• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap OT | What is The Secret of Your Power?

Woudl you liek to see other classics underrgo the treatment graphics et c this has gone through?

If so which oneS?
Playing this game (which is fantastic combination of updated art and sound and classic gameplay) has made me really want this done for Faxanadu. It's a similar game and it would be so great to see that done in this style. Imagine remastered music from that game?

me0wish

Thank you guys for making me not skip the game (especially ggx2ac), I'm loving it a lot so far. I can't imagine fans of the originals not tearing up when playing this remake, it's wonderful.

I just wish hard mode didn't have a counter, it's really annoying an discourages exploration.

sfried

So has anyone noticed HD rumble on switch version? It's pretty neat. Try jumping into lava with the sound off to really notice it. It feels like water splashing upwards. I assume it works in water too but haven't tried yet.

I've been noticing it when playing the game in handheld mode (which is very frequently as of late). The sensations are on point.

orient

Neo Member
I'm finding this really interesting to play because I had a SMS as a kid and loved the original Wonder Boy, and I've owned the original Wonder Boy III for a long time but never really played it.

I've just turned into Piranha Man and I'm loving it so far. The new graphics and sound are incredible and really make the experience. The different forms are really fun, and the hub-based layout is relatively simple but much more interesting than if it were a linear, level-based thing.

I actually picked up a boxed Master System 1 last week to replace my Master System 2 (with the idea of finally playing Phantasy Star):

z9Lhxm8.jpg

yGpfcQs.jpg

Do any SMS experts out there know exactly how old this would be? I thought the first-run systems came with those controllers with detachable sticks that screwed into the D-pad (but I could be wrong)? The boot screen says 1.3, which I believe is the first commercial BIOS?

bumpkin

The
samurai castle
area is killing me...

I finally got through it after milking the shit out of a boomerang, only to get to a boss with no potions left and I couldn't land a single hit before dying. I got there in
mouse
form, but I've seen some people say that they played through that section as
the lion
. My first question is how/where do I get
the lion form
? And my second question is how the hell do I hurt the
Daimyo Dragon
?

ggx2ac

The
samurai castle
area is killing me... I finally got through it after milking the shit out of a boomerang, only to get to a boss with no potions left and I couldn't land a single hit before dying. I got there in
mouse
form, but I've seen some people say that they played through that section as
the lion
. My first question is how/where do I get
the lion form
? And my second question is how the hell do I hurt the boss?

Piranha form, go to the beach,
go underwater, you should see blocks to break that will lead you to the underwater ship.

Daimyo Dragon: Just wait for it to get close to you,
jump up and hit.

1upsuper

are we making spoiler posts for master system games?
haha wow

This remake is introducing a lot of new players to Dragon's Trap, and they obviously don't want objective spoilers. It's not like we're spoiling an old movie. Context is key.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
This remake is introducing a lot of new players to Monster World, and they obviously don't want objective spoilers. It's not like we're spoiling an old movie. Context is key.
hey go ahead m8 sometimes the journey is more interesting as the end

The scanline options and CRT TV filter you can toggle from the options screen while in retro mode are amazing. Kinda wish I'd stumbled upon them earlier. Usually not a fan of those effects, but Lizardcube really nailed it.

Completed the game in about six hours or so; took my time admiring everything and trying to find some of the new secrets. Absolutely fantastic stuff.

Seriously hope they can find a publisher for a physical release, I'd love to have a Switch cart to sit on my shelf next to the original Master System game.

Psxphile

Why did I never realize the Sphinx room was made up of breakable blocks...

edit: oh god there's even a hidden door shortcut to just before the Mummy Dragon's lair...
and you can refight it... super easy though with end-game equips
he turned me into a mouse again, lol

EDIT: so you can just keep fighting him over and over again, nice. goes down in two hits with the Legendary Sword.
guess that means you can refight the other dragons too, but for what purpose?

Psxphile

It's hard to notice if it's not in retro mode.

But I noticed it in "remake" mode, the blocks are more discernible with the little added details... but well, had I been playing in retro mode and returned to the Sphinx room I might have noticed it then too.

The new visuals don't obscure the secret of the sphinx treasure room at all, but you normally wouldn't think twice about it. It's a smart little thing.

Psxphile

Looking over the Gallery, I noticed several illustrations with golden-haired Bocke and I'm left wondering why they went with SMS/GG's green. Why was it even green in the first place?

ggx2ac

The new visuals don't obscure the secret of the sphinx treasure room at all, but you normally wouldn't think twice about it. It's a smart little thing.

I was able to notice the blocks in the sphinx, but I didn't notice them for a long time in the village where the transformation room is.

I remembered it had to be somewhere there but I couldn't notice it with the new visuals.

liquidtmd

Banned
I actually picked up a boxed Master System 1 last week to replace my Master System 2 (with the idea of finally playing Phantasy Star):

z9Lhxm8.jpg

yGpfcQs.jpg

Do any SMS experts out there know exactly how old this would be? I thought the first-run systems came with those controllers with detachable sticks that screwed into the D-pad (but I could be wrong)? The boot screen says 1.3, which I believe is the first commercial BIOS?

Nice find!

How rare are Master Systems in fairly ok condition these days?

And also - do we have any indications of how the game is performing sales wise? Over expectation? Curious. Bock, can you shed any insight?

IrishNinja

this game is the truth, i'm actually happy i didn't finish it on SMS just to do so here!

i adore the ability to not only flip graphics on the fly (a la Monkey Island HD) but FX/etc. god, talk about starting out with a masterpiece! i'm in for this dude's next game day 1.

z9Lhxm8.jpg

yGpfcQs.jpg

i haven't seen this since like...a kid at christmas '86 (i was 7, it was for my older brother)

goddamn, this takes me back. well done man!

Cerium

Nice find!

And also - do we have any indications of how the game is performing sales wise? Over expectation? Curious. Bock, can you shed any insight?

It's #3 on the NA eShop right now and has room to get to #2 imo (at this rate Snipperclips will never be dethroned here).

I've seen many reports of it being #1 in various European countries.

The creators will be doing an AMA on /r/NintendoSwitch in a couple days and I'm sure someone will ask about sales. I expect it's done really well on Switch.

IrishNinja

It's #3 on the NA eShop right now and has room to get to #2 imo (at this rate Snipperclips will never be dethroned here).

I've seen many reports of it being #1 in various European countries.

The creators will be doing an AMA on /r/NintendoSwitch in a couple days and I'm sure someone will ask about sales.

as someone who adores the SMS & dove in tonight: this makes me so happy <3

i really hope they clinch it, it's well deserved! also, is your avy from MV4? anyway, back to the game!

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Its fun flipping through to the retro graphics to see how they reinterpret a scene aswell as the music, a lot of the music changes are for the better th I sometimes I actually forget I have retro music playing for long periods and then flip to the high quality soundtrack and I'm like "oh yeah" the newer soundtrack sounds phenomenal by the way the old one already sounded good

orient

Neo Member
Nice find!

It was #1 on the Australian chart when I checked last night.

Master System 2s are absolutely everywhere here but this is the only original one I've seen in the wild for years, though I don't go to retro shops all that often (because there aren't many near me).

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Yeah it's like the prettiest 2D game I've ever seen! And it's definitely not a 7 hour game for me, I often just stop and look at the art instead of playing lol, it's sooo good. I love the look of the big grassy field area, the devs must be Amiga 500 Shadow of the Beast fans, it's very similar in style with the crazy parallax scrolling and mountains.
Yes the art is amazing, like holy shit

So much this. This is how you do a HD remake. Wish this much care was applied to that Street Fighter 2 HD Remix that is about to be resold to us as Ultra Street Fighter 2, those Udon sprites and background art are awful, and the redone music is just okay.

well to be fair, HD remix music were all done by fan from OCremix, and i think it's great! Sure it's not the same quality a real instrument recorded in studio, but it's still nice

Dremark

Banned
I had no idea what you meant so I looked it up and saw it was based on an anime series. I watched a bit on YT and saw that his gun was the SMS light phaser and I laughed.

Yes, the product placement is quite amusing.

I think it was some sort of a co-production as the light gun and Opa-Opa from Fantasy Zone are in it so maybe Sega retains the rights to make games of it. Hard to really say though, but either way I'd be thrilled if it got revisited.

Branduil

I don't know if it's because I just got done listening to a podcast dedicated to it featuring the 8-4 guys, but I can't stop thinking about how awesome a Zelda II getting this same treatment (even similar art would be fine tbh) would be.

Hopefully they would also fix the save system like they did with this.

Firebrand

this game is the truth, i'm actually happy i didn't finish it on SMS just to do so here!

i adore the ability to not only flip graphics on the fly (a la Monkey Island HD) but FX/etc. god, talk about starting out with a masterpiece! i'm in for this dude's next game day 1.

i haven't seen this since like...a kid at christmas '86 (i was 7, it was for my older brother)

goddamn, this takes me back. well done man!

We got ours in '89 I think, no bundled game cards, just Hang-On and Snail-Maze built-in. I'm guessing the bundle above must have been a year or two before then. Haven't seen the actual box in a long time, and I can only can find one controller now, with its D-pad is busted, and the RF-switch is not working either I think.

Pretty sure it was Christmas 1989, as the first game we played on it? Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap!

I'm finding this really interesting to play because I had a SMS as a kid and loved the original Wonder Boy, and I've owned the original Wonder Boy III for a long time but never really played it.

I've just turned into Piranha Man and I'm loving it so far. The new graphics and sound are incredible and really make the experience. The different forms are really fun, and the hub-based layout is relatively simple but much more interesting than if it were a linear, level-based thing.

z9Lhxm8.jpg

yGpfcQs.jpg

I've got the same :) Thought it was thrown away but my brother took it. Box got wet though so the cardboard looks bad, but he Master System still rocks. Bought an RGB cable months ago and the difference is amazing ( the system supports RGB which is great ). Spending hours playing old games with my kids my my eyes kinda wet. Good times and dem memories playing Castle of Illusion etc. At first they were like 'wtf at those graphics' but once in the games... they would not quit :) good old arcade action never gets old &#128521; I think I got it in '88 for Xmas.

I really have to say, Lizardcube did an amazing job on this game. I was actually first exposed to this as Dragon's Curse (TG-16) on the Wii VC, and I fell in love with the addictive, satisfying gameplay of that version. I only learned of this remake fairly recently and got it on the Switch, having just finished Blaster Master Zero. It is extremely polished, with great graphics, animation and music. It also looks great in portable mode - anyone who is on the fence shouldn't hesitate to get it. The options for retro visuals and music (which are easily toggled!) are just icing on the cake. Stellar effort, I can't wait for whatever else they have planned for the future.

Even if you have no nostalgia for any of the original releases, I would highly recommend this. After all, I first played it on the Wii VC and loved it!

SkylineRKR

Lizardcube should remaster Sonic and I'm serious.

The physics and controls of this are spot on, which are the main issue with the modern Sonic attempts. Yet the remastered graphics of WB are beautiful and the feeling is completely there. This is a perfect remaster, I can't find any issue with it.

catmincer

So I really wanted to play this again and I am glad I did. I was so overwhelmed at how good it is and it improves on an already great game. The XB1 version was delayed so I ended up buying a PS4 to play this. &#128514;

Vargavinter

Soooo waiting for the PC-version. I warms my heart seeing all the new people playing it fore the first time and enjoying it. <3

Top Bottom