• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wimbledon 2013 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
About fucking time. Dude seems to always get the harder draw.

this is the third of the last four slams where his semi final is against ferrer. the exception being last french, where he would have had to play (and lose to) nadal eventually anyway. your argument is invalid.

Wilbur

Banned
Can't stand him? Wtf. Probably the only tennis player with a personalty since Agassi. Most of the players are so fucking boring.

Yeah like I said I'm not too fussed about off court personalities, much like football where I don't give a fuck what they're like off the pitch, I decide whether I like them on the court. I'm just not a fan of Djokovic's play I think. And his hair.

Hate the way Wimbledon do draws. Should just be random pairing together, could get Fed vs Nadal in the final or the first round. Would give more players chances of winning a Slam.

LuuKyK

so what is this whole Maria and Serena thing everybody is talking about?

V

Serena made some comments about an un-named player and how she can "be with the man with the black heart" and some other shit, sounded quite petty.

Apparently she's talking about the guy Sharapova is with now, Grigor Dimitrov, that's what Sharapova thinks anyways.

So Sharapova replied saying Serena should think about her own situation and how she's with a guy who's leaving his wife and kids. Then for good measure she called out Williams for the stuff she said about the rape case.

Apart form saying what is quoted (about Dimitrov), Serena also mentioned that said player always says she is happy and proud of her progress (which kinda is what Maria always says).

Full Sharapova quote/answer:

At the end of the day, we have a tremendous amount of respect for what we do on the court, I just think she should be talking about her accomplishments, her achievements, rather than everything else, that's just getting attention & controversy. If she wants to talk about something personal, maybe she should talk about her relationship & her boyfriend that was married and is getting a divorce & has kids"

John Dunbar

correct about everything
lol, dimitrov has a "black heart"? what did he do, make some comment about equal prize money or women's tennis in general?

I'm gonna guess Murray/Djokovic final - think Murray has a better chance of reaching it if he's up against Federer in the semi - I think he'd have him this time, though I dunno about him and Nadal since they haven't played recently and with his injuries.

If it is those 2 in the final, it could go either way on the day.

Something has been bugging me for a while.

Who do American tennis fans pin their hopes on this days? considering Andy Roddick has fallen spectacularly from grace since the wimbledon final about 4 years ago, and people like Isner aren't quite world class standard.

rando14

Something has been bugging me for a while.

Who do American tennis fans pin their hopes on this days? considering Andy Roddick has fallen spectacularly from grace since the wimbledon final about 4 years ago, and people like Isner aren't quite world class standard.

Do you mean who are our favorite American players?

American women's tennis is in solid shape: Serena, Venus, Sloane, Varvara, Keys etc

As for men's, yeah that side is a little rough. Outside of Isner and Querrey it's pretty sparse :\

Peru

Been on a vacation but pretty ready for this. I'll just say that Wimbledon always brings out the worst in tennis journalists, although that may just reveal how many of the bad ones are british, and they've already got off to a 'good' start this year.

Peru

Serena went beyond the usual shoot from the hip comments to idiotic lows with the rape victim answers. More people should call her out for it. The little personal catfight on the other hand is silly and the journalists played Maria nicely to get the headlines. Does get you in a nostalgic retrospective mood for the lowest common denominator reporting we've been privy to for the last decade tho

BNY_YwVCUAA8MY2.jpg

MiKeD

Banned
My completely wrong L16 line-up:

Djokovic vs. Simon
Querrey vs. Berdych (although I got this weird feeling about Kevin Anderson getting the upset)

Ferrer vs. Raonic
Istomin vs. Winner Delpo/Dimitrov (got my money on Delpo, even though he hates grass)

Nadal vs. I have no fucking clue, but I'd say Isner.
Federer vs. Janowicz

Tsonga vs. Winner Cilic/Baghdatis (edge to Cilic)
Murray vs. Tipsarevic (not sure about Janko, but don't see anyone who could beat him)

Also, Nadal is going to have a difficult match against Kubot (if this Polak doesn't screw up his first match). Almost Rosol-like.
Raonic demolishes Ferrer and reaches his first semi-final.

Feel free to mock the shit out of this prediction in about a week.

this isn't a Peru OP. :p

AH... It's a tough draw for Federer, who, assuming they both win out, will play Nadal in the quarters. That's tough...I really hope that he pulls out one more. I really do. Every year the chances get slimmer. But this is a tough draw for Fed.

Just don't give it to Nadal or Djoko!

Ash_69

So just because there's no rivalry she should just ignore it when someone insults her?

I was just going to make this exact point. If you act like a retard, expect to be called out regardless of whether you're handing me a breadstick or bagel.

Also, Murray's got this shit on lock. The way he bodied Tsonga and Cilic a week ago was impressive.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I think the winner will be decided by the semifinal between Nadal and Murray. I don't see Federer making it through Nadal, and I'd actually be moderately surprised if it reached 4 sets these days. Djokovic is not on his 2011 form, and grass courts do not suit his game. Whoever makes the final will beat him, and that's assuming there isn't a surprise knock-out in his half. Between Nadal / Murray? I don't know. Murray normally capitulates so easy, but then, the last time he played Nadal on a fast court he bagelled him in the final set and Murray's game has definitely stepped up since then. Should be interesting. I'd have Nadal as the very mild favourite, but really hoping this year is Murray's.

Smellycat

Very tough draw for Federer. But I believe in him :)

Djokovic has the easiest draw, but then again grass is not his best surface and anyone who makes the final from the top 5 has a good chance at beating him (except Ferrer).

I don't trust Murray against Nadal. It seems like Murray worships Nadal.

MIMIC

Banned
C'mon Henman!

lol

Also....wow. Murray, Federer AND Nadal all in the same half. Djokovic really escaped big time (barring an upset by Haas in the 4th round). Perhaps it was the draw gods being kind to him after being such a klutz against Nadal at RG.

Very interesting bottom half. VERY interesting. So many top players all packed in there.

My completely wrong L16 line-up:

Djokovic vs. Simon
Querrey vs. Berdych (although I got this weird feeling about Kevin Anderson getting the upset)

Speaking of Kevin Anderson, he plays Olivier Rochus first round. 6'8" vs. 5'6". If this were a fight it would be illegal.

eggybob

Unconfirmed Member
People who live local, if you haven't got tickets in the ballots is there anyway to watch matches there?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Edmund holding his own very nicely against Janowicz.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
The 'least liked player on the tour' according to Simon.

That's fine, I can do the liking for them. Best of the young 'uns.

EDIT: Bah, I still can't stand just how ugly the quoted colour is. :/

John Dunbar

correct about everything
ESPN commentators are babbling about "not expecting that to happen" when Federer makes an error. Have they not seen him play for the past however many years?

Peru

I enjoy your desperate fixation almost as much as I did participating in the FO thread without you in it.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Kyle's odd. Like a mini Del Potro, I guess? Very good serve and powerful forehand but surprisingly passive.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
The Wimbledon camera angle is so much better than the other slams.

By far. The US Open particularly has the worst camera angles ever for actually trying to work out relative dimensions easily.

LuuKyK

By far. The US Open particularly has the worst camera angles ever for actually trying to work out relative dimensions easily.

Yeah, and they dont try too hard with the weird camera angles that you cant see shit. FO was terrible in this aspect. Its also closer to the player in Wimbledon and you can hear the racket sounds way better too. Pretty awesome imo.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, and they dont try too hard with the weird camera angles that you cant see shit. FO was terrible in this aspect. Its also closer to the player in Wimbledon and you can hear the racket sounds way better too. Pretty awesome imo.

The Australian is pretty decent, though. Wimbledon / Australian are definitely my favourite slams in terms of presentation. French just doesn't have the effort put in, and the US is just all over the place with weird camera angles, bizarre scheduling, refusal to actually renovate the courts, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom