• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 04•14-16•17 - Can't fight fate, Baby: F8 leaves WW B.O. opening record in dust

Status
Not open for further replies.
Laughing-Histerically.gif

Ride that snowpiercer to the end, Trokil. Maybe there will be daylight at the end.

I'm not even sure where John Wick 2 came from. To put that to bed: John Wick 2 made $161 million worldwide, it's budget was only $40 million. That is profit, which is success. If GITS gets lucky, it's make more than Get Out too! (Get Out's budget is $4 million. Tons of profit.)

Ghost in the Shell Worldwide Numbers Last Week: $48 million
Ghost in the Shell Worldwide Numbers This Week: $10 million

It's done. That's all she wrote, unless it has crazy Zootopia legs.

The real difference between the two is that we'll get a John Wick 3

3 headshots for John Wick 3
john-wick-2-shooting.gif

Schlorgan

Then it makes even less sense. Because domestic is not world wide.
Maybe it was worldwide. Any way you look at it, $37m domestic $115m foreign is a bad sign for a movie with a budget greater than $100m.

That means $20.3m of the domestic gross, $37m of the foreign gross and $5.7m of the China gross goes to Paramount (based on the 55/40/25 rule). So from the gross from the theatrical run up to now the studio gets $63m which only covers about half of the production budget, and won't come close to covering whatever they spent on marketing.

Paramount will lose a lot of money on this movie, no matter what happens.

BumRush

Completely unrelated to any movie in theatres right now, but are we ever getting a sequel to Fincher's Girl with the Dragon Tatoo??? I'm reading the second book now and want more Fincher.

Completely unrelated to any movie in theatres right now, but are we ever getting a sequel to Fincher's Girl with the Dragon Tatoo??? I'm reading the second book now and want more Fincher.

There's another one coming, but it'll basically be a reboot of the series. No Craig, no Mara, no Fincher.

Ridley327

Im confused, did Your Name have just a 6 day theatrical run? What a bizarre decision.

It was still playing around here in the same theaters it had the previous weekend. I'm guessing that Funimation forgot to report numbers, since I can't imagine that it fell off a cliff that hard with what movies are on the bottom of the list to top it.

Phamit

I heard they are doing the 4th book, but without a new cast and Fincher

kswiston

Ghost in the Shell's performance in China:

Opening Weekend: $21.4M
Second Weekend: $0.70M (-97%)

Incredible Overseas Momentum (tm)

S-Wind

Bobby, I think you're missing the biggest reason. White execs, producers, directors, casting directors, etc... WANT to cast White actors as leads, regardless of any perceived box office success. Not to mention, the Fast and the Furious franchise and Ghost in the Shell in their heads will be easily explained as exceptions to the rule and other factors that enabled it's success and failure, none of it about race.

BINGO!

kswiston

Damn if only F8 went with bankable super famous stars

Isn't that sort of what they are doing these days? At least when compared to something like Tokyo Drift. It's cool that they have been keeping as many legacy characters as possible, but a lot of their newer editions are pretty well known. It's the same window dressing approach that Marvel uses when casting their supporting roles and villains.

Isn't that sort of what they are doing these days? At least when compared to something like Tokyo Drift. It's cool that they have been keeping as many legacy characters as possible, but a lot of their newer editions are pretty well known.

He was being sarcastic.

I know. But plenty of people are trying to paint this as an underdog cast of sorts in the various F&F threads. The cast is getting to be pretty stacked.

Don't you kill my fanfic you bastard

But yeah starting with 7 they really started stacking the deck with people outside of the main crew

kswiston

I don't know if audience demographics were posted for Fate of the Furious yet:

"Long heralded for its diverse cast, Furious 8 played to audiences of all ethnicities and nabbed an A CinemaScore. Domestically, Caucasians made up 41 percent of the audience, followed by Hispanics (26 percent), African-Americans (21) percent, Asians (11 percent) and Native American/Other (3 percent), according to comScore's exit polling service PostTrack. The pic skewed male at 58 percent, far more than the last film at 51 percent."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...abs-1002m-us-record-5325m-global-start-994377

F8 IMAX shows brought in $31.1M worldwide, which was the 4th biggest opening of all time in that format (I believe it had the widest IMAX release ever as well).

Regular 2D showings in North America only accounted for 57% of the opening weekend box office (as opposed to 71% for F7). I assume that the remaining 43% was IMAX and premium large format.

Another fact that might have been shared earlier: This is the largest domestic opening weekend of all time for a film by a black director (Gary Gray). Gary already held that record for Straight Outta Compton previously ($60M opening).

kswiston

So I went back and found the opening weekend demographics for Furious 7:

According to Universal, 75 percent of the audience in North America was non-Caucasian, generally in line with previous installments. Hispanics, the most frequent moviegoers in the U.S., made up the majority of ticket buyers (37 percent), followed by Caucasians (25 percent), African-Americans (24 percent), Asians (10 percent) and other (4 percent).

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/furious-7-audience-75-percent-786452

And there are the opening weekends of Furious 7 and Fate of the Furious broken down by demographics:

Code:
			Furious 7	Fate of the Furious
Hispanic		$54.4M (37%)	$26M (26%)
Non-Hispanic white	$36.8M (25%)	$41M (41%)
Black			$35.3M (24%)	$21M (21%)
Asian			$14.7M (10%)	$11M (11%)
Other			$5.9M  (4%)	$3M  (3%)
TOTAL OPENING WEEKEND	$147M		$100M

Wow, Ghost in the Shell is crazy successful on the international market, it just has made as much money world wide in about 20 days as John Wick 2 did in 66 days.

In a lot of markets it is still ahead of Ant-Man I wonder how much money it will make in total. Casting Scarlett seemed really worked out, else it would have ended like Power Rangers.

Power rangers hasn't opened in as many markets as GiTS

It's far from a success.

Power Rangers isn't doing well, but we're comparing two turds here, it doesn't matter which smells worse.

hirokazu

Sorry if this has already been asked, but how does F7's worldwide opening weekend look if you added China's opening weekend to it?

D i Z

Shiiiiiit... if Jackie Motherfucking Chan shows up in the post credits scene of the FF9 the whole theatre is going to erupt!!!

MAKE IT HAPPEN, Hollywood!!! Allow your love of $$$ to over ride your anti Asian [male] racism!!!

I could see the series doing an off shoot with some characters (a lot of them) doing a Cannonball run type event. What a turn around that would be!!!!

Man I really do not get why Fast and Furious movies are so popular.

Best macho cinematic soap opera ever created and we get a new installment every other year.

Shiiiiiit... if Jackie Motherfucking Chan shows up in the post credits scene of the FF9 the whole theatre is going to erupt!!!

MAKE IT HAPPEN, Hollywood!!! Allow your love of $$$ to over ride your anti Asian [male] racism!!!

Han's avenging uncle.

Chan shows up and brings Sung Kang as Han's twin brother who's exactly like him.

Dude...OK. Here we go. The team sees Han walk in and is excited to see him!

Tej: "Han, you're alive."

Not Han: "No, he's not and you should know that since you left my brother to die." <pulls out gun>

Uncle Jackie Chan:<walking in behind him> "...And my nephew..."

Roman proceeds to get dem hands.

Dude...OK. Here we go. The team sees Han walk in and is excited to see him!

Tej: "Han, you're alive."

Not Han: "No, he's not and you should know that since you left my brother to die." <pulls out gun>

Uncle Jackie Chan:<walking in behind him> "...And my nephew..."

Roman proceeds to get dem hands.

The team is told to go and stop Jackie Chan. They show up at his lair, but he walks up, hands in the air and says, "I want no trouble..."

Then we witness one of the most spectacular group ass beatings ever put to film as Jackie trounces the entire crew, ending with Jackie taking on The Rock and Jason Statham at the same time.

And he does them like Jet Li did Riggs and Murtaugh.

Only 10 times dirtier.

Actually, fuck it. Fast 9 to be a modern day remake of Enter the Dragon, but they also race cars in addition to having fighting tourneys.
Jackie Chan plays the Han equivalent from Enter the Dragon. End it in a fight scene in a hall of mirrors.

kswiston

Sorry if this has already been asked, but how does F7's worldwide opening weekend look if you added China's opening weekend to it?

About $460M WW.

However, Furious 7 opened on a Sunday in China, so it's only adding the opening day. Russia also missed the worldwide opening weekend last time, so that would have added an additional $16M.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom