• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dan's lease situation sounds like a nightmare, I've never heard of a situation where someone was absolutely stonewalled at every turn from terminating the lease no matter what. It sucks that they went ahead and found a place assuming it would be no problem to leave, guess if nothing else it's a shitty reminder to read lease agreements super closely.

Somehow that would still be more accurate than the real name.

Dan can break out of his lease, he would just have to pay an exorbitant amount for it.
~~~~
On hires, they should hire the Game Grumps. Now they can put out content every day. And they would fit right in, since they play old games frequently.(Dan from GG just soloed Space Quest 3. It was great #content)

DopeToast

Banned
It's been a while since I've visited this thread and it looks like that was probably for the best. I guess if you don't like their premium output or the amount of it then unsubscribe. That has to be the quickest way to get the point across, but I think it's really unfair to question their ethic.

Mr. F

Banned
I'd rahter Grififn wasn't prevented from making content by his bosses

It makes perfect sense that he would stick around for the job security, but I always found it funny how far removed from Polygon's general focus it seems that Griffin and Justin operate in with their video content. Although I guess that is increasingly less of an issue now that they're a "cover everything omg I don't even know" website

BearPawB

Banned
Dan can break out of his lease, he would just have to pay an exorbitant amount for it.
~~~~
On hires, they should hire the Game Grumps. Now they can put out content every day. And they would fit right in, since they play old games frequently.(Dan from GG just soloed Space Quest 3. It was great #content)

I would rather put my head into a blender

FStop7

Banned
I've always felt that Giant Bomb has more content than I could possibly have time for, and I'm always having to carve out time to go back and watch old features.

Regardless of whether there is enough content out at this very moment, ]I think it's odd to question their work ethic.

It's been a while since I've visited this thread and it looks like that was probably for the best. I guess if you don't like their premium output or the amount of it then unsubscribe. That has to be the quickest way to get the point across, but I think it's really unfair to question their ethic.

You should keep posting this over and over until it's accurate.

Game Grumps are good when they're not doing LPs which is a weird thing to say for a channel, but they're way funnier when they're not trying to fill air time and can actually think up jokes.

Just hire Danny and Ninja Brian.

2ZjAbSZ.jpg

Finally, it's here. Diving in later today. This and FFXV(playing it after TLG) is all that is left for me to play before deciding on what my top 10 list for this year is.

---

Vinny outrage + Kojima talk were fanfuckingtastic.

I watched The Rock for the first time last night. The beginning felt a little rushed through, but otherwise it was a fun little action movie. Connery and Cage were great. Definitely better than Commando, which I watched for the first time due to Film and 40's a few months ago.

The score by Hans Zimmer, Nick Glennie-Smith & Harry Gregson-Williams is damn good as well.

Alan Wake is really good... until the last hour or so.

The DLCs are dogshit when the story goes completely off the deep end as well.

I enjoyed all of Alan Wake but I kind of agree in that it kind of becomes overly complicated by the end. I'm still very interested in that world though and I very much welcome a sequel.

What's the over/under on people here keeping up with Waypoint? I had been listening to the podcast regularly but it doesn't really grab me for some reason I can't quite put my finger on. I think I might give it a rest.

Vinny really is the podcast glue, I guess.

I keep listening to the podcast and read articles. Not an avid follower of course but I keep up to speed twice a week on stuff.

Their love for the Gears franchise might be the most baffling GB thing.

Gears 4 came out at the right time, I feel. There was enough time spent away from Gears that returning to it felt right. I enjoyed Gears 4 but it could have been better to be honest when it comes to the campaign. However, MP & Horde 3.0 is top notch especially with buddies.

Man that FFXV update news is something, I think I'll just continue on playing it and beat it. Then maybe watch the new "cutscenes" or w/e on youtube, or some possible replay in a few years.

I'm only on chapter 5 or so right now so no spoilers :p

Yeah, I got the game a few days ago and I don't think I'll wait because by then there will be other games releasing and I'll be focusing on them so...yeah.

Listening to Dan jizz himself over Kojima and that new game is hilarious. It explains so much of Dan's personality where everything has to be a bit (which is ok once and a while). Trying to describe Kojima as some mad genius when in reality he's just a horrible fucking writer who can't write anything coherent to save his life is just funny.

When it comes to Kojima for me, I always enjoy his work because he always gives me something interesting to think about and I echo Dan's statement in that I adore the way Kojima mixes up military, real world stuff with super melodramatic shit. I mean if you look at MGS on a base level, it's about a dad and his cloned sons all fighting against one another.

jeff's only going to bat for BT

After finishing Titanfall 2 twice, I wouldn't mind BT winning. He's awesome thanks to the campaign that really put him and Cooper together in situations as well as good writing that really make their relationship shine.

I have added "Hot Streak" to my vocabulary. I have had numerous hot streaks within the past 38 standard hours.

Like literally anything, there are jerkish ways to phrase that request.

Okay:
-"I wish there was more content."
-"Don't feel like I'm getting my money's worth from my sub."

Not okay:
-"What the fuck do these guys do all day"
-"Youtubers with a tenth of the resources could do better than this"
-"These guys need to get their shit together"

Valid opinions can be expressed by people being a-holes. They read this thread, people should phrase things as if they were saying them directly to Jeff's face.

Yeah, I agree. At the same time, different people have different needs when it comes to how they spend their money so, sometimes I get where the complaints come from. Not everyone has disposable income and that's completely understandable. As for me I'm just glad that I am able to keep supporting the duders who did so much for me in terms of entertainment ever since way back when(Hotspot days). I look forward to the GOTY stuff in a few weeks since Alex mentioned white smoke yesterday!

Lots o people here don't watch UPF too. I'm doing a public service.

I've watched UPF since it's inception and still do because I enjoy it. Always look forward to relaxing over the weekend with some UPF, it feels wrong without watching one on weekends for me to be honest.

Game Grumps are good when they're not doing LPs which is a weird thing to say for a channel, but they're way funnier when they're not trying to fill air time and can actually think up jokes.

Just hire Danny and Ninja Brian.

Danny is great, and I think he could actually fit in with the Giant Bomb dynamic. Arin, on the other hand, is kind of stale. He relies too much on the same jokes and voices to get him through each episode.

Honestly, though, I'd rather they hire someone that isn't in the public spotlight. Dan & Austin were great hires, so I'm sure the next addition to the crew will be great.

Zaph

Dan's lease situation sounds like a nightmare, I've never heard of a situation where someone was absolutely stonewalled at every turn from terminating the lease no matter what. It sucks that they went ahead and found a place assuming it would be no problem to leave, guess if nothing else it's a shitty reminder to read lease agreements super closely.

Has he said if there was some confusion or a misunderstanding over the original lease end date? Or did he just do the Dan thing and assume he'll have no problem terminating his lease early?

I rent in a very expensive city, and yeah, while some landlords are easier to deal with than others, enforcing the original tenancy agreement (or accepting a very large termination fee) isn't exactly rare.

The landlord probably just doesn't want to have a rental property with Winter contract dates. It's the worst time to find tenants and organise moving.

Danny is great, and I think he could actually fit in with the Giant Bomb dynamic. Aaron, on the other hand, is kind of stale. He relies too much on the same jokes and voices to get him through each episode.

Honestly, though, I'd rather they hire someone that isn't in the public spotlight. Dan & Austin were great hires, so I'm sure the next addition to the crew will be great.

Arin*

But yeah he's the main one I'm thinking about when the "filling time" jokes come to mind.

I wouldn't mind Ross or Barry getting on, they do some solid work outside of Grumps.

Uncle AJ

Final GOTY list prediction:

1. DOOM
  2. Hitman
  3. The Witness
  4. Titanfall 2
  5. Inside
  6. Overwatch
  7. Stardew Valley
  8. Superhot
  9. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
  10. Rec Room

Curufinwe

Are you telling me that people aren't doing exactly that?

They are, and it is unfair.

As a consumer you shouldn't pay for anything that you don't think is good value for money, but as a poster in this thread you should realize that lack of premium content has never been down to anything like laziness. I would hate to know the amount of hours they have worked these past couple of weeks to get all the GotY stuff done in a strict time limit.

Meneses

I agree that GotY is the time that should warrant the least amount of complaining, but this discussion has been going on for quite a while and I don't think it's necessarily directed at this precise moment of GB's output.

As usual the answer probably lies in the middle of "fuck this shit, they're just a bunch of lazyasses" and "my GB duders are perfect and can do no wrong, don't you dare complain about them".

Also, the way people go about expressing their views is an important thing to consider (and i'm aware that humorous hyperbole is basically one of the official "languages" of this thread, but sometimes it's hard to toe that line).

popo

Has he said if there was some confusion or a misunderstanding over the original lease end date? Or did he just do the Dan thing and assume he'll have no problem terminating his lease early?

I rent in a very expensive city, and yeah, while some landlords are easier to deal with than others, enforcing the original tenancy agreement (or accepting a very large termination fee) isn't exactly rare.

The landlord probably just doesn't want to have a rental property with Winter contract dates. It's the worst time to find tenants and organise moving.

I might be imagining it but I swear at the start he said the landlord was cool because it allowed them to jack up the rent. Now he says the contract doesn't allow any transfer or sub letting. So it is hard to say if the landlord is a dick or Dan made some costly assumptions.

Mr. F

Banned

Oh, totally. And I'm speaking from a very specific place of not having known anyone in Dan's exact predicament, but everyone I know who had to move for whatever reason had very little trouble arranging a sublet while honouring the rest of the term. Sucks that it isn't an option.

sungahymn

Neo Member
Man, that Beastcast discussion about the PS2 and how much more powerful smartphones are, really made me realize how far we've come technologically speaking. It's almost scary.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I hope Ratchet & Clank and Forza Horizon 3 are included in the list if Uncharted and Gears manage to get in there.

I could see Dan push for Pokemon but I think he's the only one that played

Still in Early Access

Also, while it was great content, so much of the fun was due to Handibot, who is obviously not part of the game. That game Vinny played the other game was just as great content for us, but that clearly is not a good game. Rec Room is obviously well made made compared to that other game, but I think it will make few, if any, top-10 list.

oti

Banned
Man, that Beastcast discussion about the PS2 and how much more powerful smartphones are, really made me realize how far we've come technologically speaking. It's almost scary.
Imagine how amazing mobile video games would be if phones had buttons. Man.

I really need to charge my 3DS so I can play that game. I've been loving the 2d picross I've been playing on my phone.
Do you know the first 3D Picross? It's very different from the 2D one and I'd advice to play that before you fall in love with 3D 2.

DopeToast

Banned
As usual the answer probably lies in the middle of "fuck this shit, they're just a bunch of lazyasses" and "my GB duders are perfect and can do no wrong, don't you dare complain about them".

This. I'm defending them, but never want to make it seem like I'm just kissing their ass. They've rarely if ever done me wrong in the six-plus years that I've followed them, so I give them the benefit of the doubt when stuff like this happens. I assume they know how to create content and run a games website better than me. And if it ever got to the point that I felt my subscription wasn't worth it then I would unsubscribe. But I can't in good faith tell them how to do a job that I have no experience in, even if I'd like more content.

The last four months (dating back to Aug 9) of non-UPF (because really, it's terribly boring 99% of the time) premium content

16 videos
http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/premium/

Here's the same span of time (August 9 to December 9) in 2014:

30 Day Trial: World of Warcraft - Part 03

Spookin' with Scoops: 8/13/14

30 Day Trial: World of Warcraft - Part 04

Metal Gear Scanlon: Part 01

Jar Time - 8/24/14

Metal Gear Scanlon: Part 02

Metal Gear Scanlon: Part 03

Spookin' with Scoops: 8/26/14

Metal Gear Scanlon: Part 04

Demo Derby: Toys "R" Us: Attack of the Killer Demos!

Coffee 'n Cameras 'n Q&As: 09/04/2014

Metal Gear Scanlon - Part 05

Metal Gear Scanlon - Part 06

Don't Try This At Home: Alex & Dan's PAX Prime 2014 Prep Work

Metal Gear Scanlon - Part 07

Metal Gear Scanlon - Part 08

Giant Bomb East versus The PC!

Demo Derby: PlayStation Underground: Volume 3 Issue 3

Metal Gear Scanlon: Part 09

The PC and the BEast: Final Thoughts

Metal Gear Scanlon: Part 10

GBE Test Stream: 9/26/14