• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xperia Z/ZL |OT| Experience the best of Sony in a smartphone

vivftp

The processing sucks. It's getting beaten by an iPhone 5, which has the last gen Exmor R sensor. It's embarrasing considering Sony has an imaging division.

From the looks of things for the current products, Sonys imaging and mobile divsions haven't yet fully integrated to improve the cameras on mobile phones. Things like larger sensors and BIONZ processors appear to be in the pipeline for the devices coming either later this year or in 2014, by which time the integration of the 2 divisions should be much further along.

Yeah you can, especially since the difference between S4 Pro and 600 is so small. I'd understand if XZ had Tegra 3 but not when it has S4 Pro.

That's just how the human mind works. Other OEMS' flaghips will propably ship with at least a SD600, performance wise. HTC's done it, Sammy is going custom, and smaller companies go SD600 too (Some even Tegra 4 or Intel). When you see phones side by side, you tend to have a peek at the spec sheet of you can't decide, even if the difference is the smallest possible one. People simply want the best. Doesn't mean that XZ is bad.

linsivvi

If it's anything like last year, Sony will release a dozen or so phones at or beyond Z's specs. I'm going to wait a bit.

That's just how the human mind works. Other OEMS' flaghips will propably ship with at least a SD600, performance wise. HTC's done it, Sammy is going custom, and smaller companies go SD600 too (Some even Tegra 4 or Intel). When you see phones side by side, you tend to have a peek at the spec sheet of you can't decide, even if the difference is the smallest possible one. People simply want the best. Doesn't mean that XZ is bad.

Choosing S4 Pro is probably one of the reasons Sony was able to bring out XZ before the competition with their flagship.

Danj

Question for owners of this device: is its CPU beefy enough to cope with playing 720p 10-bit H.264 mkvs using something like MX Player? It won't be a dealbreaker if it can't but it would be a nice bonus if it can.

Question for owners of this device: is its CPU beefy enough to cope with playing 720p 10-bit H.264 mkvs using something like MX Player? It won't be a dealbreaker if it can't but it would be a nice bonus if it can.

I'm not sure any current ARM processor is capable of playing 10bit mkv's but I can try one later if you don't have an answer by then.

vivftp

Anyone tried one of those mods to allow you to use the volume rocker as a shutter? I imagine that is the solution to underwater photos.

BTW zomg, I was curious if you have heard anything about a new watch from Sony. I had heard there would be one, but would like confirmation from a more reliable source.

Fezan

Anyone tried one of those mods to allow you to use the volume rocker as a shutter? I imagine that is the solution to underwater photos.

BTW zomg, I was curious if you have heard anything about a new watch from Sony. I had heard there would be one, but would like confirmation from a more reliable source.
I really want smart watch but reveiws kept me away from the last one.
Hopefuly this one is better

1254-6624_Smartwatch_Black_460x360.png

http://www.sonymobile.com/gb/products/accessories/smartwatch/

Is this the old one or the new one?

Nothing abut a new watch. The only info I have is about the new camera/BIONZ stuff, I can try and find out about the watch though.

vivftp

Nothing abut a new watch. The only info I have is about the new camera/BIONZ stuff, I can try and find out about the watch though.

If you could, I would very much appreciate it :)

Going back to the new cameras on the 2h phone(s), I wonder how comparable they will be to the Pureview808. I imagine the new sensors will also be Exmor RS? If so, at least they should be more efficient than your everyday sensor. Plus over on Esato the rumor is the2H flagship will use a Carl Zeiss lens. Dunno how that will happen with Nokias exclusive contract with them though.

If you could, I would very much appreciate it :)

Going back to the new cameras on the 2h phone(s), I wonder how comparable they will be to the Pureview808. I imagine the new sensors will also be Exmor RS? If so, at least they should be more efficient than your everyday sensor. Plus over on Esato the rumor is the2H flagship will use a Carl Zeiss lens. Dunno how that will happen with Nokias exclusive contract with them though.

Should be better than the 808. I suppose they are, but it might be from the series as they put in the RX cameras, basically not a mobile phone sensor at all. If it uses CZ then it will be released under the Cybershot brand to get around the Nokia/Zeiss deal. A slim camera with Android, 4G and voice calling.

Anyway, I have heard that Zeiss are not happy with Nokia, they want out of the deal because where Nokia were previously top dog and Zeiss had co-branding on their phones it made sense. Without Nokia being market leader their branding and expertise is wasted. So they could pull out of the deal at the next break point (2014) and just licence designs to anyone willing to pay or sign a deal with another company (probably Sony given how closely their camera division and Zeiss work together already).

Danj

I'm not sure any current ARM processor is capable of playing 10bit mkv's but I can try one later if you don't have an answer by then.

Well I understand none of them can play it with hardware acceleration, but I thought that with more powerful CPUs it might be possible to do in software, particularly if it's just 720p and not 1080p?

vivftp

Damn, even though I am getting the ZL next month, I think I will be VERY tempted to upgrade to the One Sony phone if it has that camera.

Damn, even though I am getting the ZL next month, I think I will be VERY tempted to upgrade to the One Sony phone if it has that camera.

It won't be cheap. Think $799 off contract and $399 on a two/three year commitment. It's not designed to be a mass market device, more a proof of concept, just like all of the other RX cameras really.

vivftp

It won't be cheap. Think $799 off contract and $399 on a two/three year commitment. It's not designed to be a mass market device, more a proof of concept, just like all of the other RX cameras really.

I can live with that. I suppose it will also depend on when the2014 flagship will arrive. Either way, can't wait toget a ZL. Still no firm dates for Canada tho :(

Blackhead

Redarse
Old one it had very bad reviews

It came out over a year ago, and while the initial bad reviews were accurate, it's received enough updates and third party support to make it a somewhat decent product — so much so that I'm eagerly anticipating the next generation.

Fezan

It came out over a year ago, and while the initial bad reviews were accurate, it's received enough updates and third party support to make it a somewhat decent product — so much so that I'm eagerly anticipating the next generation.
Same here. I still think Sony Products get unfair reviews. Like pebble watch is getting great reviews and has less features than smartwatch with same price.
I expect similar thing to happen when Iwatch will be revealed and people will call it a revolution

Mario007

Same here. I still think Sony Products get unfair reviews. Like pebble watch is getting great reviews and has less features than smartwatch with same price.
I expect similar thing to happen when Iwatch will be revealed and people will call it a revolution
YEah i really dont know whats up with that. Reviews for the sony smartwatch were all saying things like "no one needs a watch like this" or "this is way too ovepriced", but when pebble came out everyone was ecstatic about it.

Have we heard anything about when this is coming to the US and which carrier will subsidize it?

It's happening, now that SMC has moved to Japan it's a lot faster and they are working together much better than before. The integration still isn't fully complete, there is a lot to work out still, for example the intracompany pricing for SMC for image sensors is said to be higher than what Apple pay for them. That will all change, but as with anything Sony, it takes time.

Haha reminds me of Crackle on Xbox but not on PS3 (and still not on PSV) and Hotel Transylvannia game licensed to 3DS but not any Sony platform. Maybe they are more integrated and have more synergy than before under Kaz, but still, they have a LOT of work to do.

Have we heard anything about when this is coming to the US and which carrier will subsidize it?

Haha reminds me of Crackle on Xbox but not on PS3 (and still not on PSV) and Hotel Transylvannia game licensed to 3DS but not any Sony platform. Maybe they are more integrated and have more synergy than before under Kaz, but still, they have a LOT of work to do.

Z - T-Mobile
ZL - unlocked, possibly via Sprint later this year if Sony have the manufacturing capacity to make a CDMA version.

Blackhead

Redarse

Just once I'd like to see them apply that same 'mediocre ergonomics' standard to the iPhone.

Nothing else in the review jumps out at me as being out of line. I want a proper evaluation of the 1080p display though, say by comparing reading a PDF on it versus a Galaxy Note II, Nexus 7 and iPad Mini. The washed out angles don't sound promising but I'd like to use one of these Full HD devices as a portable reader if viable..

Yjynx

7 for "Design"

Well that's an interesting take...

it's not an iphone. and also wtf is 'mediocre ergonomics' ?

I've been wanting this phone ever since I see it in person. But the GSIV and the rumour sony next flagship kept me at bay.

should I wait for the next sony flagship?

Nicktendo86

That Verge review is brutal.
The Verge said:
Much like the Xperia S that came before it, the Xperia Z suffers from the unfortunate duality of being both Sony’s best phone to date and a merely average Android handset

Not great, atleast the battery life was good which seems to be going against some of the other reviews I have read.

Still leaning towards the HTC One unless Samsung blows me away later this week

The Verge do their reviews over an extended period of time and I have found with Sony products (not just phones) that the battery takes a few cycles to break in before you get peak performance, something to do with lengthening the life of lithium based batteries. With that in mind the early reviews are not going to have good real world battery life scores. GSMArena just put up their endurance test and Xperia Z did pretty well overall.

For me it's the screen, I played around with one this morning and the reviews do not exaggarate, the viewing angles are poor. Very poor.

I'll wait for the HTC One reviews and the S4 presentation.

This is where I am as well. What I want from a phone:

good camera
good sound quality/headphone amp
expandable storage

That Verge review is brutal.

The Verge have got it wrong. Xperia Z is a solid device, complaining about it being S4 Pro and not SD600 is BS because it loses like 10% in benchmarks and basically nothing in real world performance.

That design score is pretty stupid, the Xperia Z has been winning design awards all over the place, the reviewer needs to get his/her eyes tested.

The camera could use some improvement, but the reviewer seems to have bought lock, stock and barrel into HTC's idea that less pixels are better, when so far all of the sample shots from the One seem to be the same or worse than the Xperia Z, especially when sampled down to 4MP in a like-for-like comparison. The HTC One only keeps an advantage in low light photography, which is not the be all and end all of phones/cameras. He also doesn't seem to understand what HDR is.

As for ecosystem he has marked it down because PS-Mobile is lacking games, but it still has a dedicated gaming service that few other Android phones have. If the GS4 gets a 9/10 for ecosystem it makes no sense because having something is better than having nothing. The general Android ecosystem for phones is surely a 9/10 by itself and stuff like small apps and PSM are just bonuses.

Anyway, I just don't think the reviewer did a very good job, some of the negatives seem to be very, very contrived as if they were looking for something to complain about. Also, Sony are idiots they should have sent out reviewers the best devices with the JDI screens. I know the UK has a big allocation of them, but they needed to make sure that reviewers all got the best version, even if it is slightly underhanded.

For me it's the screen, I played around with one this morning and the reviews do not exaggarate, the viewing angles are poor. Very poor.

I'll wait for the HTC One reviews and the S4 presentation.

It's weird, there is 2 different Screen Types being used with the Sharp one being the majority and the best one. The one you seen could of been a JDC Screen.

XZ-ABC.jpg

Personally I don't think the Viewing Angles are that terrible on my phone which has the Sharp Screen. It's no AMLOED but it's nothing that impacts me using the phone. And unless I have my old Galaxy Nexus beside it the blacks look really good.

Top Bottom