• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs original graphical effects (E3 2012/13) found in game files [PC]

MaLDo

I've updated the OP to clarify the 'credit' situation, cheers for the input.

Hope you don't mind me paraphrasing a tad haha.

Kadzait24 did nothing. He only increased numeric values (shadow resolution and reflections resolutions) and changes contrast/gamma values. He knows nothing about TheWorse work.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Can't wait for all the news stories pretending they found it on their own and crediting Guru3D as the source.

Edit: yay Kotaku

It's great to see that the files are there at least - it makes the PC version more interesting for me - but wow, quite the parity scandal.

RyudBoy

Ubisoft are pieces of excrement.

Holy hell that gif of PC Watchdogs from 2012 still looks crazy today. I want.

Brb, buying $2K PC

Does it still add over the top DoF? I tried using this yesterday and it made a lot of the missions in game useless because I couldn't see more than a foot in front of me.

Wow. Great journalism in that gamespot article there. "A user posted that this other guy created the mod so we're going to credit him instead."

I gotta dig up Kad's old thread where Guru3D members constantly wrecked him over his mod not actually doing jack shit. He was much better at creating forum drama than actually modding the game. It wasn't until TheWorse popped up that people started to really see improvements in Watch Dogs. That's why his mod is in the spotlight. And rightfully so.

Armaros

Does it still add over the top DoF? I tried using this yesterday and it made a lot of the missions in game useless because I couldn't see more than a foot in front of me.

You can turn it off, and the mod creator is updating it so the DoF isn't so strong.

It was only set that high because the modder just turned every option on and on max for the initial release.

Are you serious? Lol. Take a look in ANY window in the game.

They all seem to use the same very low-res textures.

That's because they are cubemap reflections. Deferred engines aren't so great handling reflections or alpha/transparency. You'd have to have Screen Space Reflections (SSR) everywhere, which would be incredibly resource intensive.

omonimo

Banned
I'm really sad to read so many 'passionate' fan blame console development for this without to be rational It's not how work those things, it has explained tons of times.. Sadly Ubisoft should blame just himself. Never show a trailer how showcase so early. Hope they learned the lesson this time

I just installed it. The DOF is crazy (albeit really nice looking), but the rain, lighting and shadows are markedly better. I don't know much about game development but it just seems insane they didn't at least offer the effects as an option.

I'm really sad to read so many 'passionate' fan blame console development for this without to be rational It's not how work those things, it has explained tons of times.. Sadly Ubisoft should blame just himself. Never show a trailer how showcase so early. Hope they learned the lesson this time

Ubisoft is well known for their bullshit reveals. I'm surprised people still fall for them.

Anyway spent a solid amount of time with this mod yet? How buggy is it? I'll probably pass on it for now if all kinds of immersion-breaking stuff is going on.

SparkTR

Anyway spent a solid amount of time with this mod yet? How buggy is it? I'll probably pass on it for now if all kinds of immersion-breaking stuff is going on.

The main issue is apparently the headlight effects being glitchy, but that's being fixed for the next version. Also turn of DoF is what I hear.

Faith

Just try it out. 56kb small, just 2 files to copy. You can always delete the 2 files and it's back to normal.

Tain

Very lame that these weren't an official option in the final release.

When I stop enjoying them.

It's pretty funny that many will straight-up overlook the actual enjoyment a person may be getting out of a game when gauging how pro-consumer or anti-consumer it is.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Has anyone looked into the console versions to see if the files exist there too? obviously consoles can't enable them if they are but it'll be interesting if they are.

I'm guessing we'll never get an answer out of Ubisoft as to why these options weren't available in the vanilla game? Well I guess they kind of are lol. Man this is ridiculous

Wow. Great journalism in that gamespot article there. "A user posted that this other guy created the mod so we're going to credit him instead."

I gotta dig up Kad's old thread where Guru3D members constantly wrecked him over his mod not actually doing jack shit. He was much better at creating forum drama than actually modding the game. It wasn't until TheWorse popped up that people started to really see improvements in Watch Dogs. That's why his mod is in the spotlight. And rightfully so.

lol I think he only wanted praise, he didn't even know how to mod. As soon as someone criticized it he called them trolls.

That's the opposite of what a modder should be.

Pavaloo

What was the explanation? A lot of users are saying they're not noticing any performance issues. In fact, there are reports of improved performance on PCs, so....

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781
I didn't know lens fare and blurring everything beyond 30ft counts as better graphics.

RK9039

Has anyone looked into the console versions to see if the files exist there too? obviously consoles can't enable them if they are but it'll be interesting if they are.

Yup, I tried. I opened up my PS4 but I couldn't find any files inside.

rashbeep

Banned
Pretty poor comparison, all we see is the DoF.

IMO the most important changes are lighting-based, like the dynamic shadows, lens flaring, yada yada.

In my short stint playing the mod, I noticed ToD and fog changes as well. Not the biggest changes but they go a long way in making the game look better overall.

Jibbed

I didn't know lens fare and blurring everything beyond 30ft counts as better graphics.

Everyone posting shit like this, including yourself, is completely missing the other 95% of improvements this mod brings.

The DoF can be toggled off too, at the moment it's just unrefined.

In my short stint playing the mod, I noticed ToD and fog changes as well. Not the biggest changes but they go a long way in making the game look better overall.

Yep, those too. Lots of small dynamic details which add up to a big difference. I'm starting to worry now all people are going to see (or not because of it lol) is the daft 'DoF to the max' effect.

Top Bottom