• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 04•14-16•17 - Can't fight fate, Baby: F8 leaves WW B.O. opening record in dust

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, the first one I will always believe was genuine from Lasseter as his love letter to Americana and classic cars and all that, but the sequels and shorts are just like pure profit making machines. I'm thankful they still put effort into them, I actually really like Cars 2 and a few of the Mater shorts (the black and white gumshoe one in particular is amazing), but there's no real denying at this point that the franchise exists to make hella bank on merch.

Cars 2 was also sorta a passion project for Lasseter. He really wanted it to get made anyway. The toy sales thing were more like an excuse then anything so he could play around with his world.

Cars 3 looks to be better, but it probably won't be great though.

Surfinn

I'm running out of ways to say "I'm not disagreeing with folks who really, really, really like that particular movie score and I don't plan on fighting with them about where it ranks on all-time lists. But without any emotional connection to the movie that it's tied to, it's really not distinguishable to me from his other work and doesn't resonate as strongly as the other soundtracks I was exposed to during my VHS-rental days." ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Across the stars, IMO, is one of JW's best. The movie it was made for, attack of the clones, is shit, and I have no emotional connection to it whatsoever.. But man when I hear that song, especially by itself, it's truly incredible.

Sometimes songs are even better and/or provide a different experience when removed from the movies they're made for.

But of course, this is just my own experience. I feel like JW's scores usually stand on their own quite nicely.

Branduil

People in here saying they feel nothing when presented with the single greatest super hero theme ever composed? What is wrong with you all!?

It set the standard for superhero themes in the 70s, and it has still yet to be matched.

It is majestic and grand, exactly what you would expect Superman to be like. Some other superhero themes have come close to this level, such as Elfman's Batman theme, but no one has joined this theme in the sun.

Seriously, what the hell is wrong with you all!?
I blame Marvel for making people think superhero movie music should be something you forget 5 seconds after hearing.

I blame Marvel for making people think superhero movie music should be something you forget 5 seconds after hearing.

I think some Marvel's films have memorable enough themes myself. It's the lack of intentional music continuity that hurts them more then anything.

ZeoVGM

Banned

The MCU films have gotten a lot better. While most of them don't have iconic themes like the Batman films have, there have been a few great soundtracks like Winter Soldier, Iron Man 3 and Doctor Strange.

And the Avengers main theme is really nice.

AndyVirus

I feel like the MCU has one good track per film and I only end up noticing it in the end credits. Cap 1, Avengers, Iron Man 3 and everyone's favourite Thor 2 all did this. Hopefully Silvestri gives his Avengers theme a lot of use in Infinity War.

BTW saw Fate of The Furious yesterday. Pretty fun film. I especially had the pleasure of watching it in 4Dx in Seattle, so the theater was constantly shaking and we were getting water sprayed on us. You could truly say I was truly on the edge of my seat.
You could also say you were​ legit shook.

Star Wars left the all-time domestic Top 10 yesterday. It had a good run.
Guess it's time for that 4K remaster to debut.

How much money do you think ANH 3D would have made had LFL continued with those? TPM 3D did 102m WW (43 dom., 59 int.) and Jurassic Park did 116m (45 dom., 71 int.) which I would think would be comparable, but I dunno.

kswiston

Looks like none of the openers this week will come anywhere near $10M based on Deadline's Friday matinee report. They have Fate of the Furious at $11M today, which would be about as good as can be expected if that number holds.

I feel like the MCU has one good track per film and I only end up noticing it in the end credits. Cap 1, Avengers, Iron Man 3 and everyone's favourite Thor 2 all did this. Hopefully Silvestri gives his Avengers theme a lot of use in Infinity War.

You could also say you were​ legit shook.

Well the credits are pretty much the only way composers these days can seemingly make some great music, since they're compromised by what the studio wants otherwise.

I have The Avengers will get a lot of use during the action sequences. I'd prefer Elfman's rendition, but I don't mind the original being used as well.

kswiston

How to be a Latin Lover is definitely locked for $1 Billion

These two weeks are going to be so slow at the box office. Fate of the Furious will three-peat at #1 even if it has bad holds because there is nothing else out that people want to watch.

Boxoffice.com updated their long range forecast. They added the following films:

Cars 3 - $49M opening - $180M total
All Eyez On Me - $18M opening - $49M total
Rough Night - $25M opening - $80M total

3N16MA

Banned
Yeesh. Sub $50m opening for Cars 3? Savage.

I find it more odd that they think the next installment is all of a sudden going to grow some decent legs from Cars 2. Cars 2 has a 2.89 multiplier which is not exactly great for an animated film. Now they think Cars 3 is going to pull a 3.67?

DM3 drop 2 weeks after it opens.

This year feels like a lot of middling sequels no one asked for. Between Cars, Transformers, and Pirates.

Two of the films you listed grossed 1B their last time out. Someone is asking for it.

Despicable Me 3 is going to be interesting to watch. Has Minions fever passed? I was calling for Minions to break big before, but feel like DM3 will be a drop. It will still be a huge success based on how cheap Illumination films are, but a big part of me sees it dropping from Minions.

3N16MA

Banned
Despicable Me 3 is going to be interesting to watch. Has Minions fever passed? I was calling for Minions to break big before, but feel like DM3 will be a drop. It will still be a huge success based on how cheap Illumination films are, but a big part of me sees it dropping from Minions.

It could drop but I don't see it dropping by much. Minions was a spinoff that got old fast but still gobbled up an audience WW. The main franchise has a bit more depth with all the characters returning and I think it will play well with families (as always).

It could drop but I don't see it dropping by much. Minions was a spinoff that got old fast but still gobbled up an audience WW. The main franchise has a bit more depth with all the characters returning and I think it will play well with families (as always).
Still gonna make bank, but the Minions themselves are the marketing draw.

I am thinking a drop from Minions, but not huge. Thinking $850m is the floor, and the ceiling being $1.1b, or just below Minions.

Seriously, the only reason I know DM3 is releasing is this thread. I haven't seen any advertising or trailers at all anywhere for it. Anecdotal, I know.

3N16MA

Banned
Still gonna make bank, but the Minions themselves are the marketing draw.

I am thinking a drop from Minions, but not huge. Thinking $850m is the floor, and the ceiling being $1.1b, or just below Minions.

Seriously, the only reason I know DM3 is releasing is this thread. I haven't seen any advertising or trailers at all anywhere for it. Anecdotal, I know.

Universal/Illumination marketing machine will get at it. They never fail to market the hell out of their films.

Universal/Illumination marketing machine will get at it. They never fail to market the hell out of their films.

Waiting for the glut of merchandizing and branded products to arrive then. Things just seemed much crazier at this point with Minions, but probably it was that I was more cognizant of Minions releasing than DM3.

Cars 2 was also sorta a passion project for Lasseter. He really wanted it to get made anyway. The toy sales thing were more like an excuse then anything so he could play around with his world.

Cars 3 looks to be better, but it probably won't be great though.

Oh yeah, that's what I meant by saying that they still put effort into them despite them being total merch machines, instead of them being just shit soulless DTV garbage.

Like, Cars 2 was born out of a deleted scene from Cars. In it, Lightning and Sally go on a date at a drive-in movie, and so they obviously had to "write" a "movie" for them to be watching. It was a spy movie featuring Finn McMissile. The scene got cut but the team assigned to making the movie within the movie really, really wanted to still use their idea, and that became the basis of Cars 2. So while I'm sure there would have likely been a Cars 2 regardless because of how much money the toys make, at least it came from a real place with an actual story people were enthusiastic about making, and not some studio mandate that nobody wanted to work on.

Fun trivia: this is also how the WALL-E short BURN-E got made. One of the board artists or writers kept trying to put in a scene to show that after he got trapped outside the AXIOM, BURN-E was still ok. He was like obsessed with the idea that it never cuts back to BURN-E so we don't know what happened to him. And he kept bugging and bugging Andrew Stanton about putting in a quick scene to show BURN-E was ok, and eventually, Stanton told him to just make it the short for the DVD.

kswiston

the DM3 dance-off trailer has been in front of every film that I have taken my daughter to since Moana. I am very much looking forward to July, so that I never have to see it again.

Deadline dropped their weekend estimate for F8 from $38-39M to $37M, so I would guess that Friday is a bit under the $11M listed earlier. I think that their multiplier is too optimistic as well.

All of the openers are flopping. We might not see any of them over $5M.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
These two weeks are going to be so slow at the box office. Fate of the Furious will three-peat at #1 even if it has bad holds because there is nothing else out that people want to watch.

Boxoffice.com updated their long range forecast. They added the following films:

Cars 3 - $49M opening - $180M total
All Eyez On Me - $18M opening - $49M total
Rough Night - $25M opening - $80M total

Rough Night might have a rough opening weekend. Most of the twitter chatter I've seen about it takes offense to the "stripper dies by getting crushed by the fat girl" plot, and ScarJo might be damaged goods after Ghost in the Shell flopped.

kswiston

Heard F8 is the 4th highest grossing movie of all time in China right now. Does it have a chance to go higher on the list?

In local currency, it will probably end up as #2. In USD, either #2 or #3 depending on next weekend. The Mermaid is safe for the immediate future.

Friday Studio Estimates:

1) Fate of the Furious - $11.2M - $136M total
2) The Boss Baby - $3.2M - $128M total
3) Beauty and the Beast - $2.6M - $463M total

Unforgettable - $1.7M
Born in China - $1.6M
The Promise - $1.4M
Phoenix Forgotten - $675k

I don't know where Smurfs and Going in Style place to do the ranking beyond the first 3 for now.

EDIT: $772M for Fate of the Furious Worldwide as of last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom