• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGS: Snake Eater 3DS - New Trailer [Update Rumor: Delayed?]

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Boney said:
So I want to go browsing on my 3DS?
Oh, you got jokes.

SpaceBridge said:
Is there anyways to resize those pics to 3DS size screen to get an accurate impression of how they may look?

I mean, I saw screen of RE Mercs they are pretty gross, but in person they look great. Could this be a similar situation?
Well, the only alternatives are to view the pictures in this post individually on the 3DS browser or save them to your SD card and view them on the 3DS.

Even then, the images will be smoother than what it would actually look like the 3DS screen.

Boney

Banned
I'm seriously asking! hehe

Saint Gregory said:
I didn't know the were making those yet, I thought the max size right now is 2GB.
I think I remember someone saying that. Could've been a clueless rep or just my imagination. But I remember someone saying it'll be like the first 3DS game to use one.

M3d10n said:
By the looks of it... that doesn't seem to be the case anymore
Or yeah, that's probably it. Slashing that budget.

M3d10n

Boney said:
Didn't somebody said it'll run on a 4GB card?
By the looks of it... that doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

And that terrible mip-mapping... that ugliness happens when you generate the mip-maps for S3TC settings using the wrong filter settings. I made that mistake a few times... the texture just morphs into something completely repulsive when the mip-maps kick in, I have no idea why DDS/S3TC tools still offer those options at all.

Ergo, it seems Konami is blindly running the textures through batch downsamplers to fit the game down into whatever new small game card they budgeted to the project.

After RE:R, they should have just pretended this game didn't exist at Gamescon.

weeaboo

Boney said:
I'm seriously asking! hehe

I think I remember someone saying that. Could've been a clueless rep or just my imagination. But I remember someone saying it'll be like the first 3DS game to use one.

Or yeah, that's probably it. Slashing that budget.

That's what google say

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/967411/mgs_3d_too_big_for_3ds_cartridges.html

"We incorporated so many 3DS-exclusive features into this game, but the only problem we ran in to was the size of the 3DS cartridge itself. We spoke to Nintendo about this issue and they let us use, for the first time ever, an exclusive 4GB cartridge for the game."

I wonder if the random high-res textures factor into the gameplay somehow? Maybe you collect them like the rubber frogs and if you find them all it unlocks the real game?

snap0158u1e.png

snap018eu2d.png

snap027wuxu.png

snap0294ucw.png

snap0350ufd.png

snap041iuto.png

snap045ru5t.png

vs

zfhnw9uvx.jpg

ztmwi5u3v.jpg

you decide

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
This level of hardware shouldn't be trying to accomplish stuff like this it just doesn't look pretty in the end, give me isometric metal gear!

M3d10n said:
By the looks of it... that doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

And that terrible mip-mapping... that ugliness happens when you generate the mip-maps for S3TC settings using the wrong filter settings. I made that mistake a few times... the texture just morphs into something completely repulsive when the mip-maps kick in, I have no idea why DDS/S3TC tools still offer those options at all.

Ergo, it seems Konami is blindly running the textures through batch downsamplers to fit the game down into whatever new small game card they budgeted to the project.

After RE:R, they should have just pretended this game didn't exist at Gamescon.
JUst when I thought no developer would be cheaper than Namco's Tales of the Abyss/Ridge Racer.

Here comes the title that promised to do it right (new graphics, way better than the original ones) being downgraded after downgrade into a muddy piece of crap.

Devalued by the announcement of a HD collection with way better value. I don't get it, are they that stupid?

antonz

lowrider007 said:
This level of hardware shouldn't be trying to accomplish stuff like this it just doesn't look pretty in the end, give me isometric metal gear!
This level of hardware can handle the game just fine and even better than the original if Konami gave a shit.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
antonz said:
This level of hardware can handle the game just fine and even better than the original if Konami gave a shit.

I'm not so sure tbh , you're really pushing the 3ds's specs when your trying to create a full 3D polygonal game with a 'realistic' art direction, I personally don't think the 3DS is cut out for these types for GFX's.

I hope I'm proved wrong though.

antonz said:
Well, yeah, we saw how the original tech demo was… it was mighty fine.

This port has gone from:

"Really" Enhanced version > "Normal" competent PS2 port with PS2 graphics > Piece of turd PS2 port/watered-down downgrade

What next? sub peace walker graphics? they're just being lazy.

I swear Kojima seems like a kid with attention deficit disorder, it's like every time he see's something he has to mess with it, until something else comes around and he drops it altogether.

- "OMG 3DS, 3D is the futureeeeee, I want to make MGS3 for it"

- "Oh, since you have it running on a workstation? how cute, here's MGS2 source code too, since we're porting it let's port it to every system in existence and let's do a bundle 2 for the price of one, but 3DS will still be full priced. Oh and let's announce it right away our fans will be delighted, nonono, it won't kill MGS3DS momentum"

"Were you supposed to make the 3DS version better? oh screw it, I can't be arsed let's go wild with this port stuff, just port and make it fit on this smaller cartridge"

"ZOMG, I want to make a new ZoE"

"OMAGAUD! IT'S PSP2 I WANT TO MAKE A TECH DEMO OF MGS4 RUNNING ON IT"

"OMG, let's develop a new game engine just for the kicks, let's call it fox engine, oh and do a tech demo that is not really a game just so we waste our time"

Meanwhile… MGS Rising is still not done.

I mean, wtf are they doing really? it's like they're trying to do everything and accomplishing nothing.
Boney said:
Maybe 3ds can't handle red. The other pics posted by serenade are a lot better.
It can't handle mario?

next thing you'll say Virtual Boy can't handle red.

Texture compression is always harder on red'ish colors, but it's their fault for batch converting that shit worse than amateurs would.

MGS 3DS first started as a tech demo by Kojima to test the capabilities of the system, that was it.

After E3, they saw that there was a big demand for an MGS3 Port/Remake so they greenlit the project. And as far as I know, Kojima was not directly involved with the project since then.

So yeah, this explains why the port is so shitty.

StuBurns

Banned
BurntPork said:
After seeing these pics, I'm positive that ZOE was nothing but a troll.
I think that could be different. The system is not at fault here, the game is. And it's a port, I'm not surprised they don't care. A new KojiPro game should get the care and attention expected.

BIONIC-ARRRMMM!! said:
MGS 3DS first started as a tech demo by Kojima to test the capabilities of the system, that was it.

After E3, they saw that there was a big demand for an MGS3 Port/Remake so they greenlit the project. And as far as I know, Kojima was not directly involved with the project since then.

So yeah, this explains why the port is so shitty.
It's still his fault.

He clearly has a 5 minute attention span limit.
StuBurns said:
I think that could be different. The system is not at fault here, the game is. And it's a port, I'm not surprised they don't care. A new KojiPro game should get the care and attention expected.
This should get care.

You can't promise home made food and deliver a 5 day cheeseburger that was vomited on.

Myansie

Saint Gregory said:
I bet what's going on is that there isn't enough space for all the textures on the 3DS cart so Konami's being forced to compress the bejezus out of them. MGS3 is a long game IIRC.

This sounds like our culprit. Was the original on a dual layer DVD which is like 8 gig? They're trying to compress it to a 4 gig cartridge, which has now probably been downgraded to 2 due to lack of interest.

Myansie said:
This sounds like our culprit. Was the original on a dual layer DVD which is like 8 gig? They're trying to compress it to a 4 gig cartridge, which has now probably been downgraded to 2 due to lack of interest.
Due to a HD collection with way better value.

They shot their own game, and after that they made it worse and worse.

They should just let it die (and not release it), it's quite obvious this is a coffee break trainee effort by now.

EDIT: MGS3 is not dual layer, and they can use S3TC here (and clearly are using it… albeit wrong), PS2 didn't support it so textures took more space.

BurntPork

Banned
StuBurns said:
Don't say I didn't warn you.

jett

D-Member
Myansie said:

MGS3 came in a single-layer DVD.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Whipped this up real quick, http://www.mediafire.com/?4d9aq179bkp13mx

Unzip and extract the folder into the DCIM folder on your SD card.

I'll make another one with a jaggy filter when I get home.

lowrider007 said:
It's not the hardware's fault.

PS2 graphics are no big deal, this is 2011 and 3DS rapes it in the butt. (as it should, really)

Massa said:
The 3DS is what it is. It was outdated from the day it was released, people have to accept it and move on.
I find it amusing that we're blaming the console for a lousy port.

3DS is middle end, as all portable gaming hardware that wants to sell at a profit should be really. It's actually pretty capable for what it is.

And this game would be no big deal for it (and end up looking better than it's PS2 counterpart as the original demo was), if only it had been handled with respect.

jackdoe

For such a lousy port, I'm surprised that they actually delayed it. I thought they'd just half-ass the rest of it and release it on schedule.

jackdoe said:
For such a lousy port, I'm surprised that they actually delayed it. I thought they'd just half-ass the rest of it and release it on schedule.
They want to release after HD collection is out.

They believe it'll increase sales, lol.

M3d10n

lostinblue said:
MGS3 is not dual layer, and they can use S3TC here (and clearly are using it… albeit wrong), PS2 didn't support it so textures took more space.
The PS2 used 8-bit and 4-bit palettized textures, which are the same file size as S3TC textures. So the only sure way to make them smaller is by reducing their size. Using some ZIP-like compression could work too (*if* they aren't already compressed on the PS2), but loading times would suffer due to the added de-compression time.

Really, when they first showed the Naked Sample I was actually expecting a game with less content (a re-imagining of sorts), because it would be impossible to remake the entire 4.8GB game at that level of quality without increasing its size (due all the added normal mapping and better models), specially when it was announced that 3DS cards would be 2-4GBs.

Massa

lostinblue said:
I find it amusing that we're blaming the console for a lousy port.

3DS is middle end, as all portable gaming hardware that wants to sell at a profit should be really. It's actually pretty capable for what it is.

And this game would be no big deal for it (and end up better than it's PS2 counterpart as the original demo showed), if only it had been handled with respect.

A middle end device doesn't run at 400x240, that's what the PSP did 7 years ago.

antonz

Massa said:
A middle end device doesn't run at 400x240, that's what the PSP did 7 years ago.
It is still a Wii like device in handheld form. Its more than powerful enough to achieve MGS3 in better than ever quality as many other games. The problem is Konami doesnt give a shit because they are in port mode. Shitty Upscaled HD ports, Shitty 3DS ports etc

Top Bottom