• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap OT | What is The Secret of Your Power?

Cerium

For the new page:

Penny Arcade said:
i-7RmvDr4-2100x20000.jpg

I’m still on the prowl for a Switch, so I can’t speak to it personally, but Grabe is having a premium experience with the new Wonder Boy. That just which just reinforces two things I thought already: one, I need to steal a Switch from one of the other people here, and two, that a lot of the stuff I’m going to like best for it isn’t going to be on a cartridge. I guess this all leads into a corollary, or maybe even a Point Three, where if you don’t have a plump SD card slotted in that thing it’s entirely possible that ur doin it rong.
Game is getting a lot of mainstream attention.

black_clavus

Neo Member
I got stuck in mouse form, after got
Thunder Ring
and seems I can't go anywhere plus can't go back to change my form too, where I should go?

Amalthea

Banned
I got stuck in mouse form, after got
Thunder Ring
and seems I can't go anywhere plus can't go back to change my form too, where I should go?
Assuming that you are back in town again;
there's a block in the house where you go to the beach area wich spanwns a door after breaking it with the thunder ring. It leads to a Transformation Room. With the mouse you can also break the blocks briding the water next to the tower in the town.
EDIT: Beaten

Mouse man stone just broke me. Why all of a sudden are the blocks he sticks to.. slippery as fuck? I feel like it'd make more sense if the single blocks you have to jump on were a different material. Also I feel like a helpless pinball everytime I fall into the screen below and get swarmed by all the enemies.

bock

Mouse man stone just broke me. Why all of a sudden are the blocks he sticks to.. slippery as fuck? I feel like it'd make more sense if the single blocks you have to jump on were a different material. Also I feel like a helpless pinball everytime I fall into the screen below and get swarmed by all the enemies.

The material doesn't change the physics unless you attempt to stick to it. The truth is, there no reason to stick to any of those single blocks, so the fact that they are mouse-blocks is misleading more than anything. Just running and jumping without stopping makes it much easier. It was made to be an all running course for the first half. Of course you need to stick to the ceiling and vertical ones at the end.

If you try to do it slowly it is going to be much more difficult.

LordKano

The material doesn't change the physics unless you attempt to stick to it. The truth is, there no reason to stick to any of those single blocks, so the fact that they are mouse-blocks is misleading more than anything. Just running and jumping without stopping makes it much easier. It was made to be an all running course for the first half. Of course you need to stick to the ceiling and vertical ones at the end.

If you try to do it slowly it is going to be much more difficult.

Yeah I also realized that after spending 10 minutes with only a few runs. Just in case to be sure I still sticked to two blocs in order to kill the bats (even though I knew I could jump ahead of them, just to be sure) but otherwise the whole thing is supposed to be done fast.

The most stressing part is the last one, where you have the vertical blocs and you need to not spam the direction button to not un-stick yourself.

StayDead

Yeah I also realized that after spending 10 minutes with only a few runs. Just in case to be sure I still sticked to two blocs in order to kill the bats (even though I knew I could jump ahead of them, just to be sure) but otherwise the whole thing is supposed to be done fast.

The most stressing part is the last one, where you have the vertical blocs and you need to not spam the direction button to not un-stick yourself.

I spent so long doing that damn area. As soon as I learnt just running through it at speed helped, I did it first time. (I wasn't sticking to anything, just taking it jump by jump)

I kept not getting enough momentum on one of the springs to make it to one of the last single blocks. It was infuriating haha.

At least you can't really die in that area.

SkylineRKR

Did all charm stones. First did human as I entered the house. Was kind of annoying but beat it. Then looked it up and Hu-Man was supposed to be the hardest. Then I did the Mouse, the jumping section is kind of brutal but I launched a boomerang mid air to kill the bats. The hardest part is falling down onto the block, and then the 2 springs though you can kill the enemy by staying on the first spring and shoot an arrow, or use lightning if you have it. The part after it wasn't hard I thought.

If you've done these 2 however, the others are a joke. Though the Lizard might've taken me the longest because I saw no logic in the block puzzle. I kept leaving and entering. But it seems luck will get you through there.

I don't think they're good though. With the end game armor you can endure the torrents for days but there is little use for the reward left.

Farmboy

If you've done these 2 however, the others are a joke. Though the Lizard might've taken me the longest because I saw no logic in the block puzzle. I kept leaving and entering. But it seems luck will get you through there.

There's a method to the Lizard one. You need to keep one block per platform and it has to be the left block for the second platform from the left, but it's possible to time that, waiting on the spring before it and making sure to start moving right while descending.

Of course, there's and easy trick as well. Hint:
your head-butt does as much damage to blocks as your sword
. Spoiler:
Equip the magic sword and you won't break any blocks with your head

I don't think they're good though. With the end game armor you can endure the torrents for days but there is little use for the reward left.

That's just a consequence of being able to tackle them early or late. They're really hard when you stumble upon them early, really easy when you do them purely post-game (except the Hu-man one since you can only do that one post-game).

Will say the mouse one almost broke me as well. But it would have surely broken me had I attempted it earlier, when dying would have been an option as well.

SkylineRKR

nice, I didn't think of that at all. That pretty much trivializes the whole thing.

Even if you do them early, you need all of them for the reward. Which is post-game still. So there just isn't any use for it afaik.

AGoodODST

Finished this last night. Final boss was a pain
until I realised you can hit the face on his mid section.

A pretty fun game if a little simple and easy (at least on normal). The only part I had trouble was trying to do Lion Man's section as Mouse Man. Finish time clocked in at a little over four hours with a few pieces of equipment missing. The only secret room I completed was the Mouse one though.

Pretty cool game that I think I will replay on hard through the summer.

Farmboy

nice, I didn't think of that at all. That pretty much trivializes the whole thing.

Even if you do them early, you need all of them for the reward. Which is post-game still. So there just isn't any use for it afaik.

No, you can get the reward without the Hu-man one. So it's possible to use the reward in the final section.

orient

Neo Member
Are the stone challenges new to the remake? I know you need
stones to puchase the mystery item, but unless it's something incredible(?) I probably won't bother.

I've only found Hawk-man's challenge so far and died on my first try. To be honest, I haven't found the game particularly difficult up until this point, but now that I'm hitting the Hawk-man-required areas things are spicing up. I'm guessing it's because I'm near the end.

I did find the
legendary gear in the castle but I think the Muramasa sword is more powerful than the legendary one, at least for the forms I tested.

Dingo Bonecrush

Neo Member
I did find the
legendary gear in the castle but I think the Muramasa sword is more powerful than the legendary one, at least for the forms I tested.

I'm pretty sure that the
Muramasa Sword is only more powerful for the Lion-Man, the rest of the forms should use the Legendary Sword.

AEREC

Finished the story last night on normal at 7 something hours, but still need to go back and find all the secrets.

I'm also eager to jump in on hard with Wonder Girl.

What a great game. Hope this remake is successful and the devs can make a new entry in the series with modern gameplay elements. I also have no nostalgia for this series and still thought it was great.

sfried

Now that Wonder Boy "3" got remade, what are the chances of us getting another remake from the same series? Perhaps Wonder Boy in Monster Land? Or maybe have Monster World IV by LizardCube?

Cerium

Now that Wonder Boy "3" got remade, what are the chances of us getting another remake from the same series? Perhaps Wonder Boy in Monster Land? Or maybe have Monster World IV by LizardCube?

If I were Nintendo I would contract them for, I dunno, Kid Icarus or something.

Phatcorns

I gave this game a chance because I saw my life in gaming talk about it on their stream and happy console gamer is always talking about this series as well. I'm super impressed! I had no idea they even made games this cool for the master system. I love the updated art and the music is actually what sold me on the purchase in the end. Really great game and I think I'm on the last dungeon, it's pretty hard but I really like the difficulty ramp up.

kbohs

If I were Nintendo I would contract them for, I dunno, Kid Icarus or something.

Punch-Out!! would be my pick. I think the thing that is so impressive about this remake isn't the improved visuals or music (although those are really, really awesome) but that the core gameplay and world design holds up so well even with no nostalgia. In my opinion Punch-Out's gameplay similarly holds up and is still unique in that it's essentially a puzzle boxing game. Add to this the fact that the graphics and music of Punch-Out are both still great so ability to swap between new and retro modes would be even more appealing than it is in Wonder Boy (I rarely played with the retro graphics, the music holds up better though). The large sprites would also allow Lizardcube's artists to add significant detail without altering the core game underneath the beautiful presentation.

The Boat

So after finding
that place after the lava where you change forms for the first time
, I exited and quit the game accidentally. Now I'm stuck as mouse-man in the middle of the city, tried everything, don't know what to do. Am I stuck?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Finally took down the last boss. Oof!

Managed to grab all 6 stones as well.

How Hard is Hard Mode? Will the WEST-whatever cheat code work for the Trophy? :p

Phexe

Neo Member
I'm super impressed! I had no idea they even made games this cool for the master system.

The Master System actually has a really great library of games (in PAL territories) that all work fine in NTSC systems with full fps. I hope things like this show other awesome MS games, like Miracle Warriors, Psycho Fox, Golvelius, Golden Axe Warrior, Sonic 2, etc

Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap is still one of my fav games of all time and I'm over the moon more people get to experience it now :D

RoadDogg

Finally beat it. Took about 4.5 hours. One of which was probably grinding for coins. I've tried playing this at least a dozen times over the years but never made it far. The new art work did wonders for the playabilty. It feels so much more fluid and easier to land hits. It is crazy to think it is just overlayed on the original game.

What do the stones do? I found 2 and see some kind of mystery item in a shop that says I need a
charm
for it? Is it worth getting this stuff?

Doorman

Having finished Mouse-Man's unknown area...

...if I never played as Mouse-Man again it would be all too soon. Fuck him and his tiny-ass sword hitbox.

Doorman

Okay so...that was interesting.

Going through the Underground as mouse-man, I got caught in a particularly annoying area where several enemies were all trying to batter me around all at the same time, and.....suddenly I get the lightning effect and transform into Piranha Man instead, just in the middle of the field. As far as I can tell nothing in specific caused it, it certainly wasn't something I did manually or intentionally. Just went through that area again and nothing.

Was it just a glitch? Weird. I would have liked hanging on to that form for doing the temple but now it's back to crappy mouse-man instead. Sigh.

ggx2ac

Okay so...that was interesting.

Going through the Underground as mouse-man, I got caught in a particularly annoying area where several enemies were all trying to batter me around all at the same time, and.....suddenly I get the lightning effect and transform into Piranha Man instead, just in the middle of the field. As far as I can tell nothing in specific caused it, it certainly wasn't something I did manually or intentionally. Just went through that area again and nothing.

Was it just a glitch? Weird. I would have liked hanging on to that form for doing the temple but now it's back to crappy mouse-man instead. Sigh.

Are you using the Tasmanian Sword?

thatJohann

Any tips on how to beat the last boss? I think I'm at the last boss. Playing on easy and still getting my ass kicked.
playing as hawkman. Is final boss called vampire something and has two faces? One in belly and one in head? How to beat him? Stuck

Top Bottom