• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo CEO Kimishima says Direct is alive, with at least one coming this year

TheJoRu

ilz3afF.png

https://twitter.com/serkantoto

No live stream. Also, he repeats, again, that the mobile app will "surprise us". My guess remains Nintendogs, though it would perhaps not be that surprising (except to those who believe it's something like Mario or Zelda).

Metroid Prime was still near 3 million, and all of their series (barring DKTF) has sold multi-million. They've had successes of varying degrees, and DKCR was their top.

Platinum has never sold anywhere near that, ever by any margin. They've always been extremely niche in sales.

I seem to remember Bayonetta 1 got over a million, MGR according to wiki did 430k in Japan, so I would imagine that is close to 1m globally too.

That's not the point anyway they were trying to make: There is no reason a previous title under a dev should automatically mean the next game they make can never do better. You sure as hell don't greenlight a game assuming it will do W101 sales.

Rodolink

Nintendo most likely shifted to NX some time ago...especially if the dev kits are already out there. Whatever Wii U projects were in the works have shifted to NX. Just because the games aren't announced doesn't mean they don't exist. It's likely that next year would have been the second round of Wii U games from some Nintendo devs, like Retro and EAD Tokyo. Instead, now those will be the launch titles for a new platform.

Question is, how easy is it to bring that unannounced software to a new platform. I'm expecting the initial launch games to essentially be Wii U ports (as in, games that were built for Wii U but have been moved to NX). If the NX is significantly more powerful than the U, perhaps this could even speed up development.

So, I see no real reason to think that Nintendo doesn't have enough time to get games ready to launch for 2016. Zelda, 3D Mario, Retro game, Pikmin 4 are all strong software that could easily be ready by next year. Along with perhaps some other games that have been in development but were not announced because Wii U flopped and they have been moved.

Where the trouble most likely comes in is after the initial wave of software, when Nintendo begins building games built for NX and runs out of titles that are essentially Wii U up ports.

Although I think NX will emulate WiiU games and no porting will be needed, Thats why a Zelda U on NX so you can play WiiU games but "better" just like that NX won't be in need of a lot of new games on release, only like that I see viable a late 2016 NX release. or maybe the Retro Game X is going to be the first NX game idk

Vena

I seem to remember Bayonetta 1 got over a million, MGR according to wiki did 430k in Japan, so I would imagine that is close to 1m globally too.

That's not the point anyway they were trying to make: There is no reason a previous title under a dev should automatically mean the next game they make can never do better. You sure as hell don't greenlight a game assuming it will do W101 sales.

Bayo1 made it to million on bargain binning.

AdanVC

ilz3afF.png

No live stream. Also, he repeats, again, that the mobile app will "surprise us". My guess remains Nintendogs, though it would perhaps not be that surprising (except to those who believe it's something like Mario or Zelda).

He said days ago we shouldn'd expect much of Nintendo's 1st app but now he says it will surprise us, plus a winky face... Don't know what to believe anymore. Looking forward to it though.

That's ridiculous. Does that mean we can't post Heath Ledger's Joker any more as well? You should report the mod in question, because I'm fairly certain no rules are broken if someone posts that GIF.

Thissssss. It's a funny gif of an awesome man. Nothing about that should change just because he's gone.

Anyways, really looking forward to seeing a new Direct. Without them Nintendo has felt so... silent. =/

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
ilz3afF.png

I don't think Nintendo has ever provided a live stream of a Corporate Management Policy Briefing (or regular earnings release briefing), but I might be incorrect.

Rösti;183276113 said:
I don't think Nintendo has ever provided a live stream of a Corporate Management Policy Briefing (or regular earnings release briefing), but I might be incorrect.

I recall a few back in 2006. If they weren't broadcasted live, they were recorded live and then uploaded to Nintendo's IR site. They were a big deal back then because of how revolutionary the Wii was. Iwata mostly talked about blue ocean strategies and expanding the gaming population. I gobbled those conferences up for breakfast, lunch, and dinner!

Astral Dog

And some of the worst (Skyward Sword *cough*). But seriously, from a financial perspective it makes no sense to put any resources into further WII U games. With the lineup in the second half of this year and also the one we know about for next year, it looks like Nintendo thinks in the same way. Mostly cheap cash-ins and low budget releases.
Disagree, pokemon,Zelda and Fire Emblem seem like quality releases, and Xenoblade X is not a cheap cash in at all. :/
Of course they wont put moré resources than necessary though, that was clear a few years ago.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Smells a bit like behind closed doors NX presentation to me:

Rösti@NeoGAF ‏@RostiNeoGAF
@serkantoto @NintendoDads I assume slides of both meetings will become available via the IR page as usual, or there's NDA on second meeting?

Dr. Serkan Toto @serkantoto
@RostiNeoGAF @NintendoDads The second one is exclusively for investors, so I wouldn't expect slides coming from that.

Rösti@NeoGAF ‏@RostiNeoGAF
@serkantoto @NintendoDads Thanks. Just curious, seeing as the slides of the 2014 Corporate Management Policy Briefing is up on the IR page.

Dr. Serkan Toto ‏@serkantoto
@RostiNeoGAF @NintendoDads Yes, No. 2 is really just for a closed group of major investors (which get special treatment).
Source: https://twitter.com/serkantoto/status/659435771670085632

Thread worthy?

ZombAid82

Platinum Games sales history is the fact.

Especially when their games have had underwhelming sales on systems with way bigger install bases than the Wii U.

It's not rocket science.

If you thought Nintendo was expecting The Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta to sell even well, then you don't give them enough credit.

^This!

maxcriden

Ehhh maybe a business plan for the NX, but certainly not a hardware reveal. You'd want journos for that. People who can report on their impressions. Investors are just gonna go home to their caviar and sleep. Or whatever it is that millionaire investors do.

I agree. I don't think they want to risk the NX leaking. Major investors could still be leaky ships.

Regarding the closed door meeting for big investors only, I wouldn't get your hopes up until someone actually leaks something that was shown, other than that no point.

jmizzal

ilz3afF.png

Anybody doing a thread for this tonight?

I want to see the timer so I can be ready lol

Rösti;183280481 said:
Smells a bit like behind closed doors NX presentation to me:

Source: https://twitter.com/serkantoto/status/659435771670085632

Thread worthy?

Are you gonna make the investor meeting thread? You can just put it in there

edit oh didnt see your reply lol cool then

Gimme dat:

- Super Mario Maker Christmas DLC
- Splatoon Christmas DLC
- Mario Kart 8 new tracks DLC
- Zelda TP HD
- Galaxy HD Collection / Sunshine HD
- 3D World / 3D Land DLC

I'd love 3DWorld DLC but that time has passed and is the least likely as Hayashida already said they wouldn't be back in 2013/14 and (formerly) EAD Tokyo is now hard at work at the next 3D Mario and probably wouldn't have the time for DLC on 3DW at this point even if they wanted.

This makes sense and would be great actually. But I can already imagine the meltdown over the internetz when Donkey Kong Country: Kranky Kong Goes to Hollywood gets announced.

Or Diddy Kong Prime. A 3D Metroidvania game set in the DK universe. So many mixed emotions.

Nanashrew

Banned
Or Diddy Kong Prime. A 3D Metroidvania game set in the DK universe. So many mixed emotions.

Actually, that doesn't sound like a bad idea to me because we know Diddy likes gadgets and has that peanut gun and barrel jet pack. I could see lots of upgrades and new kinds of gear for him. I'd play it.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Bayo1 made it to million on bargain binning.

The first Bayonetta is indeed one of those cases of games that have been heavily, heavily, HEAVILY overshipped (in the West, at least).

Top Bottom