• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WTF is going on with FF Type-0?

Aeana

Okay this is interesting:

For the first part, I had that impression based on the game itself, but the second part is news to me. What does it mean by heavy encryption?

I assume it has to do with hacking. In that case, it's irrelevant, since localization programmers would have the game code.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Okay this is interesting:

For the first part, I had that impression based on the game itself, but the second part is news to me. What does it mean by heavy encryption?

Birth by Sleep Final Mix was easily translated do to standard encryption however Type 0 has a heavy encryption where basically every file is encrypted one after another.

And even the best have not been able to break it, therefore unlike BBS hackers could not retrieve a text dump, instead a majority of files were compiled as IMG files. Which I find rather odd.

But you have to wonder. If you know your game is likely to be pirated, why go the extra mile?

Aeana

Birth by Sleep Final Mix was easily translated do to standard encryption however Type 0 has a heavy encryption where basically every file is encrypted one after another.

And even the best have not been able to break it, therefore unlike BBS hackers could not retrieve a text dump, instead a majority of files were compiled as IMG files. Which I find rather odd.

There's a Chinese fan translation available for Type-0, so presumably someone broke it.

Mileena

Banned
That was sarcasm. Cod Blops 2/10 for Vita isn't really anything big, and a dumb idea to pay money for. FF Type-0 International would be a good game that would sell worldwide.

and Sony might still have an ounce of dignity left too

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
There's a Chinese fan translation available for Type-0, so presumably someone broke it.

Perhaps, or perhaps it was only partially broken. And it would not support text, as opposed to kanji. I had known of a full chinese translation but not much was heard of ever again regarding it.

Aeana

Perhaps, or perhaps it was only partially broken. And it would not support text, as opposed to kanji.

I'm afraid that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. "Kanji" isn't the same in Japanese as it is in Chinese, and text in a game is just bytes regardless of what those bytes represent. They had to be able to dump and re-insert text, and they also had to be able to edit the font to insert Chinese characters. So with the progress that the Chinese group made, at the bare minimum you would have support for double-byte characters, which can include the Latin alphabet as well (and certainly does, as Type-0 uses Latin letters in the script several times).

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I'm afraid that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. "Kanji" isn't the same in Japanese as it is in Chinese, and text in a game is just bytes regardless of what those bytes represent. They had to be able to dump and re-insert text, and they also had to be able to edit the font to insert Chinese characters. So with the progress that the Chinese group made, at the bare minimum you would have support for double-byte characters, which can include the Latin alphabet as well (and certainly does, as Type-0 uses Latin letters in the script several times).

You're probably right. I know this guy who attempted it, said there were various language scripts packed in there, so all the stuff was there, and I guess the Chinese figured it out but he was not able to.

Toth

You're probably right. I know this guy who attempted it, said there were various language scripts packed in there, so all the stuff was there, and I guess the Chinese figured it out but he was not able to.

So is there any hope for an english translation then...?

SteaG

But you have to wonder. If you know your game is likely to be pirated, why go the extra mile?
Hey, we're talking about Square Enix :). They can be just a little bit excessive on piracy protection : online DRM on the Final Fantasy 7 PC rerelease, Chaos Rings malfunction on rooted Android devices, etc.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
So is there any hope for an english translation then...?

Other then a fan translation? Not likely. I know nothing about encryption. The last thing I heard about this guy was something about needing insight about MIPS Assembly Code or something.

A fan translation is the best I can slowly offer, and even then I'm not even a translator, I just help out.

Aeana

I hadn't really gone looking for screenshots of the Chinese translation, but I'm pretty impressed.

ZdNQf.jpg
UjLiJ.jpg

GEqzJ.jpg
95wmJ.jpg

They did a pretty good job with the hacking. I wouldn't mind giving this version a play.

Toth

Other then a fan translation? Not likely. I know nothing about encryption. The last thing I heard about this guy was something about needing insight about MIPS Assembly Code or something.

A fan translation is the best I can slowly offer, and even then I'm not even a translator, I just help out.

Once that is figured out though, I imagine a patch would happen quickly given that a lot of the game has already been translated offline by the team at gamefaqs.

Vamphuntr

I hadn't really gone looking for screenshots of the Chinese translation, but I'm pretty impressed.

[img.]http://i.imgur.com/ZdNQf.jpg[/img] [.img]http://i.imgur.com/UjLiJ.jpg[/img]
[img.]http://i.imgur.com/GEqzJ.jpg[/img] [.img]http://i.imgur.com/95wmJ.jpg[/img]

They did a pretty good job with the hacking. I wouldn't mind giving this version a play.

Haha so much for the unbreakable encryption. Looks really nice. I googled it too and it seems it's version 2.0 already.

So Kagari did you enjoy the clicks :p

Famassu

But you knew it wasn't something big...:'(
They said it was something interesting. There were some interesting tidbits in there (like it sounds Sony hasn't been interested in helping SQEX come to a working solution), even if it was mostly a repeat of what many of us have been thinking/saying (localization was being worked on, SQEX PSP games sold like crap and 3DS & Vita's first years were really, really bad, they stopped with it to figure out how to bring it over).

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Is there a website or are you still operating out of Gamefaqs?

Due to the group of delinquents on lamefaqs we became more recluse(doesn't stop me from being a jerk back to em), we have a current inactive Tumblr page however.

The only thing that one of us completed was a english summary of the official novels.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
The former of which was actually at one time announced for localization... then nothing ;-;

And Tabata expressed interest in remaking that possibly.

But...even the great FFVII could not overcome that obstacle far before the coming of fanbase division.

You would think BC as an iOS title would make sense now more then ever...wasn't Tabata's expression for redoing it for the 3DS or simply a handheld.

I know Tabata is a fan of Vita and is confident that he can do good for it, if anyone will let him.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
I've been wanting to try the chinese translation for a long time (they can range from being "really quite good" to "these sentences just sound weird") but as much as I like the game I really don't want to play it on my psp with one analog stick again now that I have my Vita as an option.And I remember being a bit confused by the patching instructions because the patches seem to be for the one iso version that pirates used (basically they combined disc 1 and 2 into a single image).

As far as i know, these chinese translation groups really know their encryption and translate really fast sometimes. They were really good for those DS games that never got translated. I think they also have the Sora no Kiseki PSP games in chinese by ripping the text from the PC versions and inserting into the PSP isos. So if you can't learn Japanese, the alternative is to learn Mandarin :p

Even the official Chinese translation provided by Sony HK come quite quickly these days compared to English localisation. They've been helping SE with Dissidia 012, FFIII PSP and the FFXIII games. And Persona 4 The Golden had its chinese release months ago. Makes me wonder whether SE ever considered getting Sony to help release a Chinese subbed version of Type 0. They don't do Chinese dubs so I supposed that cuts off quite a bit of work already.

EDIT:

I did a search and it seems like the group that released the chinese translation is called ACG汉化组. Most of the sites that have their details tend to contain things like ISOs and scans so I can't post them here. The only legal avenue to possibly contact them is through the China equvalent of Twitter i.e. Weibo.

http://www.weibo.com/acghh

Also it seem like they've just finished a chinese translation of The Last Ranker. And Ni no Kuni DS.

CorvoSol

Or 3rd birthday - or Dissidia duodecim...

I bought all those games!

Due to the group of delinquents on lamefaqs we became more recluse(doesn't stop me from being a jerk back to em), we have a current inactive Tumblr page however.

The only thing that one of us completed was a english summary of the official novels.

You really gotta ditch that board, man. Type-0 board on GameFAQs is less than a shadow of a sliver of itself these days. All anybody does there is whine about bygone drama for the translation. Nobody even talks about the game there anymore.

And big surprise at the Operation Suzaku thing being nothing. But then, I think we all expected it to be.

MechaX

You really gotta ditch that board, man. Type-0 board on GameFAQs is less than a shadow of a sliver of itself these days. All anybody does there is whine about bygone drama for the translation. Nobody even talks about the game there anymore.

To be fair, that goes for a majority of GameFAQs boards with un-translated games like this. I think only the Front Mission community (which was mostly based on GameFAQs) really started to get things done (FM5 translation and the close-to-completion FM2 translation).

Eusis

That was sarcasm. Cod Blops 2/10 for Vita isn't really anything big, and a dumb idea to pay money for. FF Type-0 International would be a good game that would sell worldwide.
Well, I imagine CoD BLOPS 2 would've worked great if they had done a Wii version this year rather than Wii U, because scale up that Wii version some for Vita with PS3 stuff and you probably would have had a mind blowing handheld title, even if it's the same as the console CoD games. As is, yeah, going for FF Type-0 international would've done more good, at worst they firmly solidify the base that probably stayed behind the PSP most reliably.

Ah well, at least Assassin's Creed seemed to match the level of quality we best could've hoped for, definitely want to check that out eventually. $40 too, making the Declassified thing even more pathetic.

Aeana

I've been wanting to try the chinese translation for a long time (they can range from being "really quite good" to "these sentences just sound weird") but as much as I like the game I really don't want to play it on my psp with one analog stick again now that I have my Vita as an option.And I remember being a bit confused by the patching instructions because the patches seem to be for the one iso version that pirates used (basically they combined disc 1 and 2 into a single image).

As far as i know, these chinese translation groups really know their encryption and translate really fast sometimes. They were really good for those DS games that never got translated. I think they also have the Sora no Kiseki PSP games in chinese by ripping the text from the PC versions and inserting into the PSP isos. So if you can't learn Japanese, the alternative is to learn Mandarin :p

Even the official Chinese translation provided by Sony HK come quite quickly these days compared to English localisation. They've been helping SE with Dissidia 012, FFIII PSP and the FFXIII games. And Persona 4 The Golden had its chinese release months ago. Makes me wonder whether SE ever considered getting Sony to help release a Chinese subbed version of Type 0. They don't do Chinese dubs so I supposed that cuts off quite a bit of work already.

EDIT:

I did a search and it seems like the group that released the chinese translation is called ACG汉化组. Most of the sites that have their details tend to contain things like ISOs and scans so I can't post them here. The only legal avenue to possibly contact them is through the China equvalent of Twitter i.e. Weibo.

Also it seem like they've just finished a chinese translation of The Last Ranker. And Ni no Kuni DS.

If you're able to speak Chinese, it'd be helpful if you could assist with the asking.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

EDIT:

Got your pm. I found the page in question. I'm too shy to register and ask for stuff though, I don't want to use google translate and possibly convey a confused message.

Google translated page for their release page on it: http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&ei=0Y-lUPX1A6n0iwKm2IGADw&hl=en&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhttp://zt.tgbus.com/acghh/%2Btype%2B0%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3DCaB%26tbo%3Dd%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=zh-CN&twu=1&u=http://zt.tgbus.com/acghh/Work/2012/01/18/13461432787.shtml&usg=ALkJrhj5i6xcFrKFIS20KM-YOZkaW30Nwg

And big surprise at the Operation Suzaku thing being nothing. But then, I think we all expected it to be.

Makes it less boring for me. I'm known for being resilient when it comes to cesspool forums.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
If you're able to speak Chinese, it'd be helpful if you could assist with the asking.

Hmm...I do speak/understand/read Chinese but writing to them it might be a bit of a problem. Especially if its more technical terms like encryption and stuff. It's a kind of weirdness that seems endemic of my fellow countrymen. We have people who get As for their Chinese exams but can't converse in daily life.

CorvoSol

ZdNQf.jpg
UjLiJ.jpg

GEqzJ.jpg
95wmJ.jpg

Freaking game is beautiful. So glad I imported it. Love Type-0 to bits and pieces.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Got your pm. I found the page in question. I'm too shy to register and ask for stuff though, I don't want to use google translate and possibly convey a confused message.

I'll look through the page and forum to see if there's anyway to contact anyone. I saw two email addresses but they're for people who want to submit their answers to some tests to see if they're good enough to join their group and those hasn't been updated for 3 years. Their main page has a list of people and their ID (I assume their forum IDs) and there is someone with the title of "decryption leader". The time is their search seems to be down so I can't search for that particular user. And the page for their group members hasn't been updated for 2 years so it might have changed.

Then there's my shitty Chinese communication skills lol... When it comes to typing/writing.

CorvoSol

I should replay it sometime.
As Kurasame of course. Ha ha.

I've played it four times. If I play it again, it's
L'Cie mode
the whole way through. It's pretty, fun, exactly what I wanted from the FNC and my God the soundtrack!

Square makes good games still, they just all are on handhelds.

AFAIK a PS3 release wasn't considered. SCEA are still allowing even UMD PSP releases so why would they block Type-0?
Late reply but it took me a while to come in off the ledge :(

My only theory about this is it was a dispute over publishing. If Sony didn't want to publish (and with current PSP sales it's hard to argue) and SE also refused that's most likely where things broke down.

That doesn't mean that it's impossible that another publisher might step in but PSN was really the best bet and even that looks unlikely now :'(

In regards to my comment about you getting inside info, I got completely confused because the original poster for this "news" linked it under "kagari, why must you tease us on Twiiter" and I thought it was your bombshell. simple mistake.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Wait this is a thing? Why didn't you tell me this before?!

I'm this close to importing the budget version for that reason alone.

Normally no.
Custom Firmware and CWCHEAT has it's uses. Like Odin on World Map. Or infinite summon time. :D

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
I've found the user on the forum but i can't use their PM function because that forum uses a complicated point/level system and I don't have PM rights...So much for typing out in chinese...

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I've found the user on the forum but i can't use their PM function because that forum uses a complicated point/level system and I don't have PM rights...So much for typing out in chinese...

I guess the only way to communicate is in a active thread where said user is actively posting or say tough luck chuck.

You tried. That's all that matters.

Toth

The thing to be taken away though is that the encryption can be broken so it is not as impossible as people thought....

Top Bottom