• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs original graphical effects (E3 2012/13) found in game files [PC]

Jibbed

So, we made it onto the front page of Reddit (still #2), Ubisoft's forums, /v/, Gamefaqs, Escapist, Polycount, Steam, and lots of smaller blogging sites in the space of 4 hours.

Good work.

-SD-

Banned
Hahahaha holy shit... Fuckin Ubisoft
his_lies_ubisoft0ns0z.jpg

SparkTR

So, we made it onto the front page of Reddit (still #2), Ubisoft's forums, /v/, Gamefaqs, Escapist, Polycount, Steam, and lots of smaller blogging sites in the space of 4 hours.

Good work.

The viewcount of this thread also surpassed the Destiny Alpha thread and is almost matching the Steam thread in a matter of hours.

drexplora

Yeah it definitely looks better with the increased rain, illumination from headlights, bloom etc. Does anyone know if there's any console commands (for that matter how to enable console?) to change the weather and time of day? I'd love to play this exclusively at night/evening with rain. Game looks so damn gorgeous when both of these are going on at once.

I'm kinda hoping to see a mod scene emerge for this like GTA IV. Obviously once V hits PC icenhancer will be all over it, but I do have to say I have really enjoyed the layout and world design of Chicago in WD, especially exploring the industry/factory areas with all the overgrowth. Kinda evokes similar feelings that some of the environments from TLoU had.

this guy on guru3d was talkin about something like that, check it out.
http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4842854&postcount=1097

Regardless of the reason WHY the final game looks nothing like the e3 version
It's still false advertising

When are you guys going to stop buying ubisoft games:\.

I'm guessing never because of all the hype about the trailers of their other games at e3 showing people learned nothing

Jibbed

When are you guys going to stop buying ubisoft games:\

Apart from AC3, they've had a fairly decent run in the last few years. That paired with the insane W_D footage we had at the past few E3's was more than enough to push a LOT of people into a pre-order. I've no idea if the exact figures are around though.

Chariot

Funny how Gamespot reports this as news with the following title:

Watch Dogs Mod Adds Dynamic Shadows From Headlights, Bloom, and Other Improvements

Well then.
haha, yeah the article too.
Guru3D forum member TheWorse is working on a mod that adds that visual effect to Watch Dogs, along with a lot of other features. The mod, which you can find on Guru3D, also aims to add an improved bloom effect, higher density of civilians, and more.
No word that the mod not really adds stuff, but activate it.

D

Deleted member 98878

Unconfirmed Member
Well, now I'll consider buying WD.

If there just wasn't Uplay...

Faith

Well, look at this:

I'd like to say that credit for this mod should be going to a user called Kadzait24. TheWorse apparently stole his mod and is taking all the credit for it. If you want some gameplay footage of the mod, you can find it on his channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/TribalCulture/videos

In Kadzait's words: Yes i will do several versions. And when you see my mod, you will see why the user "TheWorse" took my effort and called it his mod. TheWorse is an Argentinian User from the forum 3DG Argentina, that registered twice in Guru3D [tr*lling] and faking my thread, making it close . At the second thread he did the same under the new alias "TheWorse" ( he was Mast3rkill ) and called his friends from the 3DG argentina forum to register and congrats him in his thread, as well [tr*lling] mine. Thats the story. There you have it. Now wait until i come back to Guru3D and release the actual mod.
What an asshole.

Jibbed

Could you please update the first post and give credit to the right person? :)

I don't think you understand what I've just posted.

I read into it earlier, and the two guys produced their own spins on the mod independantly. TheWorse's is more feature-complete and operates differently to K's. He didn't steal anything.

scitek

When are you guys going to stop buying ubisoft games?

I'm guessing never because of all the hype about the trailers of their other games at e3 showing people learned nothing

I bought it from a GAFfer that had one of those nvidia codes for $35. I like the game, personally, I just think it's funny all this stuff was still buried in the game and even labeled "E3" etc. I'm excited by the few texture mods I've already seen, and the fact Maldo is apparently looking at it. :p

Faith

I don't think you understand what I've just posted.

I read into it earlier, and the two guys produced their own spins on the mod independantly. TheWorse's is more feature-complete and operates differently to K's. He didn't steal anything.
Ah sorry for the misunderstanding.

dr_rus

Honestly I don't think there any conspiracy here.

If you look at games like Assassin's Creed 3 and Splinter Cell: Blacklist, they scale vastly above the console versions on PC.

What I feel is more likely here is they abandoned these features long ago and then just assumed they either wouldn't work well and/or look good with the current version without actually testing it out, since they were presumably death marching to get the game out by the end.

They likely overestimated the new console h/w back in 2012 and when the final specs/devkits were available they downgraded to PS4/XBO levels. PC being just a passenger of the whole console development process got what PS4 got + some usual PC/NVIDIA stuff like AA, display resolutions, etc.

Keeping the same graphical level that was planned in 2012 meant that they'd have to build and test the game basically for PC only and then do the same for consoles which is economically pointless. Or at least that's what they think.

Nzyme32

Well, look at this:

What an asshole.

Some where early in the thread, someone posted that appraently that guy was actually trolling about having his work stolen, when TheWorse created a more feature complete mod and was thus banned for it. Not sure if it was just trolling or legitimate though.

Jibbed

I'm sure it's not as black and white as it seems with who should actually be credited for this, but TheWorse's thread on Guru3D is filled with bitter comments from Kazdait. I think TW just got on top of the whole thing quicker than K and he's butthurt.

Either way, who cares. This is about the PC version of the game and Ubisoft.

drexplora

They likely overestimated the new console h/w back in 2012 and when the final specs/devkits were available they downgraded to PS4/XBO levels. PC being just a passenger of the whole console development process got what PS4 got + some usual PC/NVIDIA stuff like AA, display resolutions, etc.

Keeping the same graphical level that was planned in 2012 meant that they'd have to build and test the game basically for PC only and then do the same for consoles which is economically pointless. Or at least that's what they think.

flawed ideals :/
on ubis part :p

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

It's not false advertising if the gameplay is exactly the same besides minor differences.

scitek

Kadzait should get some credit for first unpacking the files, I suppose, but the real hero is the guy that made the program that unpacks the files. TheWorse deserves credit for taking a LOT of time to figure out how everything works and sharing with the community.

Claiming ownership of anything is pretty silly tbh when everything is owned by UbiSoft anyway.

Damian.

Banned
Is possible that Ubisoft scaled down the PC version for the console version looks less bad?

That is the only scenario that makes any sense whatsoever, so probably. That or Ubisoft simply punishes those who purchase the PC versions of their games for their own sick satisfaction.

The whole article suggests the mod is something he's created which adds to the game, when in fact it's a tiny 57kb file that merely activates dormant effects.

Oh. Well yeah. I guess if you wanna be really specific :p Still, I'm ever grateful for the efforts of modders. I couldn't do this shit :)

Also, from the comments of that article:
"This has already been done with a Shader MOD called SweetFX."
Unbelievable that people think SweetFX can achieve everything this mod is doing. SweetFx doesn't do shit.

Could you please update the first post and give credit to the right person? :)
Kadzait24 is probably the most annoying person I've ever seen on Guru3D. I popped into his thread when he first released his mod and all I saw were screenshots that only differed by the time of day they were taking. I wasn't impressed. And if anyone called him out on the mod not actually doing anything, he broke down like a little crybaby and called them a troll. His original thread was deleted for being a complete knobsack. And instead of collaborating with TheWorse, all he did was bitch "about not getting credit for his work."

I'm perfectly happy with TheWorse being in the spotlight here. It wasn't until he created his thread that I actually saw improvements in the game. He's been calm and civil from day 1. Seems like a pretty humble guy.

D

Deleted member 98878

Unconfirmed Member
Is possible that Ubisoft scaled down the PC version for the console version looks less bad?

Possibly. Like dr_rus said, Ubisoft could have overestimated the "next-gen" hardware.

Nags

Banned

So, we should stop supporting one of the only large publishers still coming out with a diverse line up of games?

Think I'll pass on that notion :)

RedStep

And risk the PR nightmare that is about to engulf them? I doubt it.

That seems like a very, very exaggerated way to write "some people on message boards will complain". Ubisoft Public Relations will most likely have zero work to do here. I'm pegging this as QA - if they decided to revise the general design, that stuff was cut across the board. No point in finishing, testing, and supporting it for just one platform.

Jibbed

Oh. Well yeah. I guess if you wanna be really specific :p Still, I'm ever grateful for the efforts of modders. I couldn't do this shit :)

Also, from the comments of that article:

Unbelievable that people think SweetFX can achieve everything this mod is doing. SweetFx doesn't do shit.

Kadzait24 is probably the most annoying person I've ever seen on Guru3D. I popped into his thread when he first released his mod and all I saw were screenshots that only differed by the time of day they were taking. I wasn't impressed. And if anyone called him out on the mod not actually doing anything, he broke down like a little crybaby and called them a troll. His original thread was deleted for being a complete knobsack. And instead of collaborating with TheWorse, all he did was bitch "about not getting credit for his work."

I'm perfectly happy with TheWorse being in the spotlight here. It wasn't until he created his thread that I actually saw improvements in the game. He's been calm and civil from day 1. Seems like a pretty humble guy.

I've updated the OP to clarify the 'credit' situation, cheers for the input.

Hope you don't mind me paraphrasing a tad haha.

Lulubop

Wow, the stuttering really is gone with Ultra Textures enabled. Looks noticeably better, but there is a performance hit.

Jibbed

"Fix" reflections? There is nothing wrong with them. It would take an extreme amount of extra resources to fully render a relfection in real time. It's just not possible. This is an open world game.

Are you serious? Lol. Take a look in ANY window in the game.

They all seem to use the same very low-res textures.

Bullshit.

This guy made the disrupt unpacker that Kadzait uses

https://twitter.com/gibbed

Kadzait is a bigmouth.

Might have missed it at the end of the last page there, but I've clarified the whole Kadzait situation in the OP.

Jibbed

It's not really a "mod" when you take original game .ini strings and simply change the values from "0" to "1".

Now, if he adds some of his own tweaks to the game, then you could argue it's an actual mod.

Titles should read "Guy flips switch, hidden Watch_Dogs E3 graphics enabled".

Top Bottom