• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vehicle plows into counter protesters in Charlottesville

mlclmtckr

Banned
The inevitable, unacceptable risk for which the bloodthirsty armchair berserkers in this thread and others cannot spare a passing thought. Over the past few days I've watched people who cannot abide the death penalty for fear of executing an innocent person positively salivating at the notion of going vigilante and cracking some Nazi skulls open. The fuck happened to us?

Or, you know, you just fight them in the streets when they're dressed in Nazi gear instead of trying to internet detective your way to their house

physically fighting them doesn't work either. Giving a Nazi a bloody nose might make you feel good. but I don't think he's going to go home and have a change of heart. If anything, his hatred will be fueled by it.

Spencer went underground after the punch for months...

Original Nazism was defeated through international violence (war) and state/institutional violence (hate speech and Nazi iconography laws).

image.php

Is this like an ironic avatar?

Lol right

Civil disobedience is where I draw the line. Rosa Parks refusing to give up her seat is one well known example. Taking a day off from work to go to a protest armed with twin sais and throwing stars for the sole purpose of drawing blood isn't what I would call civil disobedience. What Kree is talking about sounds to me like a right to revolution. And what is going on now doesn't fall into that category either.

What's with the cartoonish description who is talking about Japanese blade weapons?

Americans like to pretend their problems haven't been soundly addressed in a sensible fashion by other developed nations for decades... be it hate speech, gun control or socialized health care. They've been brainwashed by their media... and their government... to believe that any slight change on any of these fronts will result in the end of the bill of rights, the incarceration of innocents, the end of their religion of choice and that evil non-white immigrants will descend upon their newly unarmed selves and rape their families and steal their jobs.

American Exceptionalism is the greatest propaganda concept ever created.

Phrynobatrachus

Neo Member
Civil disobedience is where I draw the line. Rosa Parks refusing to give up her seat is one well known example. Taking a day off from work to go to a protest armed with twin sais and throwing stars for the sole purpose of drawing blood isn't what I would call civil disobedience. What Kree is talking about sounds to me like a right to revolution. And what is going on now doesn't fall into that category either.

civil disobedience is one tactic among many, it was hardly the entire civil rights movement

civil disobedience is one tactic among many, it was hardly the entire civil rights movement

People seem to forget that things like Civil disobedience worked because the threat of something far more was always in the background.

People dismiss say Malcolm X's philosophy as a losing one but it actually succeeded because it made more "peaceful" approaches more palatable to racist white governments.

I don't think many things will cause someone who believes in Nazi ideals in 2017 will cause a change of heart

Like at all
But don't you see, if we have a civil debate with Nazis we can pat ourselves on the back about our well reasoned arguments while they win new recruits to the Nazi cause using appeals that aren't based on logic or reason anyway.

Ponn

Banned
I don't think many things will cause someone who believes in Nazi ideals in 2017 will cause a change of heart

Like at all

I actually tried on facebook today. After typing out several paragraphs of information and being civil I was met with two simple replies of

"Welp you're drinking the koolaid"

and

"We had 8 years of violence with Obama. Ignorance is bliss"

I hit unfriend. I'm not even going to try anymore. Another friend on Facebook had the right idea when he just posted a very simple "Fuck Trump and everyone who voted for him" message. Let them do the legwork of unfriending for you.

People seem to forget that thinks like Civil disobedience worked because the threat of something far more was always in the background.

People dismiss say Malcolm X's philosophy as a losing one but it actually succeeded because it made more "peaceful" approaches more palatable to racist white governments.

Yeah, the relative popularity of Malcolm X and (the version of) MLK (made palatable to diet racists after he was assassinated) really says nothing about their relative contributions to the Civil Rights movement, nor does it imply that anything either one accomplished was truly independent of the efforts of the other.

But don't you see, if we have a civil debate with Nazis we can pat ourselves on the back about our well reasoned arguments while they win new recruits to the Nazi cause using appeals that aren't based on logic or reason anyway.
We should try to talk to them again like in the 1930s. They wouldn't try to wipe out a human population the first chance they got or anything, would they?

Heroman

Banned
It is kinda of werid seeing all these ww2 USA vets. post in here like yeah they help fight against Nazi Germany but then they came home and continued terrorising black people.

It is kinda of werid seeing all these ww2 USA vets. post in here like yeah they help fight against Nazi Germany but then came home and continued terrorising black people.

That's the unfortunate part. Most of the people in the uproar only act when it's an overt act of racism. The systemic racism and white supremacy remains in place. They just want to get back to their negative peace.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
People seem to forget that things like Civil disobedience worked because the threat of something far more was always in the background.

I think you misunderstood what happened. Civil disobedience worked because the public aka so called white moderate, was seeing peaceful non violent protesters beaten and sprayed with fire hoses on the evening news.

Ponn

Banned
I think you misunderstood what happened. Civil disobedience worked because the public aka so called white moderate, was seeing peaceful non violent protesters beaten and sprayed with fire hoses on the evening news.

So the key all along was white moderates need to see minorities beaten to death/near death, attacked by dogs and sprayed down with fire houses to get their empathy.

Welp, get the message out to minorities then on what to do. Maybe this time racism and bigotry really will disappear for good.

Kyzer

Banned
Yeah im all about shitting on racists and killing nazis but the idea that we -should- have a full fledged violent political civil war because "talking doesnt work" sounds like the dumbest most naive shit ever. War and revolution are not some thing youre gonna be able to watch on tv and post about on neogaf, and sit back and enjoy while racism is "solved" or "ended"...your family might die, you might die, the economy would tank which would lead to a worldwide depression, critical modern infrastructure would be compromised, daily life in the united states would become a dark enigma that quite frankly i dont want to find out what would look like. War is literally one of the most extreme possible answer to anything human. Id rather we at least try to deal with this shit other ways first? Like how about we start monitoring and treating these motherfuckers like the terrorists they are and send them to guantanamo instead of letting them run wild as if they arent textbook fucking terrorists. Also, what do people even mean "revolution"? Like against the US government? Thats not the nazis. And before you say sure they are and make a comment about the NYPD and Trump administration, are you seriously then implying that a liberal militia would stand anything less than 0% chance to take over the government? Honestly even a liberal militia against a right wing one seems pretty lopsided, in terms of firepower. Fuck a revolution, the whole american military should be on our side when it comes to killing nazis. What we need to do is treat these people as criminals and stop losing elections. The idea that all that weve been doing all this time is "talking" is crazy anyways

It also worked because people saw what might happen if they didn't stop assaulting peaceful non violent protests.

Ishan

So the key all along was white moderates need to see minorities beaten to death/near death, attacked by dogs and sprayed down with fire houses to get their empathy.

Welp, get the message out to minorities then on what to do. Maybe this time racism and bigotry really will disappear for good.

I strongly dislike this advocating of violence . Yes non violence works and the reason it works is the perpetrators of violence see it and notice they are wrong .... And guess what making someone feel guilty works better than beating them up . I've repeated Indians example fucking South Africa Mandela etc etc but no the idea of non violence is anathema to some ppl .

yea it's suffering more .its for a greater good .

Kyzer

Banned
I mean you realize your proposed solution was lock them up in gitmo eh?

Who the fuck really is talking about outright war anyway

Yes toss the nazi terrorists in fucking gitmo whats the problem ? How is that not a better option than war in the streets? Are you worried about them being treated poorly?

And scroll up, look in other threads, people talk about the need for our side to start fighting the way they do all the time because talking doesnt work, which is not only a disingenuous portrayal of our sides activism but an extreme and dangerous solution. Its like if there was a liberal equivalent to Trump saying we need to bomb the shit out of them, its not even a deep thought. We shouldnt have to go to war, the government should be tracking and monitoring these terrorists, and if they support ethnic cleansing it shouldnt be a protected opinion or free speech, they should lose their freedom, its terrorism. They should not be able to walk around, post blogs and YouTube comments, much less organize and proliferate. Its crazy that these assholes acknowledge that their race owns and dominate the country but feel threatened by a crazy conspiracy theory that a group of people might want to take over the world. They literally are fighting against an invisible enemy whos threatening quality is that they might do what they themselves are already doing. As for the term revolution im literally confused at what the people using that word even mean, it would be a civil war, not a revolution

ZOONAMI

Exactly. It worked so well last time guys. Let's just do the same thing again when the same shit is happening, again, 50+ years later (and has been happening the entire time in between).

I strongly dislike this advocating of violence . Yes non violence works and the reason it works is the perpetrators of violence see it and notice they are wrong .... And guess what making someone feel guilty works better than beating them up . I've repeated Indians example fucking South Africa Mandela etc etc but no the idea of non violence is anathema to some ppl .

You go get beat to death to advance the cause, bruh. Seriously, it's for the greater good.

newsflash, MLK's strategy of putting women & children on the frontline to be brutalized in order to gain sympathy from the world won't work when unarmed black people are routinely beaten & killed by police on camera only to receive vocal support & monetary rewards crowdfunded by white america

but since you believe being killed is for the greater good, you are offering to be a martyr for the rest of us, right? or are you just telling others to continue eating shit to maintain the status quo?

Show me where it has worked against Nazism

mlclmtckr

Banned

Fascism is specifically designed to take advantage of this kind of thinking. Your usual notions about how politics work in liberal democracies just aren't going to be effective in combating these people.

Yes toss the nazi terrorists in fucking gitmo whats the problem ? How is that not a better option than war in the streets? Are you worried about them being treated poorly?

And scroll up, look in other threads, people talk about the need for our side to start fighting the way they do all the time because talking doesnt work, which is not only a disingenuous portrayal of our sides activism but an extreme and dangerous solution. Its like if there was a liberal equivalent to Trump saying we need to bomb the shit out of them, its not even a deep thought. We shouldnt have to go to war, the government should be tracking and monitoring these terrorists, and if they support ethnic cleansing it shouldnt be a protected opinion or free speech, they should lose their freedom, its terrorism. They should not be able to walk around, post blogs and YouTube comments, much less organize and proliferate. Its crazy that these assholes acknowledge that their race owns and dominate the country but feel threatened by a crazy conspiracy theory that a group of people might want to take over the world. They literally are fighting against an invisible enemy whos threatening quality is that they might do what they themselves are already doing. As for the term revolution im literally confused at what the people using that word even mean, it would be a civil war, not a revolution

Because no one is going to do that. There's no legal means of doing that.

Like you realize the ACLU advocates on the behalf of Nazis' right to march yes?

In many ways the US is perfect for fascism to eventually take hold because of how easy it is for them to use its legal foundation to advance their purposes.

I mean the ACLU's (and this is not blaming them just stating fact) main source of donations comes from left wing people and the ACLU has and will continue to use that money to legally defend the right of Nazis to rally (which is exactly what they did to ensure this weekend's march happened). Literally facists are able to get legal defense paid for by left wing dollars because US law is so fucking rigid that the ACLU feels they are compelled to do so. That's just one example on how the tools of the American legal system are useful to fascists.

What tou were suggesting is something that right now is even less possible than fighting it out in the streets

Top Bottom