• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WaPo: Ivanka takes her father’s seat at world leaders’ table during a G-20 meeting

Window

It's a power play. Imagine how the Merkel, Putin and Jingping feel when they sit in a session Trump has deemed not worth his full attention. If you've ever worked in a corporation, it's like being in a corporate offsite where a colleague at your level sends someone from their team, because they have better things to do. You'll feel like an idiot, and perceive the other manager is actually at a higher rank than you.
Is it?

The article states that other leaders also stepped out at various times but their stand ins were government staff. This is a more noticeable incident because the stand in here was directly related to the head of state.

For some reason, people continue to ascribe some underlying clever strategic intent besides the most apparent one to everything Trump does.

Tovarisc

Nikki Haley responds to Ivanka Trump's G-20 appearance

"Face the Nation" moderator John Dickerson asked U.N. Ambassador Nikki Haley about the first daughter's unusual role in the administration as this is not her first time sitting in on a high profile international discussion.

"She's got her certain issues that she focuses on and when those things come up then that's where she is," the ambassador said.

Haley told Dickerson that Ivanka Trump has been "very well accepted nationally and internationally" and has focused on issues important to her like women entrepreneurship, poverty and famine.

"She sees herself as part of a public servant family and she doesn't want to waste this time by not putting forward some effort to try and help the world." Haley said.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/nikki-haley-responds-to-ivanka-trumps-g-20-appearance/

I remember studying political science in college and seeing all these third world countries that made their dictatorship so blatant by doing things like installing the dictator's son as Vice President. Or having them run the country without being elected to do so. It was really funny, because how did anyone accept that?

I simply reasoned that the threat of violence was enough that people had to accept it.

Now I realize people are just super willing to accept it if they're told they should want to accept it.

Yeoman

In many ways I actually think Trump's kids are worse than him.
When it comes down to it at least Trump is an idiot. But his kids seem so sneaky and conniving.

Ivanka wants to be first Woman President

LXClciu.jpg

Trump wants this to be a political family

Tovarisc

In many ways I actually think Trump's kids are worse than him.
When it comes down to it at least Trump is an idiot. But his kids seem so sneaky and conniving.

I wouldn't put it past Ivanka that she is putting up with her dad creeping on her just so she keeps her place as most favorite child and most likely candidate to get hold of all of Trump Organization when daddy kicks the bucket.

It's a power play. Imagine how the Merkel, Putin and Jingping feel when they sit in a session Trump has deemed not worth his full attention. If you've ever worked in a corporation, it's like being in a corporate offsite where a colleague at your level sends someone from their team, because they have better things to do. You'll feel like an idiot, and perceive the other manager is actually at a higher rank than you.

But Trump is not leading a corporation but one of the most important countries in the world. Dude should act accordingly..

JABEE

Oh my God they are grooming Ivanka to run for office after Donald aren't they?

Oh my God she's going to win, isn't she?

America seems to love Aristocracy and Dynasties more than anything else really. Presidents assigning their spouses and family members to perform duties that are supposed to be up to vote. Once out of office they can point to their experience. Trump is following the playbook.

Fuck political dynasties and unelected leeches.

I wonder if Ivanka will inherit the crown or follow the process of running for an abandoned NY Senate seat first.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Man, the font size on that paper is huge. Wonder if everyone gets those or if that's specifically for Trump

Edit:eek:h looks like that's his speech. For something like that a big font size probably makes sense.

People said Bush Jr. couldn't read unless it was written in huge font and double spaced, no more than two pages. Seems the same with Trump.

JABEE

I remember studying political science in college and seeing all these third world countries that made their dictatorship so blatant by doing things like installing the dictator's son as Vice President. Or having them run the country without being elected to do so. It was really funny, because how did anyone accept that?

I simply reasoned that the threat of violence was enough that people had to accept it.

Now I realize people are just super willing to accept it if they're told they should want to accept it.

The US has been doing this forever though. Robert Kennedy, Hillary Clinton, nepotism and putting family members in exalted, unelected positions to further their family's political influence is a practice as old as our democracy.

Some actively try to combat it, while others use it to launch their significant other's political careers.

Dai101

Banned
Man, the font size on that paper is huge. Wonder if everyone gets those or if that's specifically for Trump

Edit:eek:h looks like that's his speech. For something like that a big font size probably makes sense.

LMAO

That's the font size of a lazily and hastely made junior high report!

trebbble

Poli-GAF, Ivanka's current job was pretty much given to her by her father, It's high paying and she would have never gotten in without him. What I don't understand is how can someone get mad at trying to get their family ahead. If I ran a business, I would do everything in my power to get my friends and family in position for success, not to mention trust factor. Other than any major incompetence, it seems like the way to go.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
She is ready for 2024 .... and there will be nothing that we can do about it. No one is going to beat her. She will have so much experience when things are said and done. He won

Condom

Poli-GAF, Ivanka's current job was pretty much given to her by her father, It's high paying and she would have never gotten in without him. What I don't understand is how can someone get mad at trying to get their family ahead. If I ran a business, I would do everything in my power to get my friends and family in position for success, not to mention trust factor. Other than any major incompetence, it seems like the way to go.
?

This is about the government position? Putting your family there just because they are family is an insult to public administration. As if every idiot can be a good government official.

andymcc

Banned

Is this an alt for the guy pondering nepotism in the other thread or...

Top Bottom