• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Volgarr the Viking |OT| RISE, 16-BIT HARDCORE NOSTALGIA!

Yo, this game is tough as fuck but the idle animation makes it all better :)

iLrpHkJzRoZpz.gif

Haunted

Aw yeah, I cheesed Fafnir so fucking hard. Found the perfect spot to spam charged spears (by accident).

On the difficulty aspect, I think two checkpoints per level is a bit too stingy, at least another one halfway through the second part of the levels to make getting back to the bosses less of a pain would have been appreciated. I think the checkpoint frequency in the last level was better, though maybe a bit too frequent compared to the toughness of the levels before.

Given that Ending A pretty much requires a near perfect run anyway (hence making checkpoints pretty much meaningless), I think this would've been a better balance for those just wanting to get through the game and those hardcore 1ccers.

But that's obviously just my opinion, and purely subjective depending on how skilled a player is and how much time he can invest into learning the game.

I don't think this game is unfair or that it has trial and error gameplay at all. Yes, you have to learn the levels and learn how to deal with each enemy and boss pattern, but that's not trial and error. You have to be aware of your moveset and how to approach a given situation with the tools available to you. The game never surprise-kills you instantly or puts you into an unwinnable position or something - it's always pattern-based and thus, predictable.

Crazy Viking Studios - great game!

Tain

Clean sweep :D
GhMzi0H.png

Volgarr would probably be my GOTY if Dodonpachi Saidaioujou hadn't come out. I might be jumping the gun a little, but I'd say it can easily go toe-to-toe with the best action/platformers. It's an excellent game.

lol, awesome. Seeing this kind of praise from you and Macaw makes me all the more pumped. The game's still in my queue (after w101), so my positive impressions are all pretty much based on the first stage, but I'm glad to hear it isn't front-loaded.

Riposte

I'm going to second this game being pretty legit. However, I've only played up to the first boss, which I haven't beaten yet. The boss makes use of the game's platforming mechanics and is probably the highlight so far.

I'm guessing the most popular comparison is to Rastan; I can see that. I'm pretty sure the game's first secret is taken right from that game. Not much to say that probably hasn't already been said. Even for a game that gives unlimited continues, it is sufficiently punishing if you end up getting kicked without gear (I think gear only stacks to two additional hits too) and the level design is fun to learn / retry (so far). This isn't some Super Meat Boy garbage (perhaps that alone is remarkable for an "indie" game advertising how tough it is - not that I plan to start calling this indie from here on out). Really unexpected that jumps lock trajectory, but a welcomed surprise. It is not too bad looking, with the bones flopping around from dead enemies and such being the ugliest thing about it. The music is also alright (though I have the sudden urge to link Rastan's music instead... too good).

Few questions I need to be cleared up:

1) Gold/gems/etc only good for score? Any other use?

2) I'm totally confused by the save structure, or even if there is one. I've been playing in twenty minute sessions while studying for exams, but I couldn't find a way to save progress and had to restart from the very beginning on the second session. My current guess is that it will only save when you reach a new world with checkpoint crystals or w/e not saving in between sessions?

KarmaCow

Few questions I need to be cleared up:

1) Gold/gems/etc only good for score? Any other use?

2) I'm totally confused by the save structure, or even if there is one. I've been playing in twenty minute sessions while studying for exams, but I couldn't find a way to save progress and had to restart from the very beginning on the second session. My current guess is that it will only save when you reach a new world with checkpoint crystals or w/e not saving in between sessions?

1) Yea it's just score. It's weird because your speed is far more important than picking up treasure. The loot from the boss is tied to your completion time.

2) It doesn't hard save, it just unlock shortcuts when you reach a new world and those will persist through different sessions. Move left at the beginning of the world to warp to the next world. This only works for Path of the Crystal or standard worlds. Path of the Valkyrie or hard variant worlds require that you unlock them from the previous world by collecting warrior spirits which you get by opening 3(?) chests after fully maxing out your equipment. The spirits act as lives in Valkyrie worlds.

edit: Was world 2 the only one that was changed? It seemed like they just made it quicker. It's much easier to get the chest right away at the beginning of the second stage now.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I really wasn't sure about the game at first, but I sat down and really gave it a fair shot a couple days ago, and yeah. Now I absolutely love it. It's clear that this game was designed by people who know exactly what good game design is... I'm just stunned by how well the levels are laid out. It's a really tough game, sure, but it's designed in such a way that you are constantly learning, and you can actually see yourself getting better each time you attempt a level. And yeah, even though I've thrown my controller several times, I keep coming back. That's gotta be worth something.

Anyway, I scrub-cleared the game earlier today. Going for no deaths now. Stages 1 through 5 aren't a problem, but I keep fucking up in the last part of stage 6. I'll get there.

But yeah, anyone who's tired of retro-styled games that feel like pale imitations of actual old games should check this one out. Volgarr is every bit as good as action games from the '90s, and I'm convinced that if it had come out back then, it'd be one of the games we get nostalgic for today.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
How in the hell are you supposed to get this chest?

10001406316_e702e1ddcd_o.png

The only method I found was to roll into the fireballs to get knocked onto the platform (opening the chest first with a spear to keep the power up). This method is far too moronic to be what you're supposed to do though.

How in the hell are you supposed to get this chest?

The only method I found was to roll into the fireballs to get knocked onto the platform (opening the chest first with a spear to keep the power up). This method is far too moronic to be what you're supposed to do though.

roll then double jump worked for me

You actually shouldn't have to double jump. Just a rolling jump should make it.

Danny Dudekisser

I only died once in my last run, so I'm improving pretty rapidly. Think I should be able to get through the whole thing without dying tonight... and that's going to be insanely satisfying.

Satisfaction.

That's a feeling that's missing from most games today. I like feeling like a baller, but it only works when the game makes you earn it.

mmmmm

Sinatar

Why does the world 4 boss take so many hits? I know the devs post here, I'd love to hear the reasoning behind having the player repeat the same linear patter 20+ times?

Kalnos

Banned
Why does the world 4 boss take so many hits? I know the devs post here, I'd love to hear the reasoning behind having the player repeat the same linear patter 20+ times?

There is a way to kill him quickly.

Throw spears into the wall a fair ways up, climb onto them, and then when he lunges at you jump and then do a downward attack. This will also result in a stalactite falling on him.

Riposte

I must be an idiot lol. I'm still starting from the beginning upon starting the game despite reaching the second world (with the fishmen).

Kalnos

Banned
I must be an idiot lol. I'm still starting from the beginning upon starting the game despite reaching the second world (with the fishmen).

Walk to the left off the screen once you start playing, and then again when you load into World 1.

KarmaCow

It is kinda lame that it only has 2 attacks but you can take it down in 2 cycles with the normal sword and that's only when you attack during the lunge phase. The world 3 boss takes longer and it's not that much more complex.

There is a way to kill him quickly.

Throw spears into the wall a fair ways up, climb onto them, and then when he lunges at you jump and then do a downward attack. This will also result in a stalactite falling on him.

Wait,
how else are you supposed to do it? The lunge attack tracks for a while, can you run to the right when it attacks?

It is kinda lame that it only has 2 attacks but you can take it down in 2 cycles with the normal sword and that's only when you attack during the lunge phase. The world 3 boss takes longer and it's not that much more complex.

Wait,
how else are you supposed to do it? The lunge attack tracks for a while, can you run to the right when it attacks?

No, you're not fast enough, so it'll hit you. What you can do is
wait in the center of the screen and just before it lunges at you jump to the left and time a double jump so you spin hit it just as it's hitting the ground. Fire sword plus that talisman and it's done in a couple minutes.
The easiest boss fight once I realized this.

I killed him pretty fast...definitely easiest boss fight for me

I'll add to that strategy
when you make your spears you should have enough time to charge your spear and hit the snake before he lunges at you.

Sinatar

He was super duper easy, but the method I was doing (just hitting regularly) took like 5 minutes of just doing the exact same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over...

It really stood out as the rest of the game is so meticulously designed, just felt like something they gave to the drooling intern or something.

Mzo

Just started this game a couple of days ago.

It's excellent. Feels just fantastic to play and is so much fun to learn.

I'm so happy someone out there is still making games with some bite.

Sinatar

I've finally made it to the final world (via the crappy noob path mind you). World 5 was surprisingly easy.

Danny Dudekisser

The newest patch came out on GOG today (I think it's already been on Steam for a bit.) They really changed up a lot of stuff in stage 2. I'm not sure I like it, but then, maybe I'm just used to the old layout. They did clear up some of the more unnecessary bits, but I feel like they also made the stage easier, too. Weird that those fishman tank things only take 5 hits now instead of 6. Apart from that, the only difference I noticed was at the results screen, it notes that you did a full run through the game if you started from stage 1.

ArjanN

He was super duper easy, but the method I was doing (just hitting regularly) took like 5 minutes of just doing the exact same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over...

It really stood out as the rest of the game is so meticulously designed, just felt like something they gave to the drooling intern or something.

You can kill him in like 20 seconds with the fire sword.

Throw a spear into the left wall, jump on spear, wait until he rattles his tail, jump up and downstrike. His head will hit the wall and a spike will fall on him, then hit him a couple of times while he retreats.

Dodge the spike falling from the ceiling.

Repeat.

The newest patch came out on GOG today (I think it's already been on Steam for a bit.) They really changed up a lot of stuff in stage 2. I'm not sure I like it, but then, maybe I'm just used to the old layout. They did clear up some of the more unnecessary bits, but I feel like they also made the stage easier, too. Weird that those fishman tank things only take 5 hits now instead of 6. Apart from that, the only difference I noticed was at the results screen, it notes that you did a full run through the game if you started from stage 1.

IMO It's not really a big deal, as you'll essentially never see the normal path version of level 2 again anyway once you've beaten it.

This game is so awesome.

I had tried the valkyrie path several times and never beat stage 2. Then all of a sudden something clicked. I got past stage 2 with no deaths yet, and kept going. All the way to
stage 7, where the new enemies took out almost all my lives before I figured them out
. Somehow I got to the last boss on my last life. I knew it was fate; I was going to win.

I died.

But I immediately started over and got ending A.

Ziophaelin

This game is so awesome.

I had tried the valkyrie path several times and never beat stage 2. Then all of a sudden something clicked. I got past stage 2 with no deaths yet, and kept going. All the way to
stage 7, where the new enemies took out almost all my lives before I figured them out
. Somehow I got to the last boss on my last life. I knew it was fate; I was going to win.

I died.

But I immediately started over and got ending A.

Awesome, I love reading stories like that! Good job!

bigf00t

Just got a 25% off steam coupon for this, but I can't really justify buying more games right now, and it expires on the 15th. First reply gets it.

conman

Holy carp, is this one fishing awesome game!

Just picked this up a couple days ago with a Steam coupon. I had seen videos, but those videos really don't sell how great this game actually is. Incredibly tight, thoughtful design. It reminds me why procedurally generated levels will never scratch the same itch.

I've made it to the second boss. And I just saw above in this thread how to "warp," but I've gotten good and fast at the first level now, so I don't see the need. This game reminds me what it means to "learn" a game. It's the sort of game that I'll play in five years and my hands will remember what my brain doesn't.

Highly recommended.

It's all about the ducking attack. ;)

Got back to this and finally took down the second world boss.

The third world...only took a couple of tries. Am I over the hump or is that world just super free?

ArjanN

Got back to this and finally took down the second world boss.

The third world...only took a couple of tries. Am I over the hump or is that world just super free?

i think the later levels are actually easier but that might also be because you're better at the game at that point. You're over the hump...until you get to the alternate Valkyrie level path.

I got it and said I will just beat world 1. 6 hours later I beat the whole game. Yeah I suck so I died a lot, but I literally couldn't stop playing. So addicting.

I've never played Rastan but this to me is a hybrid between (classic) Castlevania and Ghouls 'n Ghosts.

I will try for ending B now. From what I read you can start from World 5 so it shouldn't be that time consuming. Ending A sounds impossible for me, especially because of the limited lives part. Also I don't know if I will find another 5 hour stretch where I can play without interruption. A quick save feature (which is deleted when you load) would be helpful.

Also gotta search for the hammers, I only found the one in the last world.

i think the later levels are actually easier but that might also be because you're better at the game at that point. You're over the hump...until you get to the alternate Valkyrie level path.

Yeah seems that way. Took me ages to get past level 2, but just finished 3, 4 and 5 without too much difficulty.

Not sure the alternate path will ever happen...we'll see.

ArjanN

I got it and said I will just beat world 1. 6 hours later I beat the whole game. Yeah I suck so I died a lot, but I literally couldn't stop playing. So addicting.

I've never played Rastan but this to me is a hybrid between (classic) Castlevania and Ghouls 'n Ghosts.

I will try for ending B now. From what I read you can start from World 5 so it shouldn't be that time consuming. Ending A sounds impossible for me, especially because of the limited lives part. Also I don't know if I will find another 5 hour stretch where I can play without interruption. A quick save feature (which is deleted when you load) would be helpful.

Also gotta search for the hammers, I only found the one in the last world.

The first time I beat the alternative level path it only took me about an hour total.

The Valkyrie path really isn't that much harder. It's really just memorizing a new set of levels once the normal path has taught you all the controls. You find some extra lives in the levels and If you know the location of Thor's Hammer in each area, you get another free hit that way.

Gbraga

I'm good enough at the first level to beat it quickly and unlock the alternate path for the second chapter every time I boot the game, but I still didn't beat the second stage, I remember reading somewhere that the game does save between each stage, am I missing something?

Trying the buy this game on Steam with the coupon they gave me for 25% off, but it's not working. I've had to contact Steam support. I would have liked to have played it this lunch, but oh well.

I'm good enough at the first level to beat it quickly and unlock the alternate path for the second chapter every time I boot the game, but I still didn't beat the second stage, I remember reading somewhere that the game does save between each stage, am I missing something?

As soon as you start, walk left and then jump up and left again at the crystal. You will be at the start of the second stage.

You can't resume at the midpoint though.

Haunted

You can access the regular version of the second stage by going left twice at the beginning of the game, if that's what you're asking.

There's no way to get to the valkyrie path via lvl select that I'm aware of.

conman

Seem to be the go-to references for people who never played Rastan in the arcades. But, man, for those of us who remember, this really does feel like a direct call-back--but without seeming like blind nostalgia. And enough modern tweaks and mechanical twists to make it feel fresh.

Like the best so-called "retro" 2D games of late, this traces out an alternate history of gaming where the arcades never died and 3D gaming never existed.

Kacho

I fired this bad boy up yesterday evening and had a great time. This is without a doubt one of the most quality and well designed indie games I have ever played. I often feel like indie platformers don't get the level design quite right. Like it's missing a certain something. The level design in Volgaar, however, is so finely crafted. You can tell a lot of thought and care went in to the creation of the levels.

I'm also a big fan of the brutal difficulty. It's tough but fair. When you die, you know exactly why and 9 times out of 10 its simply user error. I never feel frustrated because I got cheated. You definitely need to keep your wits about you, though. :)

My hats off to the developers. I look forward to whatever else they cook up.

Gbraga

As soon as you start, walk left and then jump up and left again at the crystal. You will be at the start of the second stage.

You can't resume at the midpoint though.

You can access the regular version of the second stage by going left twice at the beginning of the game, if that's what you're asking.

There's no way to get to the valkyrie path via lvl select that I'm aware of.

Wow, that's awesome! Thanks.

Kalnos

Banned
While it's awesome to see a Volgarr video getting 1 million+ views it's just because it's Pewdiepie. He's actually the most subbed person on Youtube, Zio, but I find him extremely obnoxious.

Good exposure nonetheless though!

Top Bottom