• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homeland |OT| Claire Danes and Damien Lewis in the best new drama of the season

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdt

I swear I look back at this show and I feel worse about it everytime I do. I have no hope left for this, if ever a show need to wipe the slate clean for S2, it was this one.

I'll watch though, I really hope they can serve me a nice plate of crow.

I swear I look back at this show and I feel worse about it everytime I do. I have no hope left for this, if ever a show need to wipe the slate clean for S2, it was this one.
Just based on some sub-par marketing materials and the potential memory wipe at the end of the season, or do you think less of the entire season every time you take another look at it?

gdt

Just based on some sub-par marketing materials and the potential memory wipe at the end of the season, or do you think less of the entire season every time you take another look at it?

The middle and the latter.

The latest trailer is all I've seen so far, haven't kept up with it.

And I don't think less of the entire season actually. Just the last episode, and where I fear the show will go, and should have gone.

LM4sure

Banned

I'll watch though, I really hope they can serve me a nice plate of crow.

Yeah, definitely a cop out for him not to blow everyone up in the bunker. I was so pissed. Not sure if I will watch another season. I'm sure it'll be more BS like that

gdt

Yeah, definitely a cop out for him not to blow everyone up in the bunker. I was so pissed. Not sure if I will watch another season. I'm sure it'll be more BS like that

While that is something that really bothers me (only because I feel his story is done...he pulled the trigger), what really fucks the whole S2 up for me is the amnesia. Put both together and its a big pile of

why

Mifune

Mehmber
I fail to see how a Homeland without Damian Lewis would be better than a Homeland with him.

Plus early word on the premiere from critics is stellar so I'm excited.

LM4sure

Banned
While that is something that really bothers me (only because I feel his story is done...he pulled the trigger), what really fucks the whole S2 up for me is the amnesia. Put both together and its a big pile of

why

Yeah, I forgot about the amnesia. Total horseshit. But I continue to watch Dexter and that show has even worse writing. So I may actually watch the second season. What is wrong with me?

kehs

Banned
I fail to see how a Homeland without Damian Lewis would be better than a Homeland with him.

Plus early word on the premiere from critics is stellar so I'm excited.

After reading that the show was intentionally meant be seasonally insular, I'm a bit disappointed. They could make bigger splashes by having shorter arcs with a definitive end.

Damien Lewis is super awesome though.

Sean

Banned

why

While I agree the amnesia stuff was kind of weak, I wouldn't really worry about it being some long term plot that lasts the entire season.

These writers did the same thing on 24. At the start of every season Jack Bauer is at his lowest point, depressed and dressing like a bum, no longer working for CTU, etc. Then by the end of the premiere everyone is freaking out when he does something badass and goes from zero to hero once again.

It's just super satisfying to watch the hero bounce back.

- Season 2 Trailer (youtube)

Another poster:
ihN7DMp1uIVLp.jpg

big ander

Is there any info how many seasons they are going to make out of this?

showtime show so probably 7+
(american TV rarely, if ever, gets an end date. and if it does, it's after 3 or 4 seasons and it's for 2 or 3 seasons in the future. There will be a lot of seasons if ratings keep up and very few seasons if ratings fall.)

Fry

This show should have four seasons, max. Unless they pull off something brilliant that will prolong the plot somehow.

3-4 seasons would make sense to me. BTW do we know whether the vice president will be president at the start of S2, or whether the season will start during the campaign (including Brody's congressional campaign) season?

Rewatched "The Weekend" last night - such a gut punch. Great episode.

3-4 seasons would make sense to me. BTW do we know whether the vice president will be president at the start of S2, or whether the season will start during the campaign (including Brody's congressional campaign) season?
I haven't read through these, but I assume the Comic-Con panel details that I posted a few months ago have details on that sort of thing:

showtime show so probably 7+
(american TV rarely, if ever, gets an end date. and if it does, it's after 3 or 4 seasons and it's for 2 or 3 seasons in the future. There will be a lot of seasons if ratings keep up and very few seasons if ratings fall.)

I don't know, with Weeds coming to an end this year and three more series (Dexter, The Big C, Borgias) supposedly on a limited life cycle, I'm feeling optimistic about Nevins at the moment. We'll see if he'll let a big hit like Homeland come to an end when it needs to, but the era of Showtime's never-ending shows might be over. Hopefully.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I don't know, with Weeds coming to an end this year and three more series (Dexter, The Big C, Borgias) supposedly on a limited life cycle, I'm feeling optimistic about Nevins at the moment. We'll see if he'll let a big hit like Homeland come to an end when it needs to, but the era of Showtime's never-ending shows might be over. Hopefully.

But Weeds is coming to an end after 8 seasons, and Dexter will be ending after its 8th as well. The Big C (which will have 4 seasons) and The Borgias (which is also supposed to end after 4 seasons) were never very popular to begin with, but if they were anywhere as popular as the Weeds and Dexter, we'd probably be getting several more seasons of each.

I hope you're right, but Homeland is, like, Showtime's new hotness and I don't think there's any way Showtime will let it end in 3 or 4 seasons. (unless Claire Daines and Damien Lewis refuse to sign on for more seasons)

I hope you're right, but Homeland is, like, Showtime's new hotness and I don't think there's any way Showtime will let it end in 3 or 4 seasons. (unless Claire Daines and Damien Lewis refuse to sign on for more seasons)

No, but I could see it ending after five or six. Hopefully one or both of Showtime's new shows catch on so that they don't need to rely on latter day Homeland. They also have Shameless which could conceivably run for ages.

big ander

Five would be my optimistic guess. Though you could be right about Shameless, that show could go on for a long long time and with one other big show, Nevins could make the choice to give Homeland a tighter story.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
No, but I could see it ending after five or six. Hopefully one or both of Showtime's new shows catch on so that they don't need to rely on latter day Homeland. They also have Shameless which could conceivably run for ages.

Sure. That would make for a total of 8 seasons, which is probably how many seasons this show will have. Shameless could go on for a while. Hopefully they don't run it into the ground.

I don't care what anybody says, I'm a Carrie/Brody shipper.
You can't help but root for them out at the cabin, even knowing that it's going to end poorly, which it does. The background with Saul's road trip back from Mexico with Aileen where they're talking about busted relationships doesn't help.

You can't help but root for them out at the cabin, even knowing that it's going to end poorly, which it does. The background with Saul's road trip back from Mexico with Aileen where they're talking about busted relationships doesn't help.
just reminds me how many great moments/episodes there were in the first season.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I must be the only one who didn't really care for "The Weekend". I mean, it was good, but I didn't think it was that great. A lot of TV critics seemed to think that it was the single best episode of television produced last year, which baffles me a bit. I was never really a fan of Carrie + Brody, and I didn't really buy into their relationship. "The Weekend" was good, but no better than any episode of Homeland that came before or after it.

I must be the only one who didn't really care for "The Weekend". I mean, it was good, but I didn't think it was that great. A lot of TV critics seemed to think that it was the single best episode of television produced last year, which baffles me a bit. I was never really a fan of Carrie + Brody, and I didn't really buy into their relationship. "The Weekend" was good, but no better than any episode of Homeland that came before or after it.

I think every episode is consistently flat lined at 'good' with tons of spikes all over that dip into 'amazing' territory. I thought "The Weekend" was fairly flat....

It was good, but I'd say the peak was "The Vest" (more specifically Carrie's amazing meltdown) and the final episode (yeah I loved the finale a lot - suck it!)

Fry

I think The Weekend is one of my favorites. Especially because of these two segments:

'How do you know what tea I drink?'

'You're telling me the fucking CIA thinks I'm working for Al Qaeda?'

Sure. That would make for a total of 8 seasons, which is probably how many seasons this show will have. Shameless could go on for a while. Hopefully they don't run it into the ground.

I meant five or six seasons total. Eight is hardly an improvement from current/past Showtime.

It was more in the way it played with expectations, with the series' entire setup to that point being destroyed. I think it strains credulity a bit with the way Brody mentions everything that is known to the audience and nothing more, but it's still one of the season's highlights.

I think every episode is consistently flat lined at 'good' with tons of spikes all over that dip into 'amazing' territory. I thought "The Weekend" was fairly flat....

It was good, but I'd say the peak was "The Vest" (more specifically Carrie's amazing meltdown) and the final episode (yeah I loved the finale a lot - suck it!)

Good man. I think I'm going to rewatch the last two episodes before the new season starts.

Solo

Based on the fact that there isn't a single new 2012 show I have any interest in watching, and how good the first 90% of S1 was, I have decided that I will throw caution to the wind and keep watching the show in S2.

Reward me, Homeland!

My lawd

It's awkward because I associate Danes so strongly with My So-Called Life that even now, sexualized images of her just seem wrong.

Watch My So-Called Life, everyone.

I don't care what anybody says, I'm a Carrie/Brody shipper. They best hook up this season and have copious amounts of crazy lovemaking.

Ditto. That she is the only one who understands him is really compelling and I liked how that played into her stopping his plot via his daughter. Wouldn't mind the end game of the series be something like them teaming up to take down the evil VP.

Fry

Episode 2.01 - The Smile

Short Synopsis
A former asset threatens Carrie's peace; Brody learns Nazir may not be happy with a non-violent approach; Dana lets a secret slip.

Who's creating S2's OT?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Showtime Launches New Alternate Reality Game in Support of 'Homeland' Second Season

SHOWTIME has launched a new Digital Media campaign in support of the season two premiere of its Golden Globe®-winning and Emmy® Award nominated hit series Homeland, available now on ItHitsHome.com. With this alternate reality journey, fans of the series will be able to bridge the gap between seasons one and two, with a site set inside the world of Homeland, complete with the twists and narrative turns that the show's viewers have come to expect. New portals will be unveiled every week, until the series returns to SHOWTIME for a second season on Sunday, September 30th at 10 p.m. ET/PT.

ItHitsHome.com picks up where viewers left off at the end of Homeland season one – with Carrie Mathison on a hospital bed, about to undergo her first round of electroconvulsive therapy. Fans are then given a special mission directly from Carrie – by digging deeper into the characters and their activities introduced in the first season, viewers are able to prevent a new incident. Through a series of video and audio artifacts, documents, and unique interactive events, fans will have a chance to surveil a travel agency in real-time, interrogate a prisoner, and finally gather the evidence needed to thwart the enemy.

Dany

Banned
I'm going to start this show tonight, I hope to finish by sunday.

Well, lets just see if the show is good to begin with...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom