• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The biker that was run over by the SUV in NYC might be paralyzed for life

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you (allot of people) really are going a bit far with the association/affiliation of all the people out riding bikes that day. It was a huge public event, bikers from all over not some cohesive group.

There does seem to be at least a loose association/affiliation with Hollywood Stuntz, I'm not sure what that is though.

I didn't actually say the group was an association or an affiliation, you said you would be riding with the bikers. I just wanted to know if you would associate with people driving the way some of these bikers did. You answered, thanks.

mm04

The infuriating thing about watching the other failed to be completely deleted videos is the blatant disregard for the laws of the road. By traveling in such a large pack, they basically act as if they own the road (and sidewalks) and everyone must bend to their wishes. Try and take a left turn when you've got a green light on these clowns? Get your Prius surrounded and window banged on by one of these idiots in one video. NYC needs to get a plan together on how to handle this situation in the future, otherwise the packs of bikes will just get larger and larger and more unfuly and unlawful.

Part of the problem in the first place.

"Everyone doesn't think exactly like me and share my sensibilities!" has been a common complaint throughout the ages. You're just going to have to learn to cope with the fact that you don't live in fantasy land where there's no violence and everything is wonderful...

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
No internet warrior and Truman disciple in this thread have as a MORAL PRINCIPLE to never have to kill another human being EVER, no matter the reason?

My fear of death is outweigh considerably by my aversion and absolute disgust at the thought of inflict it to another person, any person. I respect live so much that in no way I will ever choose to kill another human being, yes even by self defense, or even to protect my family. Sure I will protect them as much as I can until I have to kill to continue to do so.

Ironicaly, I'm not christian or religious anymore but I believe firmly in the moral imperative "Thou shalt not kill" with no "if" or "but" attach to it. For me is that simple really, no reason can ever justify the killing of another human being. Unfortunately, is very sad to live in a world where my position is considered the radical one.
No one died.

Pimpwerx

Only real bikes are Harleys BULLSHIT.

Harley groups do the exact same fucking thing everyone is crying about, slow down traffic, block intersections, act like total dicks to any cars that try and merge in the middle of their group. They just don't pop wheelies because they cant.

Harley riders have regular meetups down here. Plates and organized. When they're rolling in a big group, they don't occupy all lanes of the highway. They usually pack into one or two, making sure to leave an overtaking lane. I've never seen harley riders act like knuckleheads outside of having cut pipes that make ungodly noise. Even then, that's actually a safety measure for them, as if you're heard, you're less likely to get hit. Then again, harley riders are usually older folks, and thus more mature. Mind you, I can't stand harleys for the reason I state, too much noise. However, I've never seen then act like idiots in a mob.

There are also good street bike groups. A few groups used to badass their way down to South Beach every weekend, when I was younger. They drove fast as hell, breaking many speeding laws, and they'd close in and speed past you without much warning, but they never went around slowing traffic to stunt or anything like that. I got no problem with speeders, it is what it is. Plus, a 'Busa is made for speed, so go for it. It's their life at risk, not mine. However, they usually stuck together in one lane, unless overtaking, and never gave drivers shit.

The problem isn't bikers, it's douchebag bikers. There are rotten apples in every group. The problem is when you let a bunch of rotten apples get together at once. This is apparent in the videos by the mere presence of dirtbikes, atvs and bikes with no plates. No good will ever come out of a large number of those dimwits congregating together. They already think they're above the law, otherwise they'd have proper equipment underneath them. PEACE.

Fusebox

Banned
Can't watch the video right now, but was this a 1%er club, or merely an aggressive small-time MC?

I don't think either, just a loose collective of immature crotch jockeys. I doubt 10 of these guys together would have the balls to fuck with a single 1%er.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
How do you know they where slashing his tires? Again you are taking the word of the SUV driver here with no other evidence. Far more likely he punctured his tires running over peoples bikes.

Well, we certainly know they had at least one knife and we know they broke at least one window with a helmet. Why should we take the word of the bikers? The same ones who took license plates off their bikes, at least one of them was driving without a driving license as well. We also have videos of this group vandalizing other cars.

YES! you read that correctly. Everybody is not a potential killer.

I will defend myself and my family, I will just never kill to do so. Is so hard to understand?

Ok, I assume, as a "normal" person, you're repulse by the idea of raping someone, right? Then questions, would you rape someone to avoid be rape yourself? would you rape someone to save your live? If not, why not? you willing to kill but not to rape, how so?

Part of the problem in the first place.

Please don't bring a child into this world that you're not willing to protect.

oneHeero

They got Gloria Allred to defend them? Oh boy.

I wouldn't worry about the SUV driver's defense. Public opinion is massively on his side. Hell, I'd donate some dollars to his defense fund.
Someone should start a online fund for the RR to help pay for legal costs to counter the biker suing him or even just to help defend himself.

I'm in for twenty.

SuWeDi

Banned
Please describe a scenario in which raping someone is a legitimate means to avoid being raped.
And please do explain why one would have to rape to avoid being raped.
Dumbest logic I've ever heard in my long life. Using rape as an example in this situation? wut?
ok, you just equated killing in self-defense to raping your way to safety...? wha.?
You all focus on the circumstances instead of the action resulting from it. The circumstances can be anything and still lead to the same action. You all have in mind multiples circumstantial possibility in which you think you would kill someone to protect yourself or your family, but you have a hard time imagining any circumstances in which you could be force to rape someone to avoid be rape yourself? wow...

What about this as a circumstances... a criminal threaten you at gunpoint and ask you to rape someone else you know or not, if you refuse to act, he will rape you. What choice would you make then?

I'm pretty sure all of you here will say they prefer being rape than rape someone else even if force to do so. The reason you will give is, rape by principle is bad and also you will not harm, rape somebody who didn't "deserve it". The question is, can you imagine a single scenario where somebody could "deserve" to be rape (as a punition)? I'm sure not and the reason will be rape accomplish nothing for the rapist.

I'm also sure you would argue that killing in self defense accomplish something for the killer by saving his live. You will be right about that but I will then have to come to the conclusion that the aversion about the act of raping, as a moral principle is not enough for you, he also cannot accomplish anything relevant for you, because you know, you cannot "raping your way to safety"... killing, on the other hand... and that will be my point!

For you, raping, killing is not by principle unmoral and off limits as long as you can benefit from it, right? you cannot "raping your way to safety"? you will never rape somebody then. You can "killing your way to safety"? no problem then, you ready and willing to kill.

You have no moral limits? for your benefit you ready to do ANYTHING? No wonder then Hiroshima and Nagazaki, Everything goes as long as it benefit the doers. How could you stand then and criticize Saddam, Hitler, Pol Pot, Stalin... They not just like you? men ready and willing to do what they have to do for their own benefit? I may ad to the list Truman, Napoleon, Alexander of Macedon, Hernan Cortes and Columbus but I'm sure they already have their defense force ready in this thread.

it's a naive point of view. if someone was threatening to kill your child, had your child and was about to inflict a killing blow your views would change...
No, not my view, but maybe I will act in a way I didn't anticipate and be haunted by my action the rest of my life. Ultimately, I can't control my reflex but I'm sure I know what I don't want my reflex to make me do.

"Everyone doesn't think exactly like me and share my sensibilities!" has been a common complaint throughout the ages. You're just going to have to learn to cope with the fact that you don't live in fantasy land where there's no violence and everything is wonderful...
Yes you right, I should be ashamed to not think like a potential willing killer, my bad... but I'm not. I don't call any military member "hero" and I don't call a child who don't want to fight in school a coward also.

SuWedi has read too many Batman comics.
Or I just choose to see the world as it should be and not at it is and join the pack mindlessly...

Please don't bring a child into this world that you're not willing to protect.
I have a child and so far he's been doing quite alright for himself, thank you.

Or I just choose to see the world as it should be and not at it is and join the pack mindlessly....

You may think you've had some glorious realization that the rest of us human pack haven't about life, but the truth is most reasonable people would love and wish for an ideal world where nobody is killed, hurt, and everyone valued life equally. The difference between you and "the pack" is we understand the realities of the world, that every human is an individual, and there are the bad ones that don't share your view. When you come across those people who create bad situations, you have a right to life, and if applicable, a moral responsibility to protect your kin (wife, kid). This may unfortunately result in a death, given certain circumstances. The fact that you somehow look down upon us in the "pack" who would believe in something like that reeks of someone who needs to grow up and stop the old "smelling your own fart" thing.

No, not my view, but maybe I will act in a way I didn't anticipate and be haunted by my action the rest of my life. Ultimately, I can't control my reflex but I'm sure I know what I don't want my reflex to make me do.

Oh there's your out.

KHarvey16

You all focus on the circumstances instead of the action resulting from it. The circumstances can be anything and still lead to the same action. You all have in mind multiples circumstantial possibility in which you think you would kill someone to protect yourself or your family, but you have a hard time imagining any circumstances in which you could be force to rape someone to avoid be rape yourself? wow...

What about this as a circumstances... a criminal threaten you at gunpoint and ask you to rape someone else you know or not, if you refuse to act, he will rape you. What choice would you make then?

I'm pretty sure all of you here will say they prefer being rape than rape someone else even if force to do so. The reason you will give is, rape by principle is bad and also you will not harm, rape somebody who didn't "deserve it". The question is, can you imagine a single scenario where somebody could "deserve" to be rape (as a punition)? I'm sure not and the reason will be rape accomplish nothing for the rapist.

I'm also sure you would argue that killing in self defense accomplish something for the killer by saving his live. You will be right about that but I will then have to come to the conclusion that the aversion about the act of raping, as a moral principle is not enough for you, he also cannot accomplish anything relevant for you, because you know, you cannot "raping your way to safety"... killing, on the other hand... and that will be my point!

For you, raping, killing is not by principle unmoral and off limits as long as you can benefit from it, right? you cannot "raping your way to safety"? you will never rape somebody then. You can "killing your way to safety"? no problem then, you ready and willing to kill.

You have no moral limits? for your benefit you ready to do ANYTHING? No wonder then Hiroshima and Nagazaki, Everything goes as long as it benefit the doers. How could you stand then and criticize Saddam, Hitler, Pol Pot, Stalin... They not just like you? men ready and willing to do what they have to do for their own benefit? I may ad to the list Truman, Napoleon, Alexander of Macedon, Hernan Cortes and Columbus but I'm sure they already have their defense force ready in this thread.

Yes you right, I should be ashamed to not think like a potential willing killer, my bad... but I'm not. I don't call any military member "hero" and I don't call a child who don't want to fight in school a coward also.

Or I just choose to see the world as it should be and not at it is and join the pack mindlessly...

The fact you conflate the act of killing the source of danger and raping someone who is not is utterly bizarre to me.

Oxn

Seek help

And probably a debating course

this_guy

We all are focusing on the topic at hand. You went off on a bizarre scenario and basically said you would not protect your family in danger because you're too good for that.

TheGamer

This is from Jay Meezee's brother's FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=392073847571471&set=vb.100003065777698&type=3&theater

I would hate to be his neighbor...

Me too. The NY Post (http://nypost.com/2013/10/03/biker-organizer-taunted-nypd-from-his-moms-house/) interviewed some of the neighbors that lived on the same street as the rally organizer and one neighbor stated:

“There was about 300-400 bikes,” said one neighbor who asked not to be named. “It’s disturbing to see 300 bikes, the neighbors were terrified. All the smoke went into the houses. Everybody was traumatized.”

Another neighbor stated:

“Oh my god I hate them. For the past 4-5 years he’s been an absolute nuisance. They are annoying as hell,” said neighbor Jennifer Rodriguez, 36. She claims Lao and his biker buddies have terrorized her family.

“Sunday the whole street was covered,” Rodriguez said. “They cover all the sidewalks. People with kids and with dogs, they go right up to them like they are trying to scare them. You can’t say anything or else they will start a fight. I had to go out on Sunday and I had to wait 20 minutes until they left.”

“They scratch cars, they bump into them, they have no regard.”

It would suck to live next to this guy.

SmokyDave

It would suck to live next to this guy.

"Oh dear, I have no idea who would've placed that heavy-duty disc lock on your bike. How terribly inconvenient for you. I'd hope they don't keep doing that until you get whatever message they're trying to send you".

DyTonic

Banned
What if he was your relative, tone would be different for a lot of these comments. I feel bad for the dude smh.

No Love

Banned
SuWeDi, man, you fucking freak me out.

I feel sorry for him. Dude is so naive and obviously has never had to deal with high stakes situations in his life, hence his 'you never have to take drastic measures, don't hurt others' idealistic horseshit.

People really just talk out of their ass when it comes to some implausible moral high ground.

Stitch

Gold Member
"If this video receives 5,000,000 views by the end of the month, we will armor Alexian Lien's vehicle for free."

haha awesome

"Also, for the record, if Miley Cyrus wants us to armor her vehicle we will charge her double. Just sayin..."

bahahaha

But 5 million views in a month? Naah, won't happen.

scary stuff
Miley-Cyrus-Oh-Surprise-Reaction-Gif.gif

I don't give a shit who you call a hero or who fights in high-school. No one is talking about that. This is a scenario of clear cut self defense. If you don't or won't defend yourself in a situation like that that is perfectly acceptable. But don't sit on your high horse and pretend you're some evolved individual. I guarantee you if your son was in mortal danger you'd throw that bullshit out real quick and protect him. It's easy to be a pacifist when you're sitting comfortably behind a keyboard. Right now, I'm a pacifist too. But if I were driving and put in the same situation Lien was put in...I wouldn't be a pacifist no more.

It's not "mindless" to be cognizant of the way the world really is. It can save your life if applied correctly. Claiming that anyone that doesn't see the world as you do (as it should be) as "mindless" pack behavior is absolute nonsense.

Twio

Weird stuff

This doesn't make any sense. I have no idea what rape has to do with this (it doesn't) but it isn't making your agenda any more valid.

Also, it's easy to say that you wouldn't potentially kill to save your family behind a keyboard. Your opinion would probably change if you were put in a actual situation that could potentially be lethal to your family.

Just take out any biker you see from now on.
Yeah cause that's what this guy did. He totally had a vendetta, I heard a biker gang killed his parents right in front of him. In all seriousness if I'm surrounded by 100+ angry people and my only way out is through them, so be it. If they decide to pursue me after that I will do anything to escape.
That guy is lucky to be alive. If they knew the biker was likely paralyzed I doubt he would be.

I feel for anybody that has to deal with something like this happening to them, but... there is why would you stop on a highway? You are just asking for something bad to happen?

SuWeDi

Banned
I feel sorry for him. Dude is so naive and obviously has never had to deal with high stakes situations in his life, hence his 'you never have to take drastic measures, don't hurt others' idealistic horseshit.

People really just talk out of their ass when it comes to some implausible moral high ground.
Maybe you not going to believe this but I lost more than 10 close family member (uncluding my sister, nephew, cousin, oncle, etc) since February 2010, just to let you know. Don't ask me how...

Maybe you not going to believe this but I lost more than 10 close family member (uncluding my sister, nephew, cousin, oncle, etc) since February 2010, just to let you know. Don't ask me how...

I'm sorry to hear that. How has that affected your views on self-defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom