope it got lots of sales off of this. I honestly wasn't interested in Portal 2 at all before this ARG. I figured it was just a cash in, but now I think otherwise.

So fucking good.

yeah total cash in. Valve needed to hurry this game out while that "cake is a lie" thing was still hot. make a few quick bucks.

lol

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
Foxy Fox 39 said:
I'm so confused on what you guys are doing.
You know that scene in the matrix when Neo starts seeing the source code? It's like that, but with SalsaShark seeing tons of potatoes.

epmode

31!

Finally got that miserable Audiosurf potato. Pro was a lot easier than Novice for me. It's a good thing that the song is SO GOOD.

The Ball and Amnesia tomorrow! Saved the best for last.

Zomba13

Drkirby said:
I just can't do that AaAaA level.
If you get to where the speed booster plates are, ignore some/all of them so it's easier to steer down there. Hit the blue hex plate for points and the slowdown plates to slow down as you'll no longer have your parachute.

Lostconfused said:
Yeah I think I am just going to be one of the cool kids that has no potatoes.
Yep. It's just not worth it (especially because all the games on there I don't completely suck at aren't on Mac).

Daigoro

Lostconfused said:
Yeah I think I am just going to be one of the cool kids that has no potatoes.

im taterless too so far. though i might goof around over the next day or two and nab one. maybe. possibly.

Kuga

Up to 30. Two in Cogs and one more in Amnesia...

Drkirby said:
I just can't do that AaAaA level.

It took me a bit of time to do that one too. I can't say much other than watch your orientation with the teleporters (you exit at the same orientation) and practice until you get the route down.

Chanser said:
I really hope collecting some of these potatoes isn't a waste of time.

I don't know about you, but I find most of them fun. Cogs does drive me nuts though.

EDIT: 33. Huzzah. I feel bad about cheating through the cogs puzzles, but they are just insane.

classicdms

Neo Member
It occurs to me that it was pretty good timing for Valve to drop their screenshot feature in Steam a couple weeks before they do something which makes EVERYONE want to screenshot stuff in their Steam games.

Clever sons of bitches.

alba

Little is the new Big
Wasn't really following the whole ARG thing until today and man, this thing is so awesome. Got my first potato in the Audiosurf challenge, gotta get the killing floor one now :D

Phantom Limbs said:
4/15/2011 = ValvE Vs. Capcom announcement.
Be ready.

My body is NOT ready :eek:

Jintor said:
Well, I wouldn't want an ARG for L4D3 :p

Ok, now I want it. Blood stained encrypted classified reports, broken radio messages from survivors, government official instruction by steam chat...

I want it SO BAD.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Fuck Audiosurf.

Edit: I think I'm done. Some of the more bullshit requirements are frustrating me too much.

Cipherr

Pipomantis said:
My body is NOT ready :eek:

Ok, now I want it. Blood stained encrypted classified reports, broken radio messages from survivors, government official instruction by steam chat...

I want it SO BAD.

Dude dont do that. I dont even want to think about how awesome that would be.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Zerokku said:
On one hand I agree. On the other hand, I can't stop listening to The Device Has Been Modified V2 now.

Yeah, it's a great song.

Potatoes are off my to-do list now, though. I had fun while it lasted.

Zerokku said:
Did you upload it to GAF? No more external avatars.

nvm, just seen that. Sorry for the off topic.

BACK ON THE HYPE TRAIN!

8e03154r.jpg

Top Bottom