• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V |OT| Card Games on Hippos

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
At least I can rest easy knowing it's going to get limited/banned on the next banlist. There are some cards that should stay anime-exclusive.

I just learned earlier this week that there are now legal God Cards. Are there any viable deck types that use them, I wonder?

Ra totally got nerfed though, what a joke.

Regiruler

I still think this was the best gag: http://www.ygorganization.com/arc-v-courses-at-leo-duel-school-a-subsidiary-of-leo-corporation-llc/
I just learned earlier this week that there are now legal God Cards. Are there any viable deck types that use them, I wonder?

Ra totally got nerfed though, what a joke.

They're fairly competent in frogs monarchs (one of the more popular tribute engines), and also got new support in Dragons of Legend in the form of Ra's Disciple and Mound of the Bound Creator.

Wichu

I love how pretty much any 'God' card can use Mound of the Bound Creator. The original Egyptian Gods, the Wicked Gods, the Sacred Beasts, the Earthbound Immortals, the Aesir, the Timelords
and Koitsu, the secret best God Card

It's going into my Aesir deck as soon as I can get my hands on it. Also, I really want to try a gimmicky Summoner of Illusions deck with it (since Mound stops Summoner's effect that destroys the 'Illusion' at the end of the turn). Dem easy Exterios and Barbaroids.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Episode 5 Summary:

Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V (Nanana Appears)
おかしなおっかけ!?「紫雲院素良」 Okashina Okkake!? “Shiunin Sora” (A Strange Groupie/Fanboy!? “Shiunin Sora”)
May 4th, 2014
What the!? That character, “Nanana” appears in Yu-Gi-Oh! In the middle of Sora and Yuya’s back and forth Duel, will Nanana play an important role!?

Outline
“I wish to be your apprentice”!? The strange fanboy, Shiunin Sora suddenly appears. This mysterious young boy, Sora, keeps following Yuya around. Enchanted with Yuya’s “Entertainment Duels”, Sora asks to become Yuya’s apprentice. Yuzu finds him adorable and even her dad, Shuzou, falls for the lil’ cutie pie! Finally giving into Sora’s persistence, Yuya fights him in a Duel. But will Yuya be able to show the difference between their strengths in an Action Duel!?

Nanana is the TvTokyo Mascot, a seven-shaped banana.

8EPaGZN.png

Nanana
Normal Spell Card
(1): Target 1 Level 7 or Rank 7 monster; that monster gains 700 ATK and DEF until the end of this turn.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I bet Sora is a Killua-type character that looks harmless but is actually able to become extremely threatening.

vareon

I just watched the first two episodes, and you what, it's surprisingly decent! After watching a few episodes of Zexal I don't have much hope in Yugioh shows, but this one is really entertaining. Ridiculousness is amped to the max (PENDULUM! PENDULUM! PENDULUM!) but Yuya is an interesting character that I don't mind. Show is fun.

Is it just me or they put a liiittle bit of throwback to the original series? There's two dudes whose (front) hair is similar to Yugi and Kaiba, and Yuya's clothes follow Yami Yugi's school of physics where it's perpetually hard.

I love how pretty much any 'God' card can use Mound of the Bound Creator. The original Egyptian Gods, the Wicked Gods, the Sacred Beasts, the Earthbound Immortals, the Aesir, the Timelords
and Koitsu, the secret best God Card

It's going into my Aesir deck as soon as I can get my hands on it. Also, I really want to try a gimmicky Summoner of Illusions deck with it (since Mound stops Summoner's effect that destroys the 'Illusion' at the end of the turn). Dem easy Exterios and Barbaroids.
Had no idea these were actually cool. I have an Eraser hanging around, I think.

Watch Da Birdie

How is it compared to 5D's? 5D's is the GOAT YouGo show

5D's had a strong start, but it went so off the rails after the Dark Signers (and even during that Arc it started to show cracks like Crow) that it really soured the series for me. Apparently Zexal is the opposite, but I only made it to episode 25 before giving up.

GX in my opinion is still the best, if only that it maintains more or less a solid quality throughout. It's got a weak early part---lots of awkward fillers---but really hits its stride once Manjoume Thunder! happens, and Season 2 really picks up and runs wild all the way to the end of the show with lots of crazy shit going on. I don't think any of the writers knew what they were doing, but they seemed to have fun with it regardless, and I think that made the show better than if it was as well "plotted" as 5D's.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
tumblr_n4r343Y2h61tzr33to5_1280.png

Thoroughly entertained by episode 4. Had some real stakes, crazy moves, cool visuals, and a lot of heart. Not only that, am I the only one that thinks the OST is pretty amazing? When Yuya was doing his Block Spider thing the music was ace, same for the Pendulum Summons.

tumblr_n4pa1qzbV21s52qj7o4_250.gif

Also, as I grasp Pendulum Summons more they don't seem so hax (still pretty hax), but Odd-Eyes Dragon definitely seems broken as hell. Slap on an ATK-booster and it can do some pretty big damage unless your opponent only has low-levels. I already want it in my deck... which I haven't even started rebuilding...

tumblr_n4pceadEWL1s52qj7o1_500.gif

tumblr_n4pceadEWL1s52qj7o2_500.gif

tumblr_n4pceadEWL1s52qj7o3_500.gif

Action Duels are fricking dangerous, damn.

tumblr_n4pa1vvMvj1slkrdoo3_500.gif

LEGIT SHOOK

Shingo seems to be a great rival. Scarf dude looking cool as hell, hopefully he isn't actually evil.

Also, I totally called Sora:

I bet Sora is a Killua-type character that looks harmless but is actually able to become extremely threatening.

Knocking three dudes unconscious with one attack! Kid's a boss. Probably has an insane backstory too, can't wait.

tumblr_inline_n4pujuMA9p1s2olaa.gif

tumblr_n4p944G9AA1twl4ceo1_500.gif

tumblr_n4pm87lDke1twl4ceo2_500.gif

tumblr_n4pm87lDke1twl4ceo1_500.gif

Next ep looks to be a step down in awesome card battles while upping the wackiness.

tumblr_n4pkokqYqC1s47q0so3_500.gif

Dude... you don't go over the stall. EVER!

tumblr_n4pkokqYqC1s47q0so4_500.gif

Believe X Believe, be-be-believe buddies!

Too catchy.

Watch Da Birdie

Episode 6 Summary:

Shizaa Beaa (The Mindless Toy: Death-Toy Scissor Bear)
May 11th, 2014 at 5:30 PM on TV-Tokyo
Yuya duels with the mysterious boy, Sora, who seems to adore him! While Yuya expected a light-hearted game, he flinches when Sora’s personality does a total 180… How will he manage to stand up against a powerful monster made by a Fusion Summon!?

Outline
Yuya and his friends as Sora reveals his true colors when he performs a Fusion Summon! Yuya tries to fight back by Pendulum Summoning, but due to Sora’s tactics and strategy, Scissor Bear only gets stronger and ends up destroying Yuya’s Odd-Eyes! As Sora gets stronger and stronger, he tries to make Ddd-Eyes’ power his own. Can Yuya show him an “”Entertainment Duel”…!?

Glad to see we're seeing Fusions. Here's hoping we get new Synchros, XYZs, and...Rituals this time around instead of everyone just using Pendulums.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I knew Sora was a Killua clone! I bet he's a cold-hearted bastard when he duels.

tumblr_moirbjKsN81r0gk3qo1_500.jpg

Can't wait for Sora to "flip his switch."

I know this is about the show, but who even plays Yugioh anymore? When I stopped in 2004, the game was in shambles with how cheap and easy everything became to play. It's like Magic without land/mana and every card is super-powerful and unbalanced.

A year back, I decide to see what the consensus was on the current state of the game and came across a Yugioh message board rants about how insanely fast you can end your opponent (literally a turn or two). They were complaining about how their old-school cards (already OP ones that made me quit in the first place) couldn't stand a chance to the relentless new stuff constantly coming out. This card game sucks so much. Right from the beginning it's a race for who can go for the super-early instant kill. This pendulum garbage looks to be adding more fuel to an out of control inferno.
That's a bit of a hyperbole towards the card game. It's risk and reward. You'd be surprised how well old school card decks can destroy current gen cards. Maybe I should show off my profiles.

Todays cards ain't got shit on Invasion of Chaos. Two uber broken cards right out of the pack (at least one of which is still pretty hax in today's modern decks.)

ChaosEmperorDragonEnvoyoftheEnd-IOC-NA-ScR-1E.jpg

This motherfucker is what nightmares are made of.
Fuuuuuu-! No no no you stay banned, OP dragon of OPness!

Stupid kid I played against used Chaos Dragons to search and destroy my deck with it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Yeah. :(

Have some fanart. :)

tumblr_n4szrtwKnj1rhr9zio1_1280.png

In the meantime I'm going to be rewatching 5D's. Up to episode 9 now. I originally stopped right when the Dark Signers showed up, so I'm hoping to finish the series this time.

Watch Da Birdie

New Episodes:

Episode 7
反逆の逆鱗 ダーク・リベリオン・エクシーズ・ドラゴン Hangyaku no Gekirin: Daaku Riberion Ekushiizu Doragon (The Imperial Wrath of Treason: Dark Rebellion Xyz Dragon)
Sawatari plans his revenge after getting his hands on some new cards. Yuzu decides to stop him. But, standing before the two of them is…

Episode 8
遊勝塾の危機!!LDS襲来 Yuushou Jyuku no Kiki!! LDS Shuurai (You Show Duel School!! LDS Invasion)
Sawatari ends up severely injured due to the Duel, and word of the incident reaches Akaba Reiji, President of Leo Corporation. And a report reaches Reiji’s mother, Himika…

Episode 9
星々の裁き! エクシーズ使い「志島北斗」 Hoshiboshi no Sabaki! Ekushiizu Tsukai “Shijima Hokuto” (Judgment of the Stars! The Xyz User “Shijima Hokuto”)
In order to erase the shame of the criminals behind the “Sawatari Attack” incident, Duels between LDS and You Show Duel School begins. Yuya’s opponent is the LDS’s Xyz Course Rep: Hokuto.

Episode 10
秘石の騎士! 融合使い「光津真澄」 Hiseki no Kishi! Yuugou Tsukai “Kotsu Masumi” (The Knight of the Secret Stone! Fusion User “Kotsu Masumi”)

Looks like they're gonna actually focus on the old Special Summoning stuff with XYZ and Fusions getting representation.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Apparently the composer for Arc-V is Kotaro Nakagawa, who composed music for Code Geass (and R2) and sCRYed. No wonder the music for this series is so rocking.
75bs7Dh.gif

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Sora's a pretty weird kid. I mean, to go from this

tumblr_n5fkyrfW831s47q0so3_r1_250.gif

and this

tumblr_n5fkyrfW831s47q0so2_r1_250.gif

and this

tumblr_n5fkyrfW831s47q0so4_r2_250.gif

to this

tumblr_inline_n5fkjhrfPi1scmwml.gif

Hoping his backstory reveal is tragic and awesome. There's gotta be some reason he doesn't go to school. Rich, maybe? Like Leo and Luna.

Glad to see Fusions back in the game. Hopefully if Sora is the "token fusion duelist" then he has a lot of them and is able to get some good duels in.

As for episode 5 in particular, I felt the animation quality was a little lacking at times throughout the episode. Eyes especially. I expected more from an episode that had a week extra delay. Maybe that'll be funneled into the next couple eps? Hmm.

Music was great though. This anime has such a great score.

Edit- Seriously though this was legit creepy and awesome:

tumblr_n5ev9vcw591tx9dtlo3_r1_400.gif

tumblr_n5ev9vcw591tx9dtlo1_r1_400.gif

tumblr_n5ev9vcw591tx9dtlo2_r1_400.gif

Best play I ever made:

-Have Witch of the Black Forest or Sangan in play
-Summon Chaos Emperor Dragon
-Activate Chaos Emperor Dragon
-Search for Yata-Garasu with Witch/Sangan
-Summon Yata
-Attack with Yata
-Opponent is now Yata locked and loses the game
-Hope they don't be a dick and make me play it out

vareon

Best play I ever made:

-Have Witch of the Black Forest or Sangan in play
-Summon Chaos Emperor Dragon
-Activate Chaos Emperor Dragon
-Search for Yata-Garasu with Witch/Sangan
-Summon Yata
-Attack with Yata
-Opponent is now Yata locked and loses the game
-Hope they don't be a dick and make me play it out

Well it's THE infamous Yata lock so there's a possibility that you're the one being a dick ;) Unless in friendlies/unofficial with friends, which will probably just induce some laughs.

My favorite is Chaos Sorcerer, tho. They're cheap enough as an alternative for me!

Watch Da Birdie

V-Jump Scans shows that we'll actually be seeing Duel Terminal cards in the show, with the guy in Episode 9 use Constellars, and the girl in Episode 10 using Gem-Knights.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Episode 6... pendulum summons are such fucking bullshit hax omg.
KuGsj.gif
Infinite, free Monster Reborns. Yeah, that sounds balanced. On top of BOTH monsters on the Pendulum Scale being able to activate different effects, plus the added hax of allowing unlimited summons from the hand of monsters in the right level range every single turn. Jesus.

Apparently wherever Sora is from, Fusion summoning is "normal" and done by everyone. Interesting that the different types of summoning appear to be tied to geography. I think we'll find out eventually that Pendulum summoning is "normal" in some other part of the world and all of a sudden you'll have a bunch of bad guys showing up doing it. Dark Signers? More like Dark Pendulum-ers. Err, or something.

tumblr_n5tbt1K5Ip1t90t4ho4_500.png

tumblr_n5tbt1K5Ip1t90t4ho1_500.png

tumblr_n5tbt1K5Ip1t90t4ho2_500.png

tumblr_n5tbt1K5Ip1t90t4ho3_500.png

Sora also pulling some crazy ass ninja shit this episode, dude is totally a Killua import. DTL should be watching this show.
NoAfIpA.png

Next week's preview looks pretty cool, it's nice to see a female char on YGO actually think for themselves and stuff.

Nice to see Yuzu taking action.
I guess Shingo will have different decks in each duel. That XYZ dragon was too well animated, I bet its owner is a recurring character plus he's a
Yuuya look a like!

Kind of feel like they are going to turn Shingo into a Butt Monkey.

Watch Da Birdie

Total Manjyome vibes from Shingo in this episode---his personality, his fans (who no doubt will abandon him the more he loses), the way he switches through decks. Awesome. Manjyome was by far one of the greatest characters in Yu-Gi-Oh, and I welcome another character in his style.

If Shingo gets his own "Ojama", I hope they bring back Koitsu/Soitsu/Aitsu/Doitsu. Those would be great, plus they'd fit in Action Duels since they could ride around on their paper airplanes.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Haven't seen the ep yet but I have GIFs!

tumblr_n64qzf6RR61ro3rhro1_500.gif

tumblr_n651p2WdI31s52qj7o1_500.gif

tumblr_n651p2WdI31s52qj7o2_500.gif

tumblr_n651p2WdI31s52qj7o3_500.gif

tumblr_n656y8n9n81s024xzo1_500.gif

tumblr_n653q7Fh481s52qj7o1_500.gif

tumblr_n653q7Fh481s52qj7o2_500.gif

tumblr_n653q7Fh481s52qj7o3_500.gif

tumblr_n653q7Fh481s52qj7o4_500.gif

tumblr_n659jnBl171s024xzo1_500.gif

tumblr_n676odUVyC1sbmzgko2_r2_500.gif

tumblr_n676odUVyC1sbmzgko4_r1_500.gif

tumblr_n676odUVyC1sbmzgko3_r1_500.gif

tumblr_n676odUVyC1sbmzgko1_r3_500.gif

The "dark duelist" looks a little too goofy for me to take seriously, but people are already speculating that he could be Yuya's alter ego.

And yeah, I like what they're doing with Shingo, and also Yuzu. Hoping she isn't tossed by the wayside to give more screentime to the guys like Aki was.

Watch Da Birdie

Well Yuzu's dueling in Episode 11, against the girl who uses the Gem Knight.

Episode 6... pendulum summons are such fucking bullshit hax omg.
KuGsj.gif
Infinite, free Monster Reborns. Yeah, that sounds balanced. On top of BOTH monsters on the Pendulum Scale being able to activate different effects, plus the added hax of allowing unlimited summons from the hand of monsters in the right level range every single turn. Jesus.

Apparently wherever Sora is from, Fusion summoning is "normal" and done by everyone. Interesting that the different types of summoning appear to be tied to geography. I think we'll find out eventually that Pendulum summoning is "normal" in some other part of the world and all of a sudden you'll have a bunch of bad guys showing up doing it. Dark Signers? More like Dark Pendulum-ers. Err, or something.

tumblr_n5tbt1K5Ip1t90t4ho4_500.png

tumblr_n5tbt1K5Ip1t90t4ho1_500.png

tumblr_n5tbt1K5Ip1t90t4ho2_500.png

tumblr_n5tbt1K5Ip1t90t4ho3_500.png

Sora also pulling some crazy ass ninja shit this episode, dude is totally a Killua import. DTL should be watching this show.
NoAfIpA.png

Next week's preview looks pretty cool, it's nice to see a female char on YGO actually think for themselves and stuff.
Not technically Infinite. It's a bit OP, but im pretty sure there's gonna be cards to counter that extra deck/pendulum combo flaw.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
tumblr_n6k1aydIgU1t90t4ho4_500.png

tumblr_n6k1aydIgU1t90t4ho1_500.png

tumblr_n6k1aydIgU1t90t4ho5_500.png

tumblr_n6k1aydIgU1t90t4ho2_500.png

tumblr_n6k1aydIgU1t90t4ho3_500.png

Oh hey look, the plot!

tumblr_n6hrewmspn1qdtog2o1_500.gif

Twirly hair chick looks like a Team Rocket or Flare villain. It seems a bit too early for the first arc's main villain to be showing up, and Reiji seems like a bro (such a cool character design) so I'm gonna say she's the Rex Goodwin of the show.

tumblr_n6i1fdD5UB1s52qj7o1_500.gif

Srsly, so kewl.

tumblr_n6ki88JxeS1tcgdn8o1_500.gif

RAWR

tumblr_n6iocbTr6J1s47q0so1_500.gif

Loved this part, cause it's true. No one *really* knows how strong Sora is. It's becoming clear that his candy-loving kawaii-desu act is, well, an act.

tumblr_n6iocbTr6J1s47q0so4_r1_500.gif

Loved the closeups on him when Yuzu brought up Xyz's and when Miss Twirly Hair brought up adding Pendulum summons to their curriculum. This kid knows something~

Since they named the country this episode (Miama?), I'd say he's just from a different one but various theories say he's either an alien or time traveler (lol.)

tumblr_n6ik8qqxvN1rhygt3o1_500.png

Loved this tiny bit of fanservice. Hmm, who used those monsters, I wonder? Heh.

tumblr_n6k5jnxDEA1t5crs3o1_500.gif

Shingo's dad seems to legit care about him, and even though he seems to be on LDS's payroll he probably thinks its the best way to go. Will probably end up being a strong ally to the heroes eventually.

tumblr_n6hzkvGvft1rt1rh3o1_500.gif

The whole "WAS IT YUYA OR NOT?!?!?!??!" plot was SUPER dumb.

1. Does Yuya have purple/dark hair? Umm, no.
2. Does Yuya know how to Xyz summon? No.
3. Did Yuya have a freaking ALIBI WITH THREE OTHER WITNESSES WHEN HE WAS ON HIS WAY TO YUZU?

YES.

tumblr_n6k64cmgAi1t5crs3o1_500.gif

An episode without a duel? BORING! ;)

More of these would be great, actually.

Of course it wasn't Yuuya, check if he has XYZ cards and purple hair. I kind of wanted to see the Chairwoman and Yuzu's dad duel as well. Best 2 out of 3, someone from You Show is going to lose, please don't let it be Yuzu. Sora knows something!!!

Watch Da Birdie

Yeah, I was surprised how early we got a non-Duel episode (can't remember that happening much in the other series, outside of flashback episodes), and how much I enjoyed it. Everyone was really humorous and enjoyable to watch, really strong cast so far. Even Sawatari's nameless goons are fun characters.

I'm a bit confused at who Gougenzaka exactly is. Like we always see him hanging at You Show, but this episode and an earlier one mentions that he's an outsider...I think an earlier episode also said he had his own school.

Oh, and Ritual's blown-the-fuck-out once more. :(

Watch Da Birdie

Duel in Episode 9 was actually pretty fun---the continuous fact that Action Duels are pretty dangerous makes even minor Duels seem pretty exciting.

Even though it's been ass-pull central, I find the Duels to be visually entertaining, so that's a plus.

Despite Episode 8's set up, Gougenzaka, not Sora, is Dueling in Episode 11. Interested in seeing his Superheavy Samurai. Yuzu's Fantasia Monsters look neat, as both archetypes have been revealed to be getting support in the next OCG Pack and they seem to be pretty interesting.

Arc-V's doing good with dividing up the Duels already, hope it can keep this up.

Even though I wanted to see Sora duel instead of Gogenzaka, it was a pretty awesome duel. Only monsters in his deck and not going for Action cards is pretty brave. Loved when the Shivers kid said that it's like the X-Sabre guy is playing by himself.

Next episode Different Dimension monsters!
I think

Watch Da Birdie

Even though I wanted to see Sora duel instead of Gogenzaka, it was a pretty awesome duel. Only monsters in his deck and not going for Action cards is pretty brave. Loved when the Shivers kid said that it's like the X-Sabre guy is playing by himself.

Next episode Different Dimension monsters!
I think

It's actually DDD, I guess it stands for either Different Dimension Destroyers, or perhaps, if Konami are silly, Different Different Dimension.

And we're getting more Furnimals in the next set, so I assume Sora will be Dueling soon...possibly against whoever is using the new Qliphoth archetype also in the same set. Guess Arc-V's myth-arc is gonna be Kaballah influenced this time.

Speaking of which, the special OCG Pack which focuses on anime cards, Raging Masters, has Mist Wurm, so it looks like we're getting another Duel Terminal archetype in the show. Really like that since those cards are pretty perfect for the show's focus on archetypes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom