• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT11| In This Salon, Everyone Gets A Perm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Lol at that small town that had 90% of their police force quit when a black mayor got elected. That's that Obama change you can believe in.

Slayven

J10 broke that lil dude's ankles and the ref's had to give him a penalty cause the shit was too mean.

J10's approach to life

512e206fbb6ad999be376588d40784cdc422f9d8c2fdbbb67b75b3f9a8aaba56.jpg

andthebeatgoeson

Just read that Bobbi Kristina Brown has opened her eyes, but that the quality of her life won't be known for years to come.

Honestly if anything like this were to happen I'd rather the plug be pulled on me.

lolwut
Naw, that's just hanging onto a thread. By that time, the doctor just throws up their hands in surrender.

'You keep asking me about her prognosis while crying? Yeah, we don't know. Yeah, you right, anything can happen. Yeah, you right, Good can move mountains.'

I mean, yeah, you understand. But you're asking a human being too give you hope. They are not going to fight you about it.

ReiGun

You ever look up and realize you need new friends? Not because the ones you have are bad people, but because you feel like the person you're growing into and the people they're growing into don't fit the way y'all used to...and yeah some of them are assholes (lol). So you think it's time to just find a new space to just be.

Cause that's where I'm at. And Lord knows I suck at making friends, but it's time for a new normal in my life.

Yo damn.

Trey

cosby.jpg

I finished this up last night, mostly just to get it out of the way. It wasn't an impressive read, or and important read, but at least I can say it gave some background information on why certain black personalities were less than charmed with Cosby - even before his salacious history came to fore.

Michael Eric Dyson spends most of his criticism on Cosby himself rather than the particular messages the man would argue. Which is not unexpected, though I wish more substantial arguments were offered to refute some of Cosby's worldviews. A lot of the time, Dyson would fall back on a sort of conciliatory stock argument that admits there is some truth to Cosby's arguments, but it probably would be better if Cosby wasn't a dick about it. And, true enough, not being a dick is better than the alternative, but it doesn't make for an effective rebuttal when you many of your points can be boiled down thus.

The most memorable chapter is the final one, where Dyson examines the mentality of white people, and how Cosby's messages are designed to comfort them at the chagrin of the black community. There's some interesting theory there, perhaps enough to flesh out into a better book that's not overly concerned with finger wagging Cosby.

If you're looking for some perspective on Bill Cosby's career, I suppose the book has some of that, but it's not a balanced message and doesn't have much to say on the black community besides.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
cosby.jpg

I finished this up last night, mostly just to get it out of the way. It wasn't an impressive read, or and important read, but at least I can say it gave some background information on why certain black personalities were less than charmed with Cosby - even before his salacious history came to fore.

Michael Eric Dyson spends most of his criticism on Cosby himself rather than the particular messages the man would argue. Which is not unexpected, though I wish more substantial arguments were offered to refute some of Cosby's worldviews. A lot of the time, Dyson would fall back on a sort of conciliatory stock argument that admits there is some truth to Cosby's arguments, but it probably would be better if Cosby wasn't a dick about it. And, true enough, not being a dick is better than the alternative, but it doesn't make for an effective rebuttal when you many of your points can be boiled down thus.

The most memorable chapter is the final one, where Dyson examines the mentality of white people, and how Cosby's messages are designed to comfort them at the chagrin of the black community. There's some interesting theory there, perhaps enough to flesh out into a better book that's not overly concerned with finger wagging Cosby.

If you're looking for some perspective on Bill Cosby's career, I suppose the book has some of that, but it's not a balanced message and doesn't have much to say on the black community besides.

Thanks for the review. I do think that some things that Cosby said in the past made sense, but it came from a place of talking down to people, not trying to lift them up. Atleast that is how I saw it. There is a difference between, "Dammit you look stupid with your pants sagging, do better!" and "You know, if you keep sagging your pants, it will be hard for you to find a job or even look presentable to people that don't know you".

I just bought Scarface's autobiography. I have been looking forward to reading this for awhile as he and I crossed paths a few times through the years and seemed everytime he was a different dude. Maybe the book will shed some light on exactly what he was going though.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
You ever look up and realize you need new friends? Not because the ones you have are bad people, but because you feel like the person you're growing into and the people they're growing into don't fit the way y'all used to...and yeah some of them are assholes (lol). So you think it's time to just find a new space to just be.

Cause that's where I'm at. And Lord knows I suck at making friends, but it's time for a new normal in my life.

The older you get, the harder it is to make friends. You are out of school and generally not going to places where you have to be with the same people for hours and hours. I don't count work because generally most people like to keep that work/personal life split. I broke off with alot of my friends just because we all were going in different directions. Some were getting married, some were trying to start businesses, some were going back to school, etc. We started having less and less in common. There were some like you described who just were going in reverse. Still acting like a dumbass 16 year old when you are going on 30. They got dropped quickly.

Booshka

Oh hey, been a while since I've posted. Busy with family stuff and getting out more, riding the bike and hiking. Sucks that both of my bikes need work right now, hoping to get at least one of them in good condition, so I can get back out riding. Been trying to get 10-20 miles a day in. Either through commute, or just cruising the strand or streets.

My conditioning for hiking has improved pretty quickly as well, looking forward to the Ocean heating up so I can get some swimming in too.

Too broke for Bloodborne and a PS4, so better just to tackle my giant backlog on Steam and 360, get out and exercise, and spend time with my Uncle who still recovering from a gnarly infection in his spine.

Planning on being on GAF less too, but will be lurking and checking in here and there.

Welcome to anyone new I missed.

Village

Late response:american dad has definitely benefited fron Steve's VA being a legit musician much like adventure timr with marcelene and Marshall lee. You can just throw musical bits at em.

Anyways how you all doing? Life for me in general has been a bit better.

I read Michael Eric Dyson's article. I also listened to the Black Guy Who Tips podcast, so some of that might have rubbed off on me.

Underneath all the great vocabulary, it looks like just a lot of jilted bromance. Dr. West gets jilted by President Obama, Dr. Dyson gets jilted by Dr. West. Dr. West calls Dr. Dyson a puppet and shill. Dr. Dyson spills the beans about Dr. West's crush on Anita Baker and how he was pissed that even a lowly doorman had tickets to the inauguration, but he didn't.

Bottom line, all these black voices, Dyson, West, Perry, Sharpton, Jackson, etc, etc, etc are important and legit. And it's totally cool when they disagree. The black community has been arguing about the direction it should take for ages (Booker T. Washington vs. W.E.B. DuBois was the intellectual Biggie vs. Tupac of that time). But slinging around accusations of not being black enough or being a white man in a black man's skin is uncalled for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom