• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WaPo: Kushner wanted secret communications channel with Kremlin

Tovarisc

I hope no one is still holding onto the illusion that McMacster isn't just another Trump toadie.

I want to think there is something bigger at background for him to go along with this clowncar, he is too principled and has too long respected career to fall this quickly.

Jobbs

Banned
I want to think there is something bigger at background for him to go along with this clowncar, he is too principled and has too long respected career to fall this quickly.

No one with a tenth of a conscience would be lying and obfuscating to protect Trump and he's been doing that for a while now. Sorry to disillusion you, but he's just another piece of shit.

I don't buy into McMaster being a stooge. He is active duty and has to be whatever Trump wants him to be. A dishonorable discharge would be literal suicide to him. Career military then that. No I believe he is stuck and it is absolutely horrible.

commedieu

Banned
I don't buy into McMaster being a stooge. He is active duty and has to be whatever Trump wants him to be. A dishonorable discharge would be literal suicide to him. Career military then that. No I believe he is stuck and it is absolutely horrible.

Then out government is a joke. If everyone falls in line for trump, they will do so with the next heinous person and so on. This "just doing their jobs." Shit gets old when the victim is the American public and the rest of the world.

Surfinn

I don't think anyone is saying they think he BELIEVES his words/actions, but he's a stooge nonetheless, willing or not. He may just be running through the motions, but it's all the same.

Which is a shame.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
You know that feeling when you go on vacation and something goes wrong at work- that magnified sense of sweaty helplessness to fix it?

Kushner knows that feeling at exquisite amplitude.

Kushner's sack has probably shriveled into a smirking pastiche of that prep school excuse for a smile he wears near constantly.

GrapeApes

McMacster can retire if he wants. He's choosing to be active duty and serve this President. Let's dispell this notion that McMacster doesn't have any outs.

Tovarisc

McMacster can retire if he wants. He's choosing to be active duty and serve this President. Let's dispell this notion that McMacster doesn't have any outs.

Then question is why he chooses to stay in this clowncar and tarnish his career and reputation?

No one with a tenth of a conscience would be lying and obfuscating to protect Trump and he's been doing that for a while now. Sorry to disillusion you, but he's just another piece of shit.

I would rather he be a public stooge that prevents a nuclear fuck holocaust behind the scenes than another Michael Flynn.

Projection. OTHER military leaders need to speak out when appropriate.

McMaster has a long and storied history of speaking out and being a pain in the ass.

Obscura

You know that feeling when you go on vacation and something goes wrong at work- that magnified sense of sweaty helplessness to fix it?

Kushner's sack has probably shriveled into a smirking pastiche of that prep school excuse for a smile he wears near constantly.

Best sentence I'll likely read all weekend.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

If it's really like that - and it seems like the only real explanation - McMaster is the tragic figure of this whole story. Talk about being in between a rock and a hard place. Still, being a mouthpiece for evil... I'd take whatever exit was possible.

following the money trail,

Kushner family owes lots of money for a building they own on 5th Avenue,

snooping the money trail to the lenders leads to... Russia

Tovarisc

Security related.

tve6azI.png

https://twitter.com/nedprice/status/868495030456991744

GrapeApes

Then question is why he chooses to stay in this clowncar and tarnish his career and reputation?
I'm​ guessing he thinks he's doing the right thing for the country. The problem is everyone who stays in this administration with this view seem to end up being stooges. The boogeyman of their replacement makes them stay.

theWB27

If it's really like that - and it seems like the only real explanation - McMaster is the tragic figure of this whole story. Talk about being in between a rock and a hard place. Still, being a mouthpiece for evil... I'd take whatever exit was possible.

I could be wrong, but i don't think you get to keep a lot of benefits if discharged.

Gutek

Bullshit. This administration has nothing to fear and they know it.

Gutek

Yeah it's been going great for them so far. No distractions whatsoever preventing them from legislating.

This administration's goal is not to legislate, but to funnel money into their pockets. I'm pretty sure that part is going well for them.

KHarvey16

Who's talking about Flynn? Trump corp is making bank right now. They don't give a fuck.

He was in the administration?

Ultimately if all these people accomplish is making money for some limited period of time I think we made out pretty good. I don't actually think that's going to happen when this is all over with but if that's your definition of success in this case, your bar is very low.

Stinkles

Who's talking about Flynn? Trump corp is making bank right now. They don't give a fuck.

This administration is collapsing in slow motion. Sorry it's not happening fast enough for you. Probably stupid apathetic Americans.

Gutek

This administration is collapsing in slow motion. Sorry it's not happening fast enough for you. Probably stupid apathetic Americans.

The question is, how much damage will they do on the way. We can't afford this to happen in slow motion.

Stinkles

The question is, how much damage will they do on the way. We can't afford this to happen in slow motion.

If it is rushed, cases collapse. Figures slip through the net. It has to happen slowly. They can't just bundle suspects into a van and slam the door.

Gutek

The fuck? No, they need to do it right, not rush it.

We need additional pressure coming from the people. Daily protests, calling your representatives daily, donations to the ACLU, etc. - we need to make our voices heard and not rely on the IC to solve this.

By the time they are done, we might be in a war with North Korea or Iran. 20+ million more Americans might be off health insurance. We might withdraw from the Paris accord by then. We might have alienated even more previously allied partners, particularly in intelligence.

We cannot afford any of these things. He needs to be out of office ASAP. He's a ticking time bomb.

KHarvey16

We need additional pressure coming from the people. Daily protests, calling your representatives daily, donations to the ACLU, etc. - we need to make our voices heard and not rely on the IC to solve this.

By the time they are done, we might be in a war with North Korea or Iran. 20+ million more Americans might be off health insurance. We might withdraw from the Paris accord by then. We might have alienated even more previously allied partners, particularly in intelligence.

We cannot afford any of these things. He needs to be out of office ASAP. He's a ticking time bomb.

I thought your fear was them making money? These investigations are getting in the way of those other things. The administration is impotent, legislatively.

And you think the best way to create that necessary pressure is to constantly say that nothing will come of any of this? You want people to make their voices heard but you constantly try to shut down any discussion of Trump/Russia by saying that it's meaningless.

It might be a good time to take a step back and re-evaluate.

Gutek

And you think the best way to create that necessary pressure is to constantly say that nothing will come of any of this? You want people to make their voices heard but you constantly try to shut down any discussion of Trump/Russia by saying that it's meaningless.

It might be a good time to take a step back and re-evaluate.

Yes. Do not rely on the IC or the GOP to get us out of this mess.

cameron

A source tells AP it was for Syria.

AP reports Kushner back channel with Russia involved Syria
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump’s son-in-law and now top White House adviser Jared Kushner proposed a secret back channel between the Kremlin and the Trump transition team during a December meeting with a leading Russian diplomat, The Associated Press has learned.

Kushner spoke with Ambassador Sergey Kislyak about creating that line of communication to facilitate sensitive discussions aimed at exploring the incoming administration’s options with Russia as it developing its Syria policy, according to a person familiar with the discussions.

The intent was to connect Trump’s chief national security adviser at the time, Michael Flynn, with Russian military leaders, said this person, who wasn’t authorized to publicly discuss private policy deliberations and spoke on condition of anonymity.

Russia, a pivotal player in Syria, has backed Syrian President Bashar Assad, often at the expense of civilians during a long civil war.

The Trump team eventually felt there was no need for a back channel once Rex Tillerson was confirmed as secretary of state, and decided to communicate with Moscow through more official channels, according to the person familiar with the developments.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Particularly with the AP and New York Times reports, it feels like a White House counter-narrative to either make this a non-story and/or pin it on Flynn, yet it still comes off incredibly poorly. Oh, so Kushner was only enabling Flynn's improper communications? Cool, cool.

jmood88

Particularly with the AP and New York Times reports, it feels like a White House counter-narrative to either make this a non-story and/or pin it on Flynn, yet it still comes off incredibly poorly. Oh, so Kushner was only enabling Flynn's improper communications? Cool, cool.
And it makes no sense for them to use Russian equipment that can't be monitored by American intelligence agencies if their goal was just to talk about Syria.

Top Bottom