• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Men - Season 7 Part 1 - The Beginning - [S7 Part 2 begins April 5th]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope we don't see Glen ever again.

r-MARTEN-WEINER-large570.jpg

Dreamboat Glen lives forever.

Fjordson

did don and megan get divorced?

i can't even remember

my brain is fried
Not officially.

Basically Don called her from New York when he thought he was about to be fired and he came clean about all the issues he had been having at work (since she had never known he was on a leave of absence). He said it would finally allow him to move out to LA for good with her, but Megan was just sort of silent (I think part of it was her being upset about Don hiding all this from). There was some awkward silence I think and then they basically said goodbye.

It seemed really final. I thought there was a good chance that was the last scene Jessica Pare would ever do on Mad Men.

oa5WAsi.png

I've got a fever.

9YadlQ9.gif

And the only prescription

RKdwxK4.jpg

is more Glen

6PEpatz.jpg
Brilliant.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I don't think it will, it worked for Breaking Bad but Mad Men hasn't enjoyed the "netflix bump" that Breaking Bad got. Also they're two very different shows in terms of dramaturgy and the split season works better in a show like Breaking Bad than Mad Men imo.

I mean, I don't think it'll have a huge boost in ratings ala Breaking Bad, for the exact reasons you mentioned, but I think if marketed properly it could lead to an uptick in the ratings over the first half of the season and also a resurgence of the Mad Men Hype during awards season and such.

Fjordson

I just hope Hamm gives a good performance and finally gets the Emmy he deserves. And I would love for at least some consideration for like a Christina Hendricks best supporting. I know Emmy's aren't the most important thing ever, but I love all of MM's performances so much. Will be a shame to not even see Hamm get one.

Hopefully it's different from last year. If I recall correctly Mad Men got shutout.

berzeli

Banned
I mean, I don't think it'll have a huge boost in ratings ala Breaking Bad, for the exact reasons you mentioned, but I think if marketed properly it could lead to an uptick in the ratings over the first half of the season and also a resurgence of the Mad Men Hype during awards season and such.

Yeah, but I feel that a properly marketed complete season 7 would've done better both in terms of audience and awards. The truncated 7a season had the lowest ratings of the entire series and the least amount of Emmy nominations. The split season just is a format that suits Mad Men extremely poorly. Sure I could be wrong and 7b turns into a smashing success (and nothing would make me happier because Mad Men is everything) but I doubt it.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
That teaser is so stylish. I'm going to miss this show so much.

And I'm personally not reading too much into the song choices. They used an Edward Sharpe song a few years back...

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Jessica Pare (Megan) looks downright stunning in that teaser trailer and pics. Her body is amazing.

wingwah

Banned
First half of season 7 promo was everyone getting on a plane.

These promo shots are meaningless. I mean, some characters got on a plane at some point in the season. I am sure at some point some characters will attend a party.

Could be they all attend the funeral for ____.

First half of Season 7 also had a promo (the first shots I believe) of Don hailing a taxi cab in front of The Algonquin—this of course was featured in the episode where Don crashes Lou&Cutler's Philip Morris pitch.

The pics you're refering to (the plane/Pan-Am cast shots) were very stylized and much different than the ones that were recently released.
I originally thought they would be at a funeral but nobody is dressed appropriately for such an occasion.

wingwah

Banned
Eh, I doubt there are any real spoilers here. Isn't Weiner always determined to not put anything of substance in promo/preview material?

Very true, he always misleads and tortures fans with his trailers/teasers. But, there's something interesting about the setting in this trailer. I'm just an obsessed fan (I watch the show every single day) and I love reading closely into things.

I just hope Hamm gives a good performance and finally gets the Emmy he deserves. And I would love for at least some consideration for like a Christina Hendricks best supporting. I know Emmy's aren't the most important thing ever, but I love all of MM's performances so much. Will be a shame to not even see Hamm get one.

Hopefully it's different from last year. If I recall correctly Mad Men got shutout.

Mad Men's presence at the Emmys has waned the last few years, so I wouldn't say it's likely. Pretty insane that Hamm will likely not win for this role, but that's just how it goes sometimes. (Noms are the real recognition imo, there's usually several worthy winners especially in today's TV landscape)

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

I think he'll get it this time - not specifically for his performance in 7.B - but for his work across the entire series. Kyle Chandler got a pity Emmy and so will Jon Hamm!

I'd love to see the rest of the cast get some Emmy love too though. (Elizabeth Moss, Vincent Kartheiser, and Christina Hendricks in particular, although almost anyone on the show could get one and I'd be thrilled just the same)

Still baffled how that guy won for the newsroom and Hamm hasn't won anything

That was simply absurd. :/

Yeah, but I feel that a properly marketed complete season 7 would've done better both in terms of audience and awards.

It would have still gone up against the final half season of Breaking Bad and also True Detective (which didn't end up winning anything major lololol) and it would have lost to both.

The truncated 7a season had the lowest ratings of the entire series

It was actually higher rated than the first three seasons.

In terms of L+SD ratings:

1 < 2 < 3 < 7.A < 4 < 6 < 5

The split season just is a format that suits Mad Men extremely poorly. Sure I could be wrong and 7b turns into a smashing success (and nothing would make me happier because Mad Men is everything) but I doubt it.

I guess we'll see!

Maengun1

Glen is the man! The epic love triangle of Glen being torn between Betty and Sally must be resolved !

only half kidding

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
‘Mad Men’ plans series of New York City events tied to show’s finale

On March 21, Weiner, Hamm and cast members Christina Hendricks, Vincent Kartheiser, January Jones and John Slattery will sit on a panel at Alice Tully Hall for the Film Society of Lincoln Center.

The Museum of the Moving Image will open a three-month exhibition March 14 called “Matthew Weiner’s Mad Men.”

Weiner will do a personal appearance at the Museum on March 20, talking about the show with a moderator.

Weiner will also speak March 29 at the Museum of Jewish Heritage and April 28 at the 92nd Street Y.

The New York Public Library will host a “Mad Men” event after the finale in May and will publish a “Mad Men” reading list, based on 25 titles mentioned during the show’s run.

The Brooklyn Academy of Music will host a two-day “Mad Men at the Movies” festival, April 22-23. Weiner or a cast member will attend each screening to discuss that film.

Some friends and I made a short list of essential episodes to re-watch on the run up the to the finale.

We made the list of the top of our heads, and then took a look at a few critics' lists to see what we wanted to add. Here's what we've watched so far, and some reactions:

The Carousel

Just great. Interestingly, the performances are more mannered, the tone is more bottled up, and there's not a lot of surface emotion.

Shut the Door, Have a Seat

This was a bit of a disappointment on rewatch. Not that it wasn't funny and great, but taken out of context and in hindsight, it loses a lot of what made it so much fun. It's a very plotty episode, and my group tends to focus more on the character stuff, which we only get a little of. That which we get--- Roger and Don getting along again, Don and Peggy starting to seriously rift-- is great though.

The Suitcase

What can I say? Best episode of the series, completely stands up on rewatch. One thing that's really clear that I didn't quite get the first time-- all of the pitches that Don rejects are pretty good to great, one of them is even a later, iconic actual campaign in real life. It underscores just how out of it he is, with the emotional stress he's under about Anna, and the drinking. In the end, it's not about the actual ads though, it's about him and Peggy bonding over doing hard work together. Even knowing that their relationship is destined to have some pretty big future lows, it's very poignant.

Coming up, The Summer Man and The Beautiful Girls (and I forget what exactly is on our list after that, pretty sure The Strategy is in there).

Suitcase, Summer Man and Beautiful Girls are all in a row, and to me is the high point of the series so far. Three of the best episodes of the entire run all together. They were on fire. I don't think the show has every gone awry or leapt over any predatory sea creatures, but they haven't rivaled this peak, either.

berzeli

Banned
It would have still gone up against the final half season of Breaking Bad and also True Detective (which didn't end up winning anything major lololol) and it would have lost to both.
It was actually higher rated than the first three seasons.
In terms of L+SD ratings:
1 < 2 < 3 < 7.A < 4 < 6 < 5
I guess we'll see!

Hmm I see you point re: Breaking Bad & True Detective, and I must admit that I wasn't that thorough in looking at the ratings so thanks for correcting my faulty recollection of things. I still think that the split season won't pan out as a brilliant strategy, but yeah we'll see about that.

Now for a somewhat related question, has there been any talk about what Matthew Weiner is up to next?

I saw the Whose Line is it Anyway live (tour) show the other day and Joel Murray who plays Fred was one of the cast members. Guy was surprisingly funny and a little weird.

Kraftwerk

Wow, I had no idea Jon Hamm had revealed the ending in this interview ;

"Don ends up changing identities again and running an artisanal ice cream shop in Vermont. So he changes his name to 'Ben & Jerry.' Which I don't think anybody would really see coming, and this won't air till it already airs, but really, I think it works… it just works for the character."

Crazy. I like it. Very unexpected.

http://www.emmys.com/video/jon-hamm-emmy-magazine-cover-shoot

Wow, I had no idea Jon Hamm had revealed the ending in this interview ;

"Don ends up changing identities again and running an artisanal ice cream shop in Vermont. So he changes his name to 'Ben & Jerry.' Which I don't think anybody would really see coming, and this won't air till it already airs, but really, I think it works&#8230; it just works for the character."

Crazy. I like it. Very unexpected.

http://www.emmys.com/video/jon-hamm-emmy-magazine-cover-shoot

NO! He's old, he's gray, and he's trying to recapture "The Carousel" moment by pitching Mcdonald's the Arch Deluxe. That is the only true canonical ending.

And then he falls down an elevator shaft while Pete shoots up the place and jumps out the window.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom