• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VIDEO: Bikers attack Range Rover driver after he drives over them during a rally(NY)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bodacious

Banned
That would be pretty damning to the driver if the rumor is true, but you don't try to force the dude to stop. You have his plates and you can tail him. It is not the biker's job to carry out justice.

Not really. If you watch all those videos and see how this mob was riding through traffic, it'd be pretty hard to blame anyone driving a car for colliding with one of them.

Here's the RR driver's wife and kid who were in the car with him.

jPjyIdq.jpg

Here's how the RR driver ended up when they finally got him out of the truck.

GtgFQOq.jpg

They can't charge anyone when everybody flees on bikes that have no identifying plates.

Are there reports that the bikers fled? Looking at the video there are bikes with and without plates that were there during the incident. The earlier ABC article says the investigation is still ongoing and this other article I found says Police are looking at Gas Station surveillance footage.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...-suv-chased-beaten-by-speed-demon-bikers?lite

This article also has the events in a different timeline and different description than what previous articles have.

The video shows the motorcycles converged on the 33-year-old man's vehicle on the West Side Highway in Harlem, and he apparently clipped a bike that cut closely in front of him.
Advertise | AdChoices

The motorcycle rider suffered a broken leg, Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said. Some of the other bikers then surrounded the SUV.

"They take their helmets and start to dent his car, and apparently his tires are slashed there with a knife," Kelly said.

The video, shot with a helmet-mounted camera, shows the driver then took off, knocking down more bikes as others tore down the blacktop after him.

During a 50-block chase, the bikers managed to trap the Range Rover again, and one of them got off and pulled open the driver's side door before the motorist swerved and sped away.

After his tires finally went flat on a side street, the group blocked him in again. One biker was seen yanking off his helmet and using it to smash in the SUV window.

I think the accuracy of the reporting at this point in time is still spotty. As I said before, none of this excuses the Bikers who attacked the driver. The only question is did the driver do something wrong as well.

That would be pretty damning to the driver if the rumor is true, but you don't try to force the dude to stop. You have his plates and you can tail him. It is not the biker's job to carry out justice.

Completely agree with the bold.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Geez, I just heard about this an hour ago. Crazy enough, I was on the West Side Highway yesterday and the bike gang passed me by.

Zoe

Are there reports that the bikers fled? Looking at the video there are bikes with and without plates that were there during the incident. The earlier ABC article says the investigation is still ongoing and this other article I found says Police are looking at Gas Station surveillance footage.

Well they certainly didn't stick around and help the guy they just beat up.

Well they certainly didn't stick around and help the guy they just beat up.

I wasn't insinuating that at all. The articles just don't mention whether or not the Police were there in time to interrupt the attack or if they showed up after the fact. The pictures most recently posted makes it look like the Driver was unconscious when they arrived though. I don't know if that means the Bikers stopped, were stopped by other people, or took off when they heard the sirens.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Fuck those bikers.

Whoever got run over deserved it. Getting off the highway was probably a bad move for the Range Rover driver, he should have stayed on the highway and called the cops to his position. Or better yet, he should have set his GPS to the nearest NYPD station, would like to see how tough those bikers would have been then.

Edit: Oh didn't realize his tires were slashed. Still, I hope he called the cops and told them his life was in danger.

Hale-XF11

I was invited but did not go.(sold my supermoto and 5 hours away)

Since you apparently have some kind of tie with these bikers, can you maybe help the rest of us understand why these guys think it's ok to break all the rules of the road and endanger other people's lives?

Fusebox

Banned
Yeah, still no sympathy. If he hadn't decided to try and illegally detain the driver by stopping his bike in front of a car in the middle of a road none of this wouldn't have happened. You put yourself in harms way, gonna get harmed sometime.

Bowler

Since you apparently have some kind of tie with these bikers, can you maybe help the rest of us understand why these guys think it's ok to break all the rules of the road and endanger other people's lives?

I cant speak for everyone, but I wont lie and say I havent pulled a wheelie on public roads, rode faster then the speed limit, or lane split. Like anything else, the freedom of riding is like no other. BUT im opposed to this sort of thing. I would not do it around any other vehicles, nor am I trying to show off. To me the only appropriate time to do that kind of stuff is under closed conditions at stunt events. The issue is that closed events are few and far between.

I also do NOT at this time no anyone that went. I have texted a bunch of people, and im just trickling in info.

im kindof out of the scene since selling my bike. Im still on a bunch of riding forums, and if I get biker side of story I will post, as I have above

vikki

Not really. If you watch all those videos and see how this mob was riding through traffic, it'd be pretty hard to blame anyone driving a car for colliding with one of them.

Here's the RR driver's wife and kid who were in the car with him.

jPjyIdq.jpg

Here's how the RR driver ended up when they finally got him out of the truck.

GtgFQOq.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't the guys fault at all, but even if a car hits you and it is completely their fault, you can't just drive off. it's considered a hit and run. Not that i believe the bikers would tell the truth, look how they handled the situation, but you still can't drive off after an accident. All of this is just a rumor though. Bottom line is that the bikers were in the wrong and I hope they are dealt with appropriately.

I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't the guys fault at all, but even if a car hits you and it is completely their fault, you can't just drive off. it's considered a hit and run. Not that i believe the bikers would tell the truth, look how they handled the situation, but you still can't drive off after an accident. All of this is just a rumor though. Bottom line is that the bikers were in the wrong and I hope they are dealt with appropriately.

More likely the dudes immediately tried to retaliate and didn't give the driver a chance to pull over. they probably caused the incident, then immediately attacked.

watch all the video above. They were acting like idiots and not respecting the road. driving on the sidewalks, driving on the wrong side of the road, etc etc.

Hale-XF11

I cant speak for everyone, but I wont lie and say I havent pulled a wheelie on public roads, rode faster then the speed limit, or lane split. Like anything else, the freedom of riding is like no other. BUT im opposed to this sort of thing. I would not do it around any other vehicles, nor am I trying to show off. To me the only appropriate time to do that kind of stuff is under closed conditions at stunt events. The issue is that closed events are few and far between.

I also do NOT at this time no anyone that went. I have texted a bunch of people, and im just trickling in info.

im kindof out of the scene since selling my bike. Im still on a bunch of riding forums, and if I get biker side of story I will post, as I have above

Good to hear. Since you were invited, did you know that they were planning on driving around the city like that?

I wonder, does hit and run still apply in a situation where you're surrounded by a mob and feel like your life is in danger with no other way out? I highly doubt it, but then again, I don't know.

antonz

For a group (the bikers) preaching their innocence so loudly they sure seem to be attempting to cover up their tracks pretty hastily. deleting videos showing them speeding down sidewalks in communities during this ride all because cars were stopped at a light/traffic etc.

spwolf

Good to hear. Since you were invited, did you know that they were planning on driving around the city like that?

I wonder, does hit and run still apply in a situation where you're surrounded by a mob and feel like your life is in danger with no other way out? I highly doubt it, but then again, I don't know.

guy was cleared by the police and so far they have given 60 summons and confisticated 18 bikes during this event.

From other videos shown, similar things were happening across the city... they were running red lights and harassing other drivers for not getting out of their way... In this video Prius got their mirror broken for probably not stopping when they run red light.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ujSkztMRrs&feature=youtu.be

vikki

More likely the dudes immediately tried to retaliate and didn't give the driver a chance to pull over. they probably caused the incident, then immediately attacked.

watch all the video above. They were acting like idiots and not respecting the road. driving on the sidewalks, driving on the wrong side of the road, etc etc.

It's quite possible, but we're not even certain that he hit someone prior to running over all those bikes.

I think there is some gray area, in that case at least signal the bikers of your intent to pull over and get on the phone with the police. You can let them know that you intend to find a parking lot close to the location so that the police can meet them there. I don't want to talk about being reasonable with the bikers, they were clearly out of control, and the driver could very well get off with that defense because of the evidence.I am with you guys, fuck the bikers and I hope the RR dude is okay. I hope the injured biker is okay too, even if he was at fault.

Bowler

Even if I had my bike still I wouldnt have went. Those videos not of the chase are extreme, and the worst ive seen on display. Then again we live in a youtube society where showing off and 733t riding skills gets hits.

I prefer riding dirt over asphalt because of pedestrians and range rovers. Too soon?

It's quite possible, but we're not even certain that he hit someone prior to running over all those bikes.

if he didn't hit anybody prior to the asshole that slammed his breaks in front of the SUV so the SUV would rear end him, and then got attacked by everybody, then the guy in the SUV is completely in the free of any wrong imo.

antonz

if he didn't hit anybody prior to the asshole that slammed his breaks in front of the SUV so the SUV would rear end him, and then got attacked by everybody, then the guy in the SUV is completely in the free of any wrong imo.

I highly doubt he hit anyone prior because the person recording the event has like 50 videos from last years asshole ride yet somehow only has the one this year. On top of that police only reference the one injured biker.

Hale-XF11

guy was cleared by the police and so far they have given 60 summons and confisticated 18 bikes during this event.

From other videos shown, similar things were happening across the city... they were running red lights and harassing other drivers for not getting out of their way... In this video Prius got their mirror broken for probably not stopping when they run red light.

Crazy. These guys are like modern day Hell's Angels. Maybe worse.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)

Wow, so tough.

gogogow

Good. What a bunch of savages, they had it coming.

I highly doubt he hit anyone prior because the person recording the event has like 50 videos from last years asshole ride yet somehow only has the one this year. On top of that police only reference the one injured biker.
Yeah, there's a reason why the video was edited like that. Those savages probaby has done way worse shit before the video started and the video ended, how convenient, when they were about to beat the shit out of they guy in the range rover.

ezrarh

You guys defending the bikers are dumbasses. I only wished the guy in the range rover knocked a few more of them over.

Bowler

Im not defending anyone,nor am I a dumbass. Just trying to put everything in perspective, as it is apparent that the media like normal, has only reported a one sided story.

Im not defending anyone,nor am I a dumbass. Just trying to put everything in perspective, as it is apparent that the media like normal, has only reported a one sided story.

To be fair, I don't think he was referring to you. There were some earlier posts in the thread that were more obvious "biker defense"

Honest question. Do you think those guys only have that small chunk of video? They have so many others. They didn't get what happened first on tape? Are they hiding it? If they have video of the driver in the wrong too, why not post it?

Bowler

Honest question. Do you think those guys only have that small chunk of video? They have so many others. They didn't get what happened first on tape? Are they hiding it? If they have video of the driver in the wrong too, why not post it?

Honestly I dont think he has the pre cursor to what happened. From where the video started he didnt look to be close enough. However he most certainly has the video capture of the beat down. The vileness of that alone is disturbing, let alone pulling him out and cutting him.

I have yet to see another capture

antonz

so some of the bikers got arrested ?

They are going for who they can. Plenty of people knowing they were out for a day of illegal activity had no plates etc so will need people to turn in their fellow riders.

Seeing how the group is deleting evidence and turning their groups private with needing administrator approval to join etc they are trying to go as underground as they can

kaiju

The biker that posted the video must feel stupid right now. Funny thing is, he posted it thinking the bikers were in the right, and even lied about a biker being dead. Instead he gave authorities a shitload of evidence.

kaiju

The bikers were attacking the Range Rover right after the brake check hit. The family was scared for their lives and had a toddler in the car. They had no choice but to try to get out of there.

I wonder how different this story would be if the Range Rover driver threw that bitch into reverse and took out whatever he had to to get to safety. I wonder only because that's what I would have done differently, besides staying on the highway. Even if I was carrying which a lot of people keep saying, this is the simpler solution

antonz

I wonder how different this story would be if the Range Rover driver threw that bitch into reverse and took out whatever he had to to get to safety. I wonder only because that's what I would have done differently, besides staying on the highway. Even if I was carrying which a lot of people keep saying, this is the simpler solution

Oh yeah even if I was carrying a piece in that situation its not one where you'd probably want to take it out. Im sure at least some of those asshats had their own piece and considering the ammo limits it wouldn't be feasible to be able to hold them off if they made a move even after exposing the gun.

Nesotenso

ok looking at the other liveleak uploads, if it is the same group then some of these assholes need to be caught. wtf at the dude riding on the wrong side of the road weaving through oncoming traffic.

kaiju

My thoughts exactly. No way I would have veered off the freeway into traffic. I wonder if he was following what the 911 operator was telling him to do, or possibly low on gas. But yeah I would have thrown that sucker into reverse as soon as the guy hit my window. The bikers are lucky as hell this driver stood his ground, or more of them would have been seriously hurt.

I got trapped in my car by this gang years ago, and I kid you not it was scary as hell. Two of my buddies and I were cruising along our town's main street on a Friday night when some fat chicks drove up and started talking smack. My buddy yelled some choice words at them as they pulled into a Safeway lot off the road, where this gang was hanging out at.

I pulled into a parking lot shortly after to turn around and head back the other way (we missed our turn), when two hoopties pulled up and blocked the exit in front of me. Out jumped a handful of black dudes in red (crips), and the guy coming straight at me pulled out a gun.

My buddies told me to stay and talk it over, but I said fuck that and threw my car in reverse at top speed, sailing over an island. They threw a beer bottle through my back window as I turned around and headed for the exit on the other side. They chased me through red lights and everything, and when I saw what I thought was a cop car I pulled over. But it was just a security guard! Luckily they just passed by and that was that. Scariest moment of my life though. I'll take a beer bottle through a window over a bullet to the head any day!

It's called lane splitting bro, and its perfectly legal in some states.

And why shouldnt it be? Safe, AND reduces congestion?

Only people against it have their panties in a bunch because boo hoo, they bought something too big so they have to wait

LOL, you realize it's allowed not illegal in california right? And it's not even legal per say, it's more of a gray area since they have nothing specifically outlawing it.

leadbelly

Banned
Dat 4x4 magic. Rides over motorbikes with no effort at all. Land Rover should use that as their advert.

Advert starts. *Insert crazed Motorbike gang forcing driver to stop* *Camera focuses in on Range Rover suspension technology as car drives over three motorbikes effortlessly*

"Range Rover. Because you never know what is around the next corner"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom