• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs original graphical effects (E3 2012/13) found in game files [PC]

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I've explained the statement more clearly here:

Explain to me how I'm wrong, using your extensive experience with developing video games.
Well you're assuming that these effects can't be pulled off on consoles. Completely untrue. AC4 has the realistic lighting effect on individual drops of rain on the ps4 version. Based on impressions here from people trying to play the game some of the effects, like extremely heavy DoF make the overall gameplay worse. Not to mention that some aspects of these were never shown in the game in the first place, like realtime headlight reflections or JJ Abrams lens flare on headlights. Point is, we literally don't have any idea why some of these things didn't make it into the game despite being possible in the engine itself. So the whole console parity thing is based purely on speculation.

Marmac

Banned
How do you lock the fps?

Waiting for it to turn to night/rain before I can see the full effect, but I'm on high locked at 30fps and it looks great. Not noticing the stutter anymore either.

EDIT: I'm at night and boy do those headlights pop.

Zabant

Really wish I had known about this before my time with the game was done. As it stands I have no interest in playing more watch_dogs but knowing I could have had a better experience chaps my ass.

Surely it's simply down to scalability, they need to provide a "PC" version that runs on all manner of configurations.
They make cutbacks to allow more people to play the game?

It must be performance related, yes.

Anyway, can't wait to download this mod when I get home.

shandy706

DoF is rough in some of those shots (I'm not a big fan of DoF while playing), but it looks nice otherwise.

I questioned the time of day and how much the downgrade was in the graphics comparison until this happened in the video...looks like low vs high...where high doesn't actually exist.

pscmyp.gif

Does that effect (the fog) exist at all in the entryway on any setting?

The direction that some of the conversation is going about how this is some kind of conspiracy against the pc makes no sense to me. Ubisoft wants to sell more copies, they wouldn't do this with malicious intent.

R_Deckard

I've explained the statement more clearly here:

Explain to me how I'm wrong, using your extensive experience with developing video games.

As I have again here

Well when they are the lead platform then the amount you can add to the engine is limited when it has to scale.

So things like game Physics or AI will be identical, but easy wins like Textures,Rez, LoD and any post Processing affect you can add.

Remember this game still runs on those same ps360, so the amount they had to manage on such a grand scale with extra additional features for the PC and Next Gen version became limited and buggy, the game clearly is a mish-mash of other engines to make the concept work and I would not be surprised if the Original 2012 Reveal was just a sales pitch created first and then the entire game was built up from that (open world etc) then the need for PS360 was added from the management AFTER the showing!

No need to get all Defensive, there is no Conspiracy here!

kiguel182

There's no conspiracy here. Incomplete features just got cut out for lack of time, or polish. It happens in software development.

The performance problems might come from the way Ubisoft AAA games are produced, with tons of people messing with it. That coupled with time constrains probably left some thing pass on QA. Making AAA games is not the same as a modder that can mess with files all he wants without answering to anyone.

The DOF effect looks amazing on photos. Really neat.

fade_

The direction that some of the conversation is going about how this is some kind of conspiracy against the pc makes no sense to me. Ubisoft wants to sell more copies, they wouldn't do this with malicious intent.

More like a conspiracy against competence.

DoF is rough in some of those shots (I'm not a big fan of DoF while playing), but it looks nice otherwise.

I questioned the time of day and how much the downgrade was in the graphics comparison until this happened in the video...looks like low vs high...where high doesn't actually exist.

pscmyp.gif

There's still likely a lot of things that were put in JUST for the E3 demos and removed from the final game. Unless modders find a way to add back in those hand-placed fog emitters, I don't think we'll ever get the game looking exactly as it did in the first demo.

Dec

How do you lock the fps?

Depends on what graphics card you have. If ATI use Radeonpro, make a profile for the game and go into the "Tweaks" tab. Set the drop down menu to Always On and check the box for "Dynamic Framerate Control" put 30 in the box.

drexplora

its crazy how hard they were pushing for the 1080p standard last gen. Specially Sony with the PS3 and it's weaker GPU. Neither consoles were ready for that and it set up the precedent that its 1080p or nuttin...

In some ways the new gen consoles aren't ready to handle 1080p along with stepping up the visuals and gameplay to "newgen" levels. PC gamers haven't had to upgrade when transitioning to the 'new gen', and it shows just how much visuals are toned down to match ballpark console levels.

It sucks cause it is an artificial barrier imposed on us...
I feel it is holding back gaming as a whole! A booming PC gaming market can only mean good things for the consoles, yet they don't embrace the capabilities of the PC in a lame attempt to add a cheap coat of fresh paint on an old, same ol box..

Sometimes we wonder why these nex gens just aren't wowing us the way they used to?!
Well part of the reason are developers like Ubisoft and their "business ideals" holding back the potential for what 'GAMES' (at the end of the day regardless of the platform were all doing the same damn thing) could be.
Which would ultimately have a positive effect on all gaming markets...
Trickle down economics.

pscmyp.gif

Awesome smoke effect there, reminds me of the arkham asylum phsyx smoke in areas of the intensive treatment building.

Anony

pretty sure this means microsoft and sony paid ubisoft to have watch dogs look not that much better than the pc version vs the console version

Here are a few videos with the new settings..

http://a.pomf.se/amkeaz.webm

http://a.pomf.se/jbwyci.webm

Everything at Ultra (including textures) on a GTX 690 (sli disabled so basically a 680 2GB card, that's right....2gb with ULTRA textures) 1920x1080 res with TXAA 2 capped at 30fps using NVCP...

Now it does dip below 30 using Ultra textures but I can say for sure right now that if they manage to fix SLI on this game the 690 would handle this game with 30+ fps using Ultra textures for sure using these tweaks.

What this MOD/patch proves is that this game does NOT need 2gb+ VRAM for ultra textures and I hope UBI are rectifying that with an official patch.

The stuttering is gone for me, especially when using high textures, its non existent now (with SLI disabled)

Looks incredible, as it should have been. I'm dying to hear an official explanation.

Oppo

There's no conspiracy here. Incomplete features just got cut out for lack of time, or polish. It happens in software development.

The performance problems might come from the way Ubisoft AAA games are produced, with tons of people messing with it. That coupled with time constrains probably left some thing pass on QA. Making AAA games is not the same as a modder that can mess with files all he wants without answering to anyone.

The DOF effect looks amazing on photos. Really neat.

I think you are right.

I mean it's not inconceivable that they actually left those untested/potentially problematic effects dormant in there for us to find, no? They can go on releasing a few patches that might turn some of that stuff on, and the PC people get to test it for them.

SMH, why PC people getting angry at consoles for? It's not Sony's or Ubisoft's fault that even high end graphic carts come only with 3GB GDDR5 when even $400 PS4 comes with 8GB GDDR5. If PC gamers were willing to pay for more GDDR5 then maybe Ubisoft wouldn't have to remove effects.

Retarded too much.

AzuHuZZ.jpg

There's another comparison from the demo where actual light bulbs were just replaced with flat textures..... ugh.

So yeah. E3 demo this is not. But it's an improvement.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Sorry, but it still doesn't look anywhere near the E3 demo.
You are legitimately having false memories of the e3 demo at this point because it didn't have realtime headlight reflections whatsoever.

Well you're assuming that these effects can't be pulled off on consoles. Completely untrue. AC4 has the realistic lighting effect on individual drops of rain on the ps4 version. Based on impressions here from people trying to play the game some of the effects, like extremely heavy DoF make the overall gameplay worse. Not to mention that some aspects of these were never shown in the game in the first place, like realtime headlight reflections or JJ Abrams lens flare on headlights. Point is, we literally don't have any idea why some of these things didn't make it into the game despite being possible in the engine itself. So the whole console parity thing is based purely on speculation.

As I have again here

No need to get all Defensive, there is no Conspiracy here!

Both of you are arguing against something I'm not even saying. Console parity isn't what I'm claiming as the reason for these omitted effects and shaders, I'm saying that the advanced effects were created before knowing if the consoles could handle them. When they found that they were piling too much on for the PS4 and the Xbone, they ceased development on these effects rather than tweak and debug them further since only the PC version would ultimately benefit. The fact that another game uses one of the effects already actually strengthens that claim, because it suggests that Watch_Dogs is doing more overall which made it necessary to remove things considered to be trivial in order to achieve an acceptable level of performance.

That's not a claim of conspiracy, it's honest speculation based on the realities of software development and market priorities. Everything in development comes with a cost, they decided that the cost was too high for the benefit gained.

R_Deckard

its crazy how hard they were pushing for the 1080p standard last gen. Specially Sony with the PS3 and it's weaker GPU. Neither consoles were ready for that and it set up the precedent that its 1080p or nuttin...

In some ways the new gen consoles aren't ready to handle 1080p along with stepping up the visuals and gameplay to "newgen" levels. PC gamers haven't had to upgrade when transitioning to the 'new gen', and it shows just how much visuals are toned down to match ballpark console levels.

It sucks cause it is an artificial barrier imposed on us...
I feel it is holding back gaming as a whole! A booming PC gaming market can only mean good things for the consoles, yet they don't embrace the capabilities of the PC in a lame attempt to add a cheap coat of fresh paint on an old, same ol box..

Sometimes we wonder why these nex gens just aren't wowing us the way they used to?!
Well part of the reason are developers like Ubisoft and their "business ideals" holding back the potential for what 'GAMES' (at the end of the day regardless of the platform were all doing the same damn thing) could be.
Which would ultimately have a positive effect on all gaming markets...
Trickle down economics.

Wow if this is true then enforcing parity for the PC version is a pretty low act.

Perhaps Ubisoft were waiting until the console versions had run their course before 'releasing' an Enhanced Edition / Director's Cut patch for PC ... sort of like what GoG does since they put their gamers first.

This is unacceptable bullshit, regardless. No version of the game should gimp another version--either between consoles themselves or between consoles and the pc.

I bet you Nvidia is pissed about this.

Short video taken running around a bit with the mod installed. Including a horribly botched attempt at stopping a crime. Looks great but yeah that DOF needs to be scaled back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhvdFKQk9CA&feature=youtu.be

Youtube may still be processing somewhat and higher resolutions might not show up yet. Original video is 1440p.
EDIT:All resolution showing up fine now. Watch in 1440p for that individual raindrop goodness.

Top Bottom