• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS Summer 2014, Wii U Winter 2014

Carlisle

I was only gonna get the Wii U version. But with release dates that far apart... Might end up with both. Well played, Nintendo.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
You're confusing correlation for causation. Those are three examples of games that sold below expectations on the Wii U, and also happen to have franchise presence on the 3DS. In reality, though, there are many more games that didn't sell particularly well on the Wii U, two out of the three titles you listed also happen to be among the best selling ones, and the fate of one of those was probably far more influenced by its Wii predecessor than the 3DS port of that predecessor. Zooming out a little further, the best selling DS game and one of the best selling Wii games happened to share a series: NSMB. A case could even be made that all three of those games would have sold worse without their 3DS cousins!

In general, "the reason" the three listed titles had limited success as system sellers probably had little to nothing to do with the 3DS.

I might confusing correlation for causation, yet I see no causation in your post.

A Nintendo fan that has a 3ds has less incentive to buy a NSMBU, a SM3DW, a DKC:TF or a SSB4 and even a Wii U for all these games when (s)he has access earlier to cheaper similar games (and also being of a good quality) and probably already played all of those games.
A Nintendo fan without a 3ds or a Wii U have the option of a cheaper handheld to play a very good (and cheaper) version of SSB4 5 months earlier than the excellent (and more expensive) version for which s(he) needs to buy a much more expensive console.
A Nintendo fan that owns both 3ds and Wii U will probably buy both versions of SSB4.

Still seeing just correlation?

Schnozberry

I really don't see the problem with the release disparity. Playing the 3DS version will probably just make me want to play the game in glorious 1080p.

Daknight

Ummmm.... you're missing a fair number of titles that can fill that space. One of which already has a release window in Japan, from what I understand.

I am simply speaking of games that will drive people to buy the system. I am aware there are other games between the release of Mario Kart 8 and the now winter bound Smash Bros. Which is the game you mention? I know there is one now, but can't remember which one outside of the One Piece one?

the post E3 fallout for Nintendo will be bad. we already have an idea of the 1st and 3rd party games coming to ps4 and x1 now, but after E3 I'm sure the amount will increase even more come fall/winter. most of these ps4 and x1 3rd party games, if not all, are not coming to Wii U. to even expect two games like Smash and Kart to carry the Wii U for 2014 is silly. Nintendo is sending the Wii U to die, it's as simple as that. software droughts, poor release dates, and no 3rd party in 2014 is too much for one console to handle two years in a row. regardless of if Zelda U is announced for Wii U this E3, the damage is done, non-Nintendo gamers are not even paying attention to the Wii U at retail anymore. Smash will just get lost in the holiday hype of ps4 and X1.

Sadly, this part is true. I do love Nintendo, but is hard not seeing them try to get games in general (outside of indie games, which I do like though). Still, they did let a year go buy without trying to establish some games. They should had revive their sport titles like they had in the SNES/64 days to combat the lack of sport titles from EA/2K.

Still, I'll get buy with my PS3 and Wii U. The PS3 I got just this christmas, so have a huge collection of games to chose from while waiting for the Wii U releases.

Ghost23

Brawl was supposed to come out in December, came out in March. They keep on saying the release window for the Wii U version as in they are aiming for that. It will be delayed.

Terrell

it doesn't matter, the point is that for quite a decent portion of people, the 3DS version is enough

Based on what exactly? How is this a guaranteed factor put into consideration? Especially considering the evidence within the GAF user base which suggests to the contrary?

I'd really like someone to break it down, point for point, exactly how 3DS will be magically "enough".

EDIT: And also.... I'm pretty sure that discussing the things people expect from the series and how they would want to play it actually DOES matter in a conversation like this.

I am simply speaking of games that will drive people to buy the system. I am aware there are other games between the release of Mario Kart 8 and the now winter bound Smash Bros.

OH.... so it's based entirely on what you personally define a system seller and nothing else matters. Gotcha. Should have figured as much.

Based on what exactly? How is this a guaranteed factor put into consideration? Especially considering the evidence within the GAF user base which suggests to the contrary?

I'd really like someone to break it down, point for point, exactly how 3DS will be magically "enough".

hold up
do you honestly believe that there are not a significant number of people in the broader market who would be satisfied with a 3DS version?
ESPECIALLY in Japan

Terrell

hold up
do you honestly believe that there are not a significant number of people in the broader market who would be satisfied with a 3DS version?
ESPECIALLY in Japan

You didn't address my question. Don't try to dodge it by making it seem like I'm being illogical. If I am, then you have some evidence to show me, since you must have based this opinion on SOMETHING factual. Otherwise, it's just your opinion and you can leave the conversation about who is and isn't right alone. Especially when you're dismissing actual merits for such an opinion to merely have the argument without bothering to defend it.

Raonak

Banned
Very strange decesion. Can't help but think this will caniballize potential WiiU sales from people who might burn out on the 3DS version before the WiiU one comes out.
Would've made more sense to release WiiU version first, then 3DS, since 3DS doesn't really need that much help selling systems.

That said I'm getting it on both because I'm a huge Smash weeb. If this was PSABR on the other hand...

Funny you say that since PSASBR was cross-buy, so you'd get both console and handheld versions for the price of one.

This is a hype killer for me. There is no way I'm getting the 3DS version, as I feel Smash is meant for a home-console because of the controls. I really wanted to have both MK8 and Smash on WiiU before September.

Now is just MK8 day one and no Smash, since I'm expecting to spend my gaming budget this fall on games for my PS4. Way to kill WiiU software sales Nintendo.

AzVal

This is a hype killer for me. There is no way I'm getting the 3DS version, as I feel Smash is meant for a home-console because of the controls. I really wanted to have both MK8 and Smash on WiiU before September.

Now is just MK8 day one and no Smash, since I'm expecting to spend my gaming budget this fall on games for my PS4. Way to kill WiiU software sales Nintendo.

On the other hand, unless it has local download play me a and my friends are going to buy a copy each, and hen at least one is going to buy the WiiU version.

I'm a little perplexed by this. I mean, I always found it a bit odd they even had a 3DS version of the game to begin with since the Wii U desperately needed that "big" game to draw in a lot of consoles sales. But then to release the 3DS version months ahead of the Wii U version? Seems like this would negatively impact the Wii U version's sales because people might get their fill of the game on the 3DS. I mean, yeah there's new stages, but is that really a big deal? The core gameplay will be mostly the same. And the 3DS version has that extra mode that sounds really cool. I'm kind of annoyed the Wii U version doesn't have that.

Nerokis

I might confusing correlation for causation, yet I see no causation in your post.

A Nintendo fan that has a 3ds has less incentive to buy a NSMBU, a SM3DW, a DKC:TF or a SSB4 and even a Wii U for all these games when (s)he has access earlier to cheaper similar games (and also being of a good quality) and probably already played all of those games.
A Nintendo fan without a 3ds or a Wii U have the option of a cheaper handheld to play a very good (and cheaper) version of SSB4 5 months earlier than the excellent (and more expensive) version for which s(he) needs to buy a much more expensive console.
A Nintendo fan that owns both 3ds and Wii U will probably buy both versions of SSB4.

Still seeing just correlation?

Well, yes.

You're making a case that the 3DS inherently has an overall negative impact on Wii U software/hardware sales. That is reasonable enough, although I would be reluctant to agree. You specifically implied, though, that three games with franchise presence on both the 3DS and the Wii U failed to sell well on the latter because of the former. That's completely baseless, however, and partly for reasons I already listed. What about all the other games that failed to sell all that well on the Wii U? How come two of those three games have solid relative performance? What about the numerous examples of Nintendo franchises with both a handheld and console presence that do incredibly well on both platforms generation to generation, ranging from Mario Kart to NSMB?

In general, franchises tend to do better when they've building on previous success. Super Mario 3D World probably wouldn't have sold more if Super Mario 3D Land hadn't been released and gone on to be very successful. They're separate games, and although they share the same core structure, they're also highly distinct from one another. I really doubt many Nintendo fans decided not to buy one because of the other, and there hasn't been a pattern of that kind of behavior in the past. Probably far more impactful to the sales of 3D World was the Wii U's install base, the Wii U's not so great attach rate, and in the same way the console has failed to break through to a mass market, even amazing games released on it have difficulty getting their share of the oxygen in the room. External competition (Sony, Microsoft, Apple, etc.) played a much, much bigger role than internal competition (3DS vs. Wii U), also.

Tropical Freeze suffered from the same problems, of course, but it's an even more obvious example of how attributing sales to the existence of a related 3DS game is overly reductionist. I mean, that exact same game also exists on the Wii, and sold far more on that platform, as well. The reception to TF's reveal was very mixed, and it was delayed past the holiday season. It was never a surprise it didn't sell very well.

So again, this is a case of confusing correlation with causation, and all the Wii U games you listed probably would have done no better (maybe even worse, since the 3DS has been Nintendo's primary contact with a larger audience recently) had the 3DS games you listed not been released. To the extent the 3DS played a role in their sales, I'd say it's more a matter of franchise management (how distinct is this game from that game, what's the demand for another of this kind of game, marketing, etc.) than anything else.

Courage

Don't wanna read through this whole thread, but are there any apparent pros for this? I can't really think of anything. The 3DS is already doing pretty well in most regions sold, what's the reason for devaluing the WiiU release, especially when it's not even just a few weeks, but a few months?

Galang

Banned
I feel I'll get burned out if I get the 3DS version at launch. Will just wait for the Wii U version... as painful as the wait will be.

Don't wanna read through this whole thread, but are there any apparent pros for this? I can't really think of anything. The 3DS is already doing pretty well in most regions sold, what's the reason for devaluing the WiiU release, especially when it's not even just a few weeks, but a few months?

Only if the Wii U has exclusive features not spoken about in the direct. Nothing seems to be hinting at that so far. There's also a slim possibility that the 3DS version will create new fans who'll want to play a superior version.

Terrell

I'm a little perplexed by this. I mean, I always found it a bit odd they even had a 3DS version of the game to begin with since the Wii U desperately needed that "big" game to draw in a lot of consoles sales. But then to release the 3DS version months ahead of the Wii U version? Seems like this would negatively impact the Wii U version's sales because people might get their fill of the game on the 3DS. I mean, yeah there's new stages, but is that really a big deal? The core gameplay will be mostly the same. And the 3DS version has that extra mode that sounds really cool. I'm kind of annoyed the Wii U version doesn't have that.

The Wii U version will have something else.

And this brings up another thing: local multiplayer. Has it been confirmed that the 3DS game has single-cartridge multiplayer? If it doesn't, Wii U has a significant advantage in that it's primarily a game bought for local multiplayer.

There's also the online play problem. Because the games don't share much in common except the roster, there will not be cross-platform online play on top of everything else.

As a multiplayer game, the 3DS version doesn't seem that attractive compared to Wii U.

Sandfox

It gives the 3DS a heavy hitter in the summer and Nintendo probably sees that as a pro.

Nerokis

It's not at all a given that releasing the Wii U version first would have had a tangible benefit to sales, whereas doing so would have likely required unnecessarily delaying the 3DS version. Since the latter is releasing sooner, right now the emphasis is on the unique features it brings to the table, but soon enough we'll hear how the Wii U version distinguishes itself, along with whatever benefits there will be to picking up both.

Most importantly, the Wii U's performance during the holiday season will be key. This puts SSB in the Wii U's holiday lineup, and I'm sure that will be a big driver of Nintendo's marketing efforts around that time.

Some are underestimating how important the 3DS version is, as well. The Wii U does need more help, but the 3DS is the bigger source of revenue by a significant margin, and it's not in such a position of strength that Nintendo could freely delay one of its flagship titles to 2015 without any costs.

Ryu751

Banned
So Smash is WiiU holiday title bummer. I was hoping for a surprise game around E3. WiiU is dead and buried man. No big games from Kart to Smash.

Hiltz

So Smash is WiiU holiday title bummer. I was hoping for a surprise game around E3. WiiU is dead and buried man. No big games from Kart to Smash.

At the company's last shareholder's meeting, Iwata did state that Mario Kart won’t be just a one-off boost in momentum. In other words, there will be at least one another big game coming out shortly after it. Nintendo usually avoids releasing games in July, so maybe a late June title or something in August. Perhaps Bayonetta 2 or Hyrule Warriors.

Ryu751

Banned
At the company's last shareholder's meeting, Iwata did state that Mario Kart won’t be just a one-off boost in momentum. In other words, there will be at least one another big game coming out shortly after it. Nintendo usually avoids releasing games in July, so maybe a late June title or something in August. Perhaps Bayonetta 2 or Hyrule Warriors.

Bayonetta could happen. Hyrule ain't big. Nintendo always hypes their games in order with Smash being next. I hope for a surprise at E3.

Crazyorloco

well, i mean, i don't think the Wii U version was going to do gangbusters anyway relatively speaking, so this makes sense to me I suppose.

Yup. Plus It wouldn't be great press. Now with the 3ds version out first it'll sell millions of copies.

It'll be THE holiday game to get for the Wii u. It'll be the reason to purchase a Wii u. The holidays are a perfect time for this.

Makes sense for me.

In this thread, we take a release date that most people already assumed and use it to prove that clearly the Wii U is dead. That is what all the cool kids are doing these days right?

I was honestly surprised that the 3DS will be coming out so soon, but it looks more like it will have minimal content and only have the barebones mechanics of the game. Will it be a sales booster? Most definitely. Will it be enough to completely overshadow the Wii U version? Certainly not. It will likely be a good game that acts more like a taste of the future rather than a overshadowed version of it. I don't recall Gaf losing their minds in thinking that MGS: GZ was basically a paid demo for MGS: PP, and would inevitably mean that the former would canibalize the latter, but then again, since its on PS4, it doesn't matter to Gaf.

Point is, the only thing we really know for sure about the 3DS version when comparing it to the Wii U version is that it has the same roster and items (maybe). It has different stages, "campaign", and likely a bunch of other differences as well. Lets take a moment to actually think about the implications rather than just screaming "Wii U is dead!" at every opportunity, yeah?

FTF

It's strange they say Winter 2014 and not Holiday 2014…unless they are concerned the game won't be finished in time, there is almost no reason they shouldn't release this before Christmas…right? :/

Anth0ny

So you guys think Smash Wii U is going to drop between December 21st and 31st of 2014?

It's gonna be early 2015, probably February or March. If they seriously intend to have this game out before Christmas, they would have said Holiday 2014.

I was so sure it would be out November 21st =/

Not

Banned
So you guys think Smash Wii U is going to drop between December 21st and 31st of 2014?

It's gonna be early 2015, probably February or March. If they seriously intend to have this game out before Christmas, they would have said Holiday 2014.

Whoa, new avatar. Nice.

I'm seriously thinking this is a pre-Black Friday title. It has to be, right?

EDIT: What else is gonna move systems? Hyrule Warriors?

FTF

I don't get it though…is the game not far enough along that they can't finish it in another 7 months? And if that's not it, why would they not release this before the holidays? It doesn't make much sense. Even those saying doom and gloom and they're letting the WiiU die off, etc. it still doesn't make any financial sense to not release it before the holidays, even if internally they have admitted the WiiU is done.

Is there any possible silver lining that they have a huge unannounced game they'll reveal at E3 that will be coming out this holiday season? I doubt it though :(

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Whoa, new avatar. Nice.

I'm seriously thinking this is a pre-Black Friday title. It has to be, right?

EDIT: What else is gonna move systems? Hyrule Warriors?

If Nintendo wants this to move any units at all, yes. January-March is so dead retail wise they would be sending the game out to die.

RK128

Nintendo more or less is letting the Wii U version die pulling this move.

The 3ds is a successful platform despite mobile getting increasingly more powerful with the 3ds having great games and 3rd party support...but the Wii U really needs Smash much more than the 3ds version does, and the 3ds version coming out MONTHS (or even a year if delayed) before the Wii U version is just saying to people "here is Smash Bros! Wait, here is the Wii U version coming at a latter date, and even though we are hyping up the Wii U version you can't play it till latter this year/early 2015....ENJOY!"

If that is what Nintendo wants to do, then stop showing the dam Wii U version and focus more on the 3ds version then :l. That is the version that's coming first, so show more footage of that before advertising the fancy version that is coming months from now.

I really feel bad for Wii U owners in this case, as it feels like Nintendo just doesn't care for them at all by doing this. They need more games coming to that platform due to lack of 3rd parties and 1st party games coming after long droughts of no games, so making that drought longer for the sake of making the version you expect to do better come first is just really messed up :(.

With all of this in mind, if I'm getting any version of this Smash Bros, its going to be the 3ds version. Not only is it coming sooner and having the same roster, but I know games are coming to the platform (not to mention all the games I missed out on from 2012-2013). I will have a blast with the 3ds version if I get it, and now have no reason to care about the Wii U.

So we're going to know the full roster (through the 3DS version) months before the Wii U version is out.

This doesn't feel right.

Top Bottom