• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 04•14-16•17 - Can't fight fate, Baby: F8 leaves WW B.O. opening record in dust

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

But yeah, the fact this superhero supercar superspy film starring maybe four white people of note (none of whom are actual leads) is setting all-time records internationally is definitely a sign that the studios cannot, should not, and really better not try to make the bullshit argument that securing financing becomes harder when you don't have your "bankable" white lead at the front of your film.

2017 should be the fucking killshot for that piece of bullshit conventional wisdom. Ghost in the Shell is a massive flop that adheres strictly to that wisdom. Fate of the Furious gives it the finger on its way to half-a-bil in one weekend.

Kinda/sorta. There are typically contracts with the studios that ensure the picture gets a minimum length run on a set number of screens. Something like "This has to be in your biggest room for X number of weeks and then you can move it to smaller screens" and then after like 3 or 4 weeks they can either remove it entirely or keep it in the theater.
They going to try so hard, but eventually they will learn

To all the people that keep saying after each new installment that "this one should be the last one...end the franchise..."fack outta here.

The series is gonna be here for a little while longer.

Either ride or die.

JohnDrake

Next FnF is going to have a large setpiece in China and a Chinese actor in it.

VIqGw820Wk5itr_1_hd.jpg

Schlorgan

Next FnF is going to have a large setpiece in China and a Chinese actor in it.
They had a Taiwanese director at the helm for a while. Maybe they could bring him back.

Though I feel like Justin Lin's time with this franchise and Star Trek was just preparing him to take the reigns on Transformers.

But yeah, the fact this superhero supercar superspy film starring maybe four white people of note (none of whom are actual leads) is setting all-time records internationally is definitely a sign that the studios cannot, should not, and really better not try to make the bullshit argument that securing financing becomes harder when you don't have your "bankable" white lead at the front of your film.

2017 should be the fucking killshot for that piece of bullshit conventional wisdom. Ghost in the Shell is a massive flop that adheres strictly to that wisdom. Fate of the Furious gives it the finger on its way to half-a-bil in one weekend.

Bobby, I think you're missing the biggest reason. White execs, producers, directors, casting directors, etc... WANT to cast White actors as leads, regardless of any perceived box office success. Not to mention, the Fast and the Furious franchise and Ghost in the Shell in their heads will be easily explained as exceptions to the rule and other factors that enabled it's success and failure, none of it about race.

Haven't seen 8 yet but super happy that a movie with a cast like it continues to make crazy money while white-washed GiTS bombs.

kswiston

I'm curious to see how next week holds up. F8 opened huge in China, but it was pretty frontloaded. The overall total there might not be much more than F7.

3N16MA

Banned
I'm curious to see how next week holds up. F8 opened huge in China, but it was pretty frontloaded. The overall total there might not be much more than F7.

Good legs for big Hollywood films in China is slightly above 2X multiplier. Correct me if I'm wrong.

kswiston

Good legs for big Hollywood films in China is slightly above 2X multiplier. Correct me if I'm wrong.

There aren't any hard and fast rules. Under 2x is really frontloaded. Zootopia was something like 10x opening weekend.

We only started to see Friday openings becoming standardized in China this past year. See the Sunday opening for Furious 7, Tuesday opening for Age of Ultron, Wednesday opening for Jurassic World and Saturday opening for TFA in 2015/early 2016.

Madao

BACK TO THE FUTURE

directed by M. Night Shyamalan to gives us this nugget:

at the end of the movie they time travel to the far future and find themselves in a wasteland. when they wonder why everything is dead, they see a car coming, up close, it's an interceptor followed by a gang...

3N16MA

Banned
There aren't any hard and fast rules. Under 2x is really frontloaded. Zootopia was something like 10x opening weekend.

We only started to see Friday openings becoming standardized in China this past year. See the Sunday opening for Furious 7, Tuesday opening for Age of Ultron, Wednesday opening for Jurassic World and Saturday opening for TFA in 2015/early 2016.

So we should be getting some more standard weekend data going forward.

directed by M. Night Shyamalan to gives us this nugget:

at the end of the movie they time travel to the far future and find themselves in a wasteland. when they wonder why everything is dead, they see a car coming, up close, it's an interceptor followed by a gang...

yl567.jpg

Was messing around in the other thread about bringing Han back with Gisele and Johnny Tran as a team and since we're talking crossovers and potentially saving franchises...

NS8F92ul.jpg

The Past and the Furious: Power Rangers Turbo Time Force

Never thought about how many Asian bad guys there are (though one of them is good and 2 come from the movie set in Tokyo).

I definitely think this franchise is going to China though.

GitS getting beat by a movie one week older than its release date. Wow. Just pull it and get the 4K Blu-Ray out Paramount.

Good god at the FitF global take. These movies don't interest me in the slightest, but continues to make bank.

GitS getting beat by a movie one week older than its release date. Wow. Just pull it and get the 4K Blu-Ray out Paramount.

Good god at the FitF global take. These movies don't interest me in the slightest, but continues to make bank.

GitS got beat by a low budget movie 5 weeks older than it's release date.

orochi91

I mean, dropping from 147 down to 100 is a drop. You're basically suggesting it made $50 mil extra on that weekend solely because of Paul Walker's death. Which might not be wrong, I remember it being a pretty big hook.

But that big?
Paul Walker's death, coupled with that phenomenal Wiz Khalifa song, propelled F7.

Probably, lol

BumRush

It's kind of crazy that the rock has become the biggest star in Hollywood. I mean he deserves it, but it's still wild to think that an ex-wrestler is legit the biggest name in film.

Snaku

Banned
Japan and China aren't going to change anything at this point.

Japan won't make any difference, but China is a different story. That country single handedly saved Pacific Rim 2, and is keeping the Transformers franchise going. If you think they're not going to flock to see masked superheroes battle a giant monster in five robots that combine into a bigger super robot you're out of your mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom