• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 04•14-16•17 - Can't fight fate, Baby: F8 leaves WW B.O. opening record in dust

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaosslug

s3Z1zuZ.jpg
bwocwoQ.jpg
pYaLZRS.jpg
lXuZSwm.jpg
91vjcXp.jpg

tomatometer:
Cfk79.gif
64% The Fate of the Furious
eptv7.gif
52% The Boss Baby
kavuF.gif
71% Beauty and the Beast (2017)
3Pj0x.gif
38% Smurfs: The Lost Village
5f4ew.gif
46% Going in Style (2017)

metacritic:
*click pic(s) for source*

‘Fate of the Furious' Torches Global Box Office Records With $532.5 Million Opening

”The Fate of the Furious" smashed global box office records, earning an estimated $532.5 million worldwide to set a new high-water mark for an opening.

The long-running series, now in its eighth installment, got a big boost from foreign crowds. The action thriller earned $432.3 million internationally after bowing in 63 foreign markets. That helped offset declining domestic results. ”The Fate of the Furious" opened to $100.2 million, a sharp drop from ”Furious 7's" $147.2 million kick-off.

More to come...

*click pic for full list/source*

*click pic for full list/source*

Kart94

Banned
Ghost in the shell already below Power Rangers and Kong Skull Island? Dang.

Also Boss Baby holding well like a Boss.....Baby

Fate just barely nosed over that 100 mil mark, huh. I wonder if actuals will keep it there, or if we're looking at an "almost had you" sorta situation.

That Transformers/Fast crossover seems super-attractive now, considering the films seem to have lost some of their appeal for domestic audiences.

Fate just barely nosed over that 100 mil mark, huh. I wonder if actuals will keep it there, or if we're looking at an "almost had you" sorta situation.

That Transformers/Fast crossover seems super-attractive now, considering the films seem to have lost some of their appeal for domestic audiences.

They'll probably futz the numbers Transformers style to keep it that way anyways

TF and Fast are different studios, ya? Paramount could use the heat though

Ridley327

No question about it anymore: GITS is an unqualified flop. When a two-month old horror film gets more money on fewer screens, it's time to accept that there isn't anybody out there interested in what you're selling.

FTF

Amazing ww opening weekend. But it's not dropping only 29% today so its dom ow will be under $100m.

kswiston

Ya. This is a clear weekend fudge for the Monday papers.

Technically, that worldwide record is close enough that it's still in contention with a domestic drop. But overseas takes tend to be underestimated.

ZeoVGM

Banned

5 opened to $86m, 6 opened to $97m, 7 skyrocketed up to $147m and 8 is back down to $100m.

I don't think the Fast films have lost some of their appeal. 7 was an outlier that had unique circumstances around it.

FTF

Ya. This is a clear weekend fudge for the Monday papers.

Technically, that worldwide record is close enough that it's still in contention with a domestic drop. But overseas takes tend to be underestimated.

Yeah, I expect it to still take the ww record with os going up slightly to make up for whatever it'll lose domestically with actuals.

Sad that Your Name couldn't stay on the list. Saw it in a mostly full theater on Wednesday afternoon!

It could still be there, they haven't posted #s yet for it.

5 opened to $86m, 6 opened to $97m, 7 skyrocketed up to $147m and 8 is back down to $100m.

I don't think the Fast films have lost some of their appeal.

I mean, dropping from 147 down to 100 is a drop. You're basically suggesting it made $50 mil extra on that weekend solely because of Paul Walker's death. Which might not be wrong, I remember it being a pretty big hook.

But that big?

edit: Was this thread and the Worldwide Weekend Record thread merged and unmerged or something? Or is it a glitch like "First Post is now OP"

Kusagari

I mean, dropping from 147 down to 100 is a drop. You're basically suggesting it made $50 mil extra on that weekend solely because of Paul Walker's death. Which might not be wrong, I remember it being a pretty big hook.

But that big?

Paul Walker's death made a Wiz Khalifa song one of the biggest of all time.

Yes, it was that big a hook.

Guzim

But that big?

I'm not surprised. People wanted to see how they'd deal with it.

JohnDrake

Vin Diesel crushing the competition.

GitS was murdered with the arrival of a 100M+ opener that was after the same target audience. Power Rangers won't even make 100M DOM. Awful legs.

rrs

But that big?

edit: Was this thread and the Worldwide Weekend Record thread merged and unmerged or something? Or is it a glitch like "First Post is now OP"
the posts fought highlander style for the OP

ZeoVGM

Banned

But that big?

I personally think his death brought in a good amount of that extra domestic money. I remember talking to a lot of non-fans who wanted to see how they managed to work around it. But who knows, that opening surprised a lot of people if I remember correctly.

This seems to be the usual appeal for the series since its rebirth, with 7 being a clear outlier. I'd say if 9 has another noticeable drop then yeah, the films have started to lose their appeal.

I'm sure Universal is perfectly happy with 8 dropping back down to its normal numbers while seeing it beat Star Wars worldwide.

Or I'm wrong and we're getting Fast to the Future finally.

But yeah, the fact this superhero supercar superspy film starring maybe four white people of note (none of whom are actual leads) is setting all-time records internationally is definitely a sign that the studios cannot, should not, and really better not try to make the bullshit argument that securing financing becomes harder when you don't have your "bankable" white lead at the front of your film.

2017 should be the fucking killshot for that piece of bullshit conventional wisdom. Ghost in the Shell is a massive flop that adheres strictly to that wisdom. Fate of the Furious gives it the finger on its way to half-a-bil in one weekend.

Do theatres in the US get to decide when they want to drop a movie?

Kinda/sorta. There are typically contracts with the studios that ensure the picture gets a minimum length run on a set number of screens. Something like "This has to be in your biggest room for X number of weeks and then you can move it to smaller screens" and then after like 3 or 4 weeks they can either remove it entirely or keep it in the theater.

Kusagari

Do theatres in the US get to decide when they want to drop a movie?

Anything from a big studio is going to have theaters contractually obligated to hold it for two weeks. After that, it's fair game. Why you see mega drops like GitS here happening in the third week.

Apparently the timestamp thing isn't only for OPs & first posts.

Of course, considering the completely asinine practice of future-quoting that happens here, it's hard to tell whether it's a glitch, too.

From another thread:
Fast to the Future
The Past and the Furious

They bring Han back by sending present day Statham to kill himself in the past before he kills Han.

Was messing around in the other thread about bringing Han back with Gisele and Johnny Tran as a team and since we're talking crossovers and potentially saving franchises...

NS8F92ul.jpg

The Past and the Furious: Power Rangers Turbo Time Force

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom