• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu-Gi-Oh is the next Twitch marathon! (and also RWBY I guess)

latest

F**k. I'm down.
Too bad they won't show the two movies.

Reset

jobber to the stars. He lost to make the actual stars and main villains look good

Maybe in the first season lol, in the Battle City arc dude outplays Marik and beats Yugi in the end.
Don't remember if he gets reduced to a jobber after that though, don't remember much after the Battle City arc.

jobber to the stars. He lost to make the actual stars and main villains look good

I remember Yu-Gi-Oh was where I started getting tired of what I called at the time "Goku and Vegeta Syndrome" where only the main character and sometimes his rival are allowed a major victory. Did later seasons ease up on that any?

Blobbers

can't wait to relive so many rage-inducing scenes like when Mai had a billion monsters on the field and could've annihilated Marik but decided to tribute everything for Ra

pbayne

Maybe in the first season lol, in the Battle City arc dude outplays Marik and beats Yugi in the end.
Don't remember if he gets reduced to a jobber after that though, don't remember much after the Battle City arc.

I think its an anime original arc(Kaiba has a big dumb tournament) but he fucking loses in one turn to the main villain lol.

Edit Nope actually got that mixed up its not in one turn. He still loses tho...the chump.

MayMay

Banned
Why does anyone like RWBY? Honest question. Any time I google it I just see.. like.. it's so goddamn ugly. Looks like it's a damn school project. Or one of these shitty videos in which they have badly animated 3d anime characters dance on Youtube.

Is there anything legitemately good about it or..?

GX actually becoming "good" by the end is always the the crazy part to me

Also

Jaden should have won the final matchup since his deck was more flexible then yugi's but lolmaincharacter

agree 100% but I thought GX was good throughout but I could see why people hate the earlier episodes.

Why does anyone like RWBY? Honest question. Any time I google it I just see.. like.. it's so goddamn ugly. Looks like it's a damn school project. Or one of these shitty videos in which they have badly animated 3d anime characters dance on Youtube.

Show does a legit good job at raising the stakes in the third volume and delivers on all of its foreshadowing well enough to make me actually give a shit about what was going on.

That aside, it's a fun little web series with some good fight choreography that only improves with each volume of the show.

silva1991

I feel out of touch, but when was anime marathon on twitch a thing? cool thing tho.

I will only watch some of the original anime. Couldn't care less about the other ones.

I like the characters and action and I honestly find the plot starting around volume 3 to be pretty interesting.

If you don't mind me asking how do you think it looks now based on the Volume 5 shorts?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bZAS_rzgCE0

MadeULook

I feel out of touch, but when was anime marathon on twitch a thing? cool thing tho.

I will only watch some of the original anime. Couldn't care less about the other ones.
They did a marathon with Crunchyroll that showed the entirety of various anime just a few months back. It went over well so it's not surprising that they are doing another with anime.

The PR marathon with Twitch chat was an incredible experience. I am so in for this one and the Abridged memes.

I remember Yu-Gi-Oh was where I started getting tired of what I called at the time "Goku and Vegeta Syndrome" where only the main character and sometimes his rival are allowed a major victory. Did later seasons ease up on that any?

I can't remember much of GX and can't comment substantially on anything from Zexal on, but 5Ds falls into that same syndrome. It's far more acute once 5Ds' second season properly rolls in, when it quickly devolves into a show about how the main protagonist is pretty much Jesus with only his rival and buddy (Konami: PLEASE BUY BLACKWING CARDS!) occasionally afforded some decent limelight. Practically everyone else after the first season is unceremoniously sidelined, with the main female duelist being one of the notable casualties. It got to the point where one ending song sequence literally calls her the benchwarmer.

Though I have heard that Arc-V, the most recently concluded show, does allow for a few more characters besides the protagonist and his designated rival to score major victories. It just turns out that a couple of these characters with major victories happen to be legacy characters from older shows...

Also, does Kaiba even win that many matches? The guy's a bit of a jobber, to be honest. I distinctly recall him losing to Exodia in the first episode, is on the precipice of losing to Yugi in the Duelist Kingdom were it not for his suicide threat, his losing to Pegasus and turning into a trading card, being turned into stone during the Virtual World saga, losing to Yugi in the Battle City finals and...well, whatever it is that happens during the season with the dragons. He wins against some random mooks with Obelisk at the very start of Battle City, wins a couple of rounds while tag teamed with Yugi and does admittedly take down his father in the Virtual World, probably wins against one of Dartz's minions during the dragons season, but that's kind of it.

EDIT: and almost losing to Ishizu were it not for some magical hocus pocus

Fj0823

Wasn't that only because the actual card game wasn't a thing when they first made the show or am I remembering that wrong?

Also gonna say even when I was a fan I preferred the original manga where there was a different game every chapter and the Pharaoh was more like vigilante Jigsaw.

Yes and no, first season was before the game was widespread but it was definitely a thing.

By season 2 they retconned the rules under the excuse that Kaiba wanted to make the game better, but they still had monster reborn activated during the opponent's turn

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet

Also

Jaden should have won the final matchup since his deck was more flexible then yugi's but lolmaincharacter

Season 4 of GX is honestly pretty amazing...some interesting stuff happens like that shit with Yusuke, Saiou going back to being a villain basically just because, that episode where O'Brien is forced to choose between "killing" his mom or dad, everyone being erased from existence, and the final boss literally being the straight-up goat-headed devil.

I loved GX.

Fj0823

Also

Yugi's deck is the worst Deck out of all YGO protagonists, by a large margin.

While Jaden's is still one of the most versatile decks ever, even after the Link Rules

Will skip duelist kingdom and stay for battle city, orichalchos, and millennium world. Everything else is situational based on chat

Yeah ... those season 1 duels are rough to sit through.

I mean, the series always broke the rules of the game, but shit like fusing mammoth graveyard and an arrow to poison blue eyes and I'm like

nigga-what.jpg

Joey definitely jobbed from time to time (Duke, Zigfried), but I wouldn't say that was his role in the series.

Still mad about his duel with Marik. My dude had that shit won.

Fj0823

O shit my body is ready, wonder how the dub of 5Ds is.

Awful.

They literally photoshop Ark Cradle out of the Sky to skip the last season for being "too dark"

Yusei keeps making motorcycle related puns

Also Yusei gets tickled with electricity while in prison...I mean "facility"

Awful.

They literally Photoshop Ark Cradle out of the Sky to skip the last season being too dark.

Also Yusei gets tickled while in prison...I mean "facility"

Most comments I read didn't mind 5ds dub in hindsight.

In fact I figured Yugioh wa some of the better 4kids dubs and perhaps anime dubs

Top Bottom