• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's really for breakfast?

DonShula

This post is inspired by a video posted by the Washington Post to Facebook on Monday. It shows (allegedly) common breakfast items and their nutritional content from several countries.

Of course the U.S. breakfast is shown last, and it's... a little odd: a bowl of cereal covered in (definitely not skim) milk, two waffles doused in maple syrup, and a glass of orange juice. 1000+ calories. I've never seen anyone eat this combination of food in one sitting before.

I have a protein bar and coffee most days. Every once in a while I do the whole Sunday brunch thing for the kids with pancakes and bacon. But that hardly counts because we don't eat an entire lunch four hours later.

What is U.S. GAF really having for breakfast? I have no idea whether the other breakfasts are remotely accurate. Maybe Global GAF can weigh in on those.

J-Roderton

Man, the breakfasts for Philippines and England in that video look ace.

I'm in US and never eat that shit from the video. The cereal and waffles. OJ is good, though.

Busty

Banned
Porridge.

Handful of sultanas. Honey.

Done with oats, water and milk.

Done in the microwave in ten minutes while I get dressed.

Keeps me full until at least mid morning.

Cannot recommend it highly enough.

Nine times out of ten, nothing.

Sometimes I'll make eggs, toast, and sausage on Sunday mornings.

No actual human who was born on planet Earth eats waffles and cereal and orange juice at the same time. Are they polling coneheads?

bluethree

American living overseas, usually have yogurt / cereal and coffee. If I dont have anything in my house I walk a few minutes to a cpnvenience store to get bread and coffee.

I do yogurt recently, but used to have 2 hard boiled eggs religiously.

The huge breakfasts are nice for a Sunday morning, though

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Here in the UK I promise you we're not eating a massive fry up every bloody morning.

Also I've never seen ham and bacon on a fry up, just the bacon.

Not to say what I knw the typical is, I reckon typical would just be toast/cereal or something.

Bowl of muesli or granola, with greek yoghurt and honey + half a banana for me, every weekday. Bacon sarnies at the weekend usually.

Man, the breakfasts for Philippines and England in that video look ace.

I'm in US and never eat that shit from the video. The cereal and waffles. OJ is good, though.

I'm English and we are not eating the full English Breakfast every morning, we have a bowl of cereal or some toast. Your only eating that breakfast if there is a greasy spoon cafe nearby or at the weekends becuse it takes too long to prepare and your going to put on so much weight if you eat that every day.

Ozorov

Depends on what I'm having home, but usually:

Porridge, eggs, a banana and some juice

or

Sandwich, yoghurt with oats and juice

Dali

I think it's cold cereal, waffles, pancakes, or biscuits. Just one of the above. Nobody combines them. The only time you'll see a combination is with hot cereal. People will eat grits or cream of wheat with a biscuit or something.

But mostly just one big carb, eggs, and meat is what I would consider the traditional American breakfast. I rarely eat it myself. I'll usually have Chex or oatmeal if anything at all.

Eegah

I have the same breakfast and lunch almost every day.

Breakfast:
1 Banana

Some berries (strawberry, blackberry, blueberry, or whatever we have on-hand)

Mozzarella string cheese

Cereal (dry)

Yogurt

Small glass of soy milk

Lunch
A few raw carrots, a handful of raw unsalted nuts, a handful of salt-free pretzels.

Asian American here.

Big bowl of white Jasmine rice with about 8 eggs scrambled.

Every morning.

I love eggs like a thieving beast and I couldn't eat eight eggs in one sitting. 4-5, depending on what else is with them, is my absolute maximum.

The thought of eating that many eggs every morning is even weirder to me than anything contained in the comparisons above. That's a lot of eggs!

Ozorov

Porridge.

Handful of sultanas. Honey.

Done with oats, water and milk.

Done in the microwave in ten minutes while I get dressed.

Keeps me full until at least mid morning.

Cannot recommend it highly enough.

Wait... Do you have it in the microwave for 10 minutes???

Typical breakfast for me (coffee with every meal):

Oatmeal

Corn Chex Cereal

Egg, cheese and -insert breakfast meat- sandwich

ham and cheese omelet

Sausage and pancakes

I rarely ever skip breakfast.

4 egg whites and plain milk lol.
I have one decent meal every two odd days but mostly its like that all day, sometimes oats, sometimes porridge.
Every odd day i do have meat and salad tho

eXistor

u34pCbI.jpg

Or something similar.

bosseye

UK. We don't eat a massive fry up everyday, that would be insane.

Typically I have a bowl of cereal or two slices or toast. If I'm super hungry I'll have both.

Morat

Banned
Pan con tomate (toast with tomato and olive oil) and cafe con leche. In London, but everywhere I go, invariably.

On weekdays I'll usually have one or two museli bars and one or two coffees before lunch.

On weekends I'll have something nice. I'll go to a cafe or make pancakes at home or something. Actually the past two Saturday mornings I've had the same McDonalds order; HotCakes, sausage and egg McMuffin, hash brown and a hot chocolate.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
A banana and maybe a coffee.

or

Corn Flakes/Rice Crispies and maybe a coffee.

I hate eating in the morning so that's why I have just a banana or cereal. I've actually only started eating breakfast this year for the first time since I was a little kid. Usually I didn't eat until about lunch time. Also, never drank coffee until a few months ago.

Paertan

Lately is has been proteinbar because I bought some without checking the size. 300 calories in one bar is a bit much for my regular need but for a breakfast it is good.

Otherwise I often make an overnight oats mix of oatmeal, soy protein and cocoa powder.

Dali

Nobody eats a full English breakfast everyday either. That's an occasional treat
OP isn't disputing the frequency. He's saying nobody eats that combination for breakfast. It's like they took a poll asking "what do you eat for breakfast" and the top three answers were a glass of oj, a bowl of cereal, and waffles so they decided to combine the 3 for their representative of an American breakfast.

zulux21

I tend to do either 2 strips of bacon + 4 eggs
or some oatmeal
or some pop tarts lol.

I too have never seen anyone have cereal, waffles, and orange juice in one sitting. Maybe at a buffet at a hotel, but that would likely replace cereal with bacon.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Mostly have some chopped fruit and a bowl of cereal. If I have a bit more time I might have some toast with honey rather than the cereal.

Nobody eats a full English breakfast everyday either. That's an occasional treat

Yeah, at most I have it once during the weekend and it's not even as full as the video shows (just the one egg, one sausage and no baked beans, though I do have hash browns).

Grym

Coffee everyday. That's it.

Only time I eat a huge breakfast is on a weekend occasionally when we go out somewhere for a (way too big) breakfast. And then it isnt cereal and waffles or whatever. That's just strange.

Genuinely upsets me that people order the muffin when the vastly superior bagel option is available.

But the sausage tastes and smells so good!... if you know what I mean.

I've never had a bagel before. Google images shows me they're just demoted donuts.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
But my Japanese anime told me their typical breakfast consists of running with a slice of toast in their mouth.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
One tea spoon of peanut butter, 80 grams of protein cereal mixed with 40 grams of oats/fruit cereal.

Got clean fat, carbs and protein from that. Everything my body craves for in the morning.

Synless

Breakfast for me could be eggs, cereal, breakfast sandwich, pizza, burgers, pasta, apple, cucumber, sandwich, or pretty much whatever I feel like eating that morning. The traditional shit is all marketing on what I "should" eat so fuck that.

Top Bottom