• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WaPo: Kushner wanted secret communications channel with Kremlin

Eusis

Holy shit.

Even Kislyak was like, "are these fuckers serious?"
I'm starting to wonder if this is becoming a case of making rumors reality. Like... wow, that's a good idea, we SHOULD collaborate with Russia! When it'd be easier on them to just not initiate shit and leave it to paranoid fear mongering rather than barely veiled reality.

iammeiam

How stupid is Kushner? The mere proposal is something team Trump should have gone to lengths to involve as few people as possible.

So, yeah, I guess send Flynn if you already know he's a liability so you can just lump it in with other shit of his if it ever comes out.

You don't send Ivanka's frigging husband. He is there literally only because of a personal connection to the president. There's no way to write this thing off as anything other than Trump intentionally trying to hide shit.

platakul

Banned
Besides being incredibly dumb I don't get why these guys couldn't wait until Jan 29 and then have normal ass meetings

entremet

How stupid is Kushner? The mere proposal is something team Trump should have gone to lengths to involve as few people as possible.

So, yeah, I guess send Flynn if you already know he's a liability so you can just lump it in with other shit of his if it ever comes out.

You don't send Ivanka's frigging husband. He is there literally only because of a personal connection to the president. There's no way to write this thing off as anything other than Trump intentionally trying to hide shit.
Pride comes before the fall....

Hubris will get you eventually.

Nekofrog

Banned
Ndhdhdjgohogudjfkfuldysjfzuskydxkgcyocouccoucoyxfyositdoyxiycuodiyvoycoyxiycoycuofidoydiydoydoydiydiydiycohbijjp uh ustqtwdhcjvkhobonomojiufystagkvjyja we rufigitxkhchlcjgxigcojoxhoditsitsutd

GOOD JOB REPUBLICANS

Zolo

Yeah I remember hearing it too but I don't think it was specific to Kushner but maybe I'm wrong.

This is what I was recalling:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...908a08-1648-11e7-ada0-1489b735b3a3_story.html

The United Arab Emirates arranged a secret meeting in January between Blackwater founder Erik Prince and a Russian close to President Vladi­mir Putin as part of an apparent effort to establish a back-channel line of communication between Moscow and President-elect Donald Trump, according to U.S., European and Arab officials.

deadlast

If someone was trying to setup a direct connection to the kremlin, why would you put him in charge of everything in the government..... wait a minute.

Kislyak probably freaked out because Kushner made that request and the whole conversation may have been monitored by US intelligence and as it turns out yes it was.

zethren

Banned
Hey all you stupid, gullible, goddamn idiots! Do you see what you put in the White House? Are you paying attention?

No, of course you aren't. Everyone in this administration can go fuck themselves.

royalan

Besides being incredibly dumb I don't get why these guys couldn't wait until Jan 29 and then have normal ass meetings

Meetings tend to be documented and heavily scrutinized.

I mean, just look at all the attention Trump inviting the Russian ambassador to the WH generated two weeks ago (even before we learned that he blabbed crucial ally intelligence).

You don't want the communications to be public knowledge if you know you're up to no good.

Maybe the idea is that, while Flynn takes a dive for all sorts of other things, this will still run clandestinely.

I know these things take time, but do we have any sort of timeline on when action might be taken as a part of these investigations? The constant drip makes it feel like we're just normalizing corruption, regardless of what might happen in 2018.

hitme

Found their communication channel...

KE8NWhI.gif

Arttemis

Unless he was trying to harm American citizens or protect ISIS fighters it's not treason.

Collaborating and colluding with an adversarial state to manipulate and destroy the electoral process, as well as influence foreign affairs in their favor, and then strip away health care from dozens of millions of Americans sounds like an attempt to harm American citizens to me.

Realistically, this is absolutely a clear cut case of sedition.

iammeiam

Holy shit, WaPo first learned about this in December but couldn't get corroboration until now:
The Post was first alerted in mid-December to the meeting by an anonymous letter, which said, among other things, that Kushner had talked to Kislyak about setting up the communications channel. This week, officials who reviewed the letter and spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive intelligence said the portion about the secret channel was consistent with their understanding of events.

For instance, according to those officials and the letter, Kushner conveyed to the Russians that he was aware that it would be politically sensitive to meet publicly, but it was necessary for the Trump team to be able to continue their communication with Russian government officials.

The second paragraph seems to indicate this set up the later meeting with Prince.

Ketch

Guys. secret back channel comms with Russia is totally normal. Haven't any of you ever seen "The Sum of all Fears"?

Realyst

Also worth noting that it broke a few months ago that Betsy DeVos's brother, who was the founder of Blackwater, was also trying to start a secret channel to the Kremlin, though I'm not sure what became of that since I don't recall much follow up. That very well could be related, he may have been doing this on behalf of, or in conjuncture, with Kushner. No way that's a coincidence
Yep, this is referenced in the piece.

Bleepey

At some point you have to wonder whether Russian agents were suspicious that the Trump team wasn't setting them up.

Of course, those fears are obviously unfounded.

It's like when the hot girl invites you around for sex in the opening message on tinder. It's probably a trap but what about the small chance it ain't.

Top Bottom