• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade 3D |OT| Is that a Monado in your pocket or are you just really feeling it?

Despite being my second playthrough I'm still finding myself enjoying exploring around Colony 9 doing sidequests. Reminds me of the amazement I had when I first played the game.

I will probably not do it because I remember being very overleveled.

Also did they fix the inventory?

ZeroX03

Banned

Third theme, pre-order exclusiveish.
16968893676_df3e991052_z.jpg

Kiko

Started the download this morning and it went quite fast. I always thought Ninty servers are really shitty. Maybe it was the time, so I could reach a better speed, who knows.

Just have to finish work and then I can finally play this gem again!

ZeroX03

Banned
Started the download this morning and it went quite fast. I always thought Ninty servers are really shitty. Maybe it was the time, so I could reach a better speed, who knows.

Just have to finish work and then I can finally play this gem again!

N3DS has improved download speeds!

Sallokin

My local GEO didn't have any of the special soundtracks that come with the JP launch version, but they did have the Xenblade faceplate. Unsure how to feel lol.

Kiko

N3DS has improved download speeds!

Well I was really worried yesterday tbh and pissed off that there is no preload available (yet). However it turned out to be not so bad. Glad they could somehow fix it. Logging into eshop is still slow as hell for me, even on the high performance New3DS

CassSept

BUT WE MUSTN'T BE CARELESS!

I finished the game last weekend and the banter really got on my ner-DANCE WITH ME

Tbh I liked them for the most part but I did stop using Melia because she was driving me insane. MANIFEST YOURSELF MANIFEST YOURSELF MANIFEST YOURSELGMANIFESGHYOURSELFaMANIFESTYOURSELYOURSEAYOURS ARGH

Rich!

holy fucking shit

someone on gbatemp has worked out that the Wii saves are technically portable to the 3DS versions

this is awesome news

Chopper

My copy arrived, sans the pre-order theme code unfortunately. I was considering pulling a Byron Bluth and throwing a massive tantrum but I think I'll just live with shooting the retailer an email and just accepting that I probably won't get it. Oh well.

Working now but will play soon!
I'm in the same boat. I checked my order on the Nintendo UK site, and it says that the theme is still "awaiting stock pick". We'll get it at some point, probably in an email

Downloaded the game this morning during the Nintendo Direct right in time for my train ride:

I'm liking it so far and I'm impressed with the performance on the N3DS. One thing which is annoying me to no end is that menu navigation. Other than that, pretty cool free game.

JimPanzer

5 hours in and I'm not really feeling it. story and characters are bland, voice acting is worse than FFX's, game is ugly as sin, overloaded with tutorials and horrible menus. I will keep playing it too see why people are praising this game, can't see it at all at the moment.

ZeroX03

Banned
5 hours in and I'm not really feeling it. story and characters are bland, voice acting is worse than FFX's, game is ugly as sin, overloaded with tutorials and horrible menus. I will keep playing it too see why people are praising this game, can't see it at all at the moment.

Listen: I promise you - promise you - that if after 20 hours you still don't like the game, that you have bad taste. That's a promise.

A lot of the appeal comes from the huge world size and world. Huge maps to explore. A heightened sense of immersion I suppose. More than almost any JRPG it really feels like a journey and that your traveling a fully realized world with a much more realized sense of scale than most games. Characters, story and voice acting are pretty subjective I've found so that's your opinion. I'm fine with the menus and seeing how some people crumble late game the tutorials seem surprisingly necessary.

JimPanzer

Listen: I promise you - promise you - that if after 20 hours you still don't like the game, that you have bad taste. That's a promise.

A lot of the appeal comes from the huge world size and world. Huge maps to explore. A heightened sense of immersion I suppose. More than almost any JRPG it really feels like a journey and that your traveling a fully realized world with a much more realized sense of scale than most games. Characters, story and voice acting are pretty subjective I've found so that's your opinion. I'm fine with the menus and seeing how some people crumble late game the tutorials seem surprisingly necessary.

yeah, but why explore? to complete the tenthousand fetch-quests?
Also the combat sucks, it's either no challenge at all or enemys are 30 level above me and one shot me.

batrush

The game is solid, but nowhere near as great as folks here present it to be.

OMG Aero

I don't suppose anyone who ordered a physical copy from Nintendo UK's store has received a download code for the 3DS theme yet?
My game arrived today but on my order page the status next to the theme says "awaiting stock pick".

jurec84

Unconfirmed Member

I thought the dub was good, a breath of fresh air with those UK accents :) Game is not ugly, just dated. I loved it on my Wii, although it was way too long for me, so I stopped after 60 hours. Maybe I'll try it again on the new 3ds.

ZeroX03

Banned
Also the combat sucks, it's either no challenge at all or enemys are 30 level above me and one shot me.

Why explore in a GTA game? Because people like to find things. I don't mean items exactly, just finding what's out there.

Just sounds like the game isn't for you. The world getting bigger and bolder over the course of the story was really amazing to me. Nothing to do with graphics, that sense of scale just isn't something many games have been able to do.

The combat gets a lot better when you have more options available to you, but the side quests are almost all the worst kind of MMO fetch-quest. Worst of all, while the side-content is easy to ignore at the beginning, as you progress, you're heavily pushed towards doing it as the main quest gets very hard and you need the extra XP.

Danneee

One small tip which I found to be good - the default camera is very zoomed out and makes the player model extremely pixelated. If you zoom it in about 3 notches you notice the player model is a lot better. Set it back to default and it's so zoomed out you see the low DPI screen have issues and draw a lower res looking model. I've stuck with it zoomed in 3 notches anyway.

Do NOT, out of curiosity, play 10 mins of Xenoblade 3DS then boot Dolphin and do the same. That's a bad idea (and sort of pointless).

Great tip! Will try it when I get home.

And yeah, the 3d is disappointing. Maybe something they can patch? I mean, its there but only just.

Rich!

The combat gets a lot better when you have more options available to you, but the side quests are almost all the worst kind of MMO fetch-quest. Worst of all, while the side-content is easy to ignore at the beginning, as you progress, you're heavily pushed towards doing it as the main quest gets very hard and you need the extra XP.

Yeah...the final hurdle between level 70 and the optimal level of around 80 to tackle the final boss is kinda brutal

JimPanzer

Why explore in a GTA game? Because people like to find things.

Just sounds like the game isn't for you. The world getting bigger and bolder over the course of the story was really amazing to me. Nothing to do with graphics, that sense of scale just isn't something many games have been able to do.

My biggest problem is probably the art style, I just don't find the world and characters good looking. I mean the whole giant stuff is a neat idea, but why make everything so damn generic looking. Also why can't there fresh, green grass that's pleasing to the eye instead of the muddy green everywhere.

Good to hear that the performance is fine. I could not stomach those graphics + bad performance.

Disappointing to hear that they did not improve the inventory though.

The game is solid, but nowhere near as great as folks here present it to be.

Agreed, it is way overhyped on GAF.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Cant remember if I said this already but great OT!

Want to play mine but got a mountain of stuff to finish first. D:

ZeroX03

Banned
My biggest problem is probably the art style, I just don't find the world and characters nice. I mean the whole giant stuff is a neat idea, but why make everything so damn generic looking. Also why can't there fresh, green grass that's pleasing to the eye instead of the muddy green everywhere.

I have a friend who is very peculiar about art style and it will make or break a game for him. Like he won't touch certain games if they don't have an atmosphere that meshes with him. Xenoblade probably just doesn't mesh with you.

Gaur Plains - the 4th big map I think - is also full of green.

Diffense

My biggest problem is probably the art style, I just don't find the world and characters good looking. I mean the whole giant stuff is a neat idea, but why make everything so damn generic looking. Also why can't there fresh, green grass that's pleasing to the eye instead of the muddy green everywhere.

Yeah, if you hate the world it's not for you.
Return it posthaste.

I am liking it better than my first attempt on Wii.
I find the combat dull and the menus terrible, but I am liking the characters so far.
I will keep at it. The conversion is really good though. Prefer playing it on N3DS vs. Wii.

Agreed, it is way overhyped on GAF.
It is hard to blame them since the Wii did not have lots of RPGs compared to the PS3.
I also agree with you, but not overhyped like Wonderful 101. At least I see why people would like it.

Assault

Excited to finally be able to play this for the first time, but I'm going to have to wait a couple of more weeks and finish my uni exams first.

I am liking it better than my first attempt on Wii.
I find the combat dull and the menus terrible, but I am liking the characters so far.
I will keep at it. The conversion is really good though. Prefer playing it on N3DS vs. Wii.

It is hard to blame them since the Wii did not have lots of RPGs compared to the PS3.
I also agree with you, but not overhyped like Wonderful 101. At least I see why people would like it.

Yeah, pretty much. It is a good JRPG, but the love for it here is a bit surprising. Oh well, just got the game from amazon and it will be fun to give it another fair chance. Maybe I stopped too early last time if people are saying that the story quest does get very challenging later on. I always felt way overpowered.

Rich!

Yeah, pretty much. It is a good JRPG, but the love for it here is a bit surprising. Oh well, just got the game from amazon and it will be fun to give it another fair chance. Maybe I stopped too early last time if people are saying that the story quest does get very challenging later on. I always felt way overpowered.

You felt overpowered in Valak Mountain? Heh. Nahhh, no way.

Second half of the game is insane. And takes you to some fucking incredible places.

JimPanzer

I have a friend who is very peculiar about art style and it will make or break a game for him. Like he won't touch certain games if they don't have an atmosphere that meshes with him. Xenoblade probably just doesn't mesh with you.

Gaur Plains - the 4th big map I think - is also full of green.

Yeah, if you hate the world it's not for you.
Return it posthaste.

nah, I'll definitely give it 20 hours, if just for the music. the game had a tough start because I played MH4U and bloodborne before it, both which will most likely be my top 1 and 2 games of the year.

I laughed audibly at this. Wow.
Ni No Kuni, Fallout, Dragon Age, Kingdom Hearts, Tales Of (the Wii one was baaaad), FFXIV, Mass Effect Trilogy, Skyrim, Stick of Truth.
Take your pick.
The DS/3DS is king of RPGs. Wii was severely lacking new stuff.
Not dissing Xenoblade, but that and Fire Emblem were the RPGs for the system.

So is this Skyrim with crop tops?
I would say Fallout in a nicer looking place with swords and crop tops. :p

You felt overpowered in Valak Mountain? Heh. Nahhh, no way.

Second half of the game is insane. And takes you to some fucking incredible places.

Very cool!

The furthest I had gotten was a bit beyond that fairy village full of little creatures. I remember it having many floors and being kinda confusing.

nah, I'll definitely give it 20 hours, if just for the music. the game had a tough start because I played MH4U and bloodborne before it, both which will most likely be my top 1 and 2 games of the year.
It is a game where if you do not have play it with GAF hype in mind, it is a pretty fun game. I think if I did not listen to GAF before playing Wonderful 101 I would not have hated it as much.
Mostly the best thing is the sense of scale with the monsters and such.

JimPanzer

It is a game where if you do not have play it with GAF hype in mind, it is a pretty fun game. I think if I did not listen to GAF before playing Wonderful 101 I would not have hated it as much.
Mostly the best thing is the sense of scale with the monsters and such.

yeah, I was expecting some P4G quality. I mean, the game is 5th place on the Essential RPG list.

yeah, I was expecting some P4G quality. I mean, the game is 5th place on the Essential RPG list.
Yeah, Chuggaaconroy's playthrough is 49 hours.
Things get really interesting around the 20 hour mark from what I hear.
It's still baffling for me why P4 is such a regarded 'essential every man's rpg'. It's a great highschool simulator... but the core rpg bits with the dungeons and some broke ass systems (only deaths i've had were when AI decide to chain crit my protagonist)... not great. All my replays after the ps2 one were on easy.
My favorite modern RPG so far has been Ni No Kuni, so I cannot comment on Persona 4 much, ha ha.

Corgi

Banned

It's still baffling for me why P4 is such a regarded 'essential every man's rpg'. It's a great highschool simulator... but the core rpg bits with the dungeons and some broke ass systems (only deaths i've had were when AI decide to chain crit my protagonist)... not great. All my replays after the ps2 one were on easy.

Top Bottom