• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles announced for Europe (dual language voice)

[Nintex]

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| NoE makes up for 6 month Super Smash Bros. Wii U delay.
Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| You just know Zelda will be delayed for 6 months in Europe now.
Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| First Wii game worth a damn since Donkey Kong Country: Returns.
Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Iwata Asks: "NOA Y U NO RELEASE :("
Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| EU might be bankrupt but at least we got Xenoblade.
Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Takahashi: "The day I stepped on Reggie's dog"

Cow Mengde said:
You guys want to join a mailing campaign? People on IGN forums are trying to start one.
I already sent them an e-mail three days ago and I got a reply today:

Hello,

Thank you for writing to us. While there have been no announcements, I can see why you want to see Baten Kaitos III to appear on one of our systems, and want to assure you that your comments have been documented and made available for other departments here to use as they see fit.

In regard to Xenoblade, the game Monado: Beginning of the World has been announced for release in the Americas; however, we don't have any other information on this game right now. Please understand, game announcements and release dates can be changed or cancelled at any time.

Sincerely,

Nintendo of America Inc.

Gotta cover all my bases. Curiously, he didn't mention anything about The Last Story, which I mentioned as well.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
I just sent one, myself.

Email said:
Hello Nintendo,

On May 6th, 2007, Nintendo bought a wonderful development studio named Monolith Soft., Inc. The first project Nintendo's President assigned them was a "hardcore" game. They developed Disaster: Day of Crisis. This was then released in Europe, but not in the United States. I was not too disappointed because I realized that Monolith was being asked to do something it normally did not do: a shooter.

However, durring E3 2009, Nintendo demonstrated a gorgeous new game developed by Monolith Soft. then titled Monado: Beginning of the World. I soon became incredibly excited about the title because it looked to be a return to what Monolith Soft. is best at: RPGs. Fast forward to today, and it NoA refuses to release what is now called Xenoblade Chronicles in Europe. This is despite the fact that Xenoblade may be the highest rated RPG to come from Japan this generation.

I have been a fan of Monolith Software since their Xenosaga series on Playstation 2, and was thrilled when Nintendo bought them because I knew they would only become better through teaming with Nintendo's amazing support. I now see that I will probably never be able to play another Monolith Software title because NoA refuses to release even their best work they've done in half a decade.

I am angry. I am angry because I have supported Nintendo for 2 decades, and yet Nintendo refuses to allow me to play the games I want to buy: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Pandora's Tower, Fatal Frame IV, and others. I am angry because I constantly go on websites where I see the following:

"This information comes from the lead manager of the French branch of Nintendo...

- special classic controller for Xenoblade Chronicles
- Nintendo of Europe had a presence at E3, but they weren't allow to show Xenoblade Chronicles
- this was because NoA didn't want to showcase games that they aren't planning to sell"

http://www.**********.com/viewstory.php?id=161562

And then to forums where I see this:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=425989

I am angry because I know my position is useless, and that I have absolutely no say in whether Nintendo grants me the ability to play this amazing game or not. I have no say whether Nintendo wishes to fully support their system that I paid for or not. And I have no way of knowing whether if I continue to buy Nintendo products, that it will be enough money to give to Nintendo in order for NoA to release Monolith Soft. games.

I wrote this because I want an answer from Nintendo. I want to know why I will never be able to play Xenoblade. I also want to know if there is anything I can do to have Xenoblade released in North America. There is a large fanbase for this game, and word of mouth will sell this title. It's beautiful.

Thank you for your time,

Sign

perhaps this is a bit much... but it's how I feel.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Nicely written and you provide a very good outline, but unfortunately you will be answered by a customer service rep who will tell you:
- Thanks for your interest.
- While not all titles make it over from Japan, they're confident they will release some great games for you to play (such as Zelda: Skyward Sword)
- Both Nintendo and MonolithSoft are hard at work at creating hits.
- Did you know Nintendo has released many RPGs including Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3d?
- Monado: Beginning of the World does not currently have a release date scheduled for North America
- Your concerns and opinions will be taken into account in future Nintendo decisions.
- Stay tuned for more updates at Nintendo.com

In the mean time, mod your Wii, import the game. Fatal Frame IV is playable in English on your US Wii. So is the excellent Another Code R. So is Disaster: Day of Crisis. Xenoblade will be shortly.

Gvaz

Banned
Sneak into Reggie's office and leave a bag of crap on his desk with a notecard saying "RELEASE XENOBLADE IN USA OR YOU'LL SEE MORE OF THIS SHIT!"

And when he opens it, it is in fact not shit, but MLP figurines.

Or is that the same thing?

Brannon

Can the magic of Demon's Souls help Xenoblade as well? I mean, it's gotta. I'll import anyway but c'mon NOA. Stop being donks.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
Stumpokapow said:
Nicely written and you provide a very good outline, but unfortunately you will be answered by a customer service rep who will tell you:
- While not all titles make it over from Japan, they're confident they will release some great games for you to play (such as Zelda: Skyward Sword)
- Did you know Nintendo has released many RPGs including Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3d?
- Monado: Beginning of the World does not currently have a release date scheduled for North America
- Your concerns and opinions will be taken into account in future Nintendo decisions.

In the mean time, mod your Wii, import the game. Fatal Frame IV is playable in English on your US Wii. So is the excellent Another Code R. So is Disaster: Day of Crisis. Xenoblade will be shortly.
Already done. :p

I'm mostly angry because I feel like Monolith Soft. deserves more recognition for their amazing work. I also think it would sell decently just based on reactions from people here in GAF.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Stumpokapow said:

Nintendo:

"Did you know we make games? Some of them are occasionally released. Thanks for your feedback!"

nckillthegrimace said:
NoA has a facebook page now. Whining on facebook worked for Tales fans, so maybe it will work for people who want Xenoblade!*

*It won't.

I think this might have more of an impact then say sending an email to customer service, having the rep see it's about XB or TLS, replying with a cursory response, and then hitting "delete" without a second thought.

At least on Nintendo's general wall on facebook, it'll stay and be more visible.

Glix

Who is really making these decisions? Does NoA have all the say, or does the mother company call the shots?

Not releasing a game that people want, when it is already translated, makes no sense at all to me.

I have a buddy who is staunchly anti-modding and he recently asked me to help him setup his Wii to play out of region games. smh.

creid

Glix said:
Who is really making these decisions? Does NoA have all the say, or does the mother company call the shots?
Look back a few pages, there was some disagreement on what the situation is.

daffy

Banned
Please no NoA jokes in the thread title. Lets try to cut down on the whine invites please.

Now then, can any kindred soul tell me or link me to how to get Fatal Frame IV playable in English on my homebrew'd Wii? :eek:

Gvaz

Banned
FTH said:
Please no NoA jokes in the thread title. Lets try to cut down on the whine invites please.

Now then, can any kindred soul tell me or link me to how to get Fatal Frame IV playable in English on my homebrew'd Wii? :eek:
Get FF4, get the english patch, patch it, stick it in a backup manager, ?????, profit

Guys, the IGN mailing campaign is about sending actual letter rather than e-mails. In some ways, I understand why. Letter cost more to send and just looks like you put more effort into writing this, and also more formal so to speak. Sending e-mails to NOA customer service will just net you the same response.

wrowa

Cow Mengde said:
Guys, the IGN mailing campaign is about sending actual letter rather than e-mails. In some ways, I understand why. Letter cost more to send and just looks like you put more effort into writing this, and also more formal so to speak. Sending e-mails to NOA customer service will just net you the same response.
It's also way easier to ignore an e-mail than an actual letter.

I don't think it'll help NoA to reconsider the situation, but it's a better idea than sending an e-mail. No one takes e-mails seriously.

Hmm, Nintendo reps are apparently taking Xenoblade feedback seriously (comments from a certain Nintendo site).

Just an odd question - how many of you have actually tried calling Nintendo? I just got off the phone, and they seem to be watching response to this title pretty closely from the sound of things.

It's a better solution than just sitting here crying about it, at least.

@someone17

In a nutshell, the rep said that they're taking feedback on Xenoblade seriously, and remarked that he's received several calls on the title today already.

So I think that IGN campaign is a good idea.

daffy

Banned
Bel Marduk said:
Hmm, Nintendo reps are apparently taking Xenoblade feedback seriously (comments from a certain Nintendo site).

Reminds me of when I was a member of Starmen.net (Earthbound/Mother 3 fan site) and we fought vigorously to get NoE / NoA to notice Mother 3. They told us the same thing (we're taking it seriously, we love our fans etc) when we made our call runs.

lol fun times

wrowa

Bel Marduk said:

The truth is: the people in front of these telephones don't have a single word to say. Even if they want to help, they hardly could. They simply have to say those things, since "We don't care, fuck off" isn't a nice thing to say.

wrowa said:
The truth is: the people in front of these telephones don't have a single word to say. Even if they want to help, they hardly could. They simply have to say those things, since "We don't care, fuck off" isn't a nice thing to say.

You say that but if they're receiving a lot of feedback, including multiple phone calls just today, they're not going to ignore it and say "fuck off". Seriously, some people like to paint these companies as bigger ignorant dicks than they are. They could still not release the game but not because they don't want to listen to lots of feedback.

Effect

If they've already decided not to release it then I really doubt they give a damn about feedback. The decision has most likely already been made.

I don't think anything short of a non-Final Fantasy JRPG selling gangbusters on the Wii would convince NOA that JRPGs are still a viable market on consoles in America.

M-PG71C

You know what we need to do? We need to send some thank you letters to NOE, I actually respect what they are doing in bringing out games NOA will not touch.

That seals the deal for me though, I'll be importing day one from GAME. Money ain't nothing on this, whatever the price, its mine. I need a damn good console RPG.

And I hope that word going around that The Last Story is coming to Europe too is true as well, I need another Mistwalker game. I'll be supporting these two works all the way!

I don't see this NoA Facebook page y'all were talking about. All I see are fakes.

Meanwhile, I emailed them, too. It's a bit lengthy, as I was asking more about Monolith game in general, but here it is:

Hello, Nintendo of America.

I am writing to ask about whether or not you guys will localize games made by one of your Japanese studios, Monolith Soft. I have been a big fan of that studio for years, and since they became a first party developer with Nintendo, I have been sad to see that Nintendo of America has not localized a single game they've made.

Atlus USA, a third party publisher, has localized one of their Role Playing Games for the Nintendo DS, Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier in 2009, which was fantastic news for me. In addition, Namco Bandai, Monolith Soft's other owner as I understand, has localized their licensed RPG, Dragon Ball Z: Attack of the Saiyans. Having played both, I can say that they are good games, and come from a studio that obviously puts a lot of time and dedication into the games they make.

It makes me question, why does Nintendo of America continue to ignore the other games they've made?

If it were maybe one, or even two games that were looked over, I would understand. But, combining the work for both the Nintendo Wii and Nintendo DS that they've done since Nintendo bought them, it is a grand total of six games that Nintendo of America has overlooked. Two, as I mentioned were localized by other companies. However, there are still four games, including one extra DS game made before the buyout, that have not made their way to North America yet.

Which four? Well, there is the DS Action-RPG, Soma Bringer, from 2008. Then, there is the DS RPG Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier EXCEED, the sequel to the game mentioned previously, from 2010. On the Wii side, there is 2008's Action-Adventure title Disaster: Day of Crisis, and 2010's open-world RPG, Xenoblade (known in Europe as Xenoblade Chronicles).

In addition, the fifth game, made before Monolith Soft was acquired by Nintendo, is Xenosaga I&II for the DS, an RPG made back in 2006. I have previously asked about the chances of the localization of this title in particular, as it represents Monolith's work before it was acquired by Nintendo.

It disturbs me that Nintendo of America has continued to overlook such a fine Japanese studio such as Monolith Soft for localization opportunities, especially considering that they are owned by Nintendo. However, it is not only that. This decision confuses me as well, because Nintendo of Europe has already localized Disaster: Day of Crisis (released in 2008 in PAL regions and Australia) and is planning on localizing Xenoblade Chronicles, releasing in September of this year. Stranger yet, Disaster was prominently shown during your E3 2006 press conference, and Xenoblade was unveiled at E3 2009, both being American venues.

I know at one point Nintendo of America had plans of releasing Xenoblade Chronicles, known at one point as Monado: The Beginning of the World, but the listing on your website has since disappeared.

So, I must ask. Can I, as a fan, ever expect to see any of these titles, or any future titles, from Nintendo of America? At the time of this writing, June fifteenth 2011, the DS has been receiving its last few waves of software, while the Wii is entering its final years as well. It would be fantastic to see both of these consoles' lifecycles topped off with titles developed by a fantastic studio like Monolith Soft. It would greatly appeal to many hardcore fans who up until now have been waiting years for Nintendo to truly deliver on its promise to please hardcore gamers and bring games to North America for any and all ages. We beseech you, Nintendo of America. Please localize the games made by this studio.

With love,
A Nintendo fan for more than a decade,
and Club Nintendo member,
(Name)

Got this back:

Hello (Name),

In the end, there isn't going to be one answer to your question. As our previous response touched on, there's so much that goes in to localizing a game from one region to another, any one thing can slow it down or stop it completely. The reason can range from legal questions to finding the manpower to localize something to English, to simply not being able to justify the costs with the demand for the game. I wish it were simple, but nothing worth doing in the video game business is ever all that simple. We can only hope that some of the titles you are interested in will at some point in time show up in our library.

We do appreciate your thoughts on the situation and we're always happy to forward them along, but we will only have more information when it's officially announced. We appreciate your continued patience.

Sincerely,

Nintendo of America Inc

Obviously, this isn't the first time I've emailed them about it. It seems a bit different than the other ones seen here.

Alex

You should probably stop worrying with the emails, you're only going to stress yourself out. It's a mirror of what has happened with several times in the past and they'll feed you blank responses until it's quietly removed from their site in the future.

Nintendo is remarkably resistant to change or evolution in a great many ways, although considering they're the only truly profitable console manufacturer you can't really blame 'em, though you can sure as heck bitch them out!

Just be thankful for Europe and find another publisher that's genuinely worthy of your thoughtful emails because Nintendo through their US filter is simply not. I'm likin' NISA & Xseed lately, myself! Falcom dumps and goofy ass Gust games ahoy!

Well, emailing them will only give us the usual response. We can either play the waiting game and wait for Zelda SS to arrive to give us some time, and see later on if they have a stealth release.

If nothing is said by the end of the year, perhaps it has been canned for good. At that point I'll just import it later on.

Didn't some other games that were non-Nintendo eventually make it over? Like Tatsunoko vs. Capcom?

Diffense

I emailed them too.
Yeah, it won't change the outcome but I felt like adding my voice.
Besides, if they drag their feet anyone interested enough will import anyway and I know I wouldn't be buying it again.

waytofailself

Neo Member
I would agree. Email is too easy to dispose of too fast. I know I do it and you all do it too.

You want your voice heard? Call. Make a phone call to customer service. You want your voice heard? Write a letter. A physical thing you can drop in the mail (unless you're in Canada with the postage strike). No one sends snail mail anymore hardly -- it leaves an impression.

But most importantly: be articulate, and don't be a douche
. Say why you're excited about the game. Say why you're interested. Don't just sound like an entitled little snot, that's not how to get something you want. And for the love of dogs everywhere, SPELL CHECK AND PROOF READ. Even if you don't catch everything, at least you'll catch the big nasty errors.

Korigama

If the controller winds up having a color scheme like the sword Monado itself, then I'd probably pay extra for the bundle (only have the one black CC Pro I got with MH3 at the moment). Already registered with GAME, but still need to actually set up Homebrew for my Wii.

It just continues to baffle me how arguably the two best RPGs of this home console generation were released (of all places) on the Wii and have almost zero chance of coming to the US.

When niche games like Persona and Etrian Odyssey can not only come to the West but also achieve commercial success (enough to warrant sequels, etc), there is little to no excuse why Xenoblade and Last Story which have more of a western appeal are glossed over by Nintendo. If it's not a traditional franchised title, they're at a loss on how to market it and immediately pronounce it as dead (see Sin and Punishment) or not worth it.

I love Nintendo dearly, but sometimes they just don't get it (or don't want to get it).

Sorry for the rant

madara

Very true. I've never been a huge mecha fan but is not this theme incredibly popular? I would think a little advertising and mecha cosplay commercials would go a very long way without alot of investment.

aCtML.jpg

ShockingAlberto said:
I don't think anything short of a non-Final Fantasy JRPG selling gangbusters on the Wii would convince NOA that JRPGs are still a viable market on consoles in America.

Dragon Quest IX.. yes its on the DS but it was a huge seller. JRPGs are a viable market its just that none of these games (except FF and DQIX) are actually advertised.

creid

It's sad, IMO they could bundle any of these games with a Zelda: SS demo and make their money back in a heartbeat.

Top Bottom