• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap OT | What is The Secret of Your Power?

1upsuper

Is there a list of the QoL improvements and any added content? I don't recall there being
doors to refight bosses in the original, but I could be wrong.

Psxphile

Is there a list of the QoL improvements and any added content? I don't recall there being
doors to refight bosses in the original, but I could be wrong.
People are still finding them out, but you can count the Thunder Ring being a QoL improvement: originally it was another sword you had to equip every time you wanted to smash blocks. Wasn't even all that strong. Now the ability is passive.

Also the reworking of charm stones: originally you collected them from chests and enemy drops and you could have up to 99, they were used to gauge whether certain equipment in shops could be sold to you, so there were times where you had to grind in order to buy better equips. Now they're extremely limited, hidden within new "Unknown" areas and only unlock the one post-meta sword from that one shop in the underground (and apparently also let you re-fight bosses in the village). Possibly other stuff I'm not aware of.

Oh, and if you beat the final boss you can reload and play in your hu-man form. You didn't have that option before.

1upsuper

People are still finding them out, but you can count the Thunder Ring being a QoL improvement: originally it was another sword you had to equip every time you wanted to smash blocks. Wasn't even all that strong. Now the ability is passive.

Also the reworking of charm stones: originally you collected them from chests and enemy drops and you could have up to 99, they were used to gauge whether certain equipment in shops could be sold to you, so there were times where you had to grind in order to buy better equips. Now they're extremely limited, hidden within new "Unknown" areas and only unlock the one post-meta sword from that one shop in the underground (and apparently also let you re-fight bosses in the village). Possibly other stuff.

Oh, and if you beat the final boss you can reload and play in your hu-man form. You didn't have that option before.

Probably more stuff.

Those are pretty slick changes. Thanks!

Psxphile

Those are pretty slick changes. Thanks!

The original game had several hidden doors to secret shops and other goodies. There was no way to know if there was one unless you picked a spot and held UP to see if a door opens (or looked up their locations from a guide). The remake's new graphical backgrounds now sometimes contain clues that suggests there might be something there, whether it's a broken shop sign perilously hanging over empty space or in the way a wall's external makeup belies a familiar outline taking shape.

Luigiv

Just picked up the switch version and played about 15 minutes. Loving pretty much everything about this game. The art, the music, the way it seamlessly transitions between old and new and even the controls hold up really well (which I was a little worried about given the game's 8-bit origins).

LordKano

This is torture.
CQK4hKS.jpg

Skeletos311

This is torture.

I just kind of got lucky with the timing. You gotta get into a rhythm of pressing jump just as you bounce off the trampoline. The window to get the button press right is very small, so I just had to try over and over and hope for the best.

Freeman76

Im stuck as hawk man, i finished this game when it came out and for the life of me cant remember where you go. I managed to find the hidden area for him with the gem whilst looking though which was cool

WITHE1982

Vitet

In the original, you don't have to equip the sword, just have it in your inventary to break blocks. The rework is a good thing because it had no use other than just have it.

Also the reworking of charm stones: originally you collected them from chests and enemy drops and you could have up to 99, they were used to gauge whether certain equipment in shops could be sold to you, so there were times where you had to grind in order to buy better equips. Now they're extremely limited, hidden within new "Unknown" areas and only unlock the one post-meta sword from that one shop in the underground (and apparently also let you re-fight bosses in the village). Possibly other stuff I'm not aware of.

The stones main use was to teleport you back to the village. This is missing from the remake but now you can just exit to title and load a save and you will be back to the village.

Stealth-edit: I had the Game Gear version, and I just discovered that in this version the teleport function was added and the Charm Points system removed (that's what you mention about buying different things in relation of the number of stones you have)

Vitet

Speaking of handheld ... it's quite interesting to see how the Game Gear version differs due to its lower resolution :)

Okay, so that's why I found some places a bit strange and was even more confused when checking they were that way in the original too. I had the Game Gear version lol

cireza

Game Gear
Bz8Woea.png
I really love the work that was done for many ports on the Game Gear, always staying true to the original game, while making all the necessary visuals adjustments.

Game Gear Dragon's Trap is how I discovered the game.

sfried

Looks like I'll be able to rebuy this on Switch sooner than later

Was able to nab a console from AAFES this morning (^______^)

Enjoy a blissful handheld experience!

I should probably stop checking out this thread for a while. Too much getting spoiled!

Jazzem

Speaking of handheld ... it's quite interesting to see how the Game Gear version differs due to its lower resolution :)

Master System
I8lymf6.png

Game Gear
Bz8Woea.png

Wow that's really neat and quite clever on the dev's behalf, most console-handheld ports didn't go to that effort!

ggx2ac

Master System
I8lymf6.png

Game Gear
Bz8Woea.png

Now I can see why Ryuichi Nishizawa had to work on the Game Gear version of Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap.

This caused him to not be involved with Wonder Boy in Monster World at the time.

petrvs

Woudl you liek to see other classics underrgo the treatment graphics et c this has gone through?

If so which oneS?

deadfolk

Really silly question:

Lizardman shoots fire. You can buy swords that increase his attack.

So which of the following is true?

A) The swords increase the power of the fire attacks
B) There is a way to hit with the sword, which I'm stupidly missing
C) The swords actually do nothing for Lizardman, despite the descriptions in the shops
D) Something else I didn't think of because I'm at bit of a thickie.

bock

Really silly question:

Lizardman shoots fire. You can buy swords that increase his attack.

So which of the following is true?

A) The swords increase the power of the fire attacks
B) There is a way to hit with the sword, which I'm stupidly missing
C) The swords actually do nothing for Lizardman, despite the descriptions in the shops
D) Something else I didn't think of because I'm at bit of a thickie.

wHgwGEPl.png

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Woudl you liek to see other classics underrgo the treatment graphics et c this has gone through?

If so which oneS?
I'm sure plenty of people have already expressed interest in Alex Kidd in Miracle World getting this treatment but I would love to see Zillion get it.

Dremark

Banned
I'm sure plenty of people have already expressed interest in Alex Kidd in Miracle World getting this treatment but I would love to see Zillion get it.

I would love to see those two get similar treatment. AKiMW is one of the best games on the SMS and Zillion is another one of those games that were kind of ahead if thier time. Not sure how that would work with licencing though.

This seems to have taken them at least a couple of years, possibly more. They said the art alone took one year.

Plus they're still porting this to more platforms.

So Lizardcube's next game is probably a while away?

JonnyKong

Yo, sorry if this is a stupid question, but how do I get more hearts? Having only two seems so puny.

What I've done so far.. Entered the desert, killed the mummy dragon, turned into a mouse, now I'm in the jungle.

Fireblend

Banned
How do I get out of the room with the Muramasa blade? I'm the mouse and can't get out? The wall is made up of stars but I don't think I can interact with them in any way?

Edit: Nevermind, I'm being silly. I got the magical sword, not Muramasa.

ggx2ac

Yo, sorry if this is a stupid question, but how do I get more hearts? Having only two seems so puny.

What I've done so far.. Entered the desert, killed the mummy dragon, turned into a mouse, now I'm in the jungle.

Go to the other side of the pyramid in the desert.

Can someone explain to me what the Retro Password is for?

I'm loving this game. I'm a mouse right now and I'm grinding for money.

Fredrik

Just finished my first ever playthrough. What a wonderful game! It's been sheer joy playing it from the start to the very end, I'm definitely a nostalgic but I haven't played it before and yet this game managed to not only go right into my own heart but also my kids, can't praise it enough really :)
7:50 was my time, not 100-percented though.
And the ending credits and gallery :) It's really heart-warming to see the love that has been poured into this title. I really hope it sells well, especially on Switch because I want more games from these guys for Switch.

Time for a 100% run!

Fredrik

Can someone explain to me what the Retro Password is for?

I'm loving this game. I'm a mouse right now and I'm grinding for money.
If you have the Sega Master System game you can use the retro password there. And if you have the game on Sega Master System and an old password written down somewhere you can use that old password in this new game too. Pretty awesome!

If you have the Sega Master System game you can use the retro password there. And if you have the game on Sega Master System and an old password written down somewhere you can use that old password in this new game too. Pretty awesome!

Woah that's crazy! I actually don't have a SMS, but that's very cool. I just turned into Aqua Man.

Sh0k

I'm stuck, just turned into Piranha Man and I have no idea what to do.
I got to the beach but I have no clue how to move forward.

I'm stuck, just turned into Piranha Man and I have no idea what to do.
I got to the beach but I have no clue how to move forward.
I just turned into him and checked the waters.
i couldn't find any new paths at the beach. My guess is you have to go back to the dessert and go right instead of left.

That's my guess so far. I haven't checked it out.

Just saw a video of Fahey playing it. Game looked fun despite his incompetence with it. Might pick it up for Switch this weekend.

Sh0k

I just turned into him and checked the waters.
i couldn't find any new paths at the beach. My guess is you have to go back to the dessert and go right instead of left.

That's my guess so far. I haven't checked it out.

Trying that in a moment, thanks!

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I would love to see those two get similar treatment. AKiMW is one of the best games on the SMS and Zillion is another one of those games that were kind of ahead if thier time. Not sure how that would work with licencing though.
I had no idea what you meant so I looked it up and saw it was based on an anime series. I watched a bit on YT and saw that his gun was the SMS light phaser and I laughed.

So has anyone noticed HD rumble on switch version? It's pretty neat. Try jumping into lava with the sound off to really notice it. It feels like water splashing upwards. I assume it works in water too but haven't tried yet.

How do I change my character? I tried to go change my character and it looks like I might've messed up....

im the mouse and I can't get to the door to turn to piranha man

Never mind...I found something lol

Rodin

I'm at the point where you get the sword that
can create blocks and i have to figure out where to go next.

This is easily the second best Switch game, my favorite metroidvania since maybe Cave Story, my third favorite game of the year until now and one of the best looking games ever. When i started it i was like "eh it's good, looks beautiful but maybe it really aged a lot"

Nope. It's incredibile. And i kinda wanna punch those who were shitting on the music lol

Sh0k

So I went that way...let me know if you find anything or if that was the correct way.

I went that way too,
found a bracelet that allows you to break some blocks and found a platform that let's you change between the Dragon, Mouse and Piranha, but I have no clue what to do next.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
The final boss is curbstomping me. Ugh.

The Brazil from two decades ago is laughing at me right now in a parallel dimension.

If so which oneS?

I don't know if it's because I just got done listening to a podcast dedicated to it featuring the 8-4 guys, but I can't stop thinking about how awesome a Zelda II getting this same treatment (even similar art would be fine tbh) would be.

Makai

If so which oneS?
Yes, especially with the realtime switching of graphics. I wish they did that for audio too. Probably Startropics

Top Bottom