• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kickstarter Thread | List of gaming kickstarts

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is old but it got funded quite some time ago (2010). It's an Interactive Fiction game for the iPhone (like the old text based adventure games) by Andrew Plotkin. I'm very much looking forward to it when it eventually comes out.

- Hadean Lands ($31,337)

mclem

This is old but it got funded quite some time ago (2010). It's an Interactive Fiction game for the iPhone (like the old text based adventure games) by Andrew Plotkin. I'm very much looking forward to it when it eventually comes out.

- Hadean Lands ($31,337)

Yeah, I was disappointed when I found out about this, 'cause I'm a big fan of Plotkin's work.

Haunts: The Manse Macabre
Has a somewhat neat concept (turn based-strategy in a randomly generating creepy mansion, can play as monsters defending the mansion or people exploring it), some gameplay footage, and the reward tier for the game is cheap.

Alcarys Complex
Another fairly ambitious looking RPG project. They at least have a demo.

MrBud360

Jane Jensen Kickstarter have 3 days left. They need 90K to reach the Stretch Goal of 450K, right now they have 360K and the stretch goals are:

$400K: A longer, fully cinematic opening sequence / trailer. PLUS Moebius on LINUX!
$450K: An extra 1000 lines of dialogue to flush out the game and the main theme recorded with a live orchestra

With 50$ you get 2 new adventure gamers from the Gabriel Knight creator! If you like adventures you cannot miss this one! Let´s go guys!! Final 3 days! They need help!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1005365109/jane-jensens-pinkerton-road-2012-2013-csg

With 50$ you get 2 new adventure gamers from the Gabriel Knight creator! If you like adventures you cannot miss this one! Let´s go guys!! Final 3 days! They need help!

This project has always felt like it was trying way too hard. It's exactly like The Banner Saga: "Only $50 more gets you TWO MORE GAMES THAT HAVE NOT BEEN MADE YET".

But... where is the budget for those other games? Where is that coming from? This is where transparency is needed. If this were anyone else, people would be going "wait, I'm not going to fund this because they think they can make a trilogy off $300k".

There was an article about how these Kickstarters prey on the fact that the average backer will know nothing about how games are made. It's hard to say that it's wrong.

Mimir

It is a little weird that it hasn't come out yet. I wonder what the original timeline was and whether the backers are getting pissed.
I'm starting to get annoyed, since almost all of his updates are for other iOS projects. The only real info he's given on Hadean Lands is that after 1 year, he finished the outline for the game. Since then, he's stated the game is progressing, but didn't go into any details. The timeline is when it's done.

Acosta

This project has always felt like it was trying way too hard. It's exactly like The Banner Saga: "Only $50 more gets you TWO MORE GAMES THAT HAVE NOT BEEN MADE YET".

But... where is the budget for those other games? Where is that coming from? This is where transparency is needed. If this were anyone else, people would be going "wait, I'm not going to fund this because they think they can make a trilogy off $300k".

There was an article about how these Kickstarters prey on the fact that the average backer will know nothing about how games are made. It's hard to say that it's wrong.

It has been extensively explained in videos and interviews with Jensen.

RPS Interview said:
RPS: The other big question that jumps out is the fairly small amount being asked for – just $300,000. How’s this going to pay for a whole new adventure game?

Jensen: Well, basically the game we’re planning is about the size of GK1 – around 50 scenes and about 10 hours of play. Even so, that would normally cost at least double what we’re asking, but we’re putting in some cash, and the team we’re using is Eastern European. Their rates are pretty low, and they’re also taking a discount in exchange for some revenue share.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/04/23/interview-jane-jensens-pinkerton-road-adventure/

They secured a more traditional financial backer for Mystery Game X. Originally that game was only going to get made if the kickstarter hit $600k.

More detail on their financial numbers would be nice, since it all is very different from the norm. They've got Jane and Robert who are footing some of the bill themselves, the kickstarter funds towards Moebius, whoever is backing Mystery Game X, and development studios who are working for less than usual for a higher percentage of profits.

Gets more complicated if "X" turns out to be Gabriel Knight, since then Activision would need to get paid somewhere in there.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Not to mention that I'm sure they all hope for the games to actually bring in profit allowing them to self fund past that point or attract investors rather than hope they can stay afloat via Kickstarter forever which sounds quite uncertain...

Not to mention that I'm sure they all hope for the games to actually bring in profit allowing them to self fund past that point or attract investors rather than hope they can stay afloat via Kickstarter forever which sounds quite uncertain...

Well the idea with Pinkerton Road is they want to do this kind of "pay us $50+ and get our games for the year" thing every year. I guess they could move on to doing that without kickstarter, but it's a really easy way to take the orders.

Though I imagine if the games are financial successes it will mean not having to get $300k from ks donors to make anything. Either they'd have more profits to put back into development, or will attract more publisher interest.

But if the games bomb sales wise, they'd probably need another $300k (or more) kickstarter to do a "season two" of Pinkerton Road.

Alexios

They'll do more than one game/year?

Didn't pledge there so wasn't paying attention.

JoseJX

Haunts: The Manse Macabre
Has a somewhat neat concept (turn based-strategy in a randomly generating creepy mansion, can play as monsters defending the mansion or people exploring it), some gameplay footage, and the reward tier for the game is cheap.

Really interesting idea, cheap ($5) entrance fee, plus a Linux (Win/OSX too!) version? Backed! Hope it turns out well, it looks like they have a solid path to completion here.

MrBud360

The second game will be published by an outside company. It will be just a reward for the backers! Jane is using her money to fund the Moebius project. Almost half of the project will be made with Jane's money. Jane is one of the best game designers ever, with more then 6 top adventures made. If we can't trust her, we can trust anybody in the industry.

If we can't trust her, we can't trust anybody in the industry.

... so she's the only good person in the entire gaming industry?

Don't you think you're being a bit overdramatic?

It's that kind of blind faith in a developer/studio that makes things like shitty Gamestarters and shitty games possible. A Kickstarter campaign does not automatically make it "okay" to have blind faith.

Alexios

... so she's the only good person in the entire gaming industry?

Don't you think you're being a bit overdramatic?

It's that kind of blind faith in a developer/studio that makes things like shitty Gamestarters and shitty games possible. A Kickstarter campaign does not automatically make it "okay" to have blind faith.
Seems you're being overdramatic, since he didn't say what you just said. I don't even know why you chose that way to reply to that since it seems what you really want to say is "trust no one" rather than "don't only trust Jensen".

What's a shitty Gamestarter and how is trusting a developer with a given track record and the right pitch that resonates with people in all the right ways, from self investment to long term plans to an obvious intent to make a new business work, allowing them?

And who has faith in the countless no name companies that make shovelware in amounts most websites don't even bother reporting anymore when the majority don't even know they exist? Clearly shovelware exists for reasons other than your claims too...

voodooray

Ouch, seems like there was a security leak that only got plugged last Friday, but HOLY SHIT at the amount of money they are getting:

Kickstarter, which takes a 5 percent cut of all funds pledged to successful projects, raised nearly $100 million for 27,000 projects last year, and has become something of a household name in the past few months. Kickstarter recently announced that it has raised a total of $200 million over the past three years.

Ninja Dom

Yeah. Amazon Payments doesn't charge you unless the project reaches it's goal.

Must be quite some slap in the face for projects that want hundreds & thousands of dollars and then only achieve two thousand dollars.

Being a Ninja I naturally looked at the first game in the OP, Ninja Warz. That project was way, way off it's desired target.

Wiktor

I would assume that before pledging people actually read the kickstarter page and watch the video, which I don't think you did. And if they don't, well, then they can only have themselves to blame.

I would assume that before pledging people actually read the kickstarter page and watch the video, which I don't think you did.

You're right, I didn't. I got as far as "subscription a year long thingy" and tuned out. Which is another thing to bring up: did it always have backing or was it just recently?

You're right, I didn't. I got as far as "subscription a year long thingy" and tuned out. Which is another thing to bring up: did it always have backing or was it just recently?

Initially they were going to make one game if Kickstarter hit $300k and two if it hit $600k. $30 donations would get you one of them, $50 would get you both.

Early backers got to vote on which game would be made at $300k from three concepts (Moebius won over Gray Matter 2 and "Anglophile Adventure").

Mystery Game X, the game funded by some outside party was not added until recently. There's seemingly some legal red tape preventing them from saying what the game actually is or who is funding it. It's hinted that it may be Gabriel Knight related.

Early backers got to vote on which game would be made at $300k from three concepts (Moebius won over Gray Matter 2 and "Anglophile Adventure").

That was another thing that struck me as "wrong". Vote for the game we have not even made yet but we started the Kickstarter for. I dunno. I have no doubt that they know what they are doing (minus the reward tier balance), but that doesn't always translate into "we can do this".

That was another thing that struck me as "wrong". Vote for the game we have not even made yet but we started the Kickstarter for. I dunno. I have no doubt that they know what they are doing (minus the reward tier balance), but that doesn't always translate into "we can do this".

Well they gave backers a pdf with brief pitches for each game with concept art and stuff.

But yeah probably would have gotten more attention, at least early attention, if they just went with Moebius and played up the "spiritual successor to Gabriel Knight" in the title of the kickstarter. Not sure it would have gotten tons more money, but it would have probably gotten to the target sooner.

jrDev

It's an AAA game (Arena Arcade Action :p) for iOS/PC/Mac.

It's weird that projects don't launch immediately, though it says they will review and approve it. I doubt they do much of reviewing based on the certain scams that were revealed lately; they probably just hit the "Launch New Projects" button and call it a day.

mclem

I doubt they do much of reviewing based on the certain scams that were revealed lately; they probably just hit the "Launch New Projects" button and call it a day.

I believe their level of reviewing is just to confirm that the project falls within the Project Guidelines; they don't make a judgement call about the quality or lack thereof on the project itself. I'd assume that's largely because they don't have the expertise necessary to determine if the average proposed project is genuinely viable, so they leave it as a let the buyer beware thing.

jrDev

I believe their level of reviewing is just to confirm that the project falls within the Project Guidelines; they don't make a judgement call about the quality or lack thereof on the project itself. I'd assume that's largely because they don't have the expertise necessary to determine if the average proposed project is genuinely viable, so they leave it as a let the buyer beware thing.
I know but I find it really hard to think they can't pay someone to do just that with the 200+ (?) million they made last year...

[EDIT] Future KS updates will continue on post: 1161

Currently Ongoing:

(Listed by end date)

- Bring DIVEKICK to PC(Ends Aug 1st) Funding met. Ongoing.
- Kaiju Combat - the ultimate Giant Monster Fighting Game(Ends Aug 2nd | Thread) Ongoing.
- Detective Grimoire: Mystery Adventure Game for iOS/Android (Ends Aug 2nd) Ongoing.
- Moon Intern (Ends Aug 7th) Ongoing.
- Super Techno Kitten Adventure (Ends Aug 7th) Ongoing.
- Crea (Ends Aug 7th) Ongoing.
- Bad Dudes 2 (Ends Aug 8th | Thread) Ongoing.
- STAR COMMAND: Kickstart Part 2 - The PC/Mac Space Adventure (Ends Aug 8th) Ongoing.
- Jack Houston and the Necronauts (Ends Aug 9th) Ongoing.
- OUYA: A New Kind of Video Game Console (Ends Aug 9th | Thread) Funding met. Ongoing.
- Super Motherload (Ends Aug 12th) Ongoing.
- Defense Grid 2 (Ends Aug 14th | Thread) Ongoing.
- Shadowrun Online (Ends Aug 14th | Thread) Ongoing.
- aMaz3D (Ends Aug 14th) Ongoing.
- Penny Arcade Sells Out (Ends Aug 15th | Thread) [Funding met. Ongoing.
- Wicked Crush (Ends Aug 15th) Funding met. Ongoing.
- GameDock for iPhone, iPad, and iPod Devices (Ends Aug 16th) Funding met. Ongoing.
- BAD PLANET (Ends Aug 16th) Ongoing.
- Volgarr the Viking (Ends Aug 23rd | Thread) [Funding met. Ongoing.
- Castle Story (Ends Aug 26st | Thread) [Funding met. Ongoing.
- Resurrect ADOM development (Ends Aug 30th) Ongoing.
- Knock-knock (Ends Sep 11th) Ongoing.
- Dread (Ends Sep 30th) Ongoing.

Successfully Funded:

(listed by most to least funded)

- Double Fine Adventure ($3,336,371 | Thread)
- Wasteland 2 ($2,933,252 | Thread)
- Shadowrun Returns ($1,836,447 | Thread)
- The Banner Saga ( $723,886 | Thread)
- Leisure Suit Larry ($655,182| Thread)
- Carmageddon Reincarnation ($625,143| Thread)
- Tex Murphy's Project Fedora ($598,104 | Thread )
- MaKey MaKey: An Invention Kit for Everyone ($568,106)
- Yogventures! ($567,665)
- Republique by Camouflaj + Logan ($555,662 | Thread)
- Two Guys Spaceventure -By the Creators of Space Quest ($539,767 | Thread)
- Grim Dawn ($537,515 | Thread)
- CLANG - A game about sword fighting ($526,125)
- Jane Jensen's Pinkerton Road 2012-2013 CSG ($435,316 | Thread)
- Dead State: The Zombie Survival RPG ($332,635)
- Pathfinder Online Technology Demo ($307,843 | Thread)
- TAKEDOWN ($221,833 | Thread)
- FTL: Faster Than Light ($200,542)
- Turrican Soundtrack Anthology by Chris Huelsbeck ($175,534 | Thread )
- Code Hero: A Game That Teaches You To Make Games ($170,954)
- Zombie Playground (#zpg) - 3D Action, Online Battle RPG ($167,590)
- Nekro ($158,733 |Thread)
- The Dead Linger ($154,968)
- Xenonauts($154,715 | Thread)
- Tropes vs. Women in Video Games ($158,917)
- Starlight Inception™ ($158,152 |Thread )
- "Fallout: Nuka Break" Season 2 ($130,746)
- Diamond Trust of London ($90,118 | Thread)
- Legends of Eisenwald ($83,577)
- Drifter: A Space Trading Game ($81,304)
- Pinball Arcade: The Twilight Zone ($77,499 | Thread)
- Spriter (gaming related) ($71,179)
- Auditorium 2: Duet ($71,061 | Thread)
- Kinetic Void ($66,528)
- Quest For Infamy - An Adventure Game By Infamous Quests ($63,281)
- Super Retro Squad ($53,510)
- The Repopulation ($53,169)
- Redux: Dark Matters - for Sega Dreamcast, iOS and More ($53,121 | Thread)
- Valdis Story: Abyssal City ($49,574)
- Ravaged ($38,767)
- Kitaru ($35,758 | Thread)
- Battle of the Bulge: the simulation game for the iPad ($37,186)
- Legends of Aethereus - Action RPG ($35,544)
- Guns of Icarus Online ($35,237)
- Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones ($34,026)
- Lilly Looking Through: An animated adventure game ($33,516)
- Castle Crashers Necromancer Figurine ($31,992)
- Hadean Lands: Interactive Fiction for the iPhone ($31,337)
- Malevolence - The INFINITE RPG! ($30,871)
- Haunts: The Manse Macabre ($28,739)
- 3D Dictionary 「SanJiten」 - interactive Language Learning Video Game. ($28,086)
- Farmageddon - The frenetic farming game ($25,274)
- Atari 2600 Star Castle ($23,946)
- Cloudberry Kingdom ($23,582)
- Boot Hill Heroes - Wild West Retro RPG with 1-4 Player Co-op ($18,092)
- Vigrior : Maneuver Warfare ($17,427)
- Rock Vibe - Accessible Gaming ($17,400)
- Guncraft: Voxel-based First Person Shooter ($16,487)
- The Crystal Catacombs($16,361)
- Match and Magic ($16,061)
- Colossal Cave: The Board Game ($14,815)
- Auro ($14,571)
- Pixel Sand ($13,616)
- The Return of Tom vs. Bruce ($13,545 | Thread)
- Zoneplex - A Board Game Adventure in an Alien Pyramid ($13,459)
- Flame War - The Card Game of Extreme Moderation ($13,416)
- Geek A Week: Legends of Videogames ($13,206)
- Chuck's Challenge 3D ($13,130)
- Paper Sorcerer ($13,151)
- City Conquest: Tower Defense Evolved ($11,170)
- Ron Paul: Road to REVOLution ($11,073)
- Aura Tactics ($11,027)
- UFHO2 - A Turn-based Strategy Game ($10,872)
- Unemployment Quest! - a non-epic RPG ($10,486 | Thread)
- College-Ruled Universe ($8,628)
- Against the Wall ($8,416)
- The Departure Game App ($8,014)
- Erythia: Shattered Dreams ($7,939)
- Sira the Game ($6,547)
- SpaceChem: Limited Edition ($6,528)
- Last Class Heroes - 2D Action RPG Eyecandy! ($5,855)
- Alcarys Complex - Story-Driven Action RPG ($4,864)
- Americana Dawn ($4,791)
- Team Notion - 2D beat em up for PC and Mac (Vita and Mobile) ($3,596)
- Fly Killer ELITE! ($3,342)
- TRIP - AN ABSTRACT SURREAL EXPLORATION EXPERIENCE ($2,213)
- Paper Knight's Story -by udivision ($1,644)

Unsuccessful Projects:

- Ninja Wars (Ends May 2nd) Unsuccessful
- Your World (Ends May 3rd) Unsuccessful
- Hard Contact (Ends May 3rd) Unsuccessful
- Thomas Was Alone - Final Stages (Ends May 8th) Unsuccessful
- Super Mario Bros. World 1-1 in Lego form (Ends May 10th) Unsuccessful
- Gravitaz (Ends May 10th) Unsuccessful
- Delaware St. John 4: Asylum of The Lost (Ends May 14th) Unsuccessful
- Police Warfare (Ends May 18th | Thread) Canceled
- Squad Wars (Ends May 19th } Thread) Unsuccessful
- Gubble 3D: New Retro Maze Videogame by ex Atari Designers (Ends May 23rd) Canceled
- Legend of the Time Star: A Retro Action RPGUnsuccessful
- Realm Explorer (Ends May 28th) Unsuccessful
- Conquest 2 Vyrium Uprising - RTS fans unite ! (Ends Jun 8th) Cancelled
- Watch me build a fighting game - EXPO FIGHTER (Ends May 31st) Unsuccessful
- Cross of the Dutchman (Ends May 31st) Unsuccessful
- Battle Chess (Ends Jun 1st) Unsuccessful
- Super Fun Time (Ends Jun 2nd) Unsuccessful
- Dark Meridian (Ends Jun 4th) Unsuccessful
- The Indie Console (Ends Jun 8th) Unsuccessful
- Project-X Video Game Battle Suit (Ends Jun 13th) Unsuccessful
- MICROMON: A Monster Capture Game for Mobile Devices (Ends Jun 15th)Unsuccessful
- Reap! (Ends Jun 18th)Unsuccessful
- Rob Swigart's Portal (1986) Reborn v2.0 (Ends Jul 3th) Canceled again!?
- All Games Radio Network (Ends Jun 21st)Unsuccessful
- Mr Poopie (Ends Jun 22nd)Unsuccessful
- The Battles You Have Always Wanted to See (Ends Jun 23rd)Unsuccessful
- Sam Suede™ in Undercover Exposure (Ends Jul 16th)Canceled
- Ground Branch (Ends July 6th) Unsuccessful
- Alpha Colony: A Tribute to M.U.L.E. (Ends Jul 15th | Thread )Canceled
- Gentrieve 2 - First Person Metroidvania (Ends Jul 18th) Unsuccessful
- Spinlanders: A new way to dungeon crawl for iOS and Android (Ends Jul 20th) Unsuccessful
- Exodus Wars: Fractured Empire for PC (Ends Jul 20th)Unsuccessful
- Skyjacker (Relaunched) (Ends Jul 23rd) Unsuccessful
- Steam Bandits: Outpost (Ends Aug 10th) cancelled.

Aselith

The $25 Reward Tier rubs me the wrong way:
"Get the game months before release".

So does that mean we get a beta build? Does he just not know how games are made? I'm confused.

Well.
That's why they invented the PM.

Well considering he's also selling that shitty looking game for $25, I'd say chances are good that he doesn't understand the industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom