• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 04•14-16•17 - Can't fight fate, Baby: F8 leaves WW B.O. opening record in dust

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only 10 times dirtier.

Actually, fuck it. Fast 9 to be a modern day remake of Enter the Dragon, but they also race cars in addition to having fighting tourneys.
Jackie Chan plays the Han equivalent from Enter the Dragon. End it in a fight scene in a hall of mirrors.

How about the final fight in the middle of a car chase!?!

Jackie Chan doing stunt work on moving vehicles one more time in his career...I mean, why don't you just drain the money from my veins.

3N16MA

Banned
Wow, Ghost in the Shell is crazy successful on the international market, it just has made as much money world wide in about 20 days as John Wick 2 did in 66 days.

In a lot of markets it is still ahead of Ant-Man I wonder how much money it will make in total. Casting Scarlett seemed really worked out, else it would have ended like Power Rangers.

You hit the nail on the head. GitS is making bank OS and has already pulled a nice profit for Paramount (152M Gross - 110M budget). Most of the posters in here will deny the success for two reasons:

1. Sexual frustration over the fact that they can never get with a woman like ScarJo
2. They have no clue WTF they're talking about when it comes to the BO game. This especially applies to dolts like kswiston and Bronson.

The run is not over and I can see it easily crossing 200M for a huge profit. This does not include merchandise sales or Blu-Ray sales. I have seen plenty of teens walking around the mall with GitS merchandise and the stuff is flying off the shelf at Hot Topic. I wouldn't be surprised if it is one of the top 3 selling Blu-Ray's of 2017.

It's already over 23M in China which is crazy money!

Chumley

Banned
You hit the nail on the head. GitS is making bank OS and has already pulled a nice profit for Paramount (152M Gross - 110M budget). Most of the posters in here will deny the success for two reasons:

1. Sexual frustration over the fact that they can never get with a woman like ScarJo
2. They have no clue WTF they're talking about when it comes to the BO game. This especially applies to dolts like kswiston and Bronson.

The run is not over and I can see it easily crossing 200M for a huge profit. This does not include merchandise sales or Blu-Ray sales. I have seen plenty of teens walking around the mall with GitS merchandise and the stuff is flying off the shelf at Hot Topic. I wouldn't be surprised if it is one of the top 3 selling Blu-Ray's of 2017.

My man.

We all know it's #1 tbh

well I legit have no fucking clue what I'm talking about, I just pretend I do and stick close enough to swiss's numbers that I'm s a f e

How about the final fight in the middle of a car chase!?!

Jackie Chan doing stunt work on moving vehicles one more time in his career...I mean, why don't you just drain the money from my veins.

Fights in each car or bus. Do one long tracking shot of him jumping from car to car, beating everyone's ass, then leaping from the last one as they all crash in one spectacular show of mayhem. Jackie standing up in slow motion, victorious over the Fast team.

I agree, but there's just so many movies like that. I never really saw what made this series so much more appealing.

Because these are almost all extremely well made and aren't taking themselves too seriously. The trick is that they take themselves just seriously enough, but still go full into the crazy.
As I have said before, they are what Michael Bay has attempted to do his whole career. The Fast people just figured out how to do it over and over again.

Guzim

Chan shows up and brings Sung Kang as Han's twin brother who's exactly like him.
"I'm Han's twin brother, Gil. I taught him everything I know about drifting. I want to fulfill his legacy by taking his place in your family. Han told me everything about you so we won't have that awkward getting to know you stage."

Fights in each car or bus. Do one long tracking shot of him jumping from car to car, beating everyone's ass, then leaping from the last one as they all crash in one spectacular show of mayhem. Jackie standing up in slow motion, victorious over the Fast team.

Yeah, you are following me.

When does this happen? Mid-way through the movie ala Clubber Lang, straight up humbling the team, setting the stage for the "adjustments" in the second half.

Schlorgan

The most profit of 2017! Yuge!

"I'm Han's twin brother, Gil. I taught him everything I know about drifting. I want to fulfill his legacy by taking his place in your family. Han told me everything about you so we won't have that awkward getting to know you stage."
"On a side note, this is my uncle."

Jackie Chan walks on set to studio audience applause. Every line from his mouth is followed by studio audience laughter and every stunt with more applause.

Yeah, you are following me.

When does this happen? Mid-way through the movie ala Clubber Lang, straight up humbling the team, setting the stage for the "adjustments" in the second half.

Halfway through. You need some time for Jackie to realize he has been played into taking out the team by some bigger, badder bad guy. Then they all team up to go and take on the true villain of the film. The puppet master behind the scenes.

Sammo Hung and his right hand man, Yuen Biao.

Jackie greets them before the final battle and says, "Hello again, brothers..."

Halfway through. You need some time for Jackie to realize he has been played into taking out the team by some bigger, badder bad guy. Then they all team up to go and take on the true villain of the film. The puppet master behind the scenes.

Sammo Hung and his right hand man, Yuen Biao.

Jackie greets them before the final battle and says, "Hello again, brothers..."

Jet Li revealed as Johnny Tran's real father (the family in FF1 was a front) and he has been plotting this revenge play since Brian sent FBI to his home (in fact, he was behind hiring Cypher)...cousin Lance comes in flanking him.

"Payback's a bitch, Dom...and so are you!"

Prompto

Banned
The world wide box office opening record is broken and yet there's only 5 pages in this thread. What happened to Box-Office gaf? :(

3N16MA

Banned
The world wide box office opening record is broken and yet there's only 5 pages in this thread. What happened to Box-Office gaf? :(

Most of the good stuff happens later in the week when the posts are less focused on the weekend numbers.

Which will be the bigger thread/come first?
A DCEU film getting better reviews and higher grosses than an MCU film, or Avatar 2 box office?

3N16MA

Banned
Which will be the bigger thread/come first?
A DCEU film getting better reviews and higher grosses than an MCU film, or Avatar 2 box office?

Avatar 2. I feel that negative reviews fuel a larger thread as where a positive reviewed film wouldn't last as long.

Avatar 2 trailer thread (2 years from now lol) is gonna be hype.

regardless of what people thought of the film that cgi we saw in the trailer was so damn good, years later and with WETA honing their skills even more with the Apes series how good is this gonna look.

The Avatar 2 threads are going to be some of the most annoying shit you ever read in your fuckin life.

Nothing will have prepared us for that event. NOTHING.

At least we had the BvS review thread to prepare us for Justice League.

Okay, which will be more annoying? Avatar 2 or an Avengers film getting a rotten review/bad box office gross?

I am thinking Avatar 2.

kswiston

Worldwide records are not really apples to apples comparisons. Day-and-Date releases have only began being more common recently, and there are still a lot of films that are missing China in Week 1, or open early overseas.

Just looking at the F&F franchise, Furious 7 launched without China and Russia, and grossed $397M WW in its first weekend.

Fate of the Furious made an estimated $204M from those territories. So, in reality, this film is down close to $70M in the territories that Furious 7 launched in (albeit, most of the drop happened on the domestic side). China's opening total is indeed massive, but based on the way Furious 7 ran, F8 will be quite a bit more frontloaded. I expect the final totals of both to be pretty close in China.

F8 is also launching later in April, so where Furious 7 had a full month to itself, Fate has Guardians of the Galaxy 2 launching in many territories two weeks after its release.

3N16MA

Banned
Nothing will have prepared us for that event. NOTHING.

At least we had the BvS review thread to prepare us for Justice League.

Okay, which will be more annoying? Avatar 2 or an Avengers film getting a rotten review/bad box office gross?

I am thinking Avatar 2.

90% of GAF will be in mourning if an Avengers film was poorly reviewed. Very somber thread.

numble

Compared to the domestic opening, Avengers usually opens a week earlier in some territories, and Star Wars opens later in China. If Avengers 2 and TFA opened on the same weekend worldwide, it would be higher than this record. This record is more of a coordinating exercise more than anything, but it is difficult to get a movie to open on the same time in China for certain months, as they block out some weekends for Chinese films only (in the past they even blocked out the summer months and December for Chinese films only).

Also, I have never watched Avatar.

It's worth a watch. Cameron goes pretty apeshit in the last 30 minutes.

It's still not as good a film as Titanic, however.

Shit, I haven't done this in awhile. Fuck it:

1) ALIENS
2) The Terminator
3) The Abyss (Special Edition)
4) Terminator 2
5) Titanic
6) Avatar
7) True Lies

Not ranking Pirahna II.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom