• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WaPo: Trump admin wants to return Russian compounds Obama shuttered b/c of elex hack

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Is there no one on his staff telling him what a bad idea stuff like this is? Trump is a dumbfuck but he seems to at least care about saving face and his reputation. These sorts of actions do nothing to help his stature and I'm surprised even someone as dense as he is doesn't see that.

ezgif-3-b6e0ce5486.gif

Buckle

Can't wait for him to go ahead and try to lift the sanctions.

Go ahead, you oblivious piece of shit. Just keep falling further into that hole you're digging.

Buckle

You gotta admire the stupidity of a man that thought firing Comey would take the pressure off of him and Russia and then just keeps doing shit like this even after the firestorm it created.

He might be the most dense and or senile human being that ever walked the earth.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Get rid of him already for the good of humanity. Even a clandestine regime change is worth it if it gets him out sooner.

Chaotic Good has never been more justifiable

antonz

Chad Pergram who works for Fox News is reporting that Nunes is running interference for the administration again. Apparently Nunes has sent out Subpoenas on the "unmasking scandal" without approval of the rest of the intel committee.

Tovarisc

You know, for a guy who is under TREMENDOUS scrutiny for Russian collusion, he sure is going out of his way to... show collusion with Russians.

How stupid can he be? How does this help him?

Favor Bank of Putin doesn't hand out particularly flexible repayment plans.

Zolo

Chad Pergram who works for Fox News is reporting that Nunes is running interference for the administration again. Apparently Nunes has sent out Subpoenas on the "unmasking scandal" without approval of the rest of the intel committee.

Is approval needed?

theWB27

He's trying to save his ass too.

Whatever kompromat Russia has on Trump it must be a doozy, because that's the only thing that explains why Trump keeps poking the hornets nest like this.

Trump is a lot of things. Racist? Yes. Sexist? Yes. Stupid beyond belief? Yes. But if there is one thing I thought I had figured out about Trump, it's that he cares about preserving himself first and foremost.

So I just don't understand why he keeps flirting with Russia at a time when suspicions are at an all-time high, a special prosecutor has been appointed, and several of his associates are practically known to be guilty of colluding with the Putin regime. Every day we find out some new revelation, some new financial tie, some new lie Trump and his cronies get caught in. All having to do with Russia.

Anybody with sense would back off Russia, AT LEAST for a little bit. That Trump just keeps chugging along...stupidity alone doesn't account for it. Whatever Putin has over Trump, it's big.

My guess is that the Kompromat includes Child Prostitutes. That's the only thing I can think of that Trump would be afraid of seeing leak to the press.

antonz

Is approval needed?

While the chair is within the rules allowed to act on his own general tradition is they do not. Which is why you see the Senate committee etc. always striving to make sure both repub and Democrats are signing off on the subpoenas otherwise it clearly presents an image of partisanship.

Nunes has apparently issued the subpoena outside the parameters of the Russia investigation and without even speaking to other members

The Kree

Banned
Can't wait for him to go ahead and try to lift the sanctions.

Go ahead, you oblivious piece of shit. Just keep falling further into that hole you're digging.

LOL People keep saying this like he's going to be punished or something.

FStubbs

My guess is that the Kompromat includes Child Prostitutes. That's the only thing I can think of that Trump would be afraid of seeing leak to the press.

I don't even think that would hurt him.

Plus I don't think that's what the Russians have on him. What I think they have on Trump is just good old fashioned money. They own his debt.

Zolo

Not that I didn't figure it before, but Russia definitely has stuff on Trump.

While the chair is within the rules allowed to act on his own general tradition is they do not. Which is why you see the Senate committee etc. always striving to make sure both repub and Democrats are signing off on the subpoenas otherwise it clearly presents an image of partisanship.

Nunes has apparently issued the subpoena outside the parameters of the Russia investigation and without even speaking to other members
Thanks. Interested in what harm this could potentially cause if the unmasking was done legally anyway? Or is Nunes trying to figure out everyone who's been unmasked & info about it for Trump?

The thing is, it's blatantly obvious at this point what kind of Manchurian Candidate Trump is. The GOP just refuses to do anything about it.
Of course, they don't know when or if they'll ever have this much power again. Not too mention fucking over the poor, minorities and women. Oh and all the money!

antonz

Not that I didn't figure it before, but Russia definitely has stuff on Trump.

Thanks. Interested in what harm this could potentially cause if the unmasking was done legally anyway? Or is Nunes trying to figure out everyone who's been unmasked & info about it for Trump?

Its more about creating a narrative for Fox news and Talk radio to run. Any unmasking done would have been done within the parameters of the law. They keep clinging to the idea that US Citizens are protected and while true that protection is lifted if you are caught up in illegal shit.

So at this point its not even about the justifications or why they were unmasked they are just trying to say unmasking US citizens is illegal. So Nunes and camp want the names of the people who approved the unmasking so they can run around screaming for their heads

FStubbs

Of course, they don't know when or if they'll ever have this much power again. Not too mention fucking over the poor, minorities and women. Oh and all the money!

Well, the current objective seems to be to rush in as much stuff as they can so they won't ever lose power again.

Josh7289

Christ, Obama shitting on this orange tumor during that White House Correspondents bit may have been the worst thing to happen to our planet. Trump's very existence is to simply smear shit on a black man's legacy as revenge.

Ultimately it's the people's fault for voting for Trump.

If true, that these compounds were reposessed by our government from Russian ambassadors, wouldn't this have been evidence enough to stop the election itself or at least lead to an impeachment?

nomster

Trump knows the fake news operation has his supporters so confused that they think the Russian election activity is still at issue (not just the collusion)

I don't even think that would hurt him.

Plus I don't think that's what the Russians have on him. What I think they have on Trump is just good old fashioned money. They own his debt.

Bullshit. Trump being involved with child prostitutes would ABSOLUTELY hurt him.

Xe4

Banned
Jesus. Fuck the orange Manchurian candidate. Anyone who supports him cares more about Russia than the US.

The comms out of Russia followed (or coincident with) the immediate sit up and beg from trump is fantastical.

You can't make this shit up to make trump look more compromised even if you tried.

Russia didn't even need to posture about it in the press - they could have had a quiet word over a fucking "back channel".

Lo-Volt

Man, this creep right here has no chill. The world is seriously asking whether or not you're colluding with, or compromised by, the Russians, and that's usually a really good time to lay low for a bit and not do more questionable things. And that's when you decide to do this?

Pedrito

That's the best part:

Early last month, the Trump administration told the Russians it would consider turning the properties back over to them if Moscow would lift its freeze, imposed in 2014 in retaliation for U.S. sanctions related to Ukraine, on construction of a new U.S. consulate on a certain parcel of land in St. Petersburg.

Two days later, the U.S. position changed. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson told Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak at a meeting in Washington, that the United States had dropped any linkage between the compounds and the consulate, according to several people with knowledge of the exchanges.

Hey friends, you can have your compounds back. No need to give us anything in return afterall.

Our saving grace in all this will be just how stupid this man truly appears to be. He just can't help himself, and will keep on digging himself deeper until he finds himself in a situation not even he can dig himself out of. The only question will be just how much damage he'll end up doing before he actually reaches that point.
Bullshit. Trump being involved with child prostitutes would ABSOLUTELY hurt him.
Yeah, it would definitely hurt him. Absolutely no way it wouldn't, with how much damage just the existing controversies have done. But I wonder just how much Evangelicals in particular would really care. Fortunately, we don't need them nor should we be worrying about them, but given how much other nonsense that particular demographic is willing to put up with, I wonder just how many of them would be willing to hang on even then. Would be nice to have some cold, hard data on that, when it's pushed to its limit. And to be clear, I know it would Trump even among them. But it would be interesting to see how many of them truly only care about a candidate trying to get rid of abortion/telling the poor to get fucked/etc and are willing to look past everything else for those ends.

Yeah, it would definitely hurt him. Absolutely no way it wouldn't, with how much damage just the existing controversies have done. But I wonder just how much Evangelicals in particular would really care. Fortunately, we don't need them nor should we be worrying about them, but given how much other nonsense that particular demographic is willing to put up with, I wonder just how many of them would be willing to hang on even then. Would be nice to have some cold, hard data on that, when it's pushed to its limit. And to be clear, I know it would Trump even among them. But it would be interesting to see how many of them truly only care about a candidate trying to get rid of abortion/telling the poor to get fucked/etc and are willing to look past everything else for those ends.

It doesn't matter if his fanbase would try to justify it. Did you miss the Milo stuff? If Trump was caught with Child Prostitutes, the GOP would impeach him faster than you could possibly imagine.

IrishNinja

Whatever kompromat Russia has on Trump it must be a doozy, because that's the only thing that explains why Trump keeps poking the hornets nest like this.

Trump is a lot of things. Racist? Yes. Sexist? Yes. Stupid beyond belief? Yes. But if there is one thing I thought I had figured out about Trump, it's that he cares about preserving himself first and foremost.

So I just don't understand why he keeps flirting with Russia at a time when suspicions are at an all-time high, a special prosecutor has been appointed, and several of his associates are practically known to be guilty of colluding with the Putin regime. Every day we find out some new revelation, some new financial tie, some new lie Trump and his cronies get caught in. All having to do with Russia.

Anybody with sense would back off Russia, AT LEAST for a little bit. That Trump just keeps chugging along...stupidity alone doesn't account for it. Whatever Putin has over Trump, it's big.

i thought this too, but now i'm just thinking (as you said in a later post) it's stupidity + ego resulting from living consequence free for so long as to literally not know any better. he gets to lie on the daily, undermine all of those around him, and life isn't as great as he wanted but nothing happens against him.

so why not go against the advice of those around him (especially lawyers) and keep doing whatever he wants? it's what got him here.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit

I came to the same conclusion. Don't know if we'll ever find out for sure, but if we do, I'd bet money that this is it.

Pedrito

My theory is that Russia has nudes and Donald is really ashamed of his small peepee. Wasn't there a story that he's pretty much a never-nude, i.e. he gets undressed under the sheets before...you know.

(sorry for talking about that...)

It doesn't matter if his fanbase would try to justify it. Did you miss the Milo stuff? If Trump was caught with Child Prostitutes, the GOP would impeach him faster than you could possibly imagine.
...That's literally what I said and I in no way contest that point? I was just speaking purely from a statistical point of view. What is his floor? How many people would stick around even then? Obviously, not enough to in any way matter. Again, I do not contest that point. But having a scandal on that level would give some good data on just how much the letter next to a person's name is the only thing that matters to them. Again, one last time, not enough to matter. But it would be fascinating to have some cold, hard data on that to demonstrate just what the state of political divisiveness in the United States truly is when pushed to its limits, which is all I meant.

And to make sure this itself is not in anyway misconstrued, I of course nonetheless hope the tape doesn't actually exist at all because having that data wouldn't be worth the price in the least (of those type of crimes having actually been committed).

Christ, Obama shitting on this orange tumor during that White House Correspondents bit may have been the worst thing to happen to our planet. Trump's very existence is to simply smear shit on a black man's legacy as revenge.
Russia was probably grooming Trump for years and he wasn't getting any younger. He probably would have run anyway.

Interesting that they're thinking of removing diplomatic immunity from the places. Almost like they're trying to soften the blow

MCCain: "I am deeply disturbed at these allegations."

Gowdy: "The real question here is how this news got leaked to the press."

Spicer: "Only the President and a select few really understood what he was doing."

Trump: "FAKE NEWS, Epstein had nothing to do with this, Democrats are just mad that they lost the covfefe!"

Graham: "This is absolutely sickening, and I'm going to show my disapproval by refusing to vote against him."

Monsters all, complicit in his crimes. There would be no heroes, and no justice levied by the GOP.

So desperate to remain in power that they would throw their lot in with autocrats and oligarchs that have been our enemy since after WW2. They have become our enemy.

Could also just be Trump waving his dick around like an idiot.

Every time I read an article like this or a tweet about all of this, I tell myself "do not scroll down and read the responses." I guess I am a masochist because I constantly scroll down. Half this nation is a loss. All this bad shit is coming up and just like the DNC staffer murder last week, the right is distracting with some bullshit from Wikileaks. Apparently whatever Obama or Hillary may or may not have done, even without any actual evidence (and sometimes with evidence to the contrary), it is a bespoke fact. However, all of this stuff with Trump is just the lefts attempt to delegitimize the greatest American hero to walk God's green earth.

MCCain: "I am deeply disturbed at these allegations."

Gowdy: "The real question here is how this news got leaked to the press."

Spicer: "Only the President and a select few really understood what he was doing."

Trump: "FAKE NEWS, Epstein had nothing to do with this, Democrats are just mad that they lost the covfefe!"

Graham: "This is absolutely sickening, and I'm going to show my disapproval by refusing to vote against him."

Monsters all, complicit in his crimes. There would be no heroes, and no justice levied by the GOP.

So desperate to remain in power that they would throw their lot in with autocrats and oligarchs that have been our enemy since after WW2. They have become our enemy.

Again, we aren't talking about usual GOP stuff like racism. Look at how quickly everyone told Milo to fuck off the moment it came out that he defended pedophilia.

If Trump were caught with Child Prostitutes, he'd be fucking done for.

...That's literally what I said and I in no way contest that point? I was just speaking purely from a statistical point of view. What is his floor? How many people would stick around even then? Obviously, not enough to in any way matter. Again, I do not contest that point. But having a scandal on that level would give some good data on just how much the letter next to a person's name is the only thing that matters to them. Again, one last time, not enough to matter. But it would be fascinating to have some cold, hard data on that to demonstrate just what the state of political divisiveness in the United States truly is when pushed to its limits, which is all I meant.

And to make sure this itself is not in anyway misconstrued, I of course nonetheless hope the tape doesn't actually exist at all because having that data wouldn't be worth the price in the least (of those type of crimes having actually been committed).

It's not even a "letter next to the name" thing though. Trump's hardcore fanbase is a TRUMP hardcore fanbase, not a Pence hardcore fanbase, not a Paul Ryan hardcore fanbase, not even a GOP hardcore fanbase. They are specifically a TRUMP hardcore fanbase.

antonz

Every time I read an article like this or a tweet about all of this, I tell myself "do not scroll down and read the responses." I guess I am a masochist because I constantly scroll down. Half this nation is a loss. All this bad shit is coming up and just like the DNC staffer murder last week, the right is distracting with some bullshit from Wikileaks. Apparently whatever Obama or Hillary may or may not have done, even without any actual evidence (and sometimes with evidence to the contrary), it is a bespoke fact. However, all of this stuff with Trump is just the lefts attempt to delegitimize the greatest American hero to walk God's green earth.
On a bit of positive. Its likely half the responses are bots. The downside is people are stupid enough to fall for the bots and let them influence them.

Top Bottom