• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Maxis is, yet again, removing basic features from new Sims 4

In The Sims 4 there are two worlds: Willow Creek, and Oasis Springs.

Each world is separated into six neighborhoods.

Here is an example of one neighborhood:

BG670ZY.jpg

Here is the park neighborhood:

And here is a neighborhood from Oasis Springs:

When you travel between each neighborhood, you encounter a loading screen.

After everything loads you enter a big area that makes you feel like you're in a big world.

However, only a tiny portion of the big area is playable:

The rest of that space is not nearby neighborhoods...it's just there for aesthetic purposes. If you try to go past the boundaries of the tiny red box the game won't let you go any further.

Any open spaces in that tiny red box are Public Spaces where Sims can roam freely.

The non-open spaces in that tiny red box are individual commercial lots or individual residential lots.

You encounter a loading screen when:

1) You go from Willow Creek to Oasis Springs (between worlds)

2) You go from neighborhood to neighborhood

3) You go between lots in a neighborhood

4) You go from a public space in a neighborhood to a non-active lot (a lot that isn't the main one that's loaded)

If you're looking for something along the lines of a AAA modern life simulator... what else is there but The Sims? Sims 4 might look lacking at best, but it's the only game in town.

The Sims so needs a direct competitor to keep it honest.
EA and Nintendo hate each other enough. Do it Iwata.

I'd love to see an independent enter the market and one up the game on Steam.

If you're looking for something along the lines of a AAA modern life simulator... what else is there but The Sims? Sims 4 might look lacking at best, but it's the only game in town.

This, a thousand times this.

DedValve

Banned
I don't think we'll ever see a sims competitor which is sad. Maybe unless they go a semi f2p route where you buy the base game and all expansions are free with several microtransactions of hair and clothes and shit. Expansions will be cut down to only major gameplay changes such as Seasons for TS2.

How about Sims 3?

McNum

EA and Nintendo hate each other enough. Do it Iwata.

I'd love to see an independent enter the market and one up the game on Steam.
I'm honestly surprised that The Sims is now reaching its fourth generation and no one has challenged it. Where the Activision game? Or Ubisoft? Yeah, even Nintendo, although Tomodachi Life and Animal Crossing are sort-of, but not quite the same genre.

Heck, look at something like Banished. That was made by ONE guy. Reaching feature parity with at least The Sims 1 and probably a good ways to Sims 4 doesn't seem impossible for an indie team.

So where is the big competitor? Does EA have a patent on suburbian simulators, or something?

How about Sims 3?
Been there, done that, got the ugly golden llama-freezerbunny-plumbob statue for Sims 4. Been playing that for years now. Made a town so old that the game couldn't load it anymore. I'm pretty much done with Sims 3.

How about Sims 3?

Exactly my point, thank you.

I really want to play Sims 4 too, despite it all, but there's no way I'm supporting their practices with a full priced purchase.

I may get it in a steam sale down the line or something but I will not encourage them to fuck me over.

However, only a tiny portion of the big area is playable:

The rest of that space is not nearby neighborhoods...it's just there for aesthetic purposes. If you try to go past the boundaries of the tiny red box the game won't let you go any further.

Any open spaces in that tiny red box are Public Spaces where Sims can roam freely.

So just like Sim City 2013. Look at this HUGE space, yet you can only play in this little tiny spot.

Exactly my point, thank you.

I really want to play Sims 4 too, despite it all, but there's no way I'm supporting their practices with a full priced purchase.

I may get it in a steam sale down the line or something but I will not encourage them to fuck me over.
Sims 4 will be in Steam? Seems highly unlikely.

Koomaster

You encounter a loading screen when:

1) You go from Willow Creek to Oasis Springs (between worlds)

2) You go from neighborhood to neighborhood

3) You go from the public space in the neighborhood to an individual lot

4) You go between lots in a neighborhood
Whoa whoa whoa...

When you say go between lots in a neighborhood, you mean if I visit my next door neighbors, there will be a loading screen? Or if I go from the gym to the library - loading screen?

Tell me that's not so. o___O

Why would anyone buy Sims 4 if parts 1, 2 and 3 all have infinitely more features, content and detail? It's like having three delicious pies in your fridge, topped with fruits and chocolate and caramel, only to go out and buy a poop-covered cake just because it is new. Stop rewarding shitty games and shady business practices.

*sigh*

Updated the OP again. I really wish I got to stop doing this, as more updates is an indication the game is only getting worse and worse.

Whoa whoa whoa...

When you say go between lots in a neighborhood, you mean if I visit my next door neighbors, there will be a loading screen? Or if I go from the gym to the library - loading screen?

According to SimsVIP:

Public space to active lot = no

Lot to lot = yes

Public space to non-active lot = yes

Neighborhood to neighborhood = yes

World to world = yes

Gurthang

Banned
I played the shit of The Sims 2 but couldn't get into the Sims 3. Was hoping to reignite my interest in the series with this but all these removed features :|

Whoa whoa whoa...

The lot that you're currently in is the "active lot." You can switch between that lot and the Public Space of the Neighborhood any time you want without any loading screens.

However, if you want to go from the Public Space to a new lot (aka. an "inactive lot") you will face a loading screen.

So if the Gym was your active lot:

Gym to public space = No loading screen

Public space to gym = No loading screen

Gym to library = Loading screen

Gym to public space, then public space to library = Loading screen

massoluk

Banned
Why would anyone buy Sims 4 if parts 1, 2 and 3 all have infinitely more features, content and detail? It's like having three delicious pies in your fridge, topped with fruits and chocolate and caramel, only to go out and buy a poop-covered cake just because it is new. Stop rewarding shitty games and shady business practices.

Actually I was quite looking forward to multitasking and revamped needs/skills. To fucking bad EA decide to remove everything else.

I once told my friend that it was a shame Andy Kaufman was dead. His style of humor was bold and too many people today are afraid of ruining their careers; they give up the joke or or become so transparent you can see through it. I recant all of that, because either Kaufman is still alive and running Maxis (EA? I don't know who really has the most hands in the cookie jar) or they are truly performing the mostly brilliantly executed Kaufman-esque business plan.

You know, they should rebrand this game into the Sins. I mean, this is their fourth game, and the fourth sin is sloth, and this is the laziest iteration of the Sims that yet exists.

It all fits together perfectly, and I can't imagine that this is all merely coincidence.

A-V-B

The lot that you're currently in is the "active lot." You can switch between that lot and the Public Space of the Neighborhood any time you want without any loading screens.

However, if you want to go from the Public Space to a new lot (aka. an "inactive lot") you will face a loading screen.

Jesus! That undoes Sims 3's claim to fame. It's like they're developing a product to drive people away.

Jesus! That undoes Sims 3's claim to fame. It's like they're developing a product to drive people away.

Seamless open world and Create-a-Style were the two defining major features of The Sims 3. Then TS4 turns right back around and completely removes them.

How Maxis expects us to think this is a legitimate evolution of the series is beyond me. TS4 is objectively inferior in many major ways than its predecessor.

1cmanny1

The devs must have been specifically told to make a plain, boring box for the base game. Then EA can get maximum profit as it sells decorations down the line. They can also use the new engine BS as an excuse to try and fool the community.

I seriously even think hardcore sims fans are going to have a hard time playing this after sims 3.

RevoDS

I don't like this. Sims 3 takes about 10 minutes to load on my computer, but at least once you're done, you barely see a loading screen, ever.

Even if they're less than 30 seconds like they say, it's still way more annoying to see load screens while you're playing than getting rid of them before you can play.

The worst part is, sure, it's less than 30 seconds of loading in vanilla TS4, but it was the same thing in vanilla Sims 3. I doubt load screens will be as quick after a dozen expansions and 26 stuff packs.

Capella

I'm also assuming that sims don't age outside your neighboorhood correct?

Unless things have changed since the last time they talked about it, unplayed Sims (which should include sims outside of your neighborhood) do age and die. However, since there is no longer any story progression like in the Sims 3, they can no longer obtain jobs, get married, or have kids unless you play them yourself.

starmud

at this point, im still in... its not like i wouldn't have picked up the expansion packs anyway. plus, im over playing the sims 2 and refuse to bother reinstalling 3 >____>

the game itself looks smooth and snappy, looking forward to reviews.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I was really excited when they finally announced that they were releasing a Sims 4(girlfriend loves those games). See this thread and nope, I am not supporting these people.

A-V-B

Unless things have changed since the last time they talked about it, unplayed Sims (which should include sims outside of your neighborhood) do age and die. However, since there is no longer any story progression like in the Sims 3, they can no longer obtain jobs, get married, or have kids unless you play them yourself.

Is this the worst or is the new Sim City the worst? I honestly cannot tell anymore.

inky

The Sims 1 base game:

1) Business
2) Entertainment
3) Law Enforcement
4) Life of Crime
5) Medicine
6) Military
7) Politics
8) Pro Athlete
9) Science
10) Xtreme

The Sims 2 base game:

1) Athletic
2) Business
3) Criminal
4) Culinary
5) Law Enforcement
6) Medicine
7) Military
8) Politics
9) Science
10) Slacker

The Sims 3 base game:

1) Business
2) Criminal
3) Culinary
4) Journalism
5) Law Enforcement
6) Medical
7) Military
8) Music
9) Political
10) Professional Sports
11) Science

The Sims 4 base game:

1) Astronomer
2) Criminal
3) Culinary
4) Entertainer
5) Painter
6) Secret Agent
7) Tech Guru
8) Writer

One of these lists is unlike the others.

God, that is truly awful. Military and Scientist were always my bro's favs.

I can't think of another series that's put out game with this much stripped compared to previous versions. I'll be sticking with The Sims 3. Aside from everything else, the lack of dishwashers unnerves me.

Zareka

Alright, I get that people have played the crap outta The Sims 2 and 3, and that 4 is new, fresh and exciting, hopefully reinvigorating your interest in the series. But when the £40/$60 dollar Sims 4 has a buttload LESS features than the two previous games...why? Sure, it's still new, but you will end up with a much lesser game anyway. You gain absolutely nothing by spending money on this new game, at least right now. It just makes absolutely no sense to me.

Yes yes yes, multitasking and build mode look cool. But that's not nearly enough to make up for what isn't there.

RevoDS

God, that is truly awful. Military and Scientist were always my bro's favs.

Is that the list for the artistic jobs only? Removing jobs is one thing, but how do you justify keeping astronomy over, say, medicine or business?

Also, the fuck does a Tech Guru do?

The Onion couldn't have invented that.

inky

Is that the list for the artistic jobs only? Removing jobs is one thing, but how do you justify keeping astronomy over, say, medicine or business?

Also, the fuck does a Tech Guru do?

The Onion couldn't have invented that.

Full job list. There are still career paths, but some base/branches are completely absent:

The full career list, with branching paths:

Entertainer: Musician/Comedian
Writer: Author/Journalist
Painter: Master of the Real/Patron of the Arts
Secret Agent: Diamond Agent/Villain
Criminal: Boss/Oracle
Astronomer: Space Ranger/Smuggler
Culinary: Chef/Mixologist
Tech Guru: eSport Gamer/Start-up Entrepeneur

Missing: Military, Law Enforcement, Medicine, Athletic, Politician, Scientist and Education.

There are no rabbit hole buildings, the Sim just disappears off the lot (no car pool either.)

Seriously, this all sounds ridiculous. I know it has no place here, but this is the type of stuff that makes me feel like they purposely are setting this game up for a subscription like EA access to make this game like an "offline" MMO. Like all this news is just disappointing in the highest degree.

Yrael

I'm guessing a lot of the jobs were intentionally cut out to make way for a big "careers" DLC pack later down the track. :/

So Real question... Why would anybody buy this instead of just playing the Sims 3, which sounds like a good game when all of the dlc? I can't imagine Mary and John Q Average Sims Gamer really care about graphics ask that much, right?

Op makes it sound like there is zero reason to buy this game... Is that true for Sims fans? What's the perk?

Looking for a non snarky elitist answer... Eg not looking for "dude bros gotta dude bro" ... What is the perk to buying the new game? At least with Sim City, it had nice graphics and was the first new sc game in ages... But that's not the case with the Sims...

inky

Op makes it sound like there is zero reason to buy this game... Is that true for Sims fans? What's the perk?

My guess is people already exhausted Sims 3 content and want something different. I was an avid Sims 2 player and I know it happened to me at the time, even with the variety of mods out there. Sims 3 -despite a ton of missing things- felt like a breath of fresh air. Granted, the leap from 2 to 3 was (or at least felt) immense, with full neighborhoods being something every Sims fan dreamed of, new build mode (my favorite thing about the game), etc.

On the other hand, this doesn't look anything close to that leap, and in fact, feels like 2 steps backwards for each one forward, for example, in Sims 2 your sims left your house lot and went to work somewhere, but there was no building or anything. In 3, workplaces were integrated into the neighborhood. You still couldn't go inside, but they were there. And in 4, there are nowhere to be found again, so sims will just disappear again. Sims 2 added the young adult age group with its university expansion. Sims 3 didn't have universities at launch (don't know if it ever did), but they kept the same age groups from before and that added some flexibility if experienced the game before the age group existed and after (now you could get part-time jobs and more of a head-start towards your career of choice). Sims 4 is removing some of them again, together with the career changes, etc.

It really does feel like a worse deal in every sense, but diehards sometimes just like that familiar but new feel. I would argue that's what EA gets away with in most of their franchises =/

Yrael

So Real question... Why would anybody buy this instead of just playing the Sims 3, which sounds like a good game when all of the dlc? I can't imagine Mary and John Q Average Sims Gamer really care about graphics ask that much, right?

Looking for a non snarky elitist answer... Eg not looking for "dude bros gotta dude bro" ... What is the perk to buying the new game? At least with Sim City, it had nice graphics and was the first new sc game in ages... But that's not the case with the Sims...

A lot of people will buy the game simply because it's the newest thing and they're looking for something different, even though so many features aren't improved, are downgraded or even completely missing. To be fair, I do think the new building features are neat so there's some advantage over previous Sims games in that sense...but the lack of Create-A-Style really hurts.

(On a tangentially related note, I just remembered this old Simpsons clip -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaOgZwk9rN8

"But she's got a new hat!"
"..."
"I WANT IT I WANT IT I WANT IT I WANT IT!"
:p)

Dead Man

I don't understand people saying they will buy this anyway. Yeah, there are no alternative games, but a bad game is not going to scratch your life sim itch. And it will make it more likely the one that follows is a bad game tool.

A lot of people will buy the game simply because it's the newest thing and they're looking for something different, even though so many features aren't improved, downgraded or even completely missing. To be fair, I do think the new building features are neat so there's some advantage over previous Sims games in that sense...but the lack of Create-A-Style really hurts.

(On a tangentially related note, I just remembered this old Simpsons clip -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaOgZwk9rN8

"But she's got a new hat!"
"..."
"I WANT IT I WANT IT I WANT IT I WANT IT!"
:p)
Yup.

Most people who buy it won't even know about the changes before purchasing it. Some will and still won't care. Of all the games in the world, this is probably the least susceptible to poor sales due to forum criticism.

Of all the things missing in this game, it's still only the toddlers and the teens height that annoys me, I am perfectly OK with the rest, especially how the lots and towns work and there size. Toddlers better come back, teen heights probably will not be changed.

Expect serious milking of expansions and stuff packs and SimStore content though, more so than ever. The short time I worked at GAME, it will not matter to most. People came in buying 4/5 packs a time.

As for "why not just play Sims 3", for me the reason is that it is old. I've played it for enough time so that now it doesn't even feel like a game, its a rush job to get 10 Career and not care about much else. Sims 4, like every Sims, has a new look, a new feel, it just looks very fresh and clean.

And I so want that USB Plumbob but I am not paying anywhere near that much money for it

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Why are you rushing to get to 10 Career then? Seems like you're not enjoying Sims 3 because you're making it into a chore.

Top Bottom