• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu-Gi-Oh is the next Twitch marathon! (and also RWBY I guess)

JC Lately

RWBY feels like a show that was marching in place for two seasons then burst into a sprint for the third only to collapse in an exhausted heap for the 4th barely able to stand.

And Im still sore about how they did my girl Penny wrong.

#JusticeForPenny2K17

RWBY feels like a show that was marching in place for two seasons then burst into a sprint for the third only to collapse in an exhausted heap for the 4th barely able to stand.

And Im still sore about how the did my girl Penny wrong.

#JusticeForPenny2K17

Season 4 was clearly meant to be a recovery season for the characters but I understand why that rubbed some people the wrong way after how season 3 ended.

On Penny
we still haven't seen her father and I honestly think we'll probably get a Penny 2.0.

JC Lately

Season 4 was clearly meant to be a recovery season for the characters but I understand why that rubbed some people the wrong way after how season 3 ended.

On Penny
we still haven't seen her father and I honestly think we'll probably get a Penny 2.0.

A recovery mini-arc would have been fine (indeed welcome after that Vol 3 finale)... if the back half of the season has been the characters becoming proactive again. But Vol 4 ended just when that was about to happen.

Which is my biggest problem with RWBY. It's too damn short! Episodes are too short, seasons (or volumes I guess) are too short, the animation outside of their fights are too short and jerky. Nearly everything about the show could stand to be about 10% longer.

Re: Penny -
You're probably right, but I'm of two minds about that. Obvs I love the character and want her back. But at the same time, that would cheapen the narrative impact of her death. It would also ruin the whole point of the character- that she wasn't just a machine. She can generate an Aura - that implies she had a soul. The idea that they can just recall that soul rubs me the wrong way.

Maybe Penny's "dad" could repeat the process and make give a new creation a soul... but it wouldn't be Penny 2.0. More like Penny's younger sister.

janoDX

I just want to watch the Joey vs Malik duel.

Joey was robbed. He should have faced Yugi on the finals of the Battle City, and he should have been the owner of Ra.

Farsi

shoot I'ma miss the first 4 hours of it on tuesday

How far do those 4 hours go? Can't be that far into duelist island..

You're going to miss

-Exodia hype
-Joey being a real one risking his life to save the Exodia cards by jumping off a ship.
-Joey vs Mai(Time Wizard hype)
-Yugi vs the Original jobbers (Mako, Weevil, Mokuba, Panik, Ghost Kaiba)
-Giant Yugi vs Giant Bukura
-Introducing Batman Seto Kaiba
-Peagus sending hitmen to kill Batman Kaiba.
-Bandit Keith and his gang kidnap Joey to duel Bones

You should be back just in time for Paradox Brothers and the chat is going to have a blast with that one.

You're going to miss

-Exodia hype
-Joey being a real one risking his life to save the Exodia cards by jumping off a ship.
-Joey vs Mai(Time Wizard hype)
-Yugi vs the Original jobbers (Mako, Weevil, Mokuba, Panik, Ghost Kaiba)
-Giant Yugi vs Giant Bukura
-Introducing Batman Seto Kaiba
-Peagus sending hitmen to kill Batman Kaiba.
-Bandit Keith and his gang kidnap Joey to duel Bones

You should be back just in time for Paradox Brothers and the chat is going to have a blast with that one.

Dang!

Goddamn I'ma miss some of the goats. I can imagine the shit chat will give to Weevil and Mako AHHH I'MA MISS PANIK, NO MY CATAPULT TURTLE.

I'm legit sad, I'm going to miss the best ludicrous moments.

Regiruler

latest

F**k. I'm down.
Too bad they won't show the two movies.
There's three movies. The third is legitimately fantastic and one of my top anime movies of all time. That said it only just came out this year.

kulapik

Dang!

Goddamn I'ma miss some of the goats. I can imagine the shit chat will give to Weevil and Mako AHHH I'MA MISS PANIK, NO MY CATAPULT TURTLE.

I'm legit sad, I'm going to miss the best ludicrous moments.
The site mentions "new episodes and encores" so I guess they're going to show a few episodes every day and repeat then for the rest of it. So hopefully you won't miss anything

Fj0823

Wouldn't they require you taking a shot every time anyone does anything during season 1?

You'd probably be dead before Exodia gets summoned

Nah, normal summons below level 5 are fair game.

You'd only need to take a shot every time someone:

-Normal Summons a level 5 or higher monster with no tributes
-Activates a spell during the opponent's turn
-Activates a trap before setting it face-down
-Ritual Summon without the Ritual Monster being on their hand
-Activates a Monster Effect as if it were a spell card (pendulums weren't a thing then)
-Activates a Spell Card that was shown in a previous episode as a Trap Card
-Summons a monster in the opponent's turn
-Combine Monsters with Spell Cards that are not Equip Spells
-Combine Monsters with other monsters that are not Union Monsters or have the effect to be treated as Equip Spells
-Fusion summons a non-Contact Fusion without polymerization
-Use the "effect" of a normal monster

My guess is you'd be dead halfway through Weevil's duel

Veldin

For anyone that hasn't seen RWBY and enjoys trashy shows to some extent, I'd suggest tuning in. It's just hilariously bad in a number of ways. There's a complete lack of focus with a constantly growing cast of shallow characters, pointless scenes and plotlines that don't make any sense, weightless, awkwardly animated fights, and the world-building contradicts itself everywhere. Somehow by the fourth volume the protagonist hasn't developed in any meaningful way, and what little she has accomplished was really contrived. The only positive I could point out is that volume four is better-looking overall even if the directing is still a mess.

The Crunchyroll marathon had a couple godawful shows in it, so if you're in one more I'd say it's worth a watch.

The site mentions "new episodes and encores" so I guess they're going to show a few episodes every day and repeat then for the rest of it. So hopefully you won't miss anything

"All 236 episodes of Yu-Gi-Oh! will run for a little over two weeks straight. And before you ask, yes, it’s dubbed, so those memories of watching TV in junior high will come rushing back in no time."

Lets say a little over two weeks is an extra day. 15 days = 360 hours. I'm assuming each episode is only somewhere between 20-30 minutes long, so they have to be doing lots of reruns otherwise it would be over in under half the time.

TrueBlue

For anyone that hasn't seen RWBY and enjoys trashy shows to some extent, I'd suggest tuning in. It's just hilariously bad in a number of ways. There's a complete lack of focus with a constantly growing cast of shallow characters, pointless scenes and plotlines that don't make any sense, weightless, awkwardly animated fights, and the world-building contradicts itself everywhere. Somehow by the fourth volume the protagonist hasn't developed in any meaningful way, and what little she has accomplished was really contrived. The only positive I could point out is that volume four is better-looking overall even if the directing is still a mess.

The Crunchyroll marathon had a couple godawful shows in it, so if you're in one more I'd say it's worth a watch.

As someone who likes RWBY a fair bit, I can say this rather scathing assessment is probably a bit OTT. That being said, it is a heavily flawed show, no denying that. I would always say that anyone who gives it a go should keep that in mind. Tropey as hell too.

I would also disagree with the notion that it's so bad it's good. If the characters and fights aren't grabbing you, it more than likely won't have the campy charm of Dub Yugioh to keep things fun - outside of a couple of scenes and maybe the music.

I'd never consider RWBY to be trash - particularly when it comes to anime - but I imagine it'd be aggressively mediocre if you're not buying into it. Completely inoffensive, mind.

So yeah, give it a watch. If by the end of Volume 3 it isn't doing anything for you, cut your losses. The time it takes to watch that far is only a couple of hours.

At the very least there's a bittersweet tale behind it all - a low budget passion project that has seen a fair bit of success. Just a shame that Monty isn't around to see it.

Yes!!! Yugiboy...Kaibaboy...Bandit Keith....Johnny Steps. Might skip Capsule Monsters and some of the virtual world and the most of the Orichalcos. Maybe I'll give RWBY a shot.

Luigi87

The Yu-Gi-Oh Marathon has been resecheduled to start on October 23rd.

And for fans of them (I'm a fan), Team Four Star will be doing the official pre-show.

Top Bottom