• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WaPo: Trump admin wants to return Russian compounds Obama shuttered b/c of elex hack

chadskin

The Trump administration is moving toward handing back to Russia two diplomatic compounds, near New York City and on Maryland’s Eastern Shore, from which its officials were ejected in late December as punishment for Moscow’s interference in the 2016 presidential election.

Then-President Barack Obama said Dec. 29 that the compounds were being “used by Russian personnel for intelligence-related purposes,” and gave Russia 24 hours to vacate them. Separately, Obama expelled from the United States what he said were 35 Russian “intelligence operatives.”

Early last month, the Trump administration told the Russians it would consider turning the properties back over to them if Moscow would lift its freeze, imposed in 2014 in retaliation for U.S. sanctions related to Ukraine, on construction of a new U.S. consulate on a certain parcel of land in St. Petersburg.

Two days later, the U.S. position changed. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson told Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak at a meeting in Washington, that the United States had dropped any linkage between the compounds and the consulate, according to several people with knowledge of the exchanges.
Before making a final decision on allowing the Russians to reoccupy the compounds, the administration is examining possible restrictions on Russian activities there, including removing the diplomatic immunity the properties previously enjoyed. Without immunity, the facilities would be treated as any other buildings in the United States and would not be barred to entry by U.S. law enforcement, according to people who spoke on the condition anonymity to discuss sensitive diplomatic matters.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...4778d2-4616-11e7-98cd-af64b4fe2dfc_story.html

Christ, Obama shitting on this orange tumor during that White House Correspondents bit may have been the worst thing to happen to our planet. Trump's very existence is to simply smear shit on a black man's legacy as revenge.

Pyrokai

Christ, Obama shitting on this orange tumor during that White House Correspondents bit may have been the worst thing to happen to our planet. Trump's very existence is to simply smear shit on a black man's legacy as revenge.

Don't blame Obama for some man child who can't handle criticism.

Madness

Her emails, so corrupt. Fake news by the fake news media. Crooked Hillary needs to be locked up.

The Chinese are watching this intently. All they need to do is pay off US politicians or have some kind of damning evidence on them and they can get anything going their way. For god and country now means jackshit to these people.

Hopfrog

Steve-Carell-Facepalm.gif

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
He literally tweeted to the Russians to ignore the President of the United States back when this happened.

Shoeless

There's some kind of movie waiting to be made here, where a time traveler meets up with Obama just after getting elected, and tells him that everything he's done will be undone by Trump, so Obama selflessly chooses to become the worst, most racist, dictatorial, isolationist, gun loving, abortion forbidding, Muslim persecuting president in American history, knowing full well it will force Trump to become the best President in order to do the opposite of everything he's done.

RPGCrazied

Just another reason that he is Putin's bitch and is compromised. He must be stopped right now. Enough is ENOUGH.

Gutek

both

they really have showed quite blatantly that they dont give a fuck, and it's been going on for months. It's horrendous.

I mean, why should they give a fuck. So far, the only consequence has been Flynn. Pretty good deal for outright collusion with a foreign power.

The real scary part is Trump thinks Putin is his friend when he's just being used like everyone else.
The pee tape etc. will come out eventually.

royalan

Whatever kompromat Russia has on Trump it must be a doozy, because that's the only thing that explains why Trump keeps poking the hornets nest like this.

Trump is a lot of things. Racist? Yes. Sexist? Yes. Stupid beyond belief? Yes. But if there is one thing I thought I had figured out about Trump, it's that he cares about preserving himself first and foremost.

So I just don't understand why he keeps flirting with Russia at a time when suspicions are at an all-time high, a special prosecutor has been appointed, and several of his associates are practically known to be guilty of colluding with the Putin regime. Every day we find out some new revelation, some new financial tie, some new lie Trump and his cronies get caught in. All having to do with Russia.

Anybody with sense would back off Russia, AT LEAST for a little bit. That Trump just keeps chugging along...stupidity alone doesn't account for it. Whatever Putin has over Trump, it's big.

Lautaro

I understand that Trump's contacts with russians are way older than that. Also he wanted to be president before and all the birther nonsense was a tool for that. His humiliation was an effect not a cause in my opinion.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Lol all the usual IC twitter fanatics losing their shit extra hard over this, since they are obsessed with spy shit.

Crocodile

Even if Trump didn't collude, why would you do this? Russia deserves punishment for fucking with our elections (a fact). Does that mean we should go to nuclear war with them? Obviously not but thankfully there are a lot of other ways to tell them how fucked up the shit they pulled was. He refuses to do ANY of them. The Trump team ALWAYS does the thing that makes them look the most guilty.

RDreamer

Whatever kompromat Russia has on Trump it must be a doozy, because that's the only thing that explains why Trump keeps poking the hornets nest like this.

Trump is a lot of things. Racist? Yes. Sexist? Yes. Stupid beyond belief? Yes. But if there is one thing I thought I had figured out about Trump, it's that he cares about preserving himself first and foremost.

I don't know where you got that from. His number one priority is being right. Preserving himself has never been anywhere near the top of the list. Why else would he push on fighting with a gold star family? He doesn't fucking care about preserving anything. He cares about not admitting he was wrong about literally anything. Whether there actually is kompromat or not, that's not needed to explain Trump's behavior. He's pro-Russia and as long as he thinks that's the best thing to be, he'll keep fucking doing it no matter how it looks or the optics.

So I just don't understand why he keeps flirting with Russia at a time when suspicions are at an all-time high, a special prosecutor has been appointed, and several of his associates are practically known to be guilty of colluding with the Putin regime. Every day we find out some new revelation, some new financial tie, some new lie Trump and his cronies get caught in. All having to do with Russia.

Anybody with sense would back off Russia, AT LEAST for a little bit. That Trump just keeps chugging along...stupidity alone doesn't account for it. Whatever Putin has over Trump, it's big.
trump-putin-tape-snl-1484491613.gif

Somnid

He has got to be trolling at this point. I can't find any other reasons you would do this in this climate, it does not benefit him at all.

Paz

Shit like this is the reason I can't enjoy House of Cards anymore, their portrayal of the American public as a group that gives a fuck about optics and scandal is just not realistic now.

Derwind

I feel like its ego at this point taking over and Trump thinking he can finese himself out of treason in the end.

royalan

I don't know where you got that from. His number one priority is being right. Preserving himself has never been anywhere near the top of the list. Why else would he push on fighting with a gold star family? He doesn't fucking care about preserving anything. He cares about not admitting he was wrong about literally anything. Whether there actually is kompromat or not, that's not needed to explain Trump's behavior. He's pro-Russia and as long as he thinks that's the best thing to be, he'll keep fucking doing it no matter how it looks or the optics.

When I say preserving himself, I'm thinking more of pre-2016 Trump. The Trump that would screw over countless small businesses and use bankruptcy as a get out of jail free card.

And I disagree with thinking he did all the stupid shit he did during the campaign because he didn't care about preserving himself. I think he did it because he figured he wouldn't be punished and his base would glorify him for it. And you know what? He was absolutely right about that.

When I say preserving himself, I'm thinking more of pre-2016 Trump. The Trump that would screw over countless small businesses and use bankruptcy as a get out of jail free card.

And I disagree with thinking he did all the stupid shit he did during the campaign because he didn't care about preserving himself. I think he did it because he figured he wouldn't be punished and his base would glorify him for it. And you know what? He was absolutely right about that.

Well he also probably has some neurogenerative disease comparing his mental state seems to have declined precipitously in the previous decade.

Even so, you don't go bankrupt the way Trump did in self preservation mode

There's some kind of movie waiting to be made here, where a time traveler meets up with Obama just after getting elected, and tells him that everything he's done will be undone by Trump, so Obama selflessly chooses to become the worst, most racist, dictatorial, isolationist, gun loving, abortion forbidding, Muslim persecuting president in American history, knowing full well it will force Trump to become the best President in order to do the opposite of everything he's done.

Future time trave philosophy questions won't be about killing baby Hitler but pleading Obama not to kill on that correspondents dinner

You know, for a guy who is under TREMENDOUS scrutiny for Russian collusion, he sure is going out of his way to... show collusion with Russians.

How stupid can he be? How does this help him?

Top Bottom