• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles announced for Europe (dual language voice)

Bel Marduk said:
Dragon Quest IX.. yes its on the DS but it was a huge seller. JRPGs are a viable market its just that none of these games (except FF and DQIX) are actually advertised.
I made sure to include the word console specifically.

Lard

Banned
waytofailself said:
I would agree. Email is too easy to dispose of too fast. I know I do it and you all do it too.

You want your voice heard? Call. Make a phone call to customer service. You want your voice heard? Write a letter. A physical thing you can drop in the mail (unless you're in Canada with the postage strike).

This is why I haven't written one yet.

At this point, if we really do feel passionate about this, I really think that we need to bring awareness. Not just here, but unite a lot of other sites; IGN, go-nintendo, gamespot, 1up, kotaku... basically try to publicize as much as possible that we don't want to be jerked around. The games are being released IN ENGLISH in Europe.

It's a bad precedent to set. Why has Nintendo regressed to the point where they see games strictly as Japanese or American? What if other companies start doing this? Will we see the end of the Persona games and SMT? Will not get a localized version of the next great unknown Japanese game like Katmari or ICO because there's a fear it won't sell?

Hell I usually don't give a crap about the gaming side, but I'm willing to start a thread and try to spur other major sites to promote the facebook/letter/calling movement until we're heard.

IAmtheFMan said:
At this point, if we really do feel passionate about this, I really think that we need to bring awareness. Not just here, but unite a lot of other sites; IGN, go-nintendo, gamespot, 1up, kotaku... basically try to publicize as much as possible that we don't want to be jerked around. The games are being released IN ENGLISH in Europe.

It's a bad precedent to set. Why has Nintendo regressed to the point where they see games strictly as Japanese or American? What if other companies start doing this? Will we see the end of the Persona games and SMT? Will not get a localized version of the next great unknown Japanese game like Katmari or ICO because there's a fear it won't sell?

Hell I usually don't give a crap about the gaming side, but I'm willing to start a thread and try to spur other major sites to promote the facebook/letter/calling movement until we're heard.
You probably won't get much support outside of hardcore gaming circles for the same reason NOA won't release the game: very few people care about JRPGs and very few people care about Wii games and the cross-section of people that do does not include a whole ton of game journalists.

But I'd still go ahead and try it. News cycles are unpredictable and someone on IGN may notice and not have anything else to write about that day. It costs nothing more than time.

ShockingAlberto said:
You probably won't get much support outside of hardcore gaming circles for the same reason NOA won't release the game: very few people care about JRPGs and very few people care about Wii games and the cross-section of people that do does not include a whole ton of game journalists.

But I'd still go ahead and try it. News cycles are unpredictable and someone on IGN may notice and not have anything else to write about that day. It costs nothing more than time.

The hardcore gaming circle is exactly who needs to be vocal about this. Nintendo is giving a lot of lip service about "appealing to everyone" but this doesn't look to include niche gaming populations. Even if you don't care about JRPG's or don't want to play these games, it's still not a good standard to set.

Diffense

waytofailself said:
I would agree. Email is too easy to dispose of too fast. I know I do it and you all do it too.

You want your voice heard? Call. Make a phone call to customer service. You want your voice heard? Write a letter. A physical thing you can drop in the mail (unless you're in Canada with the postage strike). No one sends snail mail anymore hardly -- it leaves an impression.

But most importantly: be articulate, and don't be a douche
. Say why you're excited about the game. Say why you're interested. Don't just sound like an entitled little snot, that's not how to get something you want. And for the love of dogs everywhere, SPELL CHECK AND PROOF READ. Even if you don't catch everything, at least you'll catch the big nasty errors.

I'd say we *are* entitled to proper support of the console for the extent of its life-cycle.
All the Nintendo merchandise we have (console, controller, etc.) costs money and none of us expect to have the game free.
While we can't directly control corporate decisions there will be direct (email, mail, calls) and indirect feedback.

I know I've cut back on my Nintendo spending ever since it became obvious we were getting the finger with Xenoblade.
I passed on the Oot remake, for example, whereas if I felt good about the Nintendo brand at the moment I'd surely pick it up.
It didn't even start as a conscious boycott, but anything with the Nintendo brand now reminds me of the hoops I'll have to jump through to play Xenoblade.
It's surprising how quickly that will make you not want to buy anything, much less remakes and cash-ins.

So my email was less about begging them for the game and more about merely adding my voice as someone who is aware of it and would buy.
I certainly don't expect any particular wording I used to be the ONE THING that makes NOA say YES, we have to localize this (lol).
In fact, I have already resolved to import come September though I *would* appreciate the convenience of not having to.

Anyway, sending the email has exorcised my need to talk about this.
So enough of it!
Thank you N<3E!
I can't wait!

Hums XB theme....

Go_Ly_Dow

IAmtheFMan said:
The hardcore gaming circle is exactly who needs to be vocal about this. Nintendo is giving a lot of lip service about "appealing to everyone" but this doesn't look to include niche gaming populations. Even if you don't care about JRPG's or don't want to play these games, it's still not a good standard to set.

I know how it feels being from Europe. Even tho in this situation I'm getting the game, it annoys me that NA is not.

During the PS2 era it was horrible missing out on the Tales and Xenosaga games. Also the waiting period between NA > EU was terrible (Atlus, Square....)

Luckily the PS3 and PSP are region free so it really isn't an issue for me now since I can easily import. Also many 3rd party publishers seem to aim for simultaneous releases, between both regions.

I'll gladly join in whatever campaign is started. It's horrible to think of all the potential future games we might miss out on. Sometimes I worry that these games will never leave Japan in the first place.

waytofailself

Neo Member
Diffense said:
I'd say we *are* entitled to proper support of the console for the extent of its life-cycle.
All the Nintendo merchandise we have (console, controller, etc.) costs money and none of us expect to have the game free.
While we can't directly control corporate decisions there will be direct (email, mail, calls) and indirect feedback.
I agree with you, especially with the lack of bones NoA is throwing at North America. But when I said "don't sound like an entitled little snot," I mean that on the basis of writing. It is a waste of time and counter productive to send a message to nintendo that equates to a 9 year old's temper tantrum (e.g. "FFFFUUUUU Nninteneeodo!!! Gimme gamezz cuz imaa hardcoresz! UUU SUKKKK R SOO MEEN")

I know I took that to the extreme, but other people who send messages that simply bash Nintendo for not releasing the game pretty much read the exact same as what is written above (From Nintendo's perspective of course). No, what is more productive is to express your interest, say why you have your interest, and tying your interest back into Nintendo's mission to appeal to "ALL" gamers.

creid

Princess Skittles said:
Why would you refer to it as that if it was never released under that title.. anywhere?
That's how it's listed on Nintendo's master game list, as well as on Amazon.

Princess Skittles said:
Why would you refer to it as that if it was never released under that title.. anywhere?

Because that's what it's listed as on Amazon and what Nintendo reps on emails refer to the title as (they know it's called Xenoblade too though).

entremet

The thing that makes so frustrating are two fold. Nintendo's s been raking the cash and the fact that they've not plugging holes in the Wii release library, which has been terrible for the last 2 years.

Hey, I've been searching through this thread and maybe I missed a link or something, but where would I be able to import Xenoblade Chronicles from?

Tguy said:
Hey, I've been searching through this thread and maybe I missed a link or something, but where would I be able to import Xenoblade Chronicles from?

game.co.uk is the most recommended one. Also Ebay from international sellers, or if someone imported the game already and is in the US.

Someone on GAF once did a graphic with statistics showing how NOA localization record is getting worse as the years go on. Can someone find that along with the graph and stats and post it onto NOA's facebook page? Please? That should get fans more adamant and angrier at NOA.

heringer

To be honest, it's not even a matter of having a viable market for JRPG's. If they can at least break even, isn't it worth it? I mean, they would be throwing us a bone and gaining some favor with the more enthusiast gamers and publications. Surely that would do some good to their image.

I'm just amazed that the frustration is this high that us fans are feeling the need to do this. I thought it was just me and maybe one or two of you guys on GAF.

IAmtheFMan said:
I'm just amazed that the frustration is this high that us fans are feeling the need to do this. I thought it was just me and maybe one or two of you guys on GAF.

Xenoblade is considered, by many, to be the JRPG of the generation.
TLS is the biggest and most beautiful game Gooch has made.

They're being released in English. There's no reason for them not to hit America.

Effect

heringer said:
To be honest, it's not even a matter of having a viable market for JRPG's. If they can at least break even, isn't it worth it? I mean, they would be throwing us a bone and gaining some favor with the more enthusiast gamers and publications. Surely that would do some good to their image.

I don't believe they ever made back their initial investment based on Japanese sales alone for Xenoblade or even The Last Story and others. At least I would think they didn't based on a guess of what had to go into these games. If that is the case it makes the decision not to release them all the more crazy.

heringer

Effect said:
I don't believe they ever made back their initial investment based on Japanese sales alone for Xenoblade or even The Last Story and others. At least I would think they didn't based on a guess of what had to go into these games. If that is the case it makes the decision not to release them all the more crazy.
Yeah, they probably did lose money with both games. That money is already down the toilet though. I meant that, if they can at least break even on the localization costs, it would be worth it to their image, especially when they claim to be trying to win the hardcore back. At this point a portion of Nintendo's fanbase is getting pissed, and that can't be good.

But then again, maybe they don't care all that much because all is forgotten when they release the next Mario or Zelda.

Soroc

Wow so many posts in the comments there about localizing. Nice to see actually.

Makes me think a facebook page requesting the localizations could add some fuel to the fire depending on how many people join the page and how many "likes" it gets.

EDarkness

I joined the comment bomb on Nintendo's Facebook page. Letting them know there are lots of people out there who want these games, is a good start. I'll pass the word on through my website and other friends.

wrowa

AceBandage said:
TLS is the biggest and most beautiful game Gooch has made.
It's actually rather short, saying that it's more beautiful than Blue Dragon or Lost Oddyssey is highly questionable and Japanese impressions are rather mixed.

I'm hoping for a Western release, but I think most people are just hyped because it's developed by Mistwalker/Gooch ;o

heringer

Yeah, The Last Story's impressions weren't near as hot as Xenoblade's.

I'm still buying day one if they bring it over though. Even if Lost Odyssey left a sour taste in my mouth.

wrowa said:
It's actually rather short, saying that it's more beautiful than Blue Dragon or Lost Oddyssey is highly questionable and Japanese impressions are rather mixed.

I'm hoping for a Western release, but I think most people are just hyped because it's developed by Mistwalker/Gooch ;o
It's the first game Sakaguchi's actually directed since FFV. And I's say people are excited mainly because it doesn't look like it plays like just another bog standard JRPG, but tries something different and progressive. Same thing with Xenoblade.

desu

wrowa said:

Well its still a very fun, I suppose if I hadn't played Xenoblade before it I would have been more impressed by it but Xenoblade just set the bars way too high (and I doubt any RPG can top that anytime soon).

Edit: Whoops, probably a bad word somewhere in there! Here's to hoping major video game news online begin to take notice and bring it to attention from an even wider audience.

farnham

Banned
wrowa said:

I played it and its easily more enjoyable then xenoblade

Xenoblade has more wow moments though

But battle system, story, characters are all better imho

farnham

Banned
lunchwithyuzo said:
It's the first game Sakaguchi's actually directed since FFV. And I's say people are excited mainly because it doesn't look like it plays like just another bog standard JRPG, but tries something different and progressive. Same thing with Xenoblade.
Last story is gears of final fantasy

Effect said:
Has to be kept going. This needs to happen on every single entry they make on Facebook.
Dead! Almost 600 comments.

xlw7rb.jpg

Bel Marduk said:
I just noticed that Monado went from the 12,000's to 3000's on Amazon's best selling video game since yesterday.
To be honest, this would probably be the best way to try and get NOA to do a release of Xenoblade. People should just go and preorder it in huge numbers.

Top Bottom