• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT3|

strafer

I dont have a favorite tekken game really, though I will say the game I have played most is Tekken 3, oh man so much Tekken 3.

And second is Tekken Tag Tournament, was super psyched about that game when I saw the screens in a PS2 magazine.

Rajang

I dont have a favorite tekken game really, though I will say the game I have played most is Tekken 3, oh man so much Tekken 3.

And second is Tekken Tag Tournament, was super psyched about that game when I saw the screens in a PS2 magazine.

The good old days.

CSX

Saw this from Wonkey. I think everyone here knows how much damage Akuma can do with full meter + wall but it's still quite a sight to see lol

DQfQEDR.gif

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
As of whatever build they're using, Kuma only has one outfit. His alt outfit. It comes in four colors.

Hopefully things won't be this dire on release. Hopefully it's just a very unfinished prerelease build. Hahaha. Yeah.

Pachimari

I'm thinking of paying my old folks a visit and spend a little time with Tag 2 while I'm there. Do anyone know a juggle and combo that goes well together for Bruce that I can try and practice?

Perineum

I'm bummed Marduk didn't make the final T7 roster. MAR DOOK!!!

There's a lot of characters I want to try since I have only casually dipped around with T6 and TTT2.

Which of these characters are easy to pick up and learn?

Steve Fox
King
Lars
Kazuya
Paul Phoenix
Heiachi
Bob
Akuma
Dragunov

I literally like all of these characters lol, and could see myself maining any of them. I would say Steve Fox is my favorite of them all though.

Pompadour

There's a lot of characters I want to try since I have only casually dipped around with T6 and TTT2.

Steve Fox
King
Lars
Kazuya
Paul Phoenix
Heiachi
Bob
Akuma
Dragunov

I literally like all of these characters lol, and could see myself maining any of them. I would say Steve Fox is my favorite of them all though.

I'm no authority but I've read that Steve plays very differently to most Tekken characters so I'm not sure how much knowledge would transfer if you decided to pick someone else later.

I'm also maining Steve, btw.

Pachimari

I'm so afraid that if Josie isn't popular enough that she'll either be dropped or replaced with Bruce (who I love btw) for the next Tekken game. I feel like Josie isn't as popular as other new characters?

Perineum

I'm no authority but I've read that Steve plays very differently to most Tekken characters so I'm not sure how much knowledge would transfer if you decided to pick someone else later.

I'm also maining Steve, btw.

I think I remember reading that too long ago. I think I also heard that you don't want to mess with the Mishima boys since EWGF is hard to do perfectly for bread and butter combos.

AAK

I'm thinking of paying my old folks a visit and spend a little time with Tag 2 while I'm there. Do anyone know a juggle and combo that goes well together for Bruce that I can try and practice?

Can't get you a link now, but just check Youtube for Bruce BnB combo's in Tag2.

Steve Fox
King
Lars
Kazuya
Paul Phoenix
Heiachi
Bob
Akuma
Dragunov

In my opinion going from Hardest ---> Easiest

Kazuya
Steve
Heihachi
King
Paul
Dragunov
Bob
Lars

Can't comment on Akuma.

Edit:

Deserves to be mentioned but anyone that wants to have a quick description and overview of each character should look at Fergus's guide:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yqgxbES6su4clpQou2hzlZN40rpPBtwmMRKWfexbj3g/edit

Rajang

Steve Fox
King
Lars
Kazuya
Paul Phoenix
Heiachi
Bob
Akuma
Dragunov

Definitely play Steve if he is your favorite. Yeah, he ain't easy but if you like a character that much the learning process will be great.

And the easiest on that list imo are Paul, Bob and Dragunov.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Steve isn't mechanically difficult per se, it's just that he really rewards having good game knowledge because of the way he plays.

If you like him, learn him, he's really fun.

AAK

who are the easiest characters to pick up, or does it matter?

They matter when you want to win in a high pressure situation. The easier the character, the less likely you will botch the execution that could potentially lead to your demise. Easy characters also allow you to reach a more competent playing field with less time spent in practice mode trying to understand/be able to execute the techniques of your preferred character.

My subjective opinion of the easiest characters are: Jack, Lili, Lars, Bob.

I can't comment yet on the newer T7 characters.

Beckx

They matter when you want to win in a high pressure situation. The easier the character, the less likely you will botch the execution that could potentially lead to your demise. Easy characters also allow you to reach a more competent playing field with less time spent in practice mode trying to understand/be able to execute the techniques of your preferred character.

My subjective opinion of the easiest characters are: Jack, Lili, Lars, Bob.

I can't comment yet on the newer T7 characters.

thanks, on that list Lars is the only one really interesting to me. I like Jin waaaaay back in the day, where does he stand in the modern game?

Beckx

i'm not worried about tier lists, more than my execution is generally bad (and isn't something that gets better with time) and so i tend to look for (relatively) simple to play characters that have a straightforward game plan with short combos.

Rajang

Low execution characters: Jack, Feng, Alisa, Asuka.

Edit:

Fergus did a better job giving summaries of characters than I ever could:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yqgxbES6su4clpQou2hzlZN40rpPBtwmMRKWfexbj3g/edit

Have a look at that to see how difficult/easy characters are and what their strengths/disadvantages + character traits are. Check out the Jin page to see what he's about.

Yeah, great summary. Except that I don't understand how he sees Feng as a medium difficulty character, imo he is very easy and I say that as someone who mains Feng.

Beckx

Fergus did a better job giving summaries of characters than I ever could:

Have a look at that to see how difficult/easy characters are and what their strengths/disadvantages + character traits are. Check out the Jin page to see what he's about.

thanks, this is great. it seems like they wrote Kazumi just for me "Recommended for players who like * Short moveset and simple gameplan * Easy execution * Rushdown oriented poke heavy playstyles"

also interested in Asuka, Katarina, Jin and Claudio. Need to read more. (oh and King too but I know that may not fit with me, still going to play him especially if I can make it rain.)

Steve Fox
King
Lars
Kazuya
Paul Phoenix
Heiachi
Bob
Akuma
Dragunov

Based on playing to max potential:
Moderate - Bob, Lars, Paul
Somewhat difficult - Steve, King, Drag
Difficult - Kaz, Hei, Akuma

Generally the more difficult to pick up (execution required and overall knowledge) the more rewarding they are when played to max potential.

Ex: Hei without electrics is still solid, with, is a beast.
Ex: Akuma without EX cancel knowledge is meh. With, is a terror.

cordy

Banned
I'm so afraid that if Josie isn't popular enough that she'll either be dropped or replaced with Bruce (who I love btw) for the next Tekken game. I feel like Josie isn't as popular as other new characters?

Nah, more than likely it'll be that boy who was in Bruce's T5 ending after a timeskip.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Low execution characters: Jack, Feng, Alisa, Asuka.

Edit:

Yeah, great summary. Except that I don't understand how he sees Feng as a medium difficulty character, imo he is very easy and I say that as someone who mains Feng.

Once you get into all the stance parry stuff he gets a little trickier. Watch footage of Hao using his more esoteric stuff.

sasuke_91

Steve isn't mechanically difficult per se, it's just that he really rewards having good game knowledge because of the way he plays.

If you like him, learn him, he's really fun.

Actually, Steve is also pretty hard execution-wise if you want to go for max damage combos and decent mix-ups because of the constant cancelling of moves into stances and stances into other stances.
Most of that stuff is more tied to knowledge though, so you're mostly right.

Who is going to use the Rage Art button?

I'm not. My characters' rage arts are pretty easy to execute, so I'll keep the buttons for other stuff.

PhineBuyM3

Good, she never should have replaced Bruce in the first place. Dudes had been asking for an Eskrima practitioner from the Philippines and he opts for a busty crying chick with another character's moves instead
mindblown.png

Lren

Who is going to use the Rage Art button?

I've always liked doing the input for raging demon so nope. Shaheen's is also just both punch's so it's not really needed. Would rather use the button for LP+HK or LK+HP since I struggle with doing those inputs quickly (if I ever need to).

Rajang

Once you get into all the stance parry stuff he gets a little trickier. Watch footage of Hao using his more esoteric stuff.

Yea, I'm aware of Hao. And none of his tools/stances are hard to use. Newer players maybe overwhelmed because he has so many good moves, but that's literally it. And like with any character it's best to limit yourself first and keep it simple.

Oh wow, this is great.

:D

AAK

I don't play Feng at all, and I wouldn't understand Fergus's reasoning behind Feng's 'medium' difficulty either but one of the things which probably make him harder to play is the awareness of spacing when punishing. For example his hopkick launcher doesn't have the best range so even if you blocked something launch punishable you have to be aware and knowledgeable enough about the range of his limbs to land the proper punishes consistently. His shoulder is beast though.

And for however easy Feng may be, It's even easier with characters like Jack/Lili/Bob/etc.

Pachimari

Good, she never should have replaced Bruce in the first place. Dudes had been asking for an Eskrima practitioner from the Philippines and he opts for a busty crying chick with another character's moves instead
mindblown.png
I'll take what I can get. Josie's my main from now on out.

Top Bottom