• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (July 2011)

jvm

Gamasutra.
Help Me! said:
I find all the Tachyon Press anthologies well worth the money (Feeling Very Strange, Secret History of Fantasy, and The New Weird). Is this the one with Lethem's "The Hardened Criminals"? That is an amazing short story.

EDIT: It is.
Yep, it's a good story. Not my favorite out of these, but a good story nonetheless.

Sleepy

I just caught that Kessel was a former professor (what I would give to sit in on a class)...Very cool; nice to see that he is using Small Bear Press, as they are definitely up-and-comers in the field. BTW: You do good work in the Sales-Age threads.

I will have to check out the Wolfe story now. :)

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Like many others here I've jumped into the Game of Thrones series, currently on Storm of Swords and loving every page :)

Red_Man

Cpt.Underpants said:
The God Delusion - Richard Dawkins

How do you like it? I've always found Dawkins interesting and want to start reading some of his work, and I'm not sure where to start.

Jenga

Banned
Red_Man said:
How do you like it? I've always found Dawkins interesting and want to start reading some of his work, and I'm not sure where to start.
selfish gene

you can stop there too

kunu

A%2BFeast%2Bfor%2BCrows%2B1.jpg

About 100 pages in. I hear it's not the greatest, so I have low expectations going in. So far, it's not bad.

But the past three books have been incredible. I hope I can finish this one before ADWD comes out, but looks like it's leaked?

It's not the greatest, but damn does AFFC grab you in a way the previous three books did not, as far as the perspective and poetic prose go.

Fjordson

AFFC was amazing.

And ADWD has sort of leaked I guess. Not necessarily on the interwebs, but people have received copies early from Amazon (in Germany I believe) and a few other places.

Fritz

amerikanische-dynastien-id5812215.jpg

Super shallow, but I love this dynastic stuff, especially how they always crash and burn in the 3rd generation or so.

lcd604

Neo Member

My first Agatha Christie novel, which came highly recommended. I've been itching for a well crafted mystery lately and hopefully this will scratch that itch.

Anybody read any Agatha Christie ? Opinions ?

With all the ADWD leaks and whatnot, I'm surprised nobody has blown through it yet. Sure hope it doesn't suck for all you who have waited forever and a day...

Red_Man

Jenga said:
selfish gene

you can stop there too

Will check it out. Love how in ASoFaI its complete none traditional fantasy, every time a new event occurs I'm just so surprised.

lcd604 said:
[URL]http://i.min.us/jbD102.jpg[/URL]

My first Agatha Christie novel, which came highly recommended. I've been itching for a well crafted mystery lately and hopefully this will scratch that itch.

Anybody read any Agatha Christie ? Opinions ?
I liked her books when I was in high school. I really should read more of her works. You should try one of her more famous works if you haven't already, "And Then There Were None."

snacknuts

we all knew her
I haven't read a lot of historical non-fiction, but I am planning to change that. This has been really interesting so far.

2s8k8xh.jpg

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
zesty said:
I haven't read a lot of historical non-fiction, but I am planning to change that. This has been really interesting so far.

2s8k8xh.jpg

You should check out the book I'm reading. One of the best books I've read in a while. Almost done with The Devil in the White City and it's just fantastic. It weaves the fairly creepy story of a famous serial killer into the history of the 1893 World Fair in Chicago- which in itself is pretty amazing story. Not a very short book at just under 400 pages and there's a lot of information but it's written so well and keeps your attention by alternating almost every chapter between the World Fair and serial killer stories that it's a fast read.

After that I'm gonna finish the book on buddhism that I put down for TDITWC, and then read Robert Reich's Aftershock.

Az987

all good things
Currently reading Cagney by Cagney on my brand new Kindle.

It's the autobiography of James Cagney. It's pretty good. The best part was how he was driving down the road and saw Humphrey Bogart pull up in a Porsche and start picking his nose.

He wrote this little poem and sent it to him

In this silly town of ours,
One sees odd primps and poses;
But movie stars in fancy cars,
Shouldn't pick their famous noses.

He didn't get a reply

adam.chance

Neo Member
Finishing:

Haruki Murakami - "Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World"

Frank Herbert - "Dune"

Next:

George Martin - "A Dance with Dragons"

Haruki Murakami - haven't decided what to start next

Something from early in Sci-fi's history. Not sure what I should go with here. I haven't read any of the "classic" sci-fi stories.

mike23

Finished this last night. Not as good as the first two in my opinion, but still very good.
UMd8y.jpg

Are there any good urban fantasy books with a successfully villainous main character? Something like the Irredeemable comic maybe, but urban fantasy with magic and myth.

Mac_Lane

Addams.jpg

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, in French, obviously :p

I had been wanting to finally get to read the Millenium trilogy, to see if all the hype around it was deserved. So far, so good.

i finished The Big Sleep last week so i just picked up this

awrfnl.jpg

i'd never read any Raymond Chandler before but i really like it, The Big Sleep was incredible and i don't doubt this will be amazing too. Philip Marlowe is pretty much the best guy

Mac_Lane

Damn, I hadn't even noticed the resemblance!

The French cover is pretty awful actually. But never judge a book by its cover, like they say.

JeTmAn81

Emonga said:
Why did they put Wednesday Addams on the cover?

Christina Ricci could sue for that.

Exactly what I was going to say. Except for the lawsuit part. It's obvious that in the French version, Lisbeth Salander has been replaced by Wednesday Addams. Hilarity ensues.

In other news, hot diggity! A Dance With Dragons is hitting in less than a week. I'm definitely going to be scouring the nets to get it early, cause I just can't wait. Yes, I'll still buy it anyway (I did this with Deathly Hallows).

ymmv

Banned
adam.chance said:
Next:

Something from early in Sci-fi's history. Not sure what I should go with here. I haven't read any of the "classic" sci-fi stories.

Here are a few titles from the forties, fifties and sixties to get you started ...

Isaac Asimov - I Robot
Jack Vance - To Live Forever
L. Sprague de Camp - Lest Darkness Fall
Arthur C Clarke - The City and the Stars
Theodore Sturgeon - More than Human
Alfred Bester - The Stars My Destination
Robert Heinlein - The Door into Summer
Walter M Miller - A Canticle for Leibowitz
Ray Bradbury - Fahrenheit 451
Frank Herbert - Dune
Roger Zelazy - Lord of Light
Philip K Dick - The Man in the High Castle
Samuel Delaney - Babel 17
Ursula K LeGun - The Left Hand of Darkness

There's really not that much good stuff from even earlier. Then you get titles like Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, Jules Verne, HG Wells, H Rider Haggard's She, Mark Twain's Connecticutt Yankee in King Arthur's Court and Aldous Huxley's Brave New World. SF as we know it started in 1939 when John W Campbell edited Astounding Magazine and discovered writers like Asimov, Heinlein and Van Vogt.

Number45

51QO2wKhF4L._SL500_AA266_PIkin3,BottomRight,-17,34_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Just started reading this. I really enjoyed the first (The Strain), but I'm so lax on keeping up with book releases I've only just realised there's a second book!

Recently finished A Game Of Thrones and A Clash of Kings, and I'm a bit burned out by characters I dislike intensely taking too long to die.

I also requested to join the GAF group on Goodreads. :)

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
adam.chance said:

I asked the same thing of the readers on my blog (A Dribble of Ink) and got some wonderful responses. It's worth checking out (if I may humbly suggest).

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Gvaz said:
1. The draw of this series is not the magic
2. magic in this series is more subtle, and isn't really around much at all. What's important is that never is magic an "I win" button. Magic is more like....power with consequences.
3. There's no wizards per se, nor do they wear funny hats. One character says something like
"I wanted to be a wizard when I grew up" and they both just laugh.
4. Most importantly, the draw of this series is the humanization of characters and the interactions of characters within the world and to each other. It feels about as "down to earth" as a fantasy novel can get.

Gvaz, I asked about this in the OT before I became so invested in the first book. I'm only about 35% in, and I haven't really found anything to roll my eyes at. I'd prefer there be no mention of magic at all, but there has been no deal-breaker so far.

I'm told that after the 3rd book it can get pretty fanciful?

There can only be ONE

Sleepy

Why can't I stop reading R. A. Salvatore's Dark Elf trilogy? It's crap! The writing I would put up with in H.S....

@adam.chance: The Stars My Destination is quite good. Proto-cyberpunk, if you are into that stuff.

Karl2177

While I was in DC, I was able to get ahold of The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene. It's so far a very good read(3 chapters in).

UltimaKilo said:
Gvaz, I asked about this in the OT before I became so invested in the first book. I'm only about 35% in, and I haven't really found anything to roll my eyes at. I'd prefer there be no mention of magic at all, but there has been no deal-breaker so far.

I'm told that after the 3rd book it can get pretty fanciful?

There can only be ONE
The word you're looking for is fantastical, and hardly, but the thing you have to realize going in is that magic has ALWAYS been in the world and thus if you go in thinking "there's gonna be no magic!", you will be disappointed.

snacknuts

we all knew her
demon said:
You should check out the book I'm reading. One of the best books I've read in a while. Almost done with The Devil in the White City and it's just fantastic. It weaves the fairly creepy story of a famous serial killer into the history of the 1893 World Fair in Chicago- which in itself is pretty amazing story. Not a very short book at just under 400 pages and there's a lot of information but it's written so well and keeps your attention by alternating almost every chapter between the World Fair and serial killer stories that it's a fast read.

After that I'm gonna finish the book on buddhism that I put down for TDITWC, and then read Robert Reich's Aftershock.

Thanks for the suggestion. I just added it to my to-read list.

Top Bottom